TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You just made me realize one of the many reasons I'm so upset about this. The officer reminds me of every abuser I've ever know. And I've known quite a few. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. The way he set her up to do the wrong thing, the way he pushed her. Struck me as very manipulative.

Me too. The way he set her up to do the wrong thing, the way he pushed her. Struck me as very manipulative.

He struck me as a grade A bully. People like that are attracted to law enforcement, for obvious reasons, but just as professions which involve working with children have to take steps to weed out paedophiles, the police need to look at ways to weed out this type of wannabe Hitler as early as possible.

Long story short:If you are commenting on this case & like me, you did not watch the dashboard footage, please watch before you post again!

[video=youtube;Dkqw_7mrJnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkqw_7mrJnU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkqw_7mrJnU[/video]

I just wrote the most measured & reasoned summary of my thoughts & insights into this case. Like, " Yes. Perhaps the officer felt like Sandra was a threat, which is why he asked her to step out of the vehicle, " kind of stuff.

Then, before I posted my wordy summation of thoughts about this case, I thought, "I should rewatch the dashboard footage before I post so I don't sound like an idiot in front of these super smart people" (I'm a newbie here. )

So I watched. And holy crap. That footage speaks volumes. Sandra respectfully asserted her rights. She was not met with respect. The officer had no reason to touch her.

This is gross. and wrong.

At the start of this case, I felt terrible that a woman committed suicide, for whatever reason. I felt bad for her & her family.

After watching that video, I feel so so so sad. And mad.
Again, please watch the footage, no matter what your 'hot take' is.

Thanks
--A

Actually, that goes against what the officer himself said. If you listen to the part of the dashcam video when he's talking to his department, he said the Bland was under arrest when he pulled her over -- that would have been before they had had any physical contact whatsoever. (That's also why he was debating whether to charge her with 'resisting arrest', as he was under the assumption that she was already under arrest.)

And so, her initial arrest in the eyes of the officer was for the traffic violation. (I don't think that someone who is pulled over by a traffic cop is de facto under arrest, but that is what he says in the dashcam video.)

I guess I need to listen to that part. I didn't listen to the whole 49 minute video.

How can someone be under arrest when they are pulled over? They are being lawfully detained for sure but they are not under arrest in my opinion.

I can see the resisting arrest when she wouldn't comply to his commands. But then where they lawful commands?

I'm not sure. JMO

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is in this case. It seems like people are saying that Sandra was falsely arrested so the police killed her to cover that up.

I would think that her death in jail would bring extreme scrutiny to her arrest and not work too well in trying to coverup a bad arrest. It doesn't make sense to me.

I think she killed herself. Whether jail personnel are negligent in her suicide I will wait and see if there's evidence to support that.

JMO

I was taken aback by the way the officer was baiting Sandra Bland, he turned it into a hostile situation. Imo, he has a serious problem that needs addressing, he certainly doesn't belong in the police force.

I'm concerned Sandra suffered an injury or injuries in the scuffle that happened off camera. If she had a massive headache on top of what just went down, it could have tipped her over the edge. Any death in custody needs to be investigated, to rule out foul play and make changes if need be. The plastic bag in the trash can is just incredibly negligent. A vulnerable or volatile person shouldn't have access to anything that can be used as a weapon against officers or as a means to commit suicide.

JMO

<modsnip>I surely hope there isn't a double standard here because this officer has NOT been charged with anything, yet horrific speculation continues.

<modsnip>

:gaah:
BBM

It's true that he hasn't been charged with anything (yet?), but there is this...
Encinia, who has been a state trooper for about a year, was placed on administrative duty on Friday pending the outcome of the investigation, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety, which said that the officer violated the agency&#8217;s procedures during the traffic stop.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...anging-death-of-sandra-bland-suicide-da-says/

This lady didn't hang herself in her cell, that's bullcrap. She was murdered and I hope investigators and her family won't rest until they find out who did it.

Long story short:If you are commenting on this case & like me, you did not watch the dashboard footage, please watch before you post again!

[video=youtube;Dkqw_7mrJnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkqw_7mrJnU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkqw_7mrJnU[/video]

I just wrote the most measured & reasoned summary of my thoughts & insights into this case. Like, " Yes. Perhaps the officer felt like Sandra was a threat, which is why he asked her to step out of the vehicle, " kind of stuff.

Then, before I posted my wordy summation of thoughts about this case, I thought, "I should rewatch the dashboard footage before I post so I don't sound like an idiot in front of these super smart people" (I'm a newbie here. )

So I watched. And holy crap. That footage speaks volumes. Sandra respectfully asserted her rights. She was not met with respect. The officer had no reason to touch her.

This is gross. and wrong.

At the start of this case, I felt terrible that a woman committed suicide, for whatever reason. I felt bad for her & her family.

After watching that video, I feel so so so sad. And mad.
Again, please watch the footage, no matter what your 'hot take' is.

Thanks
--A

I did watch the dashcam video.

I guess I may have a different definition of "respectful." Sandra wasn't very respectful IMO.

I guess I need to listen to that part. I didn't listen to the whole 49 minute video.

How can someone be under arrest when they are pulled over? They are being lawfully detained for sure but they are not under arrest in my opinion.

rsbm --

Agreed.

If you listen to the video that Amperstand embedded above, at around 28:04, the LEO says "Technically she was under arrest when the traffic stop was initiated." So, he considered her as being under arrest at that point.

I call BS on that. I am pretty sure that he is wrong. Yes, perhaps she was lawfully detained, but that is not the same as being under arrest.

Also, in listening to some of the audio of the conversation with his department, he said that he attempted to calm her down numerous times. So, he's not just a bully -- he's a liar who hides behind his badge.

I was taken aback by the way the officer was baiting Sandra Bland, he turned it into a hostile situation. Imo, he has a serious problem that needs addressing, he certainly doesn't belong in the police force.

I'm concerned Sandra suffered an injury or injuries in the scuffle that happened off camera. If she had a massive headache on top of what just went down, it could have tipped her over the edge. Any death in custody needs to be investigated, to rule out foul play and make changes if need be. The plastic bag in the trash can is just incredibly negligent. A vulnerable or volatile person shouldn't have access to anything that can be used as a weapon against officers or as a means to commit suicide.

JMO

Do you think that the police killed her to cover the bad arrest? Or is it a horrible series of circumstances that led to Sandra taking her own life?

I guess I may have a different definition of "respectful." Sandra wasn't very respectful IMO.

She was as respectful as any citizen of a democracy should need to be with a civil servant. He, OTOH, was completely unprofessional and bullying, which is inexcusable.

Personally, I think that there are really two investigations that need to be taking place here. One is about the arrest, the other is about whatever led up to her death while in police custody.

Though it is tempting to link the two, because if she had not been unjustly arrested by a bully cop, she very likely would still be alive today.

My reply is below. Sorry: can't figure out how to delete. New to this.

Mods, there is an error in the name of this thread title
'TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in cell after arrest for minor traffic violation"

Sandra Bland was arrested for Assault on a Public Servant. Traffic stop was for not using signal when changing lanes, that was the minor traffic violation... http://documents.latimes.com/booking-documents-sandra-bland/
Got it. Next time please alert or pm a mod. We don't sit on the threads reading each and every post.

Thanks.

Please tell me how, after watching this video, you think Sandra was disrespectful. Do you think she was fully in the wrong? Though I totally disagree with you (& I'm going to bed soon), I'd like to respectfully consider your thoughts.

Please tell me how, after watching this video, you think Sandra was disrespectful. Do you think she was fully in the wrong? Though I totally disagree with you (& I'm going to bed soon), I'd like to respectfully consider your thoughts.

This lady killed herself by her own hand and was in jail for breaking the law. She had drugs in her system.

Of course I feel bad for her, but this blaming LE BS is getting old.

WS is (was) an LE friendly/supporting site. I hope that continues to be the cause UNTIL there is PROOF that LE "killed" this woman. Look at what poor Darren Wilson had to go through before it was PROVEN that he did absolutely nothing wrong.

On the other hand, no matter what the investigation proves, it will fall on some deaf ears because said deaf ears don't want to hear the truth. Ever.

After watching this video, do you think a) Sandra should have been removed from her vehicle? b) DO you think she should have been charged with a felony?

Of course I feel bad for her, but this blaming LE BS is getting old.

rsbm

Not as old as police brutality and abuse of power. I don't see why we can't blame them when they are deserving of it.

rsbm --

Agreed.

If you listen to the video that Amperstand embedded above, at around 28:04, the LEO says "Technically she was under arrest when the traffic stop was initiated." So, he considered her as being under arrest at that point.

I call BS on that. I am pretty sure that he is wrong. Yes, perhaps she was lawfully detained, but that is not the same as being under arrest.

Also, in listening to some of the audio of the conversation with his department, he said that he attempted to calm her down numerous times. So, he's not just a bully -- he's a liar who hides behind his badge.

She wasn't "under arrest" when she was pulled over no matter what the officer later said.

The question is, while being detained during the traffic stop did Sandra disobey lawful orders made by the officer? If she did then she was resisting arrest.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members