TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsorships are kinda a big deal in the cycling profession. So walking around in the gear provided only to sponsored professional at a sponsored event when you are neither a professional nor sponsored is extremely odd.

Imagine you bring a date to a business event and your date is walking around with you, introducing themselves to your coworkers and boss, and wearing a name tag pretending to be CEO, and not as a joke. It’s kinda like that.
In this case the clothing was for sale, it was a line of bike wear for anyone to buy, associated with him. Kind of like buying a hockey jersey with a players name.

ETA but as posted above, perhaps forbidden by contract...?

In this case the clothing was for sale, it was a line of bike wear for anyone to buy, associated with him. Kind of like buying a hockey jersey with a players name.

Maybe he wanted to be the king prancing around in it during that event, so all the admiration would be focused on him.

Thanks. I still don’t understand why he wouldn’t want her to wear the gear. Weird. Wasn’t like he was hiding her. She appeared in a photo in an article about his Wheelhouse Mobile business, just 2 weeks before the murder. Art on Wheels: Colin Strickland’s Retirement Plan – Gideon Tsang & Colin Strikland
This article was really enlightening in regards to CS general approach to life. The last line in this quote struck me as a bit foretelling even though he’s referring to bike racing.

The time. Being a pro bike racer is extremely time and energy-intensive. Especially in the endurance distance gravel events I’ve found myself in. When you fully embrace the “bike racer lifestyle,” like constant travel across the world for training and racing, and spending every day out riding, it can be fantastic, and beautifully simple. But if you try to short-change it by taking on other interests or responsibilities, bike racing becomes a scornful mister/ess.”

The boyfriend at the center of the 'killer' yoga teacher murder trial was so agitated as he left court yesterday that he went out of his way to stamp on a press cameraman's foot.

Colin Strickland, 37, had been testifying against his ex, defendant Kaitlin Armstrong, when he stormed out of the court on his way back to his car, trailed by the media.

In a video filmed by NewsNation's Alex Caprariello, the cameraman can be heard yelling 'ouch!' after Strickland's outburst.

It was his second such assault on a member of the press. He was also seen batting away a news camera while inside the courthouse earlier in the day.

Well, isn't he a 'peach' ? :rolleyes:
Colin wouldn't appreciate it if he was on the receiving end.
Omo.

The way I see it: CS goes straight really trying to keep the straight line, head down. The NN reporter virtually shoves the camera in his face. What CS doesn't do is step aside but his "right of way" - maybe he felt it was invasion of privacy? Usually "my" personal space is extended hand, so if the cameraman was closer, he might have been viewed as if in CS's private space. People perceive it differently. This is why arguments happen.
(Maybe the cameraman has a case. Maybe not. Doing his work, all right, but - how to we respond to telemarketers, all these useless calls, political spamming, everyone who distracts us? I block everyone, immediately.)

There's no way to confirm this was true on the subject race day 2019!

For example, the supplier link is from 8 June 2021 and prices probably reflect the dated merchandise.

CS won the 2019 Dirty Kanza and probably retailed at $2K+.

Another reason why Sponsors are so strict to prohibit pre-release of product before race day including available to family and friends is there is a huge problem with counterfeit Sports merchandise. JME

ETA: Official Athlete Strata racewear
1699408655561.png

Retail June 2021: Strata Pro Team Aero Jersey - £145
1699408768253.png

Racewear
Retailer

Last edited:
Moriah Wilson wrote about her experience at the Mid-South race in March 2022. This is the last paragraph.

Most importantly, I learned a valuable lesson about risk. More often than not, I think we evaluate the risk of taking some sort of action, versus the risk of not taking action. Taking action requires stepping into the unknown – which can be scary, and uncertain. But what if the risk is really more about chance? And what if the real risk lies in the lack of action when lack of action opens the door to chance? By not acting – by not chasing after Lauren – I gave up my control. I left the race open to chance. The chance that she would blow up, or not find another group of riders to work with, or any other number of variables that were outside of my control. And that lack of control – not the unknown – seems to be the biggest risk of them all. Sure, maybe I wouldn’t have been able to hold her wheel. Maybe she was the stronger rider on the day. At this point, I’ll never know. I feel a tinge of regret as I look back on this moment, but I’m trying to not be too hard on myself. There will be more opportunities to take what I learned at Mid South and apply it to other moments, both in cycling and in life.

Next time I won’t risk taking the safer option. Next time, I will go.

There's no way to confirm this was true on the subject race day 2019!

For example, the supplier link is from 8 June 2021 and prices probably reflect the dated merchandise.

CS won the 2019 Dirty Kanza and probably retailed at $2K+.

Another reason why Sponsors are so strict to prohibit pre-release of product before race day including available to family and friends is there is a huge problem with counterfeit Sports merchandise. JME
Good point. And we don’t really know how CS told KA not to wear her outfit. And whether he explained why. Did he just state “you’re not wearing that” in an arrogant tone with no explanation, thus pissing her off, causing her to rebel and wear it? Maybe she had no idea of his reasoning.

Surely she’d know if this event was going to have a big announcement of his gear (was there such?) that she wouldn’t want to jeopardize the sponsorship (I.e., income).

The way I see it: CS goes straight really trying to keep the straight line, head down. The NN reporter virtually shoves the camera in his face. What CS doesn't do is step aside but his "right of way" - maybe he felt it was invasion of privacy? Usually "my" personal space is extended hand, so if the cameraman was closer, he might have been viewed as if in CS's private space. People perceive it differently. This is why arguments happen.
(Maybe the cameraman has a case. Maybe not. Doing his work, all right, but - how to we respond to telemarketers, all these useless calls, political spamming, everyone who distracts us? I block everyone, immediately.)
Respectfully, it is quite a reach to try to equate a cameraman for a news station shooting video of a witness in a high-profile murder case to "Bob" calling to try to sell me something or me getting a spam text. We may just have to agree to disagree, but imo, there is NO justification for the action he took against the photog, who was merely doing his job. He was very clearly not walking in a straight line, but purposely stepped to the side to basically almost brush against the guy as he stepped on his foot. And you may perceive your personal space to be a 6 foot circle around you, but that is your issue, not the issue of everyone who gets close to you.

I am sure there have been many times when CS loved having cameras on him. When winning a race, I doubt he was as concerned with his "personal space" when cameras were close by. Unfortunately for him, his actions against the camera operators in this trial have gotten him far more widespread publicity than any race ever did. JMO

Last edited:
This article was really enlightening in regards to CS general approach to life. The last line in this quote struck me as a bit foretelling even though he’s referring to bike racing.

The time. Being a pro bike racer is extremely time and energy-intensive. Especially in the endurance distance gravel events I’ve found myself in. When you fully embrace the “bike racer lifestyle,” like constant travel across the world for training and racing, and spending every day out riding, it can be fantastic, and beautifully simple. But if you try to short-change it by taking on other interests or responsibilities, bike racing becomes a scornful mister/ess.”

What point was he trying to make in this statement? It’s word salad.

“Time and energy intensive, constant travel across the world for racing and training” How is that beautifully simple? When I think of beautiful and simple I don’t think in terms of anything that is time/energy intensive and constant travel.

There is nothing beautiful to me about sitting in a commercial airport with lines and stressed people everywhere.

I think it is a stretch to say the attention he is getting for stepping on a photographer’s foot is more coverage than he got as a cyclist. I imagine very few people who aren’t following this case know anything of the incident. CS was a well-known cycling personality, why oh why are people minimizing that? Why aren’t they doing the same to Moriah? I get what there is good an evil in this world, but the attempts to classify all victims as angels and anyone associated with the perpetrators as devils is so strange!

As I look through older articles, I saw something that I had missed that caught my eye. Was CS being untruthful? Could KA have been texting MW, pretending to be CS? What do my fellow WS’ers think?

On May 21, 2022, Wilson’s family issued a statement to KXAN clarifying details surrounding Wilson’s alleged romantic relationship with Strickland.

“While we will not elaborate about the ongoing investigation, we do feel it’s important to clarify that at the time of her death, those closest to her clearly understood, directly from Moriah, that she was not in a romantic relationship with anyone,” the family wrote in the statement.

Investigators said based on a search of Wilson’s phone, text messages indicated she was “still in a romantic relationship with Strickland even though he was currently dating Armstrong.”

The family’s statement contradicted investigators’ assessment.

TIMELINE: Ahead of Kaitlin Armstrong’s trial, a look back at pro-cyclist murder case

Good point. And we don’t really know how CS told KA not to wear her outfit. And whether he explained why. Did he just state “you’re not wearing that” in an arrogant tone with no explanation, thus pissing her off, causing her to rebel and wear it? Maybe she had no idea of his reasoning.

Surely she’d know if this event was going to have a big announcement of his gear (was there such?) that she wouldn’t want to jeopardize the sponsorship (I.e., income).

Unfortunately, I now know more about this bloody 2019 Strata Collection from the 2019 Dirty Kanza than I ever hoped for! I think since CS helped with the design, KA was likely aware -- and probably why he was sure to gift her clothing from the Collection.

This ill-mannered dude just can't win! :p

CS Strata gravel clothing

Rapha partnered with a British clothing company for the Strata Collection of gravel riding gear with input from CS.

Collection features a geological pattern inspired by [Strickland's] home state of Texas and includes a gravel-specific version of our elite-level race bib shorts.

The Colin Strickland Strata collection is completed by the addition of the Pro Team socks (£15) and a cap (£15). There are also men’s and a women’s training jerseys (£85) coming soon, but Rapha doesn’t yet have an availability date for this just yet.

ETA - The 2019 Dirty Kanza was a huge win for CS and his Sponsors. He wasn't even mentioned in the 2019 line up. This was his first Dirty Kanza after being denied through the lottery process in 2018.

And all for not -- by May 2022, CS lost all his Sponsors including Specialized, Enve, Rafa, Allied, and more.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I now know more about this bloody 2019 Strata Collection from the 2019 Dirty Kanza than I ever hoped for! I think since CS helped with the design, KA was likely aware -- and probably why he was sure to gift her clothing from the Collection.

This ill-mannered dude just can't win! :p

Rapha partnered with a British clothing company for the Strata Collection of gravel riding gear with input from CS.

Collection features a geological pattern inspired by [Strickland's] home state of Texas and includes a gravel-specific version of our elite-level race bib shorts.

The Colin Strickland Strata collection is completed by the addition of the Pro Team socks (£15) and a cap (£15). There are also men’s and a women’s training jerseys (£85) coming soon, but Rapha doesn’t yet have an availability date for this just yet.

ETA 2.0 - The 2019 Dirty Kanza was a huge win for CS and his Sponsors, and he's not even mentioned in the 2019 line up. This was his first Dirty Kanza after being denied through the lottery process in 2018.

They are on eBay for over $300!

Thanks. I still don’t understand why he wouldn’t want her to wear the gear. Weird. Wasn’t like he was hiding her. She appeared in a photo in an article about his Wheelhouse Mobile business, just 2 weeks before the murder. Art on Wheels: Colin Strickland’s Retirement Plan – Gideon Tsang & Colin Strikland
I think I can kind of figure out his thought process here, not that I think it’s kind or acceptable.

For her to show up at the race in his branded racing kit would make it appear that they are equals racing on a team together, and are both sponsored as a pair. He’s always been clear that she’s an amateur racer, he’s a pro. I wouldn’t be surprised that it’s not necessarily a power trip over her, he was just embarrassed <modsnip> For him it’s like his amateur non-racer aunt wearing a cycling kit when she’s not even competing and he’s embarrassed about it.

As stated above Rapha sold it to consumers and they actually allowed consumers to return it free of charge regardless of condition after this terrible thing happened. So anyone could wear it. It was supposed to be sold to consumers, that’s why that deal happened. He just didn’t like Kaitlin wearing it because he didn’t feel she represents him. Similar to the clothing anecdote, he just really didn’t like her and was rude to her and did not step up to end it.

<modsnip: not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Defense asking about a dish kept in the living room where they keep their keys. Now asking about marijuana and magic mushrooms kept in the home that police found during search warrant. The weed was his, the shrooms were Armstrong's, Colin says.
8:51 AM · Nov 6, 2023

Thinking about the magic mushrooms -- I wonder if KA was a frequent user and whether or not this may have contributed to her paranoia about CS and other women and/or teammates.

I'm reminded of the Alaska Airlines pilot who recently tried to engage the fire suppression system (cuts off fuel) while catching a ride to SFO WA's Paine Field-- endangering the lives of about 200 passengers and crew onboard. (He too told authorities he had taken magic mushrooms 48 hours earlier).

I assume there are legalities involved when a sponsor pays a cyclist and provides them clothing with their logo. They specifically chose that cyclist to represent their brand. If KA was wearing clothes the sponsor intended for CS I imagine it would cause problems. MOO.

I think since CS helped with the design, KA was likely aware -- and probably why he was sure to gift her clothing from the Collection.

<snipped for focus>

Doesn't seem that this guy was happy with anything KA wore, even when it was something of his own design.

Also, I think there is a good chance that KA helped with the design, although without recognition.

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Defense asking about a dish kept in the living room where they keep their keys. Now asking about marijuana and magic mushrooms kept in the home that police found during search warrant. The weed was his, the shrooms were Armstrong's, Colin says.

Thinking about the magic mushrooms -- I wonder if KA was a frequent user and whether or not this may have contributed to her paranoia about CS and other women and/or teammates.

I'm reminded of the Alaska Airlines pilot who recently tried to engage the fire suppression system (cuts off fuel) while catching a ride to SFO WA's Paine Field-- endangering the lives of about 200 passengers and crew onboard. (He too told authorities he had taken magic mushrooms 48 hours earlier).
According to TA, she used mushrooms.

Armstrong used the alias Ari Martin when she met Teal Akerson outside a tattoo shop, eventually exchanging numbers, he told the Austin American-Statesman.

After he took her to dinner one night, he leaned in for a kiss but “Ari” just wanted to be friends, he told the newspaper.

“We went on a couple of dates, but she said that she had just been through a real traumatizing breakup and she hadn’t healed from it yet and wasn’t ready to get close at all,” he said. The pair smoked marijuana and the fugitive talked about getting hallucinogenic mushrooms as well, he claimed.

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

<snipped for focus>

The weed was his...the shrooms were hers, Colin says.

Edited to add: Not sure that I would believe anything that Colin says at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aholloway14744