Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #8 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here in awhile, and wanted to share a theory proposed by a friend. Based on the cultural proclivities - I apologize if the term proclivities isn't apt here but I cannot think of a better term for some of the practices in Kerala as well as other parts of India.

When I discussed the topic of the Bihar adoption, my colleague raised an important theory that if the child was indeed adopted from Bihar - known to be poverty stricken and predisposed to child trafficking - the suggestion that Sherin was adopted to be a 'slave' rather than a child, and that when this 'slave-child' was later discovered to have special-needs, the Matthews had no qualms carrying out these atrocities.

Why would the Matthews adopt a girl from Bihar when there are numerous orphanages in Kerala? The caste system is endemic in India (including Kerala). The affluent have domestic servants. It is far cheaper to have a child maid than to hire an American housekeeper, nanny and/or domestic helper. I cannot help but wonder about this real possibility which is why they did not bat an eyelid leaving the child home alone.

Nailed it.

LOL my fingers are dyslexic today please excuse the typo. LOL no wonder she was so thin.

eta I am a senile old grouch what do you expect LOL

BBM

[emoji23]🤣[emoji28][emoji23]🤣

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here in awhile, and wanted to share a theory proposed by a friend. Based on the cultural proclivities - I apologize if the term proclivities isn't apt here but I cannot think of a better term for some of the practices in Kerala as well as other parts of India.

When I discussed the topic of the Bihar adoption, my colleague raised an important theory that if the child was indeed adopted from Bihar - known to be poverty stricken and predisposed to child trafficking - the suggestion that Sherin was adopted to be a 'slave' rather than a child, and that when this 'slave-child' was later discovered to have special-needs, the Matthews had no qualms carrying out these atrocities.

Why would the Matthews adopt a girl from Bihar when there are numerous orphanages in Kerala? The caste system is endemic in India (including Kerala). The affluent have domestic servants. It is far cheaper to have a child maid than to hire an American housekeeper, nanny and/or domestic helper. I cannot help but wonder about this real possibility which is why they did not bat an eyelid leaving the child home alone.

Would there not have been some kind of proclamation in the adoption proceedings to prevent this sort of thing from happening while following the law?

Hi everyone,

I think the simplest explanation for this adoption from Bihar has been given in the earlier discussions about adoption from India. You don't get to pick and choose the orphanage or the child but have to wait and opt to adopt the child suggested by the central agency from the limited pool of children available for overseas adoption.

Even if they wanted to adopt a future 'slave' bringing her up from the age of 3 is a rather costly option IMO !!

Hi everyone,

I have thought this to be a possibility from day one.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Yes, I was joking about the lawyers should have pled the fifth, because if their intention is to make WM sound like a good dad the lawyer comments about the lack of pictures of Sherin do not make him sound at all like a good dad.

I have no idea if WM is legally competent or not, but I do think it's important for his lawyers to know. The smile from WM to Sini did not strike me as a sign of competence. If the charges get upgraded, then I do feel it's very important to ensure competence is investigated by a psych evaluation prior to a possible dp trial. WM can clearly hold down a job, he has a job that needs a high working IQ, so he's not incompetent in that sense, but *if* there's a chance of emotional pressure from Sini that's altered his ability to think rationally, and if he is convinced in his own mind that he must take the rap for everything in that home...to me that's not full competence, but I don't know what the legal standards are for a person who's been 'brainwashed' in this way, and nor do I know if that has happened to WM.

This is a horrific case, I want to make sure the right person goes down for the right thing.

If Sini is the one who spent most of the time at home with Sherin, I think there's a very good chance she's been the primary abuser. From what we've heard she has shown zero concern for Sherin. I see signs of remorse in WM's expressions, but none in Sini. She didn't say they had to call the police the moment she allegedly woke that morning. When the police did arrive she seems to have given them the impression she was more concerned about the baby shower than her own baby being missing. I believe she knew Sherin was dead and there was no point searching for her, but who'd want to go to a baby shower if they were covering for their husband murdering their child? But if WM doesn't testify against her, how can they 'prove' to a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she had any part in Sherin's abuse, death, or cover-up?

So, to me, that leaves WM as either co-abuser, willingly turning a blind eye or participating, or he's been 'brainwashed' to the point that he makes excuses for Sini, will protect her even to giving his life for her crimes as well as his own. I've never known a case like this where psych exams were called for or an insanity defense was used. But if he needs a couple of years of treatment in order to get to the point where he can tell the truth, what would that mean for a trial?

Well, again, I think that a finding of "incompetent to stand trial" requires some pretty substantial evidence. These are the Texas criteria:
"the capacity of the defendant during criminal proceedings to:
(A) rationally understand the charges against the defendant and the potential consequences of the pending criminal proceedings;
(B) disclose to counsel pertinent facts, events, and states of mind;
(C) engage in a reasoned choice of legal strategies and options;
(D) understand the adversarial nature of criminal proceedings;
(E) exhibit appropriate courtroom behavior; and
(F) testify;"

If I recall correctly, the claim of Stockholm Syndrome got Patricia Hurst exactly nothing. And she was held in isolation and subjected to systematic programming activities over an extended period of time by captors who had total control of such basics as food, clothing and shelter.

So--I don't see his competence to stand trial as being likely to be an impediment.

Now, whether his state of mind could become a part of a defense, is something else again.

Just spitballing, I am looking for a charge along the lines of manslaughter against Sini, perhaps in conjunction with abuse and neglect. And for Wesley, perhaps the current charges will stand with the addition perhaps of complicity after the fact (and abuse of a corpse, depending on who drove and placed the body). Obstruction of justice, maybe. If this goes before a jury, I suspect that juries would tend to be unsympathetic to a man claiming to be under the control of his wife to the extent of being unaccountable for his own actions. So--that may be a pretty tough story to sell.

Yes, I was joking about the lawyers should have pled the fifth, because if their intention is to make WM sound like a good dad the lawyer comments about the lack of pictures of Sherin do not make him sound at all like a good dad.

I have no idea if WM is legally competent or not, but I do think it's important for his lawyers to know. The smile from WM to Sini did not strike me as a sign of competence. If the charges get upgraded, then I do feel it's very important to ensure competence is investigated by a psych evaluation prior to a possible dp trial. WM can clearly hold down a job, he has a job that needs a high working IQ, so he's not incompetent in that sense, but *if* there's a chance of emotional pressure from Sini that's altered his ability to think rationally, and if he is convinced in his own mind that he must take the rap for everything in that home...to me that's not full competence, but I don't know what the legal standards are for a person who's been 'brainwashed' in this way, and nor do I know if that has happened to WM.

This is a horrific case, I want to make sure the right person goes down for the right thing.

If Sini is the one who spent most of the time at home with Sherin, I think there's a very good chance she's been the primary abuser. From what we've heard she has shown zero concern for Sherin. I see signs of remorse in WM's expressions, but none in Sini. She didn't say they had to call the police the moment she allegedly woke that morning. When the police did arrive she seems to have given them the impression she was more concerned about the baby shower than her own baby being missing. I believe she knew Sherin was dead and there was no point searching for her, but who'd want to go to a baby shower if they were covering for their husband murdering their child? But if WM doesn't testify against her, how can they 'prove' to a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she had any part in Sherin's abuse, death, or cover-up?

So, to me, that leaves WM as either co-abuser, willingly turning a blind eye or participating, or he's been 'brainwashed' to the point that he makes excuses for Sini, will protect her even to giving his life for her crimes as well as his own. I've never known a case like this where psych exams were called for or an insanity defense was used. But if he needs a couple of years of treatment in order to get to the point where he can tell the truth, what would that mean for a trial?

Am just catching up, but IF WM can prove through psych evals and other means, that he was abused and in a "brainwashed" type of relationship that made it so he couldn't mentally leave or do the right thing, it would be likely that Sini would be charged for the emotional abuse on him as well.

I know they are going to try and use spousal privilege but I remember early on grouchymom posted the laws and they were clear that spousal privilege does not cover crimes against children in the state of Texas, so WM can testify all he wants against Sini when it comes to criminal court, and vice versa. The struggle is going to be with a plea deal IMO.

If they expect either person to turn on the other and not self-incriminate on the stand, they will likely argue for a reduced sentence and immunity against any new charges. Which IMO means, that if Sini takes the deal first, WM will go to jail for the worst of it, even if he didn't do it. And, unless WM opens up before trial, I think he will be "happy" to be "punished" for everything that happened if it means protecting Sini, at this point. I can see him appealing like crazy in a few years saying it was all lies covering for his wife but after prosecution isn't when it matters when making those statements, so he really could throw away his ENTIRE life (especially if this goes to death penalty), simply out of what he perceives as love.

ALL JMO

I am surprised that there has been no significant discussion on the 2 weeks delay in retrieving the body from the culvert after Sherin was reported missing on Oct 7th.

Did the search teams miss the hidden body during their initial searches, if yes why hasn't the media raised questions ?

If not, is there an explanation for this delayed placement of the body ?

And why would WM or the person who placed it in the culvert chose a location so close to the Mathews' house ?

Well, again, I think that a finding of "incompetent to stand trial" requires some pretty substantial evidence. These are the Texas criteria:
"the capacity of the defendant during criminal proceedings to:
(A) rationally understand the charges against the defendant and the potential consequences of the pending criminal proceedings;
(B) disclose to counsel pertinent facts, events, and states of mind;
(C) engage in a reasoned choice of legal strategies and options;
(D) understand the adversarial nature of criminal proceedings;
(E) exhibit appropriate courtroom behavior; and
(F) testify;"

If I recall correctly, the claim of Stockholm Syndrome got Patricia Hurst exactly nothing. And she was held in isolation and subjected to systematic programming activities over an extended period of time by captors who had total control of such basics as food, clothing and shelter.

So--I don't see his competence to stand trial as being likely to be an impediment.

Now, whether his state of mind could become a part of a defense, is something else again.

Just spitballing, I am looking for a charge along the lines of manslaughter against Sini, perhaps in conjunction with abuse and neglect. And for Wesley, perhaps the current charges will stand with the addition perhaps of complicity after the fact (and abuse of a corpse, depending on who drove and placed the body). Obstruction of justice, maybe. If this goes before a jury, I suspect that juries would tend to be unsympathetic to a man claiming to be under the control of his wife to the extent of being unaccountable for his own actions. So--that may be a pretty tough story to sell.

I don't know WM, so I can only conjecture and I could be way off, and I will keep reminding myself that.

A) I don't see any issue with that, he knows why he's there and what the trial is for
B) Potential problem
C) Potential problem based on B
D) I don't see a problem
E) Yes and no. He can clearly answer questions, understand the judge's ruling and things like that. The 'smile' probably doesn't come into this from a legal standpoint, but I find that behavior very, very odd from a human nature pov
F) He can testify, but my question is whether or not he'll testify in his best interests and in the true interests of justice for Sherin. IE if he's testifying but his testimony is perjury due to 'brainwashing', then that's a problem?

Patty Hearst is a name I recognize and after seeing the last few posts here I do recognize it in conjunction with the Stockholm Syndrome defense, and I have a vague knowledge of the main points of her being kidnapped and trapped and ending up doing what the kidnappers' told her to do to the point of being part of a major crime.

But psychology has moved on a LOT in the past 40 years.

However, I absolutely agree that a man claiming Stockholm Syndrome would be an extremely hard sell on a jury. It would be hard if it was a woman and a baby was dead, but a man...

At the moment, regardless of my feelings on insanity and crime, I am accepting that WM will go down for his part in this. My concern is that IF Sini played a major part in the abuse of Sherin, and definitely if she was the prime mover in the death of Sherin, that she go down with WM and not walk free due to his inability to testify against her.

Am just catching up, but IF WM can prove through psych evals and other means, that he was abused and in a "brainwashed" type of relationship that made it so he couldn't mentally leave or do the right thing, it would be likely that Sini would be charged for the emotional abuse on him as well.

I know they are going to try and use spousal privilege but I remember early on grouchymom posted the laws and they were clear that spousal privilege does not cover crimes against children in the state of Texas, so WM can testify all he wants against Sini when it comes to criminal court, and vice versa. The struggle is going to be with a plea deal IMO.

If they expect either person to turn on the other and not self-incriminate on the stand, they will likely argue for a reduced sentence and immunity against any new charges. Which IMO means, that if Sini takes the deal first, WM will go to jail for the worst of it, even if he didn't do it. And, unless WM opens up before trial, I think he will be "happy" to be "punished" for everything that happened if it means protecting Sini, at this point. I can see him appealing like crazy in a few years saying it was all lies covering for his wife but after prosecution isn't when it matters when making those statements, so he really could throw away his ENTIRE life (especially if this goes to death penalty), simply out of what he perceives as love.

ALL JMO

Without spousal privilege, I would imagine Sini testifying against WM and WM accepting that as part of his protection of Sini.

If he was to refuse to testify against her, would that not bring in contempt of court charges?

But I have a feeling that a story of WM being the prime abuser will be accepted, and Sini doing a plea to testify against WM will be accepted.

I am surprised that there has been no significant discussion on the 2 weeks delay in retrieving the body from the culvert after Sherin was reported missing on Oct 7th.

Did the search teams miss the hidden body during their initial searches, if yes why hasn't the media raised questions ?

If not, is there an explanation for this delayed placement of the body ?

And why would WM or the person who placed it in the culvert chose a location so close to the Mathews' house ?

Right at the beginning when Sherin was found, I said that culvert feels to me like a female dump site. I read on another thread the other day someone comment that from their knowledge, a dump site close to the home is a female trait, and that males tend to dump further from the home. I haven't checked to see if that is true or not, and I don't have an expert handy to run over my theory that the culvert feels feminine. Add into that I don't trust Sini to choose a particularly 'motherly' spot for Sherin as she didn't give birth to Sherin, doesn't appear to have ever felt motherly toward Sherin, and appears to have shown zero remorse after the fact. The only time we've heard of Sini showing tearful emotion was when she was in court and likely losing lifelong custody of her biological daughter, but we have not heard of any 3rd party confirmation of tears or remorse over Sherin.

I still feel WM did the body dump. But why that spot? And why has he indicated that he would have liked to move the body, and where and how would he have 'buried' the body if he had had the opportunity to go back and do that?

I agree with you that I have a lot of questions about this, but I can't think of any reasonable explanation. And by that I mean a reasonable explanation for a man who's just murdered his child.

She will have a very tough life in prison. Baby abusers/killers are not well received.

All amateur speculation and opinion.
Unfortunately there are many child abusers/killers in prison, she'll fit right in and just be one of them.

Weird. I just woke up... I dreamed about Sherin. All I can remember is group of people rescued her, a woman was holding her, she was laughing and smiling while the woman played with her and fussed over her. She looked happy, loved, adorable, radiant. [emoji259]
Probably my mom in Heaven. She always wanted another granddaughter.

Without spousal privilege, I would imagine Sini testifying against WM and WM accepting that as part of his protection of Sini.

If he was to refuse to testify against her, would that not bring in contempt of court charges?

But I have a feeling that a story of WM being the prime abuser will be accepted, and Sini doing a plea to testify against WM will be accepted.

I am afraid you may be correct. Many people in society tend to always place blame on the father/male much more than they ever do with the mother... even when both defendants were involved in the abuse or death.

But as for me, I will only accept if its proven to be true. Just because Sini is a female/mom means nothing to me except make me cringe. Holding the title of mom never means she isn't just as guilty of doing abuse, neglect and other crimes against her child or even being a demanding control freak when it comes to her husband. She has already admitted she knows her husband will do anything for her. So she seems confident if she had any involvement in Sherin's death Wesley will cover for her, imo.

It seems more often than not when a mom and dad are involved and equal participants in harming or killing their child/children the sweetheart deal will go most often to the female defendant. I honestly find that infuriating. Neither one deserves a plea deal.

I actually hope no plea deal is accepted by the state for either of them even if their lawyers comes to the DA wanting one. They both acted in tandem while leaving little Sharon in a dangerous situation and Sini was the one there (not Wesley) when Sherin's little arm was badly hurt..

Spousal privilege normally goes out the window when the victim is a child but it may stand in this case since they both are criminal defendants unless of course one gets a sweetheart deal.

I constantly read news articles and it seems almost everyday there will be another article about a 'mom' abusing, neglecting or killing their child/children and some are done in the harshest cruel barbaric ways.

Women can be just as controlling, abusive, and domineering in their home as any male. Women aren't the only ones who have to deal with abusive partners

A few years back I read that almost 1 million calls were made by males to 911 in one year in our nation and the perpetrators of the DV assaults were done by a past or present female partner. And this doesn't even include verbal or emotional abuse inflicted by a female partner to the male victim. I have had two close male friends in my lifetime who were horribly abused by their spouse..both emotionally and physically. They stayed married for years to the abusers because they didn't want to leave their children and thought by staying they could be there to protect their children or see to their daily needs. This was at a time that the mother was always believed in family court even if they concocted vindictive lies against the father.

IMO

I love that picture in my head. ❤️

I lost my 43 year old son last week. I lost my mom in 2015. She’s been heavily on my mind. I need her desperately right now. I hope she’s Sherin’s angel.

I lost my 43 year old son last week. I lost my mom in 2015. She’s been heavily on my mind. I need her desperately right now. I hope she’s Sherin’s angel.

Surrounding you with love, and sending angels of comfort to you.

Oh my gosh ... so very very sorry ! Prayers for you at this very difficult time . And I am sure your mama and precious little Sherin are praying for you too !

So sorry for your loss Philigumbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member