TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas high school shooting prompts talk of 'contagion effect'

Researchers who have studied American mass shootings have found evidence of a “contagion effect”. In the two weeks after a mass shooting or school shooting, one 2015 study found, there is an elevated likelihood that another mass shooting or school shooting will take place.
About 20% to 30% of the incidents studied “appeared to be inspired by contagion”, said the lead author of the paper, Sherry Towers, a professor at Arizona State University who specializes in mathematical and computational modeling.
“The idea that we’re spiraling out of control in school shootings is perhaps not supported by the data,” she said. “That being said, the US per capita has a far higher rate of school shootings compared to any other developed country.”
But Towers said that while it was important to acknowledge the contagion effect in mass shootings, to focus only on media coverage and the way some shootings appear inspired by previous attacks was to miss other crucial risk factors.
“States that had a lower prevalence of gun ownership had a lower per capita rate of mass shootings, so it’s not just a contagion effect.

“Just focusing on the media component of contagion is missing the entire story. And focusing on one aspect of it is not going to yield a solution.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/19/santa-fe-high-school-shooting-contagion-effect

Ignoring the elephant in the room. Where I live there are many entrances into schools, but no school shootings. I can't imagine why those many entrances have not led to school shootings. Has anyone asked him this?

Right?!!? Like one or two entrances is safer than six or whatever when you have a thousand-plus kids running for their lives. Good lord, fewer exits would be positively catastrophic. i.e.; Altamont, 1969.

The gunman in the Virginia Tech shooting chained the three entrances shut in the building where the majority of the victims were injured and killed.

How soon some people forget. 🤢[emoji52]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shooting

Everything About the Texas School Shooting Seems Horribly Familiar

School shootings are now as American as apple pie, and Friday’s tragedy at Santa Fe High School, in Santa Fe, Texas, followed the usual recipe. People who knew the suspected shooter, a seventeen-year-old named Dimitrios Pagourtzis, said there was nothing particularly unusual about him. (Pagourtzis appeared in court briefly on Friday night, where he was charged with capital murder and aggravated assault of a peace officer, and was remanded to custody.) He made the Santa Fe Junior High honor roll, in 2012, and played on the 2016 junior-varsity football team. Fellow-students said he wasn’t particularly social. (Nor are many other males of his age.) According to CNN, his Facebook page showed he had demonstrated interest in joining the Marines, but more recently he had posted a picture of a black T-shirt with the words “Born to Kill” emblazoned on it.

The Times added some details to the all-too-familiar portrait of an alienated, but not obviously pathologically dangerous, adolescent. He posted pictures of his beloved trench coat, the one he used to cover up the guns he carried into school on Friday morning, along with explanations of the symbols he had attached to it. “Hammer and Sickle=Rebellion. Rising Sun=Kamikaze Tactics. Iron Cross=Bravery. Baphomet=Evil.” In addition, the Times reported, Pagourtzis “posted artwork seemingly inspired by the electronic musician James Kent, professionally known as Perturbator. Kent’s music—largely instrumental—has been adopted by affiliates of neo-Nazi groups and the alt-right.”

[...]

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...texas-school-shooting-seems-horribly-familiar

The rest of the western world is watching this and think 'another one?' For goodness sake, do something.

When are they going to do something about this? They are just going to keep coming unless you enforce stronger gun laws :( how horrible.

Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled

The suspect in Friday's school shooting may be considered an adult in Texas state courts, but he cannot face the death penalty, according to a 2005 federal Supreme Court ruling.

[...]

9709e518961e365725bf9847231552fd.jpg

A screenshot is shown from the Facebook social media account of Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, suspected in the shooting at Santa Fe (Texas) High School near Houston.
(Photo: Facebook via USA TODAY NETWORK)

Texas is one of 31 states with the death penalty, but is slowly shedding its reputations as the top state to use it. The state has performed 551 executions since 1976, a little more than a third of executions nationwide.

A total of 243 people are on death row there today, according to the non-profit Death Penalty Information Center.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/05/19/texas-shooter-no-death-penalty/626609002/

On a Spring Texan Morning, a Sound Heard Too Often at Schools Across America: Bang. Bang. Bang.

SANTA FE, Tex. — Just outside the ceramics storeroom where Trenton Beazley huddled on the floor, his classmates and substitute teacher from first-period art lay dead. A gunman stalked back and forth between two adjoining classrooms inside Santa Fe High School, firing blast after blast.

This was really happening. Again. This time, to them.

[...]

The gunman’s family also released a statement on Saturday, saying it was “as shocked and confused as anyone” and that the news media’s descriptions of him and his actions seemed “incompatible with the boy we love.” It said it was cooperating with the investigation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/us/texas-santa-fe-school-shooting.html

On a Spring Texan Morning, a Sound Heard Too Often at Schools Across America: Bang. Bang. Bang.

SANTA FE, Tex. — Just outside the ceramics storeroom where Trenton Beazley huddled on the floor, his classmates and substitute teacher from first-period art lay dead. A gunman stalked back and forth between two adjoining classrooms inside Santa Fe High School, firing blast after blast.

[...]

The gunman’s family also released a statement on Saturday, saying it was “as shocked and confused as anyone” and that the news media’s descriptions of him and his actions seemed “incompatible with the boy we love.” It said it was cooperating with the investigation.

Well it would have been great for his family to have watched was he was doing (building bombs, easy access to Dad's guns}before they became shocked at his actions when they became known.

From NYTimes desk editor’s verified Twitter acct.

https://twitter.com/palafo/status/997652811587432448?s=21

“He posted artwork seemingly inspired by the electronic musician James Kent, professionally known as Perturbator. Mr. Kent’s music — largely instrumental — has been adopted by affiliates of neo-Nazi groups and the alt-right.”

Story link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/us/dimitrios-pagourtzis-gunman-texas-shooting.html

Next two paragraphs from link.

On social media Mr. Kent’s fans condemned reports linking his work to the alt-right, and Mr. Kent himself responded on Saturday.

“What happened in Santa Fe is atrocious and all my thoughts are with the victims and families,” he said in a Facebook post. “I feel it is unnecessary to further explain my position regarding this tragedy as I do not want medias to make any more assumptions about me or twist my words to fit their sensationalist agenda.”

Everything About the Texas School Shooting Seems Horribly Familiar

School shootings are now as American as apple pie, and Friday’s tragedy at Santa Fe High School, in Santa Fe, Texas, followed the usual recipe. People who knew the suspected shooter, a seventeen-year-old named Dimitrios Pagourtzis, said there was nothing particularly unusual about him. (Pagourtzis appeared in court briefly on Friday night, where he was charged with capital murder and aggravated assault of a peace officer, and was remanded to custody.) He made the Santa Fe Junior High honor roll, in 2012, and played on the 2016 junior-varsity football team. Fellow-students said he wasn’t particularly social. (Nor are many other males of his age.) According to CNN, his Facebook page showed he had demonstrated interest in joining the Marines, but more recently he had posted a picture of a black T-shirt with the words “Born to Kill” emblazoned on it.

The Times added some details to the all-too-familiar portrait of an alienated, but not obviously pathologically dangerous, adolescent. He posted pictures of his beloved trench coat, the one he used to cover up the guns he carried into school on Friday morning, along with explanations of the symbols he had attached to it. “Hammer and Sickle=Rebellion. Rising Sun=Kamikaze Tactics. Iron Cross=Bravery. Baphomet=Evil.” In addition, the Times reported, Pagourtzis “posted artwork seemingly inspired by the electronic musician James Kent, professionally known as Perturbator. Kent’s music—largely instrumental—has been adopted by affiliates of neo-Nazi groups and the alt-right.”

[...]

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...texas-school-shooting-seems-horribly-familiar

it struck me as interesting that he gave a description of every pin on his trench cost but the one that is used for "bisexual"

linked a couple of posts back

[...]

Parents seem to be clueless as usual. Think he is a sweet and quiet boy.

anyone know how to get the actual probable cause affidavit?

I think more info on got more aggressive means???

Bullying.

Some can tolerate and ignore it, some can’t.

I was bullied and ignored it, as time goes by and I hear bad/negative news/information about the ones that did I get a big smile.

Parents seem to be clueless as usual. Think he is a sweet and quiet boy.
I don't buy it for one moment. There were signs and clues something was wrong with this teenager. Some responsibility falls on the parents. Jmo

After Texas school shooting, Houston police chief shares Facebook message to gun rights advocates: ‘De-friend me’

Just hours after 10 people were killed in a school shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, the police chief in nearby Houston issued a defiant condemnation of elected officials who had failed to act on gun control, saying he had “hit rock bottom.”

In a statement on Facebook, the chief, Art Acevedo, wrote that he had “shed tears of sadness, pain and anger” after the shooting, which happened about 35 miles away.
c290001efd7f4e8ac78b0be1f086b19c.jpg

“I know some have strong feelings about gun rights but I want you to know I’ve hit rock bottom and I am not interested in your views as it pertains to this issue,” he wrote. “Please do not post anything about guns aren’t the problem and there’s little we can do. My feelings won’t be hurt if you de-friend me and I hope yours won’t be if you decide to post about your views and I de-friend you.”

[...]

Article: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...age-to-gun-rights-advocates-de-friend-me.html
Art Acevedo Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/ChiefArtAcevedo/posts/1676298439150998

I don't buy it for one moment. There were signs and clues something was wrong with this teenager. Some responsibility falls on the parents. Jmo

I only summarized what they claim in their statement. They claim they believed him to be sweet and quiet boy and this was just completely unexpected. Their statement reads to me as if they expect him to be reprimanded for his behavior and send right on home.

Bullying.

Some can tolerate and ignore it, some can’t.

I was bullied and ignored it, as time goes by and I hear bad/negative news/information about the ones that did I get a big smile.

I saw the expert on TV say that after these shootings other students who barely know the suspect (if at all) claim the suspect was bullied because that is what expected. People assume these type of suspects were bullied.
I don't think supposed bullying if it happened at all had anything to do with this.
This suspect apparently kept making advances to the girl who rejected him. Apparently a short time prior to shooting the rejection was done publicly and that embarrassed him. I am guessing that's the trigger.

I only summarized what they claim in their statement. They claim they believed him to be sweet and quiet boy and this was just completely unexpected. Their statement reads to me as if they expect him to be reprimanded for his behavior and send right on home.
Yes, I understand. I wasn't taking a swipe at you, just jumped off your post with my comment. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member