Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #8 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(quote)
Child abuse? Or vitamin D deficiency rickets?
Authorities fail to see, or acknowledge, the connection

Next, Dr. Carole Jenny, head of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Child Abuse, implies such tragic miscarriages of justice simply don’t happen. She then claims, “We have been checking every child with multiple fractures for metabolic bone diseases for several years and have not identified a single child with Vitamin D deficiency.” How can that statement be true if every other researcher is reporting infantile and early childhood Vitamin D deficiency to be rampant in normal children? Furthermore, how can an infant beaten severely enough to cause multiple fractures not be bruised or in distress? Dr. Jenny cleverly avoids the question.6

Finally, we have commentary by two additional pediatric radiologists, Drs. Thomas Slovis and Stephen Chapman, who make it clear they do not believe in the Vitamin D deficiency pandemic. They found an illustrated medical dictionary to support their claim that one cannot have rickets unless one has x-ray evidence of rickets. If they had found a dictionary with more words and fewer pictures they would discover rickets is defined pathologically, not radiologically.
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter-child-abuse-or-vitamin-d-deficiency-rickets/

Part of the “Vitamin D deficiency pandemic issue relates directly to the academy of Pediatrics increase in recommended level an intake in 2008. So literally children within normal limits of serum Vit D the very next day we’re considered deficient. Simply being deficient does not necessarily lead to more fractures in children it must be a large deficiency over an extended time frame. Also the reference to broken bones with no bruising in abuse fails to consider that many abused children do not recieve immediate medical care and bruises fade.
However, the Dr that testified yesterday from my understanding indicated that she ruled out ALL other medical possibilities and the only remaining option was abuse at the hands of another..

JMHO

I would ask anyone who is on this thread who is/was local to this family to weigh in with piercing honesty. Looking back, were there signs that were ignored because the guardians (I refuse to refer to them as “parents”), were “God fearing people?” Were signs ignored because on the outside everything looked fine? Nice house, good clothes, good jobs?

What if anything should friends, family, and acquaintances done differently to protect this child from this outcome?

It is clear from yesterday's questioning (based on the specific questions posed by the Asst DA) that they have systematically developed damning evidence based on the testimonies of professionals and others who were in contact with or aware of Mathews' statements and actions. In one way it is better that noting leaks before the trial.

Towards the end of Maria Guerrero's facebook live she mentions a baby shower attended by the Mathews' on Oct 7th (??), where SM made a chilling comment as to how 'tomorrow is a new beginning'. Wow :thinking:

WELL I took a break from WS but I watched yesterday....talk about being ANGRY. I have followed quite a few cases but the non chalant "MOTHER" makes me want to throw things. She is NOT A Mother. She is disgusting. She obviously broke Sherin's bones over and over since she was ADOPTED. To be switched from another country into a new family with a person who re names you and decides she likes to abuse you to the point of breaking your bones over and over.

Not only does she break your bones but you also get a skin infection and a muscle and joint infection?? HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? Let me guess....not taking care of a child who has been injured?

Damage to bones and joints caused by infection can harm a child's growth and lead to physical dysfunction. may be irritable and lethargic, refuse to eat, or vomit

WOW WHAT an IDEA!!!!! The evil woman abused her and then blamed the sick child for being sick when she is the one who caused it.

Lets not forget the "Father" who has no juevos. Cant step up and ask his wife to take some anger management classes and take his kids and leave. SO disgusting.

Thank you for what you do for children!

In your opinion, would it be standard for the Ped to have done testing for the vitamin deficiencies and other factors that could have caused brittle bones, prior to (or concurrently with) making her reports?

After reading today's developments, I am beyond sick.
I am a LSW/ RN who has worked for a Tribal CPS program. There were so many times that I was ordered to return children to families who had no right to have their children returned to them, and to remove children from families who should never have been removed. Case loads are heavy and you have to go by what your supervisor says most of the time whether or not you agree. You can disagree in your report, but for the most part, you must abide by your supervisor's ruling. However, had this case come in front of me, I would have ordered both children removed, job be damned. CPS dropped the ball here. Majorly. You don't just return children because you cannot decide who the abuser is. Sick, sick, sick. In most cases, especially in Tribal cases, the child must be placed with a suitable relative if at all possible, but you know that the excluded parent is going to have visits and in most cases there is nothing we can do about it. I know that the preference with regular CPS as well is to place children with families, but in this case with the flight risk I would have ordered them placed in the system with no contact from family until it was sorted out. This case just makes me sad.

What makes me the saddest is (IMO) I think the abuser may have been Sini. I remember a while back (sorry, can't remember the source but I believe it was MSM) that stated that Wesley was the main caretaker and that Sini was not very involved in Sherin's care. I wonder if Wesley was the one who pushed for the adoption and Sini was not on board with it and took it out on Sherin. I wonder that Wesley isn't just taking the blame for everything to protect her so she will (unlikely as it seems) get the bio daughter back (although I don't see that happening at all, or at least I hope not.) Ugh. This case just makes me so sick.

JMO, of course

Towards the end of Maria Guerrero's facebook live she mentions a baby shower attended by the Mathews' on Oct 7th (??), where SM made a chilling comment as to how 'tomorrow is a new beginning'. Wow :thinking:

This is too much. I hate people sometimes.

I saw someone upthread ask about what charges they may face if they can't get TOD or COD and I believe it was Grouchymom who explained to me that the Injury charge to WM actually carries a heavier sentence then a murder charge in Texas and was created for cases like this so that people didn't slip through a loophole.

Capitol murder would have a death sentence or could be life without. If a jury doesn't find them guilty of this, then it could be a typical murder charge which LE said carries the same sentencing as now. However, if they have a jury who is a stickler for the rules, and they can't actually PROVE intent to them, then you may see a murder charge dropped down to manslaughter which in many cases is a sentence for probation.

So, i this case, the injury charge can be proved (over and over) and a jury will see those medical records and it should be super easy for the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. If it is murder and they don't have a time of death or cause of death or know which parent was responsible for the death (i am guessing we will eventually hear that she died while home alone), then the murder charge could easily be found not guilty and lowered.

Basically, how I understand it is, it's better to have this Injury charge as with what we saw yesterday, it's 99.9% guaranteed to be convicted and the sentence is still the same as a normal murder charge. Where, if they are charged with murder and found guilty of a lesser charge, the sentencing would likely be next to nothing, if not nothing based on time served.

jmo and understanding! Please correct me if I am interpreting incorrectly!!

I just caught up on today's news . I can't even focus enough to make a reply to all of your inciteful comments . I had no doubt the facts would be far worse than we thought but this is over the top . Oh my gosh , I thought I could handle this but it's obvious I can't . Beyond evil , the abuse this precious little child endured .

You and me both. I've been following these cases a long time and I am really finding myself blown away by the circumstances of this particular case. As we learn more about Sini it's pretty clear she's a cold hearted :censor: with nothing more than disdain for Sherin. This didn't happen in a vacuum. The only person I feel sorry for now, in addition to Sherin, is her sister. What the poor child must have witnessed and that will affect the rest of her life. The court would be wise to terminate both Sini and Wesley's parental rights and place the almost 4 yr old with a non related family.

Isn't it interesting that when they first brought Sherin home, she didn't have any eating problems---they made that claim themselves. Then when she was diagnosed with Failure to Thrive, they were referred to someone who gave them some advice, outlined a program for her, and told them to bring her back in a month or so. According to Maria G., they didn't go back. They gave her one glass of whole milk on Sundays (also according to Maria G). These are the same parents who have claimed they got up, even in the middle of the night, to give Sherin nutritious drinks because she was malnourished. What a couple of Sad Sacks those two are.

Trying to calm my nerves after reading what happened yesterday in court. Precious Sherin didn't get a chance. She never had a happy life. The abuse is just shattering.

So we're back to the milk being milk and not a prescription formula or pediasure type stuff.

Regular milk will give a feeling of being full, and thus the child not eat.

Clearly a heartless comment. But it sounded like it was offered up as a suggestion that the evidence of broken bones had occurred in India, not the US.

Sort of an after-the-fact excuse, rather than a motivator.

You make a good point/idea of when that comment could have come into play.

I think it was asked of both parents at the hearing.....were both parents at the doctors office?

I wish it was stated when they said this. Not that it matters really, I'm just interested to know if that info came from someone "close" to them.

WHY would you go through the time and expense to adopt a baby just to abuse her? It absolutely blows my mind. The cruelty is unbounded.

Autoimmune disease of that type does not affect the bones, though, does it? I have this and my bones are fine. I've never seen bone issues listed for the types of AI disorders that would fall into this category.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There are over 100 types of autoimmune arthritis alone, many forms genetic connective tissue diseases, and mitochondrial deficiencies. Really any of these could potentially cause this sort of systemic infection.

Sherin entirely could have had any of these, but would have required intensive testing and evaluation. Clearly these parents only treated her as an inconvenience at best, and had no interest in proper care. I’ve read so many abuse cases, and still some of the offshoot abuse symptoms seem beyond the norm.

:rose::rose::rose:

WELL I took a break from WS but I watched yesterday....talk about being ANGRY. I have followed quite a few cases but the non chalant "MOTHER" makes me want to throw things. She is NOT A Mother. She is disgusting. She obviously broke Sherin's bones over and over since she was ADOPTED. To be switched from another country into a new family with a person who re names you and decides she likes to abuse you to the point of breaking your bones over and over.

Not only does she break your bones but you also get a skin infection and a muscle and joint infection?? HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? Let me guess....not taking care of a child who has been injured?

Damage to bones and joints caused by infection can harm a child's growth and lead to physical dysfunction. may be irritable and lethargic, refuse to eat, or vomit

WOW WHAT an IDEA!!!!! The evil woman abused her and then blamed the sick child for being sick when she is the one who caused it.

Lets not forget the "Father" who has no juevos. Cant step up and ask his wife to take some anger management classes and take his kids and leave. SO disgusting.

Munchausen by proxy ? I was accused of that by my son to CPS when he was trying to take his son back .... in his twisted brain he thought he could outsmart not only his mental health counselors and probation officer, but CPS, our local law enforcement and even Animal Control ( we have a farm and at that time a dog kennel as well )
It quickly became clear to them that HE was the abuser , for which I have always been grateful.
Breaks my heart that CPS in this case failed so miserably. Justice will be served, we all need to pray for that.

What this indicates, IMHO, is that Sini is JUST AS GUILTY as the monster she married. It was Sini the Abuse Pediatrician was addressing. It was Sini who was making excuses for the abuse, blaming it on her daughter, falls, reaching out to catch her, etc. It always seemed to be Sini who was around when she suffered "until" the night in question. No wonder she didn't look for Sherin or talk to the media.

Imo, Wesley was more the enabler here and Sini the abuser. It's becoming clearer Wesley will lie through his teeth to protect Sini. (Shame on me for smiling while imaging how Sini will likely be treated in prison. I shouldn't get any satisfaction about that, but I do.)

There are over 100 types of autoimmune arthritis alone, many forms genetic connective tissue diseases, and mitochondrial deficiencies. Really any of these could potentially cause this sort of systemic infection.

Sherin entirely could have had any of these, but would have required intensive testing and evaluation. Clearly these parents only treated her as an inconvenience at best, and had no interest in proper care. I’ve read so many abuse cases, and still some of the offshoot abuse symptoms seem beyond the norm.

:rose::rose::rose:
Yes but I'm not aware of those types causing bones to break easily. My thinking here is that it is a lot more likely that the infection in muscle and bone was caused by a neglected injury rather than an autoimmune disorder, and that it is unlikely that an autoimmune disorder contributed to her broken bones.

Okay folks I first want to say that I am sorry for ducking out on you yesterday. Once I got the partial video up and a few tweets that answered some of our long term questions, I had to check out. Yesterday’s revelations just drained the life out of me and I needed to shut down and sleep. To escape the horror Sherin couldn’t. I have seen worse cases upfront and personal but I just had to decompress and step away this time. Now, that being said let me try to spread some grouchyness.

I don’t know where to start so this may not be totally cohesive. I want to address so much my brain is whirring. Ok, the femur fracture, the femur is the largest strongest bone in the human body. It takes a huge amount of force to fracture one and the pain can be immense partly due to the fact that a it takes stress everytime the human body is upright. Because it is located below the heart it had a throbbing pain. From what I could discern from the testimony Sherin did not initially recieve treatment for it as it seemed to be found in the full body x-ray series and it had begun to heal on it’s own. If it had been treated he type of casting would depend on which end of the femur was affected. So in essence Sherin kept waking around after the largest bone in her body was broken. Take a second to digest that..................

Maria made reference in her follow up video to the Dr. testifying that the arm fracture(s) story did not match the physical findings and the fracture had been from a “twisting”. I am willing to go out on a limb here and say that meant she had 1 or more spiral fractures. Spiral Factures are the holy grail of child abuse injuries. Children’s bones are still somewhat soft to allow for growth and will actually bend to a degree before actually breaking. Most childhood accidents that result in fractures create “greenstick fractures”, so named because the bones in essence had a degree of flexibility like the “green” or fresh stick from a tree. Spiral fractures are a result of being both pulled and twisted with great force. Any time a child has a spiral fracture abuse MUST be considered. An example of an accidental injury that could cause a spiral is getting a foot stuck in a way that would prevent it from moving with the rest of the body and then falling. The rapid move and the weight transfer that would occur during the fall would create the force while the unability to move the foot would cause the “twist”. I hope that helps to give you a better visualization of the mechanics involved.

Some of us, myself included have attempted to expain the added challenges and stressors that adoption can cause on the best of parents. I have often referred to the tools necessary to cope with these stressors. Now these added challenges in no way excuse a parents abuse of the child but serves to paint a picture of what can occur. Having the coping tools to deal with it is a absolute must. I can,now that the evidence is there conclude that not only did Sini and WM not have the tools necessary to deal with those challeges, they most likely didn’t even have the toolbox to keep them in.

I know that some took offense to my post about Sini and WM being more like us than was comfortable but I stand by that. It was the fact that they seemed on the surface like the “normal” family that I believe gave them the ability to continue to hurt this child after their doctor made a CPS referral for abuse. The fact that she was a nurse made physicians give her the benefit of the doubt longer than they would have in the case of the meth heads or the single parent. Doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers and the such usually get treated differently in these incidents. They are better at coming up with good cover stories and excuses. People also tend to trust them more.

CPS should have removed both children if they could not determine who the abuser was, if for no other reason than simply because they couldn’t tell who was doing it. Sini tried to place the blame on the orphanage, the physical therapy, the other daughter and probably the day care and any one else she could come up with. On one hand they acted like the concerned parents worried about her weight and size and that would have been hard to reconcile with the x-rays and signs of abuse. Time and time again social services has failed children of abuse. It is a system that needs redesigned in a major way. The problem with CPS being held responsible for their inactivity in the case comes in because there is no one with legal standing to file a wrongful death civil case on Sherin’s behalf. Historically, it is the impending wrongful death suits that motivate social services to terminate employees that fail a child. In some states it is easier to hold them accountable for their inactivity than others. In the Gabriel Fernandez case in California 2 social workers and 2 supervisors are facing criminal trials for their part in leaving Gabriel with his killers. In the Adrian Jones case the maternal family had filed a lawsuit against Social Services in 2 states for leaving him with his killers.

At the beginning of yesterdays hearing the prosecutor entered into evidence various documents including birth certificates. She also entered into evidence the medial records of both children from Baylor. Sherin’s medical records in her short 15 months in Texas were about and inch and a half to 2 inch thick and the sisters was about a third larger in her nearly 4 years.

Maria referred to “services” from CPS in her video. Those are simply put reunification services. Those would include a reunification plan that lays out the expectations and requirements to regain custody, parent classes, anger management, random drug and alcohol testing, specific medical care or intervention. CPS has a wide latitude in the hoops it can require parents to jump through to regain custody.

As much as I hate to admit it I guess I owe and apology to Omair and the Omairettes who have been screaming loudly that Sini was the devil incarnate. They have lambasted her since the beginning. After yesterday, I too believe that she was the Alpha. That does not absolve WM. If indeed she was the primary abuser he was complicit. He knew and remained silent or if the opposite is true she knew. I now believe we are going to see a skull fracture in the autopsy. I believe Sherin suffered a head injury probably Wednesday evening or night. She missed day care Thursday we now know. She had been vomiting, a good indicator of possible head injury. They didn’t dare take her to dinner Friday evening as she was probably showing signs of the head injury with her cognitive functions altered. They knew if they sought medical care they would lose the other daughter and there was no way they would risk that for a defective child. They hoped she would pull through it just like her previous untreated injuries. When they came back from dinner she had vomited in the kitchen so they put her in the garage. At some point Sini went to bed and WM either stayed up or got up during the night and went to check on her. She vomited again and probably asperated some back into her lungs. That is the “choking” in confession 2.0. He held her with her tiny head on his shoulder until he believed she passed. She may have already passed when he went to the garage. I noticed a vent for the airconditioning in the video of the garage so she may have even been hypothermic from laying on the garage floor slowing her breathing and heart rate. She may have even been unconscious and not actually dead when he took her to the culvert. If so, death was imminent.

I think at this point it is safe to say that the two of them acted in concert to cover up the abuse and her death. I don’t know who actually dealt the blow that was the cause of death and frankly it doesn’t really matter. They both are equally responsible. They both allowed the abuse, neither reported it, the both failed to get her necessary medical attention, and they both covered up the death so as far as I am concerned they both killed her her just a surely as if they both fired a fatal shot. May god have mercy on them because I certainly hope that a jury won’t.

I am sure that I have left something important out but I need to stop now.

Here is a link to Marias video on my google drive in case anyone has trouble viewing it on her FB.

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fYrbyLwcKkppU3LNIFsR-kYKf8kMZ9jz[/video]

Oh wow, your theory about the skull injury and vomiting, along with why she was in the garage make perfect sense. I'm going to guess the autopsy and tox results are in, but because if the pending CPS hearings, LE is going to let the CPS stuffor play out as part of their investigation.

I wonder, is it possible for someone to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the bio daughter?

yes, but what would all of the charges be? Obstruction, child abuse, child neglect, aiding and abetting, murder? More? Or would these be her charges? Or both of their charges?

Depending on who the evidence shows actually carused the death or placed her in the culvert or drove the car to the culvert will depend on who gets some of the charges but some of the are likely to be:

abuse of a corpse (or the Texas equivalent) - for disposing of the body

injury to a child resulting in death/injury (charge WM currently has but Sini could still be charged - this charge can get a max of 99 years but parole can be given with it. There could be one count for every broken bone.

capital murder- if they can get enough evidence to show premeditation even seconds life without parole or death (the aggravating circumstances of pattern of continued abuse with injuries could qualify it) the autopsy would need to be clearly damning to seek this charge also the threat of a capital murder charge could negotiate a guilty plea to a different charge such as injury to a child w/death

distruction of evidence/obstruction - is possible for the items that were disposed of behind a store

WM could still looking at an additional abandonment/endangering for the dinner trip

Accesory to: Murder/capital murder/ - accessory after the fact for the kitchen conversation where WM supposedly told Sini “something terrible happened”

False reporting - for filing a false police report

I am sure that there are several more possibilities but these are the firs ones that come to mind.

Does anyone else have some possible charges to add to the list?

I didn’t add Murder because if they have enough for Murder they have enough for Capital Murder.

JMHO

Oh wow, your theory about the skull injury and vomiting, along with why she was in the garage make perfect sense. I'm going to guess the autopsy and tox results are in, but because if the pending CPS hearings, LE is going to let the CPS stuffor play out as part of their investigation.

I wonder, is it possible for someone to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the bio daughter?

It is is possible, but finding someone with legal standing that would be willing is another problem. Once the custody issues is settled the new legal guardian/parent could sue on behalf of the sister, or the grandparents could. However, I do not see Sini’s or WM’s family wanting to drag this out any more than necessary. If they would be willing it would only be against CPS I am sure, even though Sini and WM could be sued also. If the adoption had been domestic and an open adoption the bio’s might have been able to get legal standing although I haven’t heard of it happening yet. There is always some ambitious young lawyer that will welcome an opportunity to set precedent.

So so yes it is possible but improbable.

JMHO

Trying to calm my nerves after reading what happened yesterday in court. Precious Sherin didn't get a chance. She never had a happy life. The abuse is just shattering.

So we're back to the milk being milk and not a prescription formula or pediasure type stuff.

Regular milk will give a feeling of being full, and thus the child not eat.

Actually it was in Jobin Panikers tweets that the Dr said on the witness stand that after she was started on Pediasure she began gaining a little weight.
https://twitter.com/jobinpnews/status/935983171602173952?s=17

Yes but I'm not aware of those types causing bones to break easily. My thinking here is that it is a lot more likely that the infection in muscle and bone was caused by a neglected injury rather than an autoimmune disorder, and that it is unlikely that an autoimmune disorder contributed to her broken bones.

My initial post also mentioned brittle bone disease. The suspected systemic infection the doctor mentioned could suggest an underlying connective tissue disorder. When injury occurs with any of the conditions I mentioned, an underlying disease/disorder could cause an exaggerated response in her body.

With the multiple broken bones revealed, it seems odd that Sherin for the most part looked “okay” in so many photos taken in a public setting. If abusive trauma alone caused the injuries it seems that more than a bruised arm (and even a cast) should have been obvious to others. And what a spirit this little girl had for all of her smiling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee