TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems quite extreme for the SP to cover themselves to this extent if their intent was purely burglary.
Not necessarily extreme at all. Particularly if you consider the possibility of SWFA being the original target. That store has around 150 cameras. It would be essential that the perp hide as many identifying features as possible in that environment, wouldn’t you agree? It’s also possible that the killer didn’t have to go to extraordinary lengths to put this outfit together. Maybe they had access to most of it through a spouse or roommate.

Snipped for focus, and BBM. Regarding turning off the lights, it’s been suggested that cutting the lights would make it easier for the driver to see into the interior of the building.

Then regarding the choice to park under the lamp post, I read a comment on Stephanie Harlowe’s YouTube podcast about the case; the comment suggested that parking under a lamp post is EXACTLY what a criminal might do. What he said was, “I knew a [censored] who used to boost from stores who told me that thing about parking directly under the light being the best spot to avoid cameras.” I thought that was kind of interesting.
That is super interesting! I never would guess that being in the light would make you less visible on camera.

But I don't think it is definitive info in that I, as a law-abiding citizen, would also park under the light in that lot, even if I were just biding the time on a dark and rainy night.

jmo

Not necessarily extreme at all. Particularly if you consider the possibility of SWFA being the original target. That store has around 150 cameras. It would be essential that the perp hide as many identifying features as possible in that environment, wouldn’t you agree? It’s also possible that the killer didn’t have to go to extraordinary lengths to put this outfit together. Maybe they had access to most of it through a spouse or roommate.
What is extreme to me with that outfit for committing a crime is that it is so cumbersome. It doesn't seem like an outfit of choice if you had to hurry away. Does that mean the perp was very confident s/he wouldn't have to rush or run to make an escape?

jmo

W
What is extreme to me with that outfit for committing a crime is that it is so cumbersome. It doesn't seem like an outfit of choice if you had to hurry away. Does that mean the perp was very confident s/he wouldn't have to rush or run to make an escape?

jmo
Is it really that cumbersome? They have on a shirt and a pair of pants and boots. The only “extras” are the helmet and balaclava (I don’t think either are going to slow you down unless the helmet is loose and impairs your vision), the tactical vest which is basically a sleeveless jacket with a number of little pockets, and then possibly pads such as knee pads or shin guards. The only thing I see there that might slow them down a bit might be the pads. Remember, outfits like this are worn by LE and they have to chase people in them, so..

W

Is it really that cumbersome? They have on a shirt and a pair of pants and boots. The only “extras” are the helmet and balaclava (I don’t think either are going to slow you down unless the helmet is loose and impairs your vision), the tactical vest which is basically a sleeveless jacket with a number of little pockets, and then possibly pads such as knee pads or shin guards. The only thing I see there that might slow them down a bit might be the pads. Remember, outfits like this are worn by LE and they have to chase people in them, so..
W

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether or not the outfit is suitable for speed and agility. To me the disguise looks bulky and with impeded line of vision.

I concede SP did escape without being caught! So, the outfit obviously didn't get in the way. Unfortunately.

jmo

That is super interesting! I never would guess that being in the light would make you less visible on camera.

But I don't think it is definitive info in that I, as a law-abiding citizen, would also park under the light in that lot, even if I were just biding the time on a dark and rainy night.

jmo
Windshields are reflective. Shining a bright light down onto a windshield does not illuminate the interior. It bounces off. The person would need to turn on the interior lights to be seen better. (Obviously if a cop were standing by your window and held a flashlight right up to it, there would be some illumination).

No, it isn’t definitive. But it challenges the assumptions so many of us make about aspects of the case.

Last edited:

Assuming that the gun store was the original target then yes it doesn't seem as extreme. If that was the case, does this suggest some pre-planning? Is it possible that their original plan was always to break into the SWFA store or were they just casing the area for potential targets and just happened to pick the SWFA store? Would you say the outfit makes more sense in a pre-planned scenario?

Also, it looks like a GPS may have been used in the vehicle based on the CCTV images but I don't think this would be trackable as it doesn't transmit any signals.

Assuming that the gun store was the original target then yes it doesn't seem as extreme. If that was the case, does this suggest some pre-planning? Is it possible that their original plan was always to break into the SWFA store or were they just casing the area for potential targets and just happened to pick the SWFA store? Would you say the outfit makes more sense in a pre-planned scenario?

Also, it looks like a GPS may have been used in the vehicle based on the CCTV images but I don't think this would be trackable as it doesn't transmit any signals.
I would say the outfit does indicate that they’re doing more than just casing. I don’t think you’d take the risk of either wearing or carrying such an outfit with you (awkward if stopped by a cop) unless you thought you’d need it that night.

Possibly the perp could have been communicating with others while parked, discussing whether it was a good target and how many accomplices might be needed. If such communication occurred, you’d think the geofence warrant in 2019 would have picked that up.

Thank you SB.

I have seen this image before. IMO the individual is wearing a full balaclava including nose cover as seen here in this frame. You can clearly see the eye openings (What looks like a mouth is most likely just a reflection, we cannot see the full face of the SP)

(Enlarged, Toning, Filter)
View attachment 291395
Click to enlarge

It is very interesting IMO, that the individual is wearing

1. A light/balaclava
2. An additional face covering/ or helmet with chin/ jaw protection
3. Safety glasses or real glasses plus helmet visor (see image below)

Here is a frame I have been working on over the weekend. I am checking out some other frames with different angles as well.

In general the toning is adjusted after enlarging the image. I focused mainly on the head area, while running several programs, that are able to recognized noise and artifacts. Nothing is added, nothing is omitted.

Here is the image, they are either wearing real glasses plus visor or safety kind of glasses plus visor:

View attachment 291394
Click to enlarge

ALL IMO

-Nin
Ok. Are you saying that the balaclava was NOT white?

Also police have said they believe SP left the same way he/she came. This could be misleading because we don't really know where SP came from before going to the area where he/she shot MB.

It would seem to me that there should be video of SP escaping if they mean SP went down the 2 hallways and through the door which he /she came through originally at the start of the video.

I can't help but think there is more video that would be helpful in discerning SP.

I would say the outfit does indicate that they’re doing more than just casing. I don’t think you’d take the risk of either wearing or carrying such an outfit with you (awkward if stopped by a cop) unless you thought you’d need it that night.

Possibly the perp could have been communicating with others while parked, discussing whether it was a good target and how many accomplices might be needed. If such communication occurred, you’d think the geofence warrant in 2019 would have picked that up.
I agree, but burner phones would definitely cause a problem in identifying unknown individuals. JMO

Ok. Are you saying that the balaclava was NOT white?

Also police have said they believe SP left the same way he/she came. This could be misleading because we don't really know where SP came from before going to the area where he/she shot MB.

It would seem to me that there should be video of SP escaping if they mean SP went down the 2 hallways and through the door which he /she came through originally at the start of the video.

I can't help but think there is more video that would be helpful in discerning SP.
I’ve been of the opinion SP left via the NE doors. Where the glass was broke out of them.

That does not fit the facts that are known to LE. He left via the kitchen door.
I don’t know that we can be unequivocal on that. The only time police talked about it was in the presser on the day of. Spann said the killer left “presumably” the same way he came in. Spann also said that he had not seen the video yet and had only seen some still frames. So it was awfully early and I take what police said that day with a grain of salt compared to what they said later, after the dust settled. Not that they ever really spoke about the exit point itself again, but you know what I mean.

My speculation has been that the killer was moving too fast on their exit path for the cameras to catch up. So it’s possible that police have time stamped video around 4:20 to 4:25 of empty hallway, a door swinging shut, etc. I guess it’s also possible that the killer was leaving blood in their wake which might allow police to determine their exact exit path; maybe Spann just didn’t know about that yet when he spoke.

We know that the NE doors were busted. But we don’t know if they were broken out or broken in.

I’ve been of the opinion SP left via the NE doors. Where the glass was broke out of them.

SP would take the easiest and quickest exit. If we assume the attack took place off camera near the Cubby Corner in the Western hallway, then he'd need to hustle to an exit. I just don't think he'd walk/run that far to reach the NE doors.

LE told us: after the crime is committed that he's seen walking down the hall, correct, and leaves the way he entered? SP entered the kitchen via the exterior door after knocking out the glass pane and reaching inside to open the door.

Thank you SB.

I have seen this image before. IMO the individual is wearing a full balaclava including nose cover as seen here in this frame. You can clearly see the eye openings (What looks like a mouth is most likely just a reflection, we cannot see the full face of the SP)

(Enlarged, Toning, Filter)
View attachment 291395
Click to enlarge

It is very interesting IMO, that the individual is wearing

1. A light/balaclava
2. An additional face covering/ or helmet with chin/ jaw protection
3. Safety glasses or real glasses plus helmet visor (see image below)

Here is a frame I have been working on over the weekend. I am checking out some other frames with different angles as well.

In general the toning is adjusted after enlarging the image. I focused mainly on the head area, while running several programs, that are able to recognized noise and artifacts. Nothing is added, nothing is omitted.

Here is the image, they are either wearing real glasses plus visor or safety kind of glasses plus visor:

View attachment 291394
Click to enlarge

ALL IMO

-Nin
That is an amazing photo Nin, never seen the glasses before and all that detail ...... wow!
PS: I only heard about this case from watching Chris McDonough on The Interview Room and am now fascinated with it.

I don’t know that we can be unequivocal on that. The only time police talked about it was in the presser on the day of. Spann said the killer left “presumably” the same way he came in. Spann also said that he had not seen the video yet and had only seen some still frames. So it was awfully early and I take what police said that day with a grain of salt compared to what they said later, after the dust settled. Not that they ever really spoke about the exit point itself again, but you know what I mean.

My speculation has been that the killer was moving too fast on their exit path for the cameras to catch up. So it’s possible that police have time stamped video around 4:20 to 4:25 of empty hallway, a door swinging shut, etc. I guess it’s also possible that the killer was leaving blood in their wake which might allow police to determine their exact exit path; maybe Spann just didn’t know about that yet when he spoke.

We know that the NE doors were busted. But we don’t know if they were broken out or broken in.

Respectfully, I don't see the above as really being a rational approach.

Exiting via the NE would have required a LONNNNNGGGGG trip down either the e-side hall or the n-side hall, walking straight into the direct view of a cam (or two) that we know for a fact was working.

The idea that the cam wouldn't be able to see the perp if moving quickly? Just don't buy it. And doubly so, given the length of time that they would have been in view and moving.

I think LE had to "assume" (and said as much) he went out the kitchen door because they see him go toward that way but don't have a cam covering the kitchen door or its vicinity itself.

In addition, why would perp in a hurry opt to exit at a place where it requires taking the time to break through glass, with 2 layers to get through? And a place they hadn't already breached to know it was easy to traverse? And how would an exit requiring glass breakage not be even slower of a process to capture on cam (had it happened)? Besides, the setup on those NE doors looks similar or identical to the SW doors (and other 2 corners as well), ie conducive to allowing easy exit but challenging entry.

So from what LE said, and given the rest of what we know, the NE as an exit is neither what they said nor does it add up. And there's no real reason to think it likely.

FWIW, while it doesn't tell us why they said what they did at the time, I seriously doubt LE could have any questions today about the exit point, even if we haven't subsequently been given any definitive statement on that point.

Last edited:
Snipped for focus, and BBM. Regarding turning off the lights, it’s been suggested that cutting the lights would make it easier for the driver to see into the interior of the building.

Then regarding the choice to park under the lamp post, I read a comment on Stephanie Harlowe’s YouTube podcast about the case; the comment suggested that parking under a lamp post is EXACTLY what a criminal might do. What he said was, “I knew a [censored] who used to boost from stores who told me that thing about parking directly under the light being the best spot to avoid cameras.” I thought that was kind of interesting.
That is interesting. Add to that, could they be waiting to see if that light in the window goes off, he's also in a perfect spot to watch up there.

Respectfully, I don't see the above as really being a rational approach.

Exiting via the NE would have required a LONNNNNGGGGG trip down either the e-side hall or the n-side hall, walking straight into the direct view of a cam (or two) that we know for a fact was working.

The idea that the cam wouldn't be able to see the perp if moving quickly? Just don't buy it. And doubly so, given the length of time that they would have been in view and moving.

I think LE had to "assume" (and said as much) he went out the kitchen door because they see him go toward that way but don't have a cam covering the kitchen door or its vicinity itself.

In addition, why would perp in a hurry opt to exit at a place where it requires taking the time to break through glass, with 2 layers to get through? And a place they hadn't already breached to know it was easy to traverse? And how would an exit requiring glass breakage not be even slower of a process to capture on cam (had it happened)? Besides, the setup on those NE doors looks similar or identical to the SW doors (and other 2 corners as well), ie conducive to allowing easy exit but challenging entry.

So from what LE said, and given the rest of what we know, the NE as an exit is neither what they said nor does it add up. And there's no real reason to think it likely.

FWIW, while it doesn't tell us why they said what they did at the time, I seriously doubt LE could have any questions today about the exit point, even if we haven't subsequently been given any definitive statement on that point.
We’ve seen how those cameras operate. Plus police told us there were issues with them shutting off prematurely/not activating soon enough. If the NW corner camera coverage is today the way it was then, I’ve only been able to identify ONE camera, and it points East. So it wouldn’t be unlikely at all for the killer to run North, turn East, and move beyond that camera’s operation. Keep in mind, too, that “activation” and “recording” are two separate functions.

Also, the NE could have been an exit point that the killer had already broken through prior to the murder. In other words, breaking and exiting weren’t necessarily done consecutively.

I think it’s possible that if the killer DID leave through a different door than they entered, that could be exactly the kind of detail that police might want to guard as “guilty evidence” that only the killer would know. Spann might have even thrown in that term “presumably” deliberately. But I think the truth comes down to where the killer parked. They would want to exit post-murder at a point that would put them closest to their vehicle, I believe.

We’ve seen how those cameras operate. Plus police told us there were issues with them shutting off prematurely/not activating soon enough. If the NW corner camera coverage is today the way it was then, I’ve only been able to identify ONE camera, and it points East. So it wouldn’t be unlikely at all for the killer to run North, turn East, and move beyond that camera’s operation. Keep in mind, too, that “activation” and “recording” are two separate functions.

Also, the NE could have been an exit point that the killer had already broken through prior to the murder. In other words, breaking and exiting weren’t necessarily done consecutively.

I think it’s possible that if the killer DID leave through a different door than they entered, that could be exactly the kind of detail that police might want to guard as “guilty evidence” that only the killer would know. Spann might have even thrown in that term “presumably” deliberately. But I think the truth comes down to where the killer parked. They would want to exit post-murder at a point that would put them closest to their vehicle, I believe.

Oddly enough, I'd thought SP broke the NE doors, then drove away to be sure a silent alarm didn't notify the police.

In that theory then, SP returns to the Church knowing full well the NE doors are breached but spends time breaking into the outer metal door that just so happens to open into the kitchen. Thus, either way the NE doors are busted, he's now created two distinct exit points for himself.

LE told us SP stayed in the kitchen area for a while before entering the hallway. It had been raining hard, and there's no overhang above that exterior door, so maybe SP went inside, drip dried, checked their outfit, loaded their firearm and prepared for the interior deeds to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy