GUILTY TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@JessicaTaylorTX

Guillermo Gonzalez with prosecution speaking now. He has a new photo of Wilson displayed. Gonzalez addresses the $10,000 fine option, which he says does not go to the [Wilson] family.

11:34 AM · Nov 17, 2023

Gonzalez says that he agrees with a lot of what Cofer said, but accountability for actions are just as important as redemption and forgiveness.

11:35 AM · Nov 17, 2023

@alcaprari23

Guillermo Gonzalez will now have the final word for the prosecution.Asks the jury to evaluate all of the facts and decide what is appropriate. Asks them to consider what accountability means: "Accountability for your actions is just as important as redemption."Says Armstrong is an adult, sophisticated and educated. Had time to consider the crime and the punishment before taking her actions.

11:38 AM · Nov 17, 2023

I was hanging on every word of Guillermo Gonzalez but he lost me when he said they recommend the jury start at 40 years.
Me too! Gullermo suggested that the jurors start at 40 years, and work up from there. I suggest they start at 99 and stay there. If she is only sentenced to 40 years, it is conceivable that she will be walking the streets again in 20 years. Mo's life was worth far more than 20 years. JMO

@alcaprari23

Thank you to the talented @MikalaCompton for her skilled photography in capturing this moment and so many more from this murder trial. We have not had many opportunities to see the face and reactions of Kaitlin Armstrong, which is why photos like these are so helpful.

11:56 AM · Nov 17, 2023

Me too! Gullermo suggested that the jurors start at 40 years, and work up from there. I suggest they start at 99 and stay there. If she is only sentenced to 40 years, it is conceivable that she will be walking the streets again in 20 years. Mo's life was worth far more than 20 years. JMO
I wouldn't give her any sentence that would let her serve less than the 30 year before parole eligibility minimum. She deserves to have a sentence that gives her hope of parole before she's too old to ride a bike or surf yoga and then have parole denied time after time after time. What she did is worthy of the 99 year max.

Today a jury will begin sentencing deliberations for #KaitlinArmstrong who on Thursday was found guilty of murdering professional cyclist Anna Moriah "Mo" Wilson. Armstrong could spend the rest of her life in prison if dealt the maximum punishment. Live tweets below.

The hearing today is slightly delayed due to heavy traffic in Austin from the funeral of APD Officer Jorge Pastore. The courtroom is open to the public but the jury has not yet arrived. Neither has Armstrong.

Kaitlin Armstrong has entered the courtroom. She is wearing her grey pantsuit and blue blouse. She sits with her attorney as we wait for the jury to enter. The Wilson family and Caitlin Cash have taken their seats behind the pros. The Armstrong family, including sister Christine, take their seats behind the defense.

The jury has entered. Copies of the rules of punishment have been handed to each member of the jury. The judge now reads the rules out loud to the jury as required by Texas law. Armstrong could face anywhere from 5 to 99 years in prison.

Judge says that Kaitlin Armstrong is eligible for parole after serving at least half of her sentence or 30 years, whichever comes first.

Verdict must be unanimous. A financial penalty not to exceed $10,000 is also applicable.

State will give opening remarks to the jury. ADA Rick Jones will speak. He thanks the jury for their time."I know that the Wilson family appreciates the swiftness of justice that you have given them."He shows a smiling picture of Mo Wilson to the jury. Tells them he wants to talk about Mo Wilson today, and not Kaitlin Armstrong.

"She was a beautiful person... I was so moved by [Karen's] words...it oozed from her yesterday, as well as Eric. That's a parent's love. And to be honest with you, I felt Mr. Armstrong's love for his daughter. I felt it! But the difference is that his daughter is still sitting right there. She's not in a good situation, but she's still sitting right there.”

Calls Mo a prodigy of gravel cycling. Says that at 25 years old, she probably wasn't even in her prime. Talks about compassion. Asks them to not listen to the defense and their likely pleas for mercy for Kaitlin Armstrong."When you get up and walk out that door, I want you to think about Moriah Wilson. Look at that picture on screen and put it in your brains before you leave here.”

"I'm here to talk about her life, not her death... she was taken from us way too soon."Points to Cash, calls her his new best friend. Speaks to Cash's testimony yesterday, about the feelings she has for the apartment where her friend was murdered. Reminds the jury of how emotional Cash was, the PTSD she testified to having, reminding them that she sees the bullet hole in her washer and dryer every day."For 16 months, she's lived in terror and fear... do it for Cash. For Mo Wilson.”

Reminds the jury that Armstrong stole her sister's passport, a federal offense."[Kaitlin] was selfish. Utterly selfish. Think about that.”

About Armstrong's demeanor in court: "Some people may be sitting there silent. That doesn't mean anything... That doesn't mean she feels remorse. it could be fear. It could be anything... A shrinking violet doesn't stand over and put another bullet in their heart. That's cold.”

Jones thanks the jury. "We will accept whatever decision you make."The defense asks for a sidebar with the judge. They will speak next to the jury.

Caitlin Cash and Eric Wilson wrap their arms around Karen Wilson in a moment of comfort. Eric Wilson has his other arm on his son, Matthew Wilson. The Armstrong family sits silently across the aisle.

The defense is beginning its statement. Rick Cofer will deliver the address to the jury. He says he won't have much to say, but he wants to share his experience and thoughts.Says the jury did heavy lifting to access his client's guilt. Says that punishment isn't as clear cut as deciding a verdict."We the defense have no recommendation for an appropriate sentence. That is your decision. Two families are devastated in very different ways. Kaitlin has no prior criminal history, no rap sheet.”

Guillermo Gonzalez will now have the final word for the prosecution.Asks the jury to evaluate all of the facts and decide what is appropriate. Asks them to consider what accountability means: "Accountability for your actions is just as important as redemption."Says Armstrong is an adult, sophisticated and educated. Had time to consider the crime and the punishment before taking her actions.

Reminds the jury that Armstrong tried to flee from her crime and punishment, both to Costa Rica and during her recent doctor's office escape. Says Armstrong damaged the community with her actions.

The jury has now been dismissed to begin their deliberations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz