TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, prized cyclist, fatally shot before race, Austin, May 2022 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read stuff like that in articles, I think the reporter has been reading here on WS, then writes an article covering theories and information from WSers. Lol.
I had the exact same thought. And for good reason: I read a true crime book about detectives working on a cold case in West Virginia, and it was suggested to them that they read on Websleuths. One even joined the forum. And the prosecutor in the Casey Anthony case used to use the exact wording of things said by Websleuths posters.

Their hands are tied until they have concrete evidence that they are in the country. Anthony Burgess is wanted for 1st degree murder in the 2000 shooting death of 19-year-old Ruben Rodriguez during an altercation at a house party in Tucson. He is believed to have fled the US within 24 hours of the crime, shortly before the police began preparing to arrest him.

Burgess was on the run for 14 years before the USMS received a tip from a confidential source in the Philippines that Burgess' mom in Tucson was sending him money. They then got a search warrant for his mom's house and uncovered letters that he sent home to his mom in Tucson from the Philippines.

It wasn't until after the USMS executed the search warrant and obtained direct proof that Burgess was in the Philippines that US Marshals were sent overseas to investigate. Unfortunately, Burgess' mother tipped him off, and he fled Manila, where he'd been staying, and went underground. He was last seen in Manila in 2014.

Between 2000 and 2014, Burgess reportedly fled to Mexico, returned to Tucson, drove to Los Angeles, where he boarded a plane to the Philippines, but then eventually returned to the United States.

“We very much believe that Anthony’s mother has tipped him off and drove him back underground,” said Jen Rippey, a deputy US Marshal who has been investigating Burgess' case for years. “We also believe she is still financing him in some way, shape or form.”

In 2016, the USMS added Burgess to their 15 Most Wanted List and upped the reward to up to $25,000 for Burgess. He was 21 at the time of the murder; he is now 43 years old.

Out of the 84,247 fugitives apprehended by the USMS last year, only 591 were international removals, something which in part reflects the complexity of locating and extraditing fugitives from abroad.

Yes, she had intelligence, education, professional experience, family support, resources, looks, youth, health. So many options, and she chose a horrendous path. Whether death penalty or life without parole, it’s very grim. And she took the life of a young woman.

There's no excuse for what KA did, but for someone with such a background as you describe to end up killing someone in cold blood, I can only assume that she has been well and truly gaslighted in the relationship with CS. We know from reported text messages he manipulated Mo, and I'm sure he was lying to KA. It wouldn't surprise me if he had told her Mo was the one chasing /stalking/ threatening him and he couldn't get rid of her. I like to consider myself an intelligent, rational person, but many years ago when I was in a relationship being gaslighted and cheated on, my head was wrecked, alternatively suspecting he was cheating on me (which he was) and thinking I was a horrible person to be so suspicious. I ended up doing things like searching in the bin to look for evidence and then despised myself. It's truly an awful situation to be in.

There's no excuse for what KA did, but for someone with such a background as you describe to end up killing someone in cold blood, I can only assume that she has been well and truly gaslighted in the relationship with CS. We know from reported text messages he manipulated Mo, and I'm sure he was lying to KA. It wouldn't surprise me if he had told her Mo was the one chasing /stalking/ threatening him and he couldn't get rid of her. I like to consider myself an intelligent, rational person, but many years ago when I was in a relationship being gaslighted and cheated on, my head was wrecked, alternatively suspecting he was cheating on me (which he was) and thinking I was a horrible person to be so suspicious. I ended up doing things like searching in the bin to look for evidence and then despised myself. It's truly an awful situation to be in.

I don’t understand how it looked IRL when KA called Mo to say that CS was with her?

Was she told by CS that Mo was following him and couldn’t accept that he had a live-in partner? Or, was it more like, “we are back together, he is mine, so, back off”?

Yes, I do understand myself from experience that that sort of relationship situation can literally drive you crazy. :(

I don’t understand how it looked IRL when KA called Mo to say that CS was with her?

Was she told by CS that Mo was following him and couldn’t accept that he had a live-in partner? Or, was it more like, “we are back together, he is mine, so, back off”?
You never know, if KA was being gaslighted by CS, she may have been telling MW to “leave him alone”. Then CS may have given MW a story about KA being unbalanced.

They need a real breaking story from the US Marshals office. I wish it would happen.
I have a feeling she managed to get a private jet out of the country, maybe to the Bahamas or Costa Rica. Or she got to Canada. Or she’s semi-homeless and blending in with the masses in NYC. Or..??

It’s like a grim Where’s Waldo, and sadly, the murder of MW awaiting justice.

JMO

I have a feeling she managed to get a private jet out of the country, maybe to the Bahamas or Costa Rica. Or she got to Canada. Or she’s semi-homeless and blending in with the masses in NYC. Or..??

It’s like a grim Where’s Waldo, and sadly, the murder of MW awaiting justice.

JMO
I think the hope in all of this is that the US Marshals will be able to exert pressure/threats on someone whom KA is contacting with a burner phone or some other concealment. They will receive the information needed to find her. That’s the hope, in any case, because otherwise there are just too many possibilities to narrow it down. Soon it will be 7 weeks.

Whether death penalty or life without parole, it’s very grim. And she took the life of a young woman.

I definitely don't see them going for the death penalty and don't think she'll receive LWOP. I think her attorneys will paint her a victim of a womanizer. (I also think if she's guilty, she deserves LWOP though. My current opinion only.)

I definitely don't see them going for the death penalty and don't think she'll receive LWOP. I think her attorneys will paint her a victim of a womanizer. (I also think if she's guilty, she deserves LWOP though. My current opinion only.)
KA had so many alternatives to murder. If she committed this crime - taking the life of a 25 yr woman in cold blood - then a trial should support the sentence given. I can see it going LWOP or death sentence. Hard to know what is most appropriate without a trial IMO.

Many people oppose the death penalty on principle. I think it will be difficult to find many reasonable mitigating factors here (1st offense?).

Multitudes of women are victims of womanizers & gaslighters every day and don't resort to murder.

Let's remember the total loss of Moriah's long promising life. She deserves complete justice to the extent our imperfect system can deliver it.

MOO

She was definitely the victim of a womanizer. So many women are. But the prosecution and jury aren’t likely to see the logic or reason in gunning down a young woman. She’s still likely to get decades behind bars. That’s why she’s on the run.

Last edited:
I agree that I don't think she will get the death penalty or life without parole. I, too, think her attorneys will present a defense of her as a victim of CS and that it was a crime of passion.

She was definitely the victim of a womanizer. So many women are. But the prosecution and jury aren’t likely to see the logic or reason in gunning down on a young woman. She’s still likely to get decades behind bars. That’s why she’s on the run.
Agree that she is likely to get decades behind bars.

I agree that I don't think she will get the death penalty or life without parole. I, too, think her attorneys will present a defense of her as a victim of CS and that it was a crime of passion.
Austin is considered the most liberal city in Texas, and one of the most liberal cities in the US. I think you would be hard-pressed to seat any jury there that would vote for someone to get the death penalty, in almost any case, and almost certainly not the suspect in this case. Yes, it was murder, but I think a good attorney can convince at least one or two jurors that it was a crime done in the heat of the moment, and not planned, and that she had been a victim of gaslighting. I frankly don't even believe she would get LWOP either, although I would think she will serve at least 20-30 years. JMO

Austin has long been considered the lone blue dot in the middle of a sea of Texas red when it comes to politics. And now our fair city ranks as one of the top spots for liberals to live in the country: No. 2 in the United States and No. 1 in Texas.

She no doubt has support from some. After all these years people still support and want Betty Broderick released because she married a jerk. We would have a lot more cases on here if people started killing others because they had poor taste in a mate. With the amount of time that has gone by, I am truly worried that she will not be caught and will not get the justice she deserves. I would think if all she had on her was the 12K she got from the car sale, that would have run out by now. Money doesn't go far these days.

Austin is considered the most liberal city in Texas, and one of the most liberal cities in the US. I think you would be hard-pressed to seat any jury there that would vote for someone to get the death penalty, in almost any case, and almost certainly not the suspect in this case. Yes, it was murder, but I think a good attorney can convince at least one or two jurors that it was a crime done in the heat of the moment, and not planned. I frankly don't even believe she would get LWOP, although I would think she will serve at least 20-30 years. JMO

Austin has long been considered the lone blue dot in the middle of a sea of Texas red when it comes to politics. And now our fair city ranks as one of the top spots for liberals to live in the country: No. 2 in the United States and No. 1 in Texas.

I, too, think 20-30 years would be her sentence, and she could serve the minimum time if it is shown that she has good behavior while in prison when she goes before the parole board.

Although if the parole board is not a regional body, then who knows. If it is made up of state-wide members who hear her case when she is eligible for parole, she may not do as well as she would with a local Austin constituted parole board. They might consider things differently, including that she evaded authorities for so long before being arrested, and that she might not follow the requirements of parole. Especially if it turns out she evaded arrest by going overseas. Leaving the country would also be a violation of her parole and they might not want to take the risk - if it gets to that point years down the road, it might work against here.

I suspect that she would teach yoga in a woman's prison. Maybe even study law and get her degree while there.

Austin is considered the most liberal city in Texas, and one of the most liberal cities in the US. I think you would be hard-pressed to seat any jury there that would vote for someone to get the death penalty, in almost any case, and almost certainly not the suspect in this case. Yes, it was murder, but I think a good attorney can convince at least one or two jurors that it was a crime done in the heat of the moment, and not planned, and that she had been a victim of gaslighting. I frankly don't even believe she would get LWOP either, although I would think she will serve at least 20-30 years. JMO

But recall that the warrant says she’s charged with first-degree murder, not second-degree or involuntary manslaughter.

And it’s the state of Texas which is charging her.

If KA had committed this crime in Canada or the UK or Europe or the Netherlands, she could receive 7 years and do half of that. I’ve been stunned by this many times over the years.

I’ve also been stunned by crimes in the US where a teenager commits a crime of passion and receives 40 years. One teen girl didn’t even commit the murder of her father who was clearly neglectful, her BF did. She still received LWOP.

I’ve seen many cases where a teen gets LWOP.

KA knows how US prison sentences are vastly, vastly longer than anywhere else on the globe. That’s why she’s not surrendering.

Courtney Christine Schulhoff (born December 27, 1987[1] in Washington, D.C.) is an American female prisoner who was convicted in the bludgeoning death of her father in his Altamonte Springs, Floridaapartment when she was 16 years old.[2] She was convicted of first-degree murder and was sentenced to life without the possibility of parolein September 2006.[3] In March 2017, Schulhoff was given a reduced sentence of 40 years.[4]

I don't know who is helping this woman but someone is. I hope and pray that prosecute whoever is assisting her. She will be caught, justice will be served. I don't think she would cut her hair, maybe a wig. I imagine that all families involved will be happy when this is over. Keep the postings going, you never know how close to the truth some of these thoughts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enni007