GUILTY TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit surprised that Dr Burrows never testified for the defense in either phase of the case. Makes me wonder what she was even there for.
Right. Could that come tomorrow? Perhaps she gets called as a "sentencing mitigation" expert? But then, if she had enough data on KA's mental "issues" I would think the defense would have called her earlier. Should be interesting.

I don't doubt KA has been selling herself to her family & friends as being innocent -- set up by CS!

They came to court to learn the evidence for the first time-- like the rest of us.

I think if her family knew a month ago what they know today, they would have urged, pleaded with KA to take the guilty plea agreement offered to KA in October.

KA is very manipulating. She controlled her family too.

KA is cruel, cruel, dagger to the heart evil.

It wasn't enough for her to take the daughter/sister Mo, but she also made the Wilsons live through a trial and hear her screams and the gunshots that pierced her body.

Something very wrong with KA.

IMO, KA also uses yoga for a different purpose.

What is yoga and how does it work?​

Yoga is an ancient and complex practice, rooted in Indian philosophy. It began as a spiritual practice but has become popular as a way of promoting physical and mental well-being.

Not disagreeing with you. Just thinking they felt they had to "support her" in some manner by speaking, and they surely weren't going to bash her even if they did think she's guilty, so I assume they spoke to possibly get her a lesser sentence.

I am a bit surprised that Dr Burrows never testified for the defense in either phase of the case. Makes me wonder what she was even there for.
I think she was "on call" to go down a certain path (crime of passion related). If the verdict had taken several hours it might have been worth having her testify but the verdict was swift so no point in antagonizing the jurors with that line of thought. Or, KA herself didn't want any of her prior mental/emotional issues (if she has any) that she has worked so hard to conceal to be brought out by the state in response to the good Dr.'s testimony (which might have happened).

I think she was "on call" to go down a certain path (crime of passion related). If the verdict had taken several hours it might have been worth having her testify but the verdict was swift so no point in antagonizing the jurors with that line of thought. Or, KA herself didn't want any of her prior mental/emotional issues (if she has any) that she has worked so hard to conceal to be brought out by the state in response to the good Dr.'s testimony (which might have happened).
Hmm, interesting. But others who were sworn in to testify were not allowed to appear in court, like Colin, her sister, etc., so why would this MD have been allowed in the courtroom watching whereas others were not?

Can’t stop thinking about this. A young beautiful life taken, by another one who has lost all her freedom over jealousy and a dirtbag of a guy who wouldn’t commit. Just unbelievable. KA could have gotten over him, moved on with life, practiced yoga all over this beautiful planet like she once did, and found another guy to maybe settle down with. It’s mind boggling. Even more so given she’d shown no signs of violence before. She had a nice life! I don’t get it!

Right. Could that come tomorrow? Perhaps she gets called as a "sentencing mitigation" expert? But then, if she had enough data on KA's mental "issues" I would think the defense would have called her earlier. Should be interesting.

I don't know if they can keep calling witnesses after both sides have rested in the sentencing phase. IMO I think when the jury comes back tomorrow morning they will be given their instructions and then sent to their room. I believe the Judge will outline mitigation and aggravating factors in the instruction but I don't know for sure.

Edited to correct spelling.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. But others who were sworn in to testify were not allowed to appear in court, like Colin, her sister, etc., so why would this MD have been allowed in the courtroom watching whereas others were not?
Was she in the courtroom? I missed so many tweets and posts much to my dismay.

The defense calls Mike Armstrong...
Next witness: Dr. Judith Knotts. ......

Next witness: Christine Armstrong, Kaitlin's sister. ......
Trimmed to indicate just the Defense Witness names...All (3)
Often, the Defense has the opportunity to include a considerable list of close friends of the convicted, because they are willing to support their friend even post conviction and those persons are not suffering in the same way as the Victims close friends. With the exception of the Chaplain that was not the case here... And the only substance followed Christine's monologue whereby the Prosecution completed one of the missing pieces: Kaitlin stole her passport.

Some of Kaitlin's close friends came forward to relate their knowledge of Kaitlin's feelings for Mo Wilson. Maybe the defense was hard pressed to find any additional parties to offer solely endorsement of Kaitlin's character. Also conspicuous by absence was any commentary from a Psychologist or similar professional that KA's actions were a response to anything like overwhelming obsession or irresistible impulse. (I'm sure the Social Science folks on here have a different terminology for the state of mind that last phrase describes....) Point is: it was not at all a "cry for help" presentment. Help that KA obviously needs.

IANAL, MOO, JMO and all the similar acronyms.

Trimmed to indicate just the Defense Witness names...All (3)
Often, the Defense has the opportunity to include a considerable list of close friends of the convicted, because they are willing to support their friend even post conviction and those persons are not suffering in the same way as the Victims close friends. With the exception of the Chaplain that was not the case here... And the only substance followed Christine's monologue whereby the Prosecution completed one of the missing pieces: Kaitlin stole her passport.

Some of Kaitlin's close friends came forward to relate their knowledge of Kaitlin's feelings for Mo Wilson. Maybe the defense was hard pressed to find any additional parties to offer solely endorsement of Kaitlin's character. Also conspicuous by absence was any commentary from a Psychologist or similar professional that KA's actions were a response to anything like overwhelming obsession or irresistible impulse. (I'm sure the Social Science folks on here have a different terminology for the state of mind that last phrase describes....) Point is: it was not at all a "cry for help" presentment. Help that KA obviously needs.

IANAL, MOO, JMO and all the similar acronyms.
Good points. Why do you think, then, that Dr. Maureen Burrows, forensic psychiatrist, was a potential witness, but was never called?

You know? It is very strange that the defense didn’t have any one other than her family and a jail clergy person speak. I was thinking they would have a psychologist on to tell the jury how damaged she is and yada yada yada.

I just followed a trial in FL, and in that case, if a witness was accepted as an expert witness by the court, they were allowed to watch testimony. Otherwise, witnesses were not allowed in court other than to testify.
Not sure it applies in this case, but a possible explanation.

I haven’t read every single post in this thread so please forgive me for any repetition.

My feeling is that while KA was super jealous of Mo as a (past and possibly current/future) love interest and intimate partner to CS, she was also beyond envious of Mo’s amazing success as a competitive cyclist. Mo was everything KA could not be — younger, beautiful, stronger, talented, idealistic, charismatic, and a competitive athlete with whom KA could never hope to compete on gravel. CS regularly left KA in the dust on their rides, which is humiliating if one is in a fragile state of mind. KA would never catch up to either CS or Moriah. I believe KA’s jealousy of Mo’s success, her person, and her strong and powerful image contributed to the violent personal murder of this lovely young woman. I love that the prosecutor called Mo a ‘prodigy.’ I would have liked to see KA’s face as he used that descriptor.

I just followed a trial in FL, and in that case, if a witness was accepted as an expert witness by the court, they were allowed to watch testimony. Otherwise, witnesses were not allowed in court other than to testify.
Not sure it applies in this case, but a possible explanation.
Good to know! Maybe each state has different rules. Thanks for that!

Reactions: IDK
I don't know if they can keep calling witnesses after both sides have rested in the sentencing phase. IMO I think when the jury comes back tomorrow morning they will be given their instructions and then sent to their room. I believe the Judge will outline mitigation and aggravating factors in the instruction but I don't know for sure.

Edited to correct spelling.
I agree. My understanding is that the jury will begin deliberating penalty as soon as court begins, and KA can be sentenced to anywhere from 5 to 99 years in prison. I predict she will get the maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightningwill