Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO as a personal injury attorney, their car insurance would most likely be liable for these damages (at least in my state that's how it works).

Technically, yes, it works that way here too. However, it seems that if there's one person around, who doesn't have insurance, they'll hit me, or someone in my immediate family. I'd not be surprised if his insurance was lapsed. This was back in 2015. Sounds like he just zoned out at the wheel and hit them. They said "he failed to slow down and or stop, crashing into the back of the Plaintiff’s car".

Wow! I can totally feel your gut wrenching pain at finding her gone! The difference for Sherins family is that both parents were home at the time. One was sleeping and one was punishing a child for not drinking milk.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MarisaS1985 If my history is correct this is actually where the saying "Maybe the dingo ate your baby" stems from. We have heard and even said that so many times, especially after Seinfeld had an episode where Elaine said it at a party with a bad Australian accent, when I found out that the saying had come from a real case I felt pretty darned awful.

On to what you said though, its so true, any story, even WM's could be plausible. Despite what we all may think right now, he may have told the truth 100%, we just don't know. We can speculate, we can theorize, we can cast stones and so on, but maybe his story sounds so darned insane because the truth really is crazier than fiction!

IMHO, not a chance. Nada. Zippo.

WM never said that he saw or heard a coyote take little Sherin.

He said he forced Sherin to stand alone, in a back alley, in the dark near a tree at 3 am as a punishment for a 3-yr-old not drinking her milk. (a preponderance of '3's?') He volunteered that he had seen coyotes in the alley after Sherin vanished.

IMHO, I agree with rosesfromangels: Not a chance.

Wow Grouchymom what an ordeal you had with your daughter. I'm glad it all turned out okay. Maybe put a bell or some kind of alarm at the top of the door so it wakes you up if she tries to escape for another adventure again at some stage. It must be difficult to try and get through to an autistic child the danger of what she did, so i certainly feel for your situation.
Two of mine escaped when my son was between the age of 3-4, and my daughter one night when she was 5 and was sleepwalking, which she did a couple of times. Luckily it all turned out okay, but no fun at the time that's for sure.

Technically, yes, it works that way here too. However, it seems that if there's one person around, who doesn't have insurance, they'll hit me, or someone in my immediate family. I'd not be surprised if his insurance was lapsed. This was back in 2015. Sounds like he just zoned out at the wheel and hit them. They said "he failed to slow down and or stop, crashing into the back of the Plaintiff’s car".

BBm, Texting on his phone maybe and not paying attention?

I really hope they find sherin soon. It is possible for the mum to have stayed asleep while all this concerning sherin was going on, but it just makes the dads story sound even more ridiculous. I still say the first thing he would have done when he found sherin gone was start shouting for sherin and run and shake mum awake.
I really would love to hear the 911 call, I think it would give big clues in the way the person is presenting themselves.
I just can't imagine the mum not being aware of the severe punishments that the dad subjects sherin too.

FWIW....I live in the greater region of DFW, and had 2 coyotes roaming my yard this morning. That being said, I don’t believe WMs story for a minute. Hoping little Sherin is found soon.

[FONT=&quot]Fatal child abuse or neglect is the fatal physical injury or negligent treatment of a child by a person who is responsible for the child’s welfare. It is reported that more than 1,700 children in the U.S. die of child abuse and neglect each year, and the actual number of abuse and neglect deaths is estimated to be much higher than that reported by vital statistics data.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Young children are the most vulnerable victims. National statistics show that children under four years of age account for 81.6% of all maltreatment deaths and infants account for over half of those. Fifty-nine percent of the child fatalities in 2011 were boys. One or both parents were perpetrators in 78.3% of all maltreatment deaths. Fatal abuse is interrelated with poverty, domestic violence and substance abuse.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One serious type of physical abuse is abusive head trauma, injuries that occur when a child’s head is slammed against a surface or severely struck, or when a child is violently shaken. AHT occurs most frequently in infants, particularly in the first two months of life. There have been major improvements in the ability to diagnose abusive head trauma and in investigators’ abilities to recognize when a caregiver’s explanation for injuries do not match the severity of the injuries. For example, it is now widely accepted that falls from short heights or a child being accidentally dropped rarely cause extensive and severe head injuries.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Another frequent cause of physical abuse deaths is punches or kicks to the abdomen, leading to internal bleeding. Other forms of fatal physical abuse include immersion into hot water, drowning and smothering. Many children who die from physical abuse have been abused over time, but a one-time event can also cause death. The most common reason given by caretakers who fatally injure their children is that they lost patience when the child would not stop crying. Other common reasons given by the abusers include bedwetting, fussy eating and disobedient behavior.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fatalities from neglect result from any of a number of different ways that caregivers fail to adequately provide for or supervise their children. Caregivers may fail to provide food and nurturing to their child, leading to malnutrition, failure to thrive, starvation or dehydration. Caregivers may fail to seek medical care when their child is ill, leading to more serious illness and death. Neglect cases can also result from intentional or grossly negligent failure to adequately supervise a child, resulting in bathtub drowning, suffocations, poisonings and other types of fatal incidents.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some children who die from maltreatment are unknown to Child Protective Services at the time of their death. Child Maltreatment 2011, federal government statistics estimates about state-reported child maltreatment, estimates that 1,570 children died from abuse and neglect in 2011 and states that only 863 of those children were from families that had received Child Protective Services within the five years prior to the death.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Major Risk Factors[/FONT]

• Younger children, especially under the age of four
  • Special needs that may increase caregiver burden
  • Parent’s young age, low education and income, single parenting
  • Low income, single-parent families experiencing major stresses
  • Non-biologic caregivers in the home
  • Children with emotional and health problems
  • Intimate partner violence
  • Lack of suitable childcare
  • Substance abuse and/or or mental health issues among caregivers
  • Parent history as child maltreatment victim
  • Parents and caregivers who do not understand children’s needs and development or how to parent
https://www.ncfrp.org/reporting/child-abuse-and-neglect/

I really hope they find sherin soon. It is possible for the mum to have stayed asleep while all this concerning sherin was going on, but it just makes the dads story sound even more ridiculous. I still say the first thing he would have done when he found sherin gone was start shouting for sherin and run and shake mum awake.
I really would love to hear the 911 call, I think it would give big clues in the way the person is presenting themselves.
I just can't imagine the mum not being aware of the severe punishments that the dad subjects sherin too.

BBM, Is it a fact in this case that the father was treating Sherin harshly on previous occasions? Just haven't seen anything about that so was just wondering.

BBM, Is it a fact in this case that the father was treating Sherin harshly on previous occasions? Just haven't seen anything about that so was just wondering.
I don't think we know this for a fact. We may even find out the opposite is true. He may not have been the main disciplinarian in the household. We just don't know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere on here that the father was doing most of her care, and the mother was somewhat detached and not really involved with her care. I wish I could find find that post.

What if WM is covering for her?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I've not seen any proof. My thinking is, it would be highly unlikely for the dad to just suddenly, on the night she went missing decide to punish her like that for the first time. I would think the punishments would gradually get worse over time. I'm not saying he EVER punished her before but if he did normally do the disciplining I can't imagine suddenly out of the blue, he would punish so harshly if he is not already used to doing it.
I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean. I person doesn't just put a child outside at 3am that particular night without any warning signs of escalating behavior previously. All my own opinions.

I don't think we know this for a fact. We may even find out the opposite is true. He may not have been the main disciplinarian in the household. We just don't know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly. And really, how much *discipline* does a THREE year old need vs. instruction and guidance? Their little brains are hardly formed.

As I sit here with my coffee reading through the thread, I feel such sadness for this little child. It certainly sounds like all the "adults" in her life failed her miserably, at best. I'm looking out my office window to my patio where I have pumpkins all lined up ready for nephews to carve them up. That is always a silly and happy event.
It makes me think of this little girl and that she will be missing out on pumpkin carving, her first day of school, her first date, her first kiss, prom, graduation, and becoming the incredible woman God intended her to be.

I don't think I will ever forget this little child, and I don't think the good people of Richardson will either. I am seeing a loving, good community responding and coming together. I see the Texas LE that I respect so much responding vigorously to find this child.

The response to this very sad situation is what continues to give me hope. There will always be evil in the world, but there is much, much, much more good. Let's find this baby and bring her home to rest peacefully and with respect for her brief little life. God Bless.

Exactly. And really, how much *discipline* does a THREE year old need vs. instruction and guidance? Their little brains are hardly formed.

As I sit here with my coffee reading through the thread, I feel such sadness for this little child. It certainly sounds like all the "adults" in her life failed her miserably, at best. I'm looking out my office window to my patio where I have pumpkins all lined up ready for nephews to carve them up. That is always a silly and happy event.
It makes me think of this little girl and that she will be missing out on pumpkin carving, her first day of school, her first date, her first kiss, prom, graduation, and becoming the incredible woman God intended her to be.

I don't think I will ever forget this little child, and I don't think the good people of Richardson will either. I am seeing a loving, good community responding and coming together. I see the Texas LE that I respect so much responding vigorously to find this child.

The response to this very sad situation is what continues to give me hope. There will always be evil in the world, but there is much, much, much more good. Let's find this baby and bring her home to rest peacefully and with respect for her brief little life. God Bless.

BBM.

Sometimes it is just too sad to think about. Every time my phone goes off with tapatalk notifications, I jump up to look just in case she's been found. Sherin has taken quite a hold on my heart.

I won't forget her either. Her cheeky little face is etched in my mind. They have been referring to Sherin as "Daughter of Texas", she is loved, even if not by those who should. As I am not from Texas, I take the "Daughter of Texas" quote and wrap it around all of the other cities, states, countries that are waiting for little Sherin to be found.

IMHO only victim in this case is sherin..
below are possible theories or speculations .
Something happened accidental or from some punishment which went horribly wrong... it may have happened friday night maybe between 8pm and 12pm... WM might have been drinking...he may have snapped and did something which may have caused accidental death. Wife might have been witness to this. Since she has some medical background, she may have tried to rescue without any success.. in panic they may have got frightened and feared that both of them may end up going in jail.. so next few hours they discussed and planned to come up with unbelievable story putting the blame only one person. so one person will be there to take care of their bio child... these kind of stories are very common in indian movies.. one of the movie in Malayalam (language spoken by the parents) is drishyam which was the highest earning blockbuster .. in that movie dad hides the dead body and police never able to find and recover it... In this case, he didn't have time to dig and hide, so most likely he might have dumped in a water body...
Sherin looks healthy in her recent photos.. lot of indian kids are petite... she may be speaking delayed because of three different languages..At orphange she might have been exposed to hindi/bihari , parents in US may be speaking malayalam at home and at day care she has to deal with english.
LE should get help from Kerala police department who will be able to crack the case quickly.. LE looks abandoned the effort to find the body (or doing in halfhearted way like in the video of the search this week) and focusing on getting evidences which they can use to build the case...they may hit dead end ..

I also count the older sibling as a victim. Whatever happened, their little life has been upended and must be very confusing right now.

Definitely possible, lets not forget though that Sherins sister is a victim as well, even if they never find out more about what happened to Sherin or close this case, WM is facing 20 years in jail, this little girl has in the last two weeks lost her little sister and likely best friend, both her parents and all her family and has also likely been removed from her school for safety. Without a miracle of Sherin being found alive, she will go her entire life wondering what happened, how it happened, if she could have stopped it or if she caused it (even young children have these thoughts plague them), at this point she may never see her dad again and when she does she may be visiting him in prison... Right now Sini is not a POI and LE are continuing to say that the status has not changed and they are going off those initial interviews... So, she should be considered a victim as well, and if we don't want to show her sympathy without knowing her story, we should still show her the respect that we simply do not know... She could be a victim of extreme domestic violence, she could be the victim as a sleeping mother who woke to find her child missing as we have been told, we just don't know, and won't until LE puts things together and things get to trial :(

Thank you for this. I've been poking around some places we cannot discuss here. Suffice to say, there's a whole lotta ugly out there.

I think that the first thing he would have done when he heard Sherin awake in the night, if she truly did wake up crying, was to give his wife a nudge and tell her to make the child stop crying. That's why I doubt very much that Sherin woke up in the night. My theory is that he had evil intentions and wanted his wife to stay asleep.

We have no evidence of what actually transpired that night but this is a theory that has been rattling around in my head.

I have wondered if whatever happened in the wee hours of that fateful morning didn’t start with a bed wetting incident. That would account for 3 am laundry and the pimk t-shirt, pink fitted sheet and pink blanket taken with the search warrant. While stripping the bed she may have wanted a drink then refused the “milk” perhaps he thought about sending her to the tree while he re-made the bed but things escalated. Maybe he did send her to the tree and after making the bed he brought her in to strip her urine soaked pj’s. Perhaps giving her a quick bath. Maybe she spilled the milk or poured it in the floor during the refusal. Absolutely normal things that go on with a 3 year old but magnified by the time of day and her being limited verbally. Dad was tired and frustrated and not happy it was his turn on the night duty.

I know some nights I am so exhausted I have literally begged my Katie to go back to sleep. He worked in IT at the Citi Group and IT work is precise, exact logical and methodical. Raising children especially those with special needs are not. They don’t follow the developmental schedule. Or the parents schedule. Whereas I believe the older girl progressed on or before the average times. Special needs children can be much more negotiation than expectation, small victories instead of celebrated goals. Since my Katie’s adventure she has wet the bed every night. With special needs children it is easy to regress from time to time due to stress or sometimes the reason isn’t apparent. It can be frustrating and heartbreaking and in our case it is easy to forget how delayed she really is until we are around other children her age or developmental level.

With Sherin the 4 year old was a daily reminder of her issues. In Kerala where the Dad is from and some have said the mom is also there is a 100% literacy. It is an area we’re excellence is not only expected demanded. They have a larger percentage of professionals than many other areas of India. That has to play into the parents expectations for Sherin. Even small delays could seem huge. Dad could take those delays as his own personal failure. I am not trying to justify what happened to this sweet baby and worse what we believe happened. I am trying to find something that might explain how it went so far.

JMHO and Theory of the moment.

I think that LE is following the evidence, rather than any assumptions about who is more credible. According to their FB post yesterday (I think that is where I read it), there first course of action, concurrent with combing the neighborhood, was to determine whether the evidence supported or conflicted with Dad's story.

I think that the first thing he would have done when he heard Sherin awake in the night, if she truly did wake up crying, was to give his wife a nudge and tell her to make the child stop crying. That's why I doubt very much that Sherin woke up in the night. My theory is that he had evil intentions and wanted his wife to stay asleep.

This is my thought too. I find it really hard to think about what he could have done to kill her ( if he did). In my opinion he must have shown anger and abuse before that night. That poor baby girl. Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025