TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next witness: Steven Aston, forensic scientist, specializes in firearm ballistic research and testing. Discussing bullet vs. cartridge comparisons. Studies the tool marks on the projectile and the tool marks on the cartridge to determine firearm source.

After about 30-45 minutes+ of Aston going through his credentials, Aston declares that he is a certified expert of firearms examinations. He claims he has never made a mistake in his work. We are now about to discuss Aston's work on the Armstrong case.

Aston discussing the testing of firearms. A weapon needing analysis is fired four times, the cartridge cases are recovered and so are the projectiles. These are called "knowns." They are then compared to the evidence found at the crime scene ("unknowns”).

There is a lot of firearm technical terms and jargon being thrown around. The prosecution is attempting to build credibility and foundation, but it is a tedious and technical testimony. Can't help but wonder if the jury is zoning out. You can definitely tell the gallery is.

Aston discussing the unique grooves and cuts inside the barrel of a gun, giving each bullet a distinct marking and adding stability to spiraling projectile.

Aston says he looks through a microscope upwards of 60x magnification to compare tool marks on knowns and unknowns side-by-side.

Aston discussing "individual characteristics" that a weapon has. Must look at the totality of their evidence and the level of agreement shown in test firings. Some jury members look bored. Mo's brother rests his head on a friend's shoulder and takes a nap. Can't blame him.

I remember during opening statements that the defense plans on pushing that ballistic science is not an exact science and can be easily misinterpreted. It's likely the reason why the prosecution is diving so deep into how Aston knows what he knows and what exactly ballistic examinations entail.

Here we go. Prosecution now asking about Aston's experience studying the Armstrong case. Aston was asked to perform two different sets of analysis.1) Provided three fired cartridge cases, two firearms, a magazine, a loader and a pistol case

Two guns examined: Sig Sauer 9mm pistol and a Springfield Armory EMP Roman 9mm pistol.

Aston being asked to examine spent 9mm cartridges cases that are inside a large, transparent ziploc evidence bags. Aston puts on black surgical gloves and removes one of the cartridges for the jury to see. You can see the unique identifier and Aston's initials.

Aston places the spent shell casing on a projector that displays it to the entire courtroom & jury. You can see the head stamp, the lettering "JAG" (manufacturer). You can see the silver primer and an hemispherical indentation from the firing pin.

The cartridge is then placed on its side on the projector. You can now see the profile of the case. The primer is on the left. Inside of it would have been the gunpowder and the projectile. Because this cartridge has already been fired, there is no bullet.

We are now looking at additional lab items. One item has moderate impact damage, another has heavy impact damage, the third is "five copper lead projectile fragments.”

More evidence being admitted: photographs of projectiles. They are being displayed to the jury. They are large yellow envelopes. They have Austin Police Department red tape on them. Orange labels show "Hazard: Handle with Gloves." You can see the case number and the word MURDER.

In a different photo, you can see the projectiles now placed on top of the manila envelopes. The first bullet has a red stain on it. The second bullet has hair attached to it. The third has reddish brown stains on it. Inside the final envelope are five copper/lead fragments.

Mo Wilson's mother has her head lowered toward her lap. Mo Wilson's father rubs her shoulders and neck. Mo Wilson's brother has stepped out of the courtroom. Kaitlin Armstrong is sitting still. She is blinking, but it is not clear what she is looking at. The jury is listening closely to Aston speak.

The bullets are heavily melted and disfigured. The first bullet is nearly flat. The fragments range in size.

Aston says he compared the casings found at the crime scene to those at the test firing lab. We are now looking at a side-by-side comparison.

The first photo shows a side-by-side comparison of two cartridges found at the crime scene. Aston says he was looking for agreement. The two cartridges show "significant agreement," Aston says.

Slight disagreements are expected because of the pressure it takes to fire a bullet from a gun, Aston says. It may cause the images to not line up perfectly. But he says he is looking for majority agreement.

Now it's time to compare the cartridges found at the crime scene to the cartridges from the test firing. Aston: "Just like we saw when we compared those from the scene, we are seeing the same amount of agreement from the bottom all the way to the top.""When you look at the gouges, this line, that line... we are still seeing the same amount of agreement that we saw on the evidence" from the crime scene.

If you are trying to picture this in your head, think of pictures of highly magnified copper magazines. You can see every single groove, line and detail. On the left is the crime scene magazine, on the right is the test firing.- The two photos are lined up perfectly so that one photo seemingly blends into the other. This is what Aston means when he says "agreement.”

Aston says he was able to reach a conclusion: That the crime scene projectiles were fired from the Sig Sauer 9mm. Following the test firings, he was able to definitively eliminate the Springfield 9mm from contention as the weapon used in the killing of Mo Wilson.

Witness passed.

-- Defense's turn

Defense asks if Aston is an expert of JAG and ammunition. Also asks if his line of work should be considered as subjective opinion. Aston agrees, yes, the findings are his opinion.

Context: JAG was printed on the shell casings. JAG was bought out by Ammo Inc in 2019. But JAG is not the only headstamp found on Ammo Inc. ammunition and JAG headstamps are pretty common, in general.

Defense is reading an article from the Association of Firearms and Tool Mark Examiners which posited that agreement lines found in test firings might closely resemble two different guns. A good strategy to add doubt in the minds of the jurors of the credibility of the testimony.

Defense is really hounding the witness on his credibility and his profession. Aston says he has never failed a proficiency test for ballistics testing or made a mistake on a proficiency test.

Aston clarifying tool mark examinations versus firearms examinations. Aston is a tool mark examiner, meaning he can also study markings from screwdrivers, hammers and other tools. Aston says he doesn't deal with numbers or data, so his work is subjective by nature.

Aston says there is no "quantity of agreement" for him to call evidence he is eyeballing a match. No minimum points of agreement to meet a threshold. Therefore, the agreement levels can differ examiner-to-examiner.

Court has adjourned for the evening. Thanks for following along. See you back here bright and early tomorrow.

I don't know man. If I had a sibling who somehow acquired my passport and used it in such a nefarious way, and for whom the evidence piles up to show almost certain guilt, I don't think I would be supporting them in court.

IMHO, it's because you won't support in court your sibling in similar circumstances, i.e., you show fairness and sense of justice, your sibling would know better than using your passport while abroad and a fugitive. In contrast to it, KA knew she could rely on her sister 100%.

I would expect mothers to stand by their kids, because there is the bond of shared destiny through giving birth. A younger sister who has a life to live, should probably stay away from being an accomplice. I wonder if CA was subjected to certain manipulation by KA. Either this, or, CA could, too, be afraid of KA.

One wonders. CS had the reputation of a guy who would not commit, plus, an independent elite athlete. His business association with KA was not a monopoly. He didn't want to publicly admit she was his GF. Then why he bought KA a gun, gave her passcodes to his accounts and devices, hid stuff from her. Perhaps the underlying reason for his "inertia" was fear? If so, was KA scary to others, including her sister? If after the murder, two of KA's friends, serendipitously called LE with their suspicions, one wonders how many people were afraid of her? Maybe people didn't fall for her, but succumbed to her strong, oppressive, controlling personality?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the updates! I wonder if someone can answer a question for me, as I know nothing about guns. Was the gun that matched the bullets just the same model as KA's or was it the exact gun she used? And what about the other gun that didn't match, why was that chosen as a comparator? Was it another possible suspect's (eg CS) or just the same size?

Thanks in advance!

The timeline of events is jumping around as these witnesses are called. But I believe that these events all occur in January 2022:
  • KA learns that CS ”cheated” on her with MW during their breakup in October/November 2021
  • KA tells her friend she wants to kill MW
  • KA goes to the shooting range to practice using her gun
IMO this shows that she started planning this murder months ahead of time. Which makes sense to me because I have wondered how she was able to keep such a cool head in aftermath of the murder and plan her escape out of the country, create alternate identities, and arrange plastic surgery etc.. so efficiently.
KA knew in October/November that CS and MW were romantically involved. There was testimony that KA told friends she "learned he cheated" in January, however there was also a text revealed that she texted a friend (male I think) on his birthday (Nov 7) saying it's his birthday and he has a 24 year old at his home who may or may not have moved here and here I am alone... Also, I believe there was testimony that she saw a dinner reservation in his email for the October time frame that he was romantically involved with MW. Additionally, KA told a friend we have broken up for good this time, but we will still do business together and be in eachothers lives. So that is hardly "cheating"

I think the statement in January was possibly to gain sympathy from friends? get them on her side? and maybe she realized that the communication was ongoing at this point. I think we have heard that in January MW was confused about where the relationship stood, though she thought it was probably just friends, she had some confusion.

Almost like she has a multiple personality disorder, lol.
Underdeveloped personality disorder.... undeveloped personality disorder.... everybody else's personality disorder... sociopathic... multiple ID disorder....

How ever we try to explain her, she plotted, brooded, prepared for months before killing a vibrant young women who had dinner with her undefined relationship partner.

Cold.

Cruel.

The entitlement is terrifying.

JMO

IMHO, it's because you won't support in court your sibling in similar circumstances, i.e., you show fairness and sense of justice, your sibling would know better than using your passport while abroad and a fugitive. In contrast to it, KA knew she could rely on her sister 100%.

I would expect mothers to stand by their kids, because there is the bond of shared destiny through giving birth. A younger sister who has a life to live, should probably stay away from being an accomplice. I wonder if CA was subjected to certain manipulation by KA. Either this, or, CA could, too, be afraid of KA.
(snipped respectfully for focus)
Full agreement. All MOO—from my observation of the personal histories & interpersonal dynamics/media of this case since it broke, this has been my view. A classic dominantor/enabler(s) situation.

Fortunately, the cycling peers have enough personal distance/support/sense of safety/ego strength to testify re: the Hyde side of KA.

The passport, the lost days in between landing in Newark/taking off to CR, sibling body language, other factors set off my family system hinky meter big time. I’m speculating. Feeling is strong.

Last edited:
I wouldn't either, but apparently, KA and her sister have always been very close, and have traveled extensively together. IIRC, her sister is into yoga and such as well. Not remotely suggesting that her sister would do any such deed as KA allegedly has done, but I get the sense they may be very much alike, in a lot of ways. Short of perjuring herself, I expect she will likely do and say all that she can to protect her. Also remember, their parents have been in the courtroom, supporting KA. JMO
I think you’re right, and if this is the case, think it’s awful. But there’s nothing new under the sun!

KAITLIN ARMSTRONG MURDER TRIAL THREAD

On Monday, the defense grilled a ballistics expert about just how scientific his conclusions were. We heard from Armstrong's friend who taught her how to shoot a gun. APD detectives said Armstrong was stalking Mo Wilson's IG account more than a week before Wilson was murdered. And we saw post-op photos of Kaitlin Armstrong's nose job from Costa Rica.Live tweeting continues below.

@alcaprari23

Kaitlin Armstrong has entered the courtroom wearing her grey pantsuit and Carolina Blue blouse. She takes her seat next to her defense team and quietly chats with them. Armstrong's parents are in the courtroom. The Wilson family is not in attendance yet. In fact, there is a sizable absence of Wilson supporters who normally occupy the first three rows behind the prosecution.

10:18 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member