GUILTY TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/625245.html

Father killed adopted son: "He said he helped give Hyun-su a shower on Jan. 31, during which he said the 3-year-old slipped in the bathtub, falling backward and hitting his shoulder. The following day, he fed Hyun-su breakfast and took him to a swimming pool. After coming back home, O’Callaghan said, he put the boy down for a nap, but when he went to check on him, the child had mucus coming from his nose and began vomiting and was unresponsive. He then took Hyun-su to an emergency room."

O’Callaghan didn’t call 911 for help, and that he cleaned the mark of mucus on Hyun-su’s bed sheet before taking him to the hospital.

According to the Hankyoreh’s own investigation, it was understood that Hyun-su was one of the 62 adoptees sent to abroad in 2013 through Holt Children’s Services.

Another adoption where child is killed through HOLT? hmmm

This is Sherin's thread, I am only posting this for comparison/similarities

More about Holt...

In an e-mail to*India-West,*Susan Soonkeum Cox, vice president for Policy & External Affairs at Holt International said:

[...]

“During the Mathews’ adoption process, Holt International, as well as our partner agency in Texas, followed all national and international adoption policies, procedures, laws and best practices.”

------

Indian news sources report that Holt International submitted four follow-up reports to the Child Adoption Resource Authority in India since Sherin’s adoption on July 8, 2016. The reports stated that Sherin was “adjusting well” in her new home and appeared to be “secure and comfortable.”

The reports also noted, however, that she displayed “eating concerns.”

What partner agency in Texas???

http://www.indiawest.com/news/globa...cle_04a7592c-f63f-11e7-aaae-8736bdc3984c.html

I found this at this website from Holt: http://www.holtinternational.org/adoption/coopagenciesState.php?state=Texas
attachment.php

Thank you. I guess these are the follow-up agencies.

Wow, small circles! Upbring The new LSS... I went and talked to LSS - Lutheran Social Services - in Austin when I put my third child up for adoption 25 years ago. I went for counseling and was so very thankful for the free resource even though I ultimately chose the parents on my own and did not use any other services. They were wonderful.

Did someone from one of these agencies testify on their follow-up visits with Sherin at the first family court hearing? I know we only got snippets. They obviously knew something about the feeding issues.

Poor Sherin. Justice is coming, little one.

Thank you. I guess these are the follow-up agencies.

Wow, small circles! Upbring The new LSS... I went and talked to LSS - Lutheran Social Services - in Austin when I put my third child up for adoption 25 years ago. I went for counseling and was so very thankful for the free resource even though I ultimately chose the parents on my own and did not use any other services. They were wonderful.

Did someone from one of these agencies testify on their follow-up visits with Sherin at the first family court hearing? I know we only got snippets. They obviously knew something about the feeding issues.

Poor Sherin. Justice is coming, little one.

You're Welcome, I am happy to help! Normally people beat me to the punch on finding info. I am glad that you were treated so wonderfully during what I can imagine would be a difficult period in your life.

Yes, it was the best and most difficult decision I could make for myself and my children at that time in my life. Those were tough times.

All I see in MSM is reports regarding Sherin's doctor's testimony [emoji20] and CPS, which makes sense given the goal of the custody hearing and how horrifying that testimony was.

Hopefully any follow-up reporting from the partner agency will shed some light on the baseline/ timeline of when things downward-spiralled from 'feeding issues' to unmitigated child abuse.

Yes, it was the best and most difficult decision I could make for myself and my children at that time in my life. Those were tough times.

All I see in MSM is reports regarding Sherin's doctor's testimony [emoji20] and CPS, which makes sense given the goal of the custody hearing and how horrifying that testimony was.

Hopefully any follow-up reporting from the partner agency will shed some light on the baseline/ timeline of when things downward-spiralled from 'feeding issues' to unmitigated child abuse.

You know, I did not even THINK of how people who have placed their child for adoption must feel about this case. It must really hit on something and make you think about how you would feel in that situation. Thanks for sharing your situation.

New Article about the adoptions being suspended
http://www.wfaa.com/news/india-susp...gligence-in-sherin-mathews-adoption/505652306

"India has suspended an American adoption agency for what the government says was "negligent" behavior in the assessment of adoptive parents.

Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi and CEO of The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) Deepak Kumar made the formal decision to suspend Holt International, the adoption agency used by Sherin Mathews' adoptive parents Sini and Wesley Mathews.

CARA is India's managing agency for adoptions.

"In a tweet, Kumar said CARA found negligence in the assessment of the adoptive parents and also in the post placement assessment of the family."

I have not ever adopted so I do not know how the assesments really work...but it would appear they ignored/with held CPS reports right?

More from gigglingtoes link:

CARA has called for partner agencies to make sure that interested applicants who want to adopt a child from India have an evaluation of their psychological condition conducted by a licensed practitioner. The organization added this requirement in December.

"We have already made the Psychological assessment of the Prospective Adoptive Parents mandatory for which circular has already been issued to all Authorised Foreign Adoption Agencies," Kumar said.

[emoji15]

Yellow Rose said:
Can someone update me as to when the next court appearance is?
edimmu said:
January 26th

Is this about the daughter or the Grand Jury indictments??

Gigglingtoes said:
You know, I did not even THINK of how people who have placed their child for adoption must feel about this case. It must really hit on something and make you think about how you would feel in that situation. Thanks for sharing your situation.

That's why I had to find my daughter I gave up 48 years ago.... she is okay! :)

New Article about the adoptions being suspended
http://www.wfaa.com/news/india-susp...gligence-in-sherin-mathews-adoption/505652306

"India has suspended an American adoption agency for what the government says was "negligent" behavior in the assessment of adoptive parents.

Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi and CEO of The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) Deepak Kumar made the formal decision to suspend Holt International, the adoption agency used by Sherin Mathews' adoptive parents Sini and Wesley Mathews.

CARA is India's managing agency for adoptions.

"In a tweet, Kumar said CARA found negligence in the assessment of the adoptive parents and also in the post placement assessment of the family."

I have not ever adopted so I do not know how the assesments really work...but it would appear they ignored/with held CPS reports right?

I don't know that the agency doing follow up had access to the CPS reports. Accusations without a finding (and I am guessing that was the outcome of the doc's report) are generally available only within CPS. In some states there are registries of parents/other with findings from investigation are listed. Depending on the state, these are available categorically on a need-to-know basis, such as to child care agencies and others required to do due diligence in hiring. I don't know about Texas, but I suspect that even had Holt's local contracted agency sought after CPS info there might not be a mechanism for them to share records. And in my own state we have the further complication of "local control," which means that every county agency has a high level of autonomy that tends to work against statewide information sharing.

Not saying that there might not have been some stones left unturned, just suggesting that it's not always that easy.

“A Dallas County grand jury just handed down two indictments against Wesley Mathews in the murder of his 3-year-old daughter, Sherin.

Mathews was indicted for capital murder of person under 10 years of age and tampering with/fabricating physical evidence with intent to impair.

That means the panel found enough evidence against Mathews to take the case to trial.”
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/S...icted-On-Capital-Murder-Charge-469002133.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREAKING:
Sini Mathews also indicted BUT not on murder:
ABANDON/ ENDANGER CHILD IMMINENT DANGER BODILY INJURY - Second Degree Felony

from Maria Guerrero (link coming soon)

Maria will do a facebook live in a few minutes.

BREAKING:
Sini Mathews also indicted BUT not on murder:
ABANDON/ ENDANGER CHILD IMMINENT DANGER BODILY INJURY - Second Degree Felony

from Maria Guerrero (link coming soon)

Maria will do a facebook live in a few minutes.
What kind of sentence could this carry?

Will both of these charges essentially end any hope of either getting custody of their daughter?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Will both of these charges essentially end any hope of either getting custody of their daughter?

It was also mentioned that GJ heard that WM used a "deadly weapon" revealed only to GJ. More details at facebook live feed shortly, hopefully.

It sounds like the prosecution's theory of the crime is that WM committed the murder by violence and that Sini failed to prevent him doing so (my interpretation). IOW knew or should have known that Sherin was being regularly abused and failed to protect her.

Child abandonment is a second-degree felony if the offender abandons the child in his or her care, custody, or control under circumstances a reasonable person would believe would cause the child imminent danger of mental impairment, physical impairment, bodily injury, or death. Second-degree felony convictions come with two to 20 years of prison time and/ or a maximum fine of $10,000.

http://www.georgetownlaw.net/criminal-defense/domestic-violence/abandoning-or-endangering-a-child/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaminMetairie
Back