Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry you experienced this. Have you considered a security system? If money is an issue, the big box home improvement stores sell inexpensive, magnetic door alarms. I mounted them up high. You can set them to chime when the magnetic seal is broken (aka door open), to deathly screech, to off.

I have a sleep walker and the alarm is a Godsend. If your mobility is an issue, is there a neighbor you can call in the event the alarm goes off? Just a thought....

We’ve used these for my grandfather, Lowe’s and Walmart both sell them.

I woke up before all my kids one morning several years ago, peeked in everyone’s bedroom and all was well. I went to use the bathroom, came out no more than 3 minutes later and my 3 year old’s door was open. I couldn’t find her anywhere and was in an absolute panic. She’d gone out the kitchen door out to the garden because she “wanted to look for butterflies”... I was horrified that she got out so fast and no one heard her. We had to have a couple of family meetings to drill into the older kids heads that the deadbolts absolutely had to be latched every night no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sorry you experienced this. Have you considered a security system? If money is an issue, the big box home improvement stores sell inexpensive, magnetic door alarms. I mounted them up high. You can set them to chime when the magnetic seal is broken (aka door open), to deathly screech, to off.

I have a sleep walker and the alarm is a Godsend. If your mobility is an issue, is there a neighbor you can call in the event the alarm goes off? Just a thought....

we recently moved from a home with a security system and have been trying to get everything we need to change for her. We just put a new door in and until this week she couldn’t unlock the deadbolt. The first of the month she will get new alarms LOL. Fortunately my husband can be home from work in 4 minutes. We timed it LOL .

We’ve used these for my grandfather, Lowe’s and Walmart both sell them.

I woke up before all my kids one morning several years ago, peeked in everyone’s bedroom and all was well. I went to use the bathroom, came out no more than 3 minutes later and my 3 year old’s door was open. I couldn’t find her anywhere and was in an absolute panic. She’d gone out the kitchen door out to the garden because she “wanted to look for butterflies”... I was horrified that she got out so fast and no one heard her. We had to have a couple of family meetings to drill into the older kids heads that the deadbolts absolutely had to be latched every night no matter what.

I and my oldest son are heavy sleepers, but the alarms we have are blood curdling. When my son wandered out, I heard the alarm, his sleeping brothers did, the neighbor across the street (who was awake) and her husband (who was asleep) heard it. My husband did not . Is it foolproof? Probably not, but better than nothing.

we recently moved from a home with a security system and have been trying to get everything we need to change for her. We just put a new door in and until this week she couldn’t unlock the deadbolt. Th Inst of the month she will get new alarms LOL. Fortunately my husband can be home from work in 4 minutes. We timed it LOL .

Always a learning curve when the environment changes. Sounds like you’ve got a handle on it, thankfully. Kudos!

Mansfield was helping the other day, according to the quick update Richardson PD gave at the search sites, because they had the drones and the people who operate them. It sounded to me like Mansfield wouldn't have been called in at all if RPD had their own.

Thank you!

I've not seen any proof. My thinking is, it would be highly unlikely for the dad to just suddenly, on the night she went missing decide to punish her like that for the first time. I would think the punishments would gradually get worse over time. I'm not saying he EVER punished her before but if he did normally do the disciplining I can't imagine suddenly out of the blue, he would punish so harshly if he is not already used to doing it.
I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean. I person doesn't just put a child outside at 3am that particular night without any warning signs of escalating behavior previously. All my own opinions.

I don't know if I believe that he ever put her out by the tree, this time, or any time. If this was, for lack of a better word, a "normal", punishment, in this family, I'm surprised, that someone who lived in the neighborhood hadn't called in to LE that there was a toddler, standing in an ally, all alone. This is a heavily populated subdivision. Just like the brisket guy, if he'd done that as a regular form of punishment, for either, or both, of the children, I feel that someone would have noticed, before Sherin's disappearance.

STOP sleuthing the mother or timeouts will be given.

:wave:

Still heavy hearted that this precious little one hasn't been located yet. I hate it, hate it hate it.

I'm thinking she may not have a passport, especially with a sibling that's only a year older

Not only that, but when you get a child from an orphanage you often don't have a concrete diagnosis. A family vlogger I follow is adopting from China right now and they were told that their son has disabilities, they just picked him up and even through the past year of reports and all of that they were never given a specific diagnosis. He looks healthy etc but they said straight up they will have to have him properly assessed and diagnosed once back (they knew before they adopted) so they can help him the best they can. I think its great they are going into this with as much knowledge as they could get, but TBH it really wasn't very much... When I think of Sherin I think it could have been quite similar or may still be as to my knowledge they haven't actually said what her developmental disability is. Even on the Amber Alert they said she had developmental disabilities and was behind verbally, but they didn't say "An Autistic child" or "A child with down syndrome" etc, they just said she had something, which could be anything... at that age my son was diagnosed with ADHD, back 10 years our dr considered it a developmental disability, even though he was actually advanced... I wonder if perhaps they adopted Sherin thinking her "disability" was "failure to thrive" and completely "fixable" in that "we have food and money, we will get her the best doctors and make sure she has good food and she will be perfectly fine" only to realize that her being malnourished was only a part of the diagnosis...

I've been thinking that any delays Sherin has are due to life in orphanages, and she would catch up in time. Way back on thread 1 I was sharing about a friend who adopted a child from China. She was 11 months old, and I remember when they brought her home she was like an infant. She had no mobility, no strength, couldn't do things that you would expect a 5 month old to do. But she caught up over time, and her motor functions are normal now (she is 14). Here behavioral challenges (asperger's) and her incredible intelligence have been the difficult part, because many adults in schools do not understand how she can have the emotional/behavioral extreme behaviors, while also being articulate and highly verbal.

My point was that Sherin might have been "normally" delayed from her first 2 years of life, and just soaking up the language and environment and progressing as would be expected?

I'm thinking she may not have a passport, especially with a sibling that's only a year older

I don't think Sherin would have been able to be adopted and brought here, without a passport. From my research into adoptions in India, it was a requirement to get a passport...

I believe she had to have a passport to come to the stats's after the adoption.

I don't think Sherin would have been able to be adopted and brought here, without a passport. From my research into adoptions in India, it was a requirement to get a passport...
To my knowledge ALL children who are adopted internationally need to have a passport (i believe it's a US passport) to get into the country. Think about it, if you just went to a different country, hopped on a plane with a baby/toddler and came back and handed them some paperwork thats partly english and claimed you had adopted with no proof the child is yours otherwise and no passport, everyone would be detained...
I know that kids need a couple of things when being picked up:
complete dossier and all of their paperwork for the orphanage
medical clearance including for tuberculosis leave the country
(sorry if i am out of order or missing things, going from memory off what I have been told by adoptive families)
go to the consulate and be approved
go to the Embassy to get passports

HOWEVER, I cannot recall if the child goes to the US Embassy to get a US passport as they are granted citizenship as soon as the adoption was official or if they require their native passport... This is one of the reasons why when people adopt they don't get to actually travel or see the country they are adopting from as they are in a ton of very important meetings and getting all of these legalities out of the way just so they can travel out of the country, even though the first step is actually receiving the child they cannot leave with that child without going through the rest of the steps.

OH and for most people (not sure how it works if you already have citizenship in that country) but for US only citizens, you need to get travel approval, basically a Visa, to enter many of the countries to continue with the adoption. It is really crazy to even try and think of all the steps and I know I am missing a ton.

The ONLY thing I have wondered regarding Sherins adoption is whether it was considered a domestic adoption or an international adoption as her parents both (i believe) have citizenship in India. If it was domestic, many of these steps may have been able to be skipped from orphanage to the plane, in which case, it may not have been much different than applying for a passport for your child within your own country, none of the issues with the consulate, embassy, medical screenings for travel etc...

STOP sleuthing the mother or timeouts will be given.

:wave:

Confused, I don’t see any sleuthing of mom here for several pages in this thread. Loads of discussion in adoptions and kids with special needs.

I’m new, am I missing something? :what:

Sometimes the offending posts are deleted when the warnings are given. If you have a question, it is suggested that you contact a mod, rather than post in the forum. In this case, you could PM SillyBilly with your question. They are very willing to help new members ;)

Since this is the first case I have ever follow from beginning to end on WS, just wondering what happens if they find her or make an arrest? Do we continue to chat in this threat and gather facts and info as it comes or is it "case closed" on here once she is found?

Usually more discussion (our reactions/thoughts) and additionally the trial, which often includes documents, events, details previously not known until LE, witnesses, etc take the stand).

Example, current trial in progress on WS, I can't get myself to type the SK monster's name but he is on trial for killing Becky Bletsch, and also killed Jessica Heeringa (I actually just saw yesterday that LE recovered a piece of a laser site battery at the convenience store where Jessica disappeared, and it was matched to the gun that killed Becky...this did not come out until yesterday at trial, that I know of).

Start here and scroll down, you can see an example of some trial posts (thank you UndiscoveredTruth for the updates):
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-County-29-June-2014&p=13705692#post13705692

All you ever wanted to know about Indian / American adoption and more straight from the state department . The short version you get the child an Indian passport to get into the US. If parents are US citizens the child becomes a citizen on arrival in the US. An adopted Indian child shall be entitled to receive an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card, if found eligible. For more information about the procedure for applying for OCI status for your child, please contact the nearest Indian Embassy

https://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en/country-information/learn-about-a-country/india.html

• Indian Passport
    Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from India. Generally, the SAA will facilitate the issuance of an Indian passport.
    The prospective adoptive parents or SAA may apply at the nearest Regional Passport Office for an Indian passport after they receive a court order for the child. The application should include the court order, the NOC from CARA, and the child’s birth record. It generally takes approximately four weeks to obtain an Indian passport. Some parents have reported, however, that the issuance of an Indian passport may take more than two months. Please see the information below pertaining to the Government of India’s requirement to surrender one’s Indian passport when one acquires foreign citizenship.
    U.S. Immigrant Visa
    After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to finalize your application for a U.S. visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India. After the adoption or custody for purposes of emigration and adoption is granted, visit the U.S Embassy for a final review of the case, and if applicable, the issuance of a U.S. Hague Adoption Certificate or Hague Custody Certificate, the final approval of the Form I-800 petition, and to obtain your child’s immigrant visa. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you and be admitted to the United States as your child. Please contact the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi by email at NDAdopt@state.gov to schedule your child’s immigrant visa appointment. As part of this process, you must provide the consular officer with the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child if you did not provide it during the provisional approval stage. Read more about the Medical Examination.
    Before coming for your child’s immigrant visa interview, please be sure to complete an Electronic Immigrant Visa Application (DS-260) online at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). You should receive a letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) confirming receipt of the provisionally approved Form I-800 petition and assigning a case number and an invoice ID number. You will need this information to log into CEAC to file the DS-260 for your child. An adoptive parent should fill out these forms in your child's name. Answer every item on the form. If information is not applicable, please write “N/A” in the block. The DS-260 must be updated before the visa interniew to include the child's passport details and other changes, if any. Print and bring the DS-260 form confirmation page to the visa interview. Please review the DS-260 FAQs, our Online Immigrant Visa Forms page, or contact the NVC at NVCAdoptions@state.gov or +1-603-334-0700 if you have questions about completing the online DS-260 form.
    Note: After the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi issues the Article 5 letter in your case, you will be able to access and make changes to your online form. Once you obtain your child’s Indian passport, you should log back into CEAC and resubmit your DS-260 with your child’s passport details. This must be done at least 48 hours before you appear at the Embassy for your child’s immigrant visa interview in order for the DS-260 to be accessible to the consular section.
    The following is the list of the documents required by the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi in order to process immigrant visas for Indian children who have been adopted by U.S. citizens:
    · Updated fingerprint notice of the prospective adoptive parents;
    · Child's Indian passport;
    · Two (2) Color frontal portrait photographs of the child with a Whitebackground; the total frame should be 5 cm x 5 cm and the child's head size 3 cm x 3 cm;
    · The original court order and a copy of the court order;
    · The NOC from CARA;
    · Visa Fee of 325 USD which can be paid in cash (Indian Rupees or U.S. Dollars) or money order. Payments cannot be made using a credit card. Please see visa processing fees page;
    · Medical examination report of the child. The medical examination needs to be done by an approved panel physician. A list of approved panel physicians can be found on New Delhi U.S. Embassy website. Read more about the Medical Examination.
    · Article 23 issued by CARA
    Visa issuance after the final interview generally takes at least one business day provided all the required documents are submitted at the time of the interview. It is usually not possible to provide a visa on the same day as the immigrant visa interview. Adoptive parents will be notified at the time of the visa interview about the pick-up time of their child’s visa. Adoptive parents should verify current processing times with the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi and also refer to the Embassy’s holiday list before making final travel arrangements.
    Child Citizenship Act
    For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: An adopted child residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence generally will acquire U.S. citizenship automatically upon entry into the United States if the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, including the child is under the age of eighteen. (Note: U.S. citizens are permitted (and encouraged) to complete a full and final adoption of an Indian child under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act of 2000 (JJA).)
    For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: You will need to complete an adoption following your child’s entry into the United States and before the child turns eighteen for the child (if he or she otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000) to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship.
    Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.
    Indian Law Regarding Possession of an Indian Passport upon Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship: Acquisition of U.S. citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act might affect the child’s Indian citizenship. Under Indian law, the child might be required to surrender his or her Indian passport upon acquisition of U.S. citizenship and could be subject to penalties for failure to do so. Under Indian law, prior to obtaining any Indian consular services, such as an Indian visa, the child might also be required to renounce his or her Indian citizenship. Please contact the nearest Indian Embassy or consulate for details (see Contact Information below).
    Overseas Citizen of India Status
    CARA’s Guidelines Governing the Adoption of Children, 2015 state that an adopted Indian child shall be entitled to receive an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card, if found eligible. For more information about the procedure for applying for OCI status for your child, please contact the nearest Indian Embassy or consulate.

• [h=3]Traveling Abroad[/h]Applying for Your U.S. Passport
    U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Once your child has acquired U.S. citizenship, s/he will need a U.S. passport for any international travel. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.
    Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Department of State’s Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

I haven't commented, due to this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I understand! If I were in the mother's position, I would love, and hope, you all would sleuth me, to be able to exonerate me, without question. That's just me, of course. Every culture & person is different. The mother is innocent, and hasn't been accused of any crime, as we know. I'm just praying she chooses to cooperate with those trying to find Sherin.

We have brisket guy here.. and bridge guy on Abby and Libby’s thread.

What’s up with BG’s?

Just musing to myself.. and now to you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member