TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is another possibility. It’s possible that the Altima went to the SWFA store BEFORE going to the church. Perhaps the damage that was done presumably to test for an alarm was done at THAT point. And then the car could have driven to a remote part of the property or somewhere else to wait for the alarm response.

JMHO
I feel the Altima is a red herring like the bloody Tshirts were.

There was a special event held at the Church the weekend before the murder occurred on Monday. The exterior cameras were not working on Monday. Were they working the weekend prior to Monday morning?

Someone with knowledge of AV equipment could easily have tampered with the system during the special event at Creekside Church.

MB was having an intimate and familiar relationship with CW as confirmed by deleted, then recovered, messages on LI.

Who knew this was happening? Who possibly could have known?

Days before the murder, MB received a creepy message from an unknown male on LI that disturbed her. Whoever sent this particular message must have known MB was communicating with CW via LI.
Some have postulated that maybe - just maybe - CW and the creepy LI message were one and the same. That the creepy message could have been CW, and perhaps Missy’s friend happened to see it. This would have necessitated Missy doing a little CYA and pretending she had no idea who this was.

Breaking all the glass is vandalism. We don't know if more was done but held back by police.

I don't understand the comment I've bolded. Police have never stated whether or not they believe Missy was targetted (which they commonly do, one way or the other). There was no theft. So vandalism is a possibility that hasn't yet been ruled out.

True. LE has not admitted the murder victim was targeted. However, ...
April 26, 2016
Sources: Police believe slain Midlothian mom was targeted | wfaa.com

Sources tell News 8 that investigators are certain that Bevers was the target, and did not stumble into a burglary gone bad. They further believe that the scene was staged to make it look like there had been a burglary.

Some have postulated that maybe - just maybe - CW and the creepy LI message were one and the same. That the creepy message could have been CW, and perhaps Missy’s friend happened to see it. This would have necessitated Missy doing a little CYA and pretending she had no idea who this was.

CW surely wasn't sending MB creepy messages. Their relationship was intimate and familiar; not freaky. Contrary to his MMA rep, CW was a lover; not a fighter.

Who would know MB and CW were communicating via LI?

JMHO
I feel the Altima is a red herring like the bloody Tshirts were.

There was a special event held at the Church the weekend before the murder occurred on Monday. The exterior cameras were not working on Monday. Were they working the weekend prior to Monday morning?

Someone with knowledge of AV equipment could easily have tampered with the system during the special event at Creekside Church.
I tend to be more suspicious regarding the Altima and less suspicious regarding the outside cameras. With the Altima, it’s just a heck of a lot of coincidental timing and strange behavior to ignore. With the outside cameras, I believe there were two - West entrance and SW awning entrance. I think the West entrance was the only one that truly did not work. I think they have footage from under the awning because one warrant notes that police had footage of campers gathering under the awning prior to 5 and looking at their phones. There is no other camera that I know of that could have captured that.

Johnson said he didn’t believe cameras had been tampered with. He said the church was aware of issues, and I think he was referring to the West outside camera when he said that.

CW surely wasn't sending MB creepy messages. Their relationship was intimate and familiar; not freaky. Contrary to his MMA rep, CW was a lover; not a fighter.

Who would know MB and CW were communicating via LI?
You misunderstood me. What I’m saying is, CW could have sent one of his intimate messages to Missy, which wouldn’t have been creepy to her. But she failed to prevent her friend from seeing it. So this friend - not knowing of an affair - would wonder why someone is sending Missy a message that says, “Baby, I can’t stop thinking about you and our night together” or WHATEVER it said (that’s just a hypothetical). So Missy would have to do damage control and say, “Whoa, I have no idea who this is from. How creepy.” Do you see what I’m saying?

I tend to be more suspicious regarding the Altima and less suspicious regarding the outside cameras. With the Altima, it’s just a heck of a lot of coincidental timing and strange behavior to ignore. With the outside cameras, I believe there were two - West entrance and SW awning entrance. I think the West entrance was the only one that truly did not work. I think they have footage from under the awning because one warrant notes that police had footage of campers gathering under the awning prior to 5 and looking at their phones. There is no other camera that I know of that could have captured that.

Johnson said he didn’t believe cameras had been tampered with. He said the church was aware of issues, and I think he was referring to the West outside camera when he said that.

In May, at the same time Johnson didn't believe cameras were tampered with, he stated:

“At this point, none of her family, friends or coworkers are suspects,” Johnson said.

"...Bevers’ family, including her husband Brandon Bevers and father-in-law Randy Bevers, have provided detailed and verified alibis for the time of the murder," Johnson said, "and are no longer actively considered suspects, though no one will be definitively ruled out until the case is solved."

... but police continue to look for the driver of a light-colored car seen pulling into the SWFA parking lot near the church at about 2 a.m. April 18.

“We don’t have anything linking them to the crime. We would just like to talk to that driver of that car to tie up that lead,” Johnson said. “It is simply an unfinished lead.”

Edited to add link Assistant police chief: Family not suspects in Bevers Murder

You misunderstood me. What I’m saying is, CW could have sent one of his intimate messages to Missy, which wouldn’t have been creepy to her. But she failed to prevent her friend from seeing it. So this friend - not knowing of an affair - would wonder why someone is sending Missy a message that says, “Baby, I can’t stop thinking about you and our night together” or WHATEVER it said (that’s just a hypothetical). So Missy would have to do damage control and say, “Whoa, I have no idea who this is from. How creepy.” Do you see what I’m saying?

I do understand your opinion on the creepy LI message. However, I'm claiming MB showed the LI message to her friend as reported in MSM. It was not accidentally seen by her friend. It was shown to her on purpose for a reason.

Fitness Instructor Received 'Creepy' Message Before Her Murder

A few days before she was killed, Missy Bevers showed a friend a message she had received from an unknown male on LinkedIn, "and they both agreed that the message was creepy and strange," says the warrant

In May, at the same time Johnson didn't believe cameras were tampered with, he stated:

“At this point, none of her family, friends or coworkers are suspects,” Johnson said.

"...Bevers’ family, including her husband Brandon Bevers and father-in-law Randy Bevers, have provided detailed and verified alibis for the time of the murder," Johnson said, "and are no longer actively considered suspects, though no one will be definitively ruled out until the case is solved."

... but police continue to look for the driver of a light-colored car seen pulling into the SWFA parking lot near the church at about 2 a.m. April 18.

“We don’t have anything linking them to the crime. We would just like to talk to that driver of that car to tie up that lead,” Johnson said. “It is simply an unfinished lead.”

Edited to add link Assistant police chief: Family not suspects in Bevers Murder
I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. Can you be more plainly specific? You mentioned Johnson saying the cameras were not tampered with, and then you went on to talk about the family, friends and coworkers being ruled out, and then the desire to talk to the Altima driver. What correlation are you drawing between those things?

Uploading a couple of pics to show the outside cameras. These are cameras that I know of... not sure if there are more.

West entrance:

62DE24EA-46EF-436A-944C-43BE6715704E.jpeg

SW Awning entrance:

DE77195F-490C-44B3-AEA5-56D457A3B4AD.png

Also believe there to be one in the NW area of the building close to the driveway.

Last edited:
A lot of what was said at the outset of the investigation was perhaps offered without the opportunity or benefit of fuller thinking, because statements or ideas were later revised. And that's smart - you want to adjust when you know more. So where we have something from very early in the investigation (April, May June 2016) that seems contrary to what we have heard since, I don't think we should see it as especially illuminating in relation to what we have heard since.

For example, on the idea that Missy was targeted - that was indeed the thinking at first, but as they investigated more of the facts, they backed off of that and said it was just as likely that she was NOT targeted.

I do understand your opinion on the creepy LI message. However, I'm claiming MB showed the LI message to her friend as reported in MSM. It was not accidentally seen by her friend. It was shown to her on purpose for a reason.

Fitness Instructor Received 'Creepy' Message Before Her Murder

A few days before she was killed, Missy Bevers showed a friend a message she had received from an unknown male on LinkedIn, "and they both agreed that the message was creepy and strange," says the warrant

Respectfully, what Lhughessk is saying about this is still quite possible.

We have the (reporter/warrant's account of the) friend's PERCEPTION (that Missy was showing it openly), but we have no way to verify that from Missy's end - sometimes perception and reality are very different.

There's still a possibility the conversation and discussion wasn't quite what the friend thought it was. It could have been precipitated by an ACCIDENTAL initial "showing" of the message, which the friend construed as being showed intentionally, while Missy was simply scrambling to cover up (calling it unsolicited which would have made it creepy, whereas she actually knew the sender and just didn't want to admit it). And if Missy did actually know (or have a real good idea) who sent it, it could have been CW but it also could have been someone else.

Unfortunately, the fact that the friend couldn't recall who sent it, and it wasn't available later to enable a search for the sender, means it's impossible to backtrack and figure out with more certainty.

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. Can you be more plainly specific? You mentioned Johnson saying the cameras were not tampered with, and then you went on to talk about the family, friends and coworkers being ruled out, and then the desire to talk to the Altima driver. What correlation are you drawing between those things?
Sometimes, I can confuse myself! The three topics were covered in the news article linked so I added the extra info on the family as stated by Johnson.

The article included the statement: "no one will be definitively ruled out until the case is solved", hence, it was tossed into the mix because even though some have established alibis, in the eyes of the law, can we trust them? I say not until the case is solved and an arrest is made.

An example of being trustworthy would be the height of the SP was 6' when the story is told to BB upon arrival from MS. Then, the measurement of the suspect changed to between 5' 2" and 5' 7" tall in May 2016. In April 2019, the measurement is 5'8".

I must take what my eyes are telling me the height may be since LE cannot seem to stabilize on a height. They arrested BWH, who is 6'1", then kept him in jail for over 70 days.

Sometimes, I can confuse myself! The three topics were covered in the news article linked so I added the extra info on the family as stated by Johnson.

The article included the statement: "no one will be definitively ruled out until the case is solved", hence, it was tossed into the mix because even though some have established alibis, in the eyes of the law, can we trust them? I say not until the case is solved and an arrest is made.

An example of being trustworthy would be the height of the SP was 6' when the story is told to BB upon arrival from MS. Then, the measurement of the suspect changed to between 5' 2" and 5' 7" tall in May 2016. In April 2019, the measurement is 5'8".

I must take what my eyes are telling me the height may be since LE cannot seem to stabilize on a height. They arrested BWH, who is 6'1", then kept him in jail for over 70 days.
Yeah, the height is an interesting deal. I really think MPD was pulling Brandon’s leg on that one. 6 ft is not something they ever said to the public. Only Brandon.

I also wonder if some of the fluctuating that occurred later may have arisen out of confusion over “clothed height” versus “naked height”. The first thing they said to us, before Tarrant County did its thing, was 5’7” to 5’9”. And at the 3 year mark they gave the most recent update which was 5’8” give or take an inch and a half. When you think about it, those two ranges are pretty much the same thing. And they made clear with the 5’8” that they were talking about from the floor to the top of helmet, with all the gear on. I don’t know why they still have to have an inch and a half variance on either side after doing the forensic video reconstruction, unless it has to do with the poor video quality.

The other range was a week after Tarrant, in which they said 5’2” to 5’7”. I believe that the only real difference here is that this range was a naked height calculation. The reason it’s still kind of a large range is that they are unable to know for sure how thick that helmet is, or how thick the hair is underneath that helmet, and how much lift the boots provide.

So bottom line I don’t think their belief about the killer’s height has changed a whole lot. Which still makes it head-scratching that they went after BWH. All I can think is they had some really strong tips come in about him and he checked so many boxes that they were compelled to see it through. Btw he didn’t stay in jail for 70 days because of Missy Bevers. He stayed because he couldn’t or wouldn’t post $250k bond on the child *advertiser censored* charge.

That's possible. But what might argue against it is that they weren't there very long to see if anyone came, they spent much of the time while circling the forearms store with no view of the church, and there was apparently a LONNNNGGG gap of time between that relatively quick lap around the firearms store and the time of the break-in at the church.

One other BIG reason to doubt the Altima was perp's car was that there's really good likelihood the perp drove a dark SUV. While the video down the street hours before gets everyone's attention, the dark SUV (unfortunately not on video) seen leaving the church parking lot at 4:30 a.m. offers a perfect fit as to time and location.

One other BIG reason to doubt the Altima was perp's car was that there's really good likelihood the perp drove a dark SUV. While the video down the street hours before gets everyone's attention, the dark SUV (unfortunately not on video) seen leaving the church parking lot at 4:30 a.m. offers a perfect fit as to time and location.
Not sure why you think the dark SUV is a really good likelihood. The SUV was a tip from a passerby who could tell police basically nothing else. Who knows if he got his time mixed up, or the days or the locations or whatnot. Eyewitness testimony is the most unreliable form of testimony.

Meanwhile, the Altima left SWFA at 2:04 and police said cameras in the church somehow activated at 2:23. That’s 19 mins later. So now you have a car turning off its headlights before it turns into a closed store at 2 in the morning, then slowly circling the entire perimeter of the store while turning headlights on and off several more times, then just sitting there for a few mins before leaving, and something happens that triggers church cameras 19 mins later.

Somehow that seems more compelling than one guy driving down the highway at 75 mph calling in a tip about something he thought he saw.

"Vehicle seen leaving church parking lot right at the very time perp would have been fleeing"
EASILY TRUMPS
"Vehicle making a brief lap around a different place down the road several hours before the attack and then driving on"
IMO

Last edited:
bbm

I followed this case from the beginning, and I don't recall reading about factual errors in the LE warrants. But I surely could have missed that detail. Do you have a link for the bolded statement?

Way back then, we had quite a bit of discussion, iirc, about what the "SW corner of the interior" meant--either right inside the doors between the porte-cochere (where Missy parked) and the main hallway, or inside the auditorium/sanctuary area.

Many churches have the same type of design--an interior squarish auditorium/sanctuary area, with a hallway on all four sides, and rooms (offices, kitchen, classrooms, etc.) on the outer sides of the hallways. In Creekside's case, the middle of the westerly hallway was the main entrance.

I probably have maps and drawings and information from this case stored on a hard drive; I haven't looked at any of it in a long time.

My theory is the perp is a female, closer in relationship to Missy than most people think, who felt her spouse or significant other was too supportive and/or friendly with Missy, actual or perceived. The bonus for her in killing Missy was also taking care of a problem for Missy's husband, whether that problem was actual or just perceived as such by the perp. IMO

I think the perp did lie in wait for Missy, knew about what time Missy would show up to set up for her class, and blindsided her once she was in the building. She knew a lot about Missy's schedule, and the schedule of other family members, because of her close relationship with the family. IMO

Of course, the theory is all my supposition and opinion, based on the crime, and a few comments, thoughts, and some information shared by other posters in the early threads. Which seems so very long ago. I hope Missy will have justice someday.
You and I seem to be on the same page with the theory of this crime. When my husband (who does not follow any crimes at all) saw the clip on television when this first happened, he immediately commented that he felt the perpetrator was a woman. I had said nothing about the crime to him. I still think to this day that it was a woman. When the crime first happened, I researched "the" female that I suspected, and there seemed to be way too many "coincidences" that day for it not to be a strong possibility.

You and I seem to be on the same page with the theory of this crime. When my husband (who does not follow any crimes at all) saw the clip on television when this first happened, he immediately commented that he felt the perpetrator was a woman. I had said nothing about the crime to him. I still think to this day that it was a woman. When the crime first happened, I researched "the" female that I suspected, and there seemed to be way too many "coincidences" that day for it not to be a strong possibility.

I watched the video once and thought female. Then asked my husband to watch without saying my opinion and he said female too. It really seems like the killer is a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper