TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

Chasteen says she did not tell her husband that Colin had cheated when Armstrong confided that to her. She says she did not share with her husband that Armstrong had mentioned a gun and killing someone. Chasteen says she didn't take Armstrong seriously in that moment.

4:40 PM · Nov 8, 2023

I think as much as she can, without committing perjury, Christy will do and say everything she can to protect her sister. I guess I will have to give her a pass on that, though I really think she aided and abetted KA's escape, and maybe even helped plan it. I hope she will testify honestly, but I fully expect her to have a lot of memory lapses.
Oh noooo... I don't think anyone can handle more "I don't recall" comments!

Meredith Aldis
@MeredithonFOX7

Jacqueline Chasteen takes the stand. She met Strickland & Armstrong through the cycling community.
She says when they were in Bentonville together, Armstrong was visually upset & said Strickland had cheated on her, but they were back together and working on their relationship.
4:23 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Chasteen says Armstrong was upset Wilson was still texting Strickland & that Strickland told Wilson to leave him alone, but she was continuing to talk with him.
Chasteen says Armstrong told her she was going to kill Wilson & she said “no, you don’t understand, I bought a gun.”
4:27 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Chasteen says when she found out Wilson was killed & that Strickland was the last person she was with, she gasped & thought about that conversation she had with Armstrong.
I was wrong, Mertz was not the anonymous caller to APD, Chasteen said she was. Very similar testimonies.
4:33 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Defense asks a question and includes 'APD' in it. Chasteen says she doesn’t know who 'APD' is. (She lives in Bentonville, AR)
She asks him to repeat the question.
Chasteen: “You threw me off.” “Good job”
Some jurors chuckle.
4:49 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Next witness: Jacqueline Chasteen, lives in Bentonville, Arkansas. She and her husband are heavily involved in cycling community.Chasteen met Colin and then met Armstrong through Colin. Her husband was a photographer who would shoot races.

In Bentonville, similar to Austin, there is also a restaurant called The Meteor. It is a local hangout for cyclists. It is the same chain as the one in #ATX.Chasteen met Armstrong in 2019 when they were staying with Strickland for his birthday. She and her husband stayed at Colin's home. Upon meeting Armstrong, the two women became friends.

Chasteen says she would see Armstrong a few times a year. She became closer with Kaitlin and would send occasional messages on IG and FB.Observations of Colin/Armstrong relationship: In the beginning, Colin was head over heels. Toward 2021, they weren't doing well. Armstrong confided she didn't know where the relationship stood. Chasteen says that Colin kept Armstrong at "an arms distance." He would say he didn't have a girlfriend.

Chasteen recalls an afterparty at the Meteor in Bentonville. Upon arrival, Armstrong was shooken up. She was trembling and shaking. She told Chasteen that she had found out that Colin had cheated on her but they were back together. Chasteen says Armstrong said Colin had cheated on her with Mo.

Wilson was also at the Meteor at this moment, which is why she believed Armstrong was so upset. Armstrong tells her that Mo was still texting him and reaching out. Armstrong told her that Colin was trying to keep Mo away, but Mo wouldn't leave him alone.

Chasteen did not see Strickland or Wilson interact that night. Chasteen did not see Armstrong or Wilson interact that night.The next day, Chasteen texted Armstrong, thanking her for sharing that information. Chasteen didn't think that they were close enough to share those things, so she thanked her for her honesty and offered support.

We are now looking at those text messages between Chasteen and Armstrong. The date is 1/31/22."Was really good seeing you this weekend. I appreciate you sharing last night and I'm really sorry you're going through this right now. You deserve someone that makes you feel loved. Whoever that might be. Let's go on a trip soon. I'm thinking March.”

Chasteen on the witness stand: "I had told her I was sorry, that I was going through this. She had described how Colin had cheated but while she was describing that, she had said in so many words that she wanted to kill her. That she had thought about it. But how she said it at the time I didn't take it seriously...she said something to the effect that she had bought a gun... I do know the words kill and the words gun were used.”

New texts on screen from Armstrong to Chasteen: "So nice to see you. Sorry to unload so many emotions, it just all came spilling and you being there for me really meant a lot. Definitely available. I would love that.”

Response from Chasteen: "I was happy you felt comfortable talking to me. Anytime you need someone to listen don't hesitate to text or call.”

In the courtroom, Chasteen says she did not know Armstrong liked or owned guns. Had never seen her shoot a gun.In the spring of 2022, Chasteen recalls seeing IG pictures of KA in Mexico alone. Chasteen asked if her and Colin were okay, and Armstrong said yes.

Chasteen says her husband called her after he was contacted informing him that Mo Wilson was killed. She says he didn't have any information about it, but said it might be a burglary. They hang up, but later, he calls again and says that Strickland was the last person Mo was seen with.Hearing this, Chasteen gasped, recalling the conversation she had with Kaitlin at the Meteor.

Chasteen reaches out to APD after sleeping on it. Called the next morning and told them what she knew. At first, she was anonymous. Later on, she revealed her identity to APD.

During the course of the investigation, Chasteen agreed to give her name and be identified. She wanted to be anonymous at first because she didn't want to be wrapped up in the murder. No further questions from the state.

Defense's turn:

Asking about the races in Arkansas. Who attended them? Q: Was Moriah a big name in cycling? The It-Girl of those races in 2022? A: Yes.

Q: Is that why it would be such a big deal that she had been murdered? A: Yes, it was shocking to me.

Her husband did social media for various cycling sponsorships, which is why Chasteen's husband was initially notified. He would have to put out some sort of press release/social post about the event.Defense questions why first phone call from her husband referenced burglary? 2nd phone call really helped her paint the imagery of Armstrong being involved.

Chasteen says there were previous text messages between her and Armstrong before the text messages we viewed on scene. Chasteen says she provided those texts to the district attorney and APD.

Chasteen can't recall if Armstrong stayed at Colin's home the evenings that she and her husband stayed in #ATX to help Colin shoot some social media videos. Chasteen says the two had just started dating.

Chasteen says she did not tell her husband that Colin had cheated when Armstrong confided that to her. She says she did not share with her husband that Armstrong had mentioned a gun and killing someone. Chasteen says she didn't take Armstrong seriously in that moment.

Witness dismissed.Next witness. Keith Cox, General Manager, Carmax. Says there is surveillance video at the dealership.

Meredith Aldis
@MeredithonFOX7

Jacqueline Chasteen takes the stand. She met Strickland & Armstrong through the cycling community.
She says when they were in Bentonville together, Armstrong was visually upset & said Strickland had cheated on her, but they were back together and working on their relationship.
4:23 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Chasteen says Armstrong was upset Wilson was still texting Strickland & that Strickland told Wilson to leave him alone, but she was continuing to talk with him.
Chasteen says Armstrong told her she was going to kill Wilson & she said “no, you don’t understand, I bought a gun.”
4:27 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Chasteen says when she found out Wilson was killed & that Strickland was the last person she was with, she gasped & thought about that conversation she had with Armstrong.
I was wrong, Mertz was not the anonymous caller to APD, Chasteen said she was. Very similar testimonies.
4:33 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Defense asks a question and includes 'APD' in it. Chasteen says she doesn’t know who 'APD' is. (She lives in Bentonville, AR)
She asks him to repeat the question.
Chasteen: “You threw me off.” “Good job”
Some jurors chuckle.
4:49 PM · Nov 8, 2023
IF KA told a casual friend she'd bought a gun, and wanted to kill her, then I think she definitely would have told her sister, Christie, what she did. That just occurred to me after reading the testimony on her honesty with casual friends.

Witnesses confirm that the couple were broken up "for good" in October as CS first described but I think KA had another plan and why she formed the LLC for Wheelhouse after the breakup and convinced CS it was too messy to go their separate ways = CS statement the couple lacked inertia to end the relationship because of business.

This has become nothing but a relationship of convenience and CS probably resenting KA with each passing day.

KA tells others she could kill MW, thinking about getting a gun, and suddenly CS and KA ride their bikes to the gun store early 2022, and now KA has a gun.

KA wants the dream. Accepts it's not ever going to happen and if she can't have CS, she's going to guarantee that CS never has a chance with MW, period. KA not accepting CS did not share her feelings and made MW out to be the bad, the source of the couples problems. Never mind the relationship never had a chance -- it had run its course. JMO

@alcaprari23

Mertz says Armstrong told her in Oct. 2021 that "they were breaking up for good but they would be in business together and would still be very close and would be in each other's lives."In Nov. 2021, Mertz recounts a big group at the Meteor. Armstrong was quiet, which was not like her. Armstrong told her that Mo was in town with Strickland and she was upset. Colin had brought her to Justine's the night before, which she knew from an email Colin received from OpenTable.Mo walked into the Meteor, but left pretty quickly. Armstrong saw Mo walk in. Armstrong told Mertz that Mo was there. When she told Mertz, "she was pretty angry. Visibly angry. I had never seen her like that before, which is why I remembered it."
12:58 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Mertz recalls asking Armstrong what she would do if Colin ever dated someone else. "[Armstrong] said she would kill her," Mertz testifies. #KaitlinArmstrong
12:59 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Mertz says she remembers Armstrong telling her that she had called Mo earlier that day. Armstrong told Mo that she and Strickland were living together and in business together," Mertz says.
1:00 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Chasteen recalls an afterparty [1/30/22] at the Meteor in Bentonville. Upon arrival, Armstrong was shooken up. She was trembling and shaking. She told Chasteen that she had found out that Colin had cheated on her but they were back together. Chasteen says Armstrong said Colin had cheated on her with Mo.
1:18 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Wilson was also at the Meteor at this moment, which is why she believed Armstrong was so upset. Armstrong tells her that Mo was still texting him and reaching out. Armstrong told her that Colin was trying to keep Mo away, but Mo wouldn't leave him alone.
1:19 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Guns are popular in Texas. Almost everyone I know in Texas not only owns a gun but was raised to shoot as a young child. I highly doubt he was ever raised in Texas without learning how to shoot. Even cyclists I know in Texas also own and know how to shoot.
Don't forget he was raised by hippies. He repairs his own clothes rather than buy new. I can believe he may not have been raised shooting guns. MOO

Witnesses confirm that the couple were broken up "for good" in October as CS first described but I think KA had another plan and why she formed the LLC for Wheelhouse after the breakup and convinced CS it was too messy to go their separate ways = CS statement the couple lacked inertia to end the relationship because of business.
RSBM. Agreed. KA could have even led him on to believe that she'd be moving out "once she had enough funds to do so" and then if he never brought up the topic again - because why would he, he had someone to sleep with at night - the inertia sunk in. I'll bet s-e-x had a lot to do with this, too. It's not like they weren't being intimate. We've read the opposite.

@alcaprari23

Cox describes what will happen if someone wants to sell their car: Check-In with seller, Review of vehicle, make assessment. Driver's license will be scanned and title verification will be conducted.Looking at an appraisal offer dated 5/13/22 for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Offer went to Kaitlyn (sic). No last name listed. Address listed is Armstrong's business address. Offer is $12,200.

4:54 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Carmax offers seven days for seller to consider the offer. Certificate of Title (with correct name spelling) shows that the car was sold the same date it was appraised. We are seeing a Xerox of Armstrong's drivers license.

4:55 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Scrolling down to page 17 of the Carmax paperwork, you can see Kaitlin Armstrong's signature.We are now looking at video footage from Carmax. You can see a woman, presumably Armstrong, sitting in a lounge. She is wearing a white t-shirt, blue leggings, green hat and her hair is braided. She is plugging a cellphone into a wall outlet. She has two phones in her lap. She sits casually as another customer sits and looks at his phone four seats down.

5:00 PM · Nov 8, 2023

“Mertz recalls asking Armstrong what she would do if Colin ever dated someone else.”

This seems like an odd ask to me. KA must have REALLY been exhibiting unhinged behavior, and more than just a statement or so.
I think most adults have to expect that ex-partners will date again, even after marriages, which this was not.

*My opinion

@alcaprari23

No further questions. Defense's turn:Asking about location of Carmax. This car transaction was in Southeast Austin. Appraisal typically takes about an hour as professionals analyze the car's worth.Conditions accessed of Jeep: Damage on passenger rear door. Damage on quarter panel.Cox says 20-50 appraisals happen each day.

5:04 PM · Nov 8, 2023

“Mertz recalls asking Armstrong what she would do if Colin ever dated someone else.”

This seems like an odd ask to me. KA must have REALLY been exhibiting unhinged behavior, and more than just a statement or so.
I think most adults have to expect that ex-partners will date again, even after marriages, which this was not.

*My opinion
Agreed. Meaning "while KA was still with him" or EVER ?

@alcaprari23

No further questions. Defense's turn:Asking about location of Carmax. This car transaction was in Southeast Austin. Appraisal typically takes about an hour as professionals analyze the car's worth.Conditions accessed of Jeep: Damage on passenger rear door. Damage on quarter panel.Cox says 20-50 appraisals happen each day.

Which quarter panel? Is the rear passenger door damage visible in any of the videos? Where was the dent from the alleged vandalism?

@alcaprari23

No further questions from defense. State redirect.Clarifying about condition assessment. There is no specificity to the level of damage on the assessment. After sale, a reconditioning will be done on the car at the North Carmax location. Interestingly, the endorsement on the back of the check shows "pay to the order of Christine Armstrong." That is then crossed out and replaced with "Kaitlin Armstrong."

5:09 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Court is in a 10 minute recess.

5:10 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Didn't we read earlier the car at the dealership did NOT have a bike rack on it when the detective took out the Infotainment center? If that was true, when was that removed by KA?

Next witness. Keith Cox, General Manager, Carmax. Says there is surveillance video at the dealership.

Cox describes what will happen if someone wants to sell their car: Check-In with seller, Review of vehicle, make assessment. Driver's license will be scanned and title verification will be conducted.Looking at an appraisal offer dated 5/13/22 for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Offer went to Kaitlyn (sic). No last name listed. Address listed is Armstrong's business address. Offer is $12,200.

Carmax offers seven days for seller to consider the offer. Certificate of Title (with correct name spelling) shows that the car was sold the same date it was appraised. We are seeing a Xerox of Armstrong's drivers license.

Scrolling down to page 17 of the Carmax paperwork, you can see Kaitlin Armstrong's signature.We are now looking at video footage from Carmax. You can see a woman, presumably Armstrong, sitting in a lounge. She is wearing a white t-shirt, blue leggings, green hat and her hair is braided. She is plugging a cellphone into a wall outlet. She has two phones in her lap. She sits casually as another customer sits and looks at his phone four seats down.

No further questions from defense.

State redirect.

Clarifying about condition assessment. There is no specificity to the level of damage on the assessment. After sale, a reconditioning will be done on the car at the North Carmax location. Interestingly, the endorsement on the back of the check shows "pay to the order of Christine Armstrong." That is then crossed out and replaced with "Kaitlin Armstrong.”

Court is in a 10 minute recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member