TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is SP wearing a GoPro when we see SP in the S Hallway heading W toward the sanctuary?

In the very beginning, didn't LEO tell us that the crime may have been recorded by SP?
The reference to recording was in an early warrant and it confused people including the media. Police were using some boilerplate language and they were not saying that there was any reason to think there was a recording. In fact, they specifically said later that they have no reason to believe that the killer recorded the murder.

It’s also telling that in the BWH warrant where police name off some gear that they’re looking for, they mention helmet-mounted lighting but do not say anything about a GoPro.

No, after that. You can see a car coming towards Brandon’s on the road slowly after the pickup pulls in and pulls onto the neighbors it super quick, the camera switches from the wide view to straight on Brandon.
Is there a reason you are interested in that specific car?

If they wanted to not have the murder on camera, then they could have killed her some other place that doesn’t even have cameras. They’re going to shoot her anyway, so shoot her thru her car door at an intersection. Or pull just off the highway into the church driveway and put the hood up. Missy pulls in, stops to see about the stranded motorist, and they shoot her. There is no reason to involve the church building in this. This perp is not as devious or cunning as you think. They’re not pussyfooting around calculating dead spots of cameras. They’re not trying to lure a person all the way from one of the building to another just so they can be off camera. Nor are they worried about being uncovered in a scuffle, because they’re in tactical gear and they have a gun.

just my opinion

I noticed on a wider video that it appeared after SP hammered the window (across from Rm 10 ) he appeared to reach inside to unlock the door?! That's the first time I've seen that. All the others we've only seen him open the doors and go inside except for the auditorium where he appeared to crack the glass. Did he try to open that door before he cracked the glass? No.
Why?

If he was going about his systematic search, would he have entered the auditorium, come back out and continued on the inner doors in the west hallway? Or would he have bothered knowing those doors opened up to the auditorium?

Can you reach the Coffee Grounds from the inside of the auditorium? Seems he would check that for cash.

I need to check, but is there glass on the main west doors entering into the auditorium? If so, there's no way he could have missed MB's headlights had he been inside.

Comments inline below in bold.

I noticed on a wider video that it appeared after SP hammered the window (across from Rm 10 ) he appeared to reach inside to unlock the door?! That's the first time I've seen that. All the others we've only seen him open the doors and go inside except for the auditorium where he appeared to crack the glass. Did he try to open that door before he cracked the glass? No.
Why? Why do you think he didn’t try to open the door before hammering the glass? We have him coming out of room 10 and then we have an edit to a more zoomed in shot. It’s possible that a second or two of footage got skipped there. And you really can’t see exactly what is going on off the right edge of the frame anyway. But it doesn’t seem reasonable that he would not have tried the door before breaking the glass. So I believe he did try the door.

If he was going about his systematic search, would he have entered the auditorium, come back out and continued on the inner doors in the west hallway? Or would he have bothered knowing those doors opened up to the auditorium? I wouldn’t think so. Once in the auditorium, he’s probably going to walk around the perimeter of that inner space. He might check out the stage area and the sound board.

Can you reach the Coffee Grounds from the inside of the auditorium? Seems he would check that for cash. No, there is a regular door beside the louvered door. That’s how you access it.

I need to check, but is there glass on the main west doors entering into the auditorium? If so, there's no way he could have missed MB's headlights had he been inside. No, the auditorium doors are solid, with no glass.

Last edited:
I think its when SP enters the worship center, they do this weird hand gesture. I cannot see anything in their hands but I thought maybe if the headlamp they were wearing was one that supported hand gesture activations. Something like the one in the below video:

Interesting about those headlamps, but what I see is they have the headlamp on when walking down the hallway, and just before entering the worship centre they turn their head slightly towards the camera so the lamp can be clearly seen in the dark of the alcove.

If they stuck to the pattern, IMO they would have emerged from the auditorium after searching its perimeter, and then gone around the corner and north to the coffee place and beyond on the inner corrider wall.

It occurs to me, I bet this is the system security guards use when doing their rounds of their workplace in the middle of the night, perhaps the perp had experience working as a security guard.

One thing that puzzles me about the idea that this person was just fooling/thieving is, they have invested in a costume that could be used for multiple break-ins of this sort. Burglars are known for serial break-ins, they rarely just do it once. It just seems so improbable that during their apparently first attempt at break-in/vandalizing, a woman would happen to show up at 4:30 am.

I’ll go ahead and share what I learned this week about the cameras. As it turns out, there were four cameras in total in the interior of the church. Obviously we know there were two cameras at the Southwest and two cameras at the Northeast. That’s four cameras. So there were no cameras at all at the north west or the Southeast.

This tracks with the way the footage was released to us, because it never really made a lot of sense for the footage to skip from the kitchen area all the way around to the Southwest camera. And then there was another gap at that other corner. What this means is that Police really don’t have much unreleased interior footage at all.

if you’re an advocate for a targeted murder, you could certainly interpret it as the suspect luring Missy to an area with no camera. Or if you’re on team untargeted, Maybe SP just happened to be at that end of the building when Missy came in. I’m not sure what benefit it would’ve been to SP to go to the trouble of making the murder be off camera. What does it matter? It’s not like the fact that he murdered Missy is going to be a secret when other people show up. He’s completely covered from head to toe and has already been on camera.
It's the difference between targeted murder = death penalty; while interrupted nervous burglar commits murder during other felony could = Life or LWOP. If this is targeted, SP cannot know for a fact how it will go down, so he doesn't want the murder itself on film. Also the forensic podiatrist remarked that MB fought hard, so it may be that SP's gun was a last resort when bludgeoning with tools wasn't working, i.e. faux burglary gone bad.

Thanks! That is a very important clarification that there were no cameras at the NW and SE.

No camera in the SE corner, but I would bet there is broken glass or some other little things like beads, pieces of plastic, some clutter on the floor back there, too. I do not believe SP was meandering around. I do believe everything SP did was purposeful.

Remember the first movie Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise. He goes to the safe house apartment where he uses his handkerchief to unscrew a hot lightbulb in the hallway outside the door. Then he steps on it, and uses the hanky to scatter the broken glass on the landing. Why? Two reasons: dimmer light, and so anyone approaching will make crunching noises on the glass that Cruise will hear.

IMO As shown on your floor plan and seen on film, SP left broken glass in multiple places. This is just what we know about, there could be more, e.g., you have now disclosed about the broken glass display case in the far NW main hallway which was unknown when you made the floorplan. So there are several critical positions of known broken glass left on the hard floors by SP. I don't think it is mere vandalism. IMO SP has two purposes: to hear approaching or running away feet crunching on the glass, and if it is a targeted murder and MB happens to run in any hallway and to most exits, she might slip and fall on the glass. I wonder if MB was chased or did slip or fall on broken glass or baubles.

This makes sense for why SP exits room 10 to break glass on door 9 as shown on camera - to scatter glass on the floor there. Why? Because room 10 has at least two doors and room 9 connects to the auditorium, and this point in the back hallway is near the intersection to the kitchen hallway and NE exit, places for MB to run away and to hide. I have mentioned before that IMO SP is not checking every door for locked or open, then entering the unlocked looking for items to steal, but rather SP is searching for room-to-room connecting inside doors either for MB to escape or for SP to escape, or to hide. SP was prepared for hunting down MB if the first strike failed.

IMO everything is pointing increasingly to MB was targeted. Your opinion that MB was attacked in the NW corner makes sense because then she was lured far away from her truck. MB felt very safe leaving her purse, keys, phone, loaded gun and the truck itself behind. SP may have called her by name, or called out for "Help! I need help!". Whatever MB seemed to hear as reported by the forensic podiatrist, IMO it was not frightening or she would have retreated to the truck. MB was not an LEO or military with public responsibility, nor was she a man trying to be a hero. She was a mom, wife, teacher and fitness instructor, with no LEO training, and a small woman, so like most women, she would not move forward toward perceived danger to herself.

All JMO and some thoughts

comments in line in bold
It's the difference between targeted murder = death penalty; while interrupted nervous burglar commits murder during other felony could = Life or LWOP.

Can you cite one example of when a criminal has stopped in the middle of a crime and dwells upon the statutory implications of what he is about to do or not do?

If this is targeted, SP cannot know for a fact how it will go down, so he doesn't want the murder itself on film.

What does it matter? The discovery of the body with a bullet wound and the existing surveillance footage will be enough. If the killer is caught, there is no difference in consequences whether they targeted Missy or whether they were truly burglarizing the place. In Texas the death penalty is applicable to murder that occurs during a burglary.

Also the forensic podiatrist remarked that MB fought hard,

Where did he say that?
so it may be that SP's gun was a last resort when bludgeoning with tools wasn't working, i.e. faux burglary gone bad.

Thanks! That is a very important clarification that there were no cameras at the NW and SE.

No camera in the SE corner, but I would bet there is broken glass or some other little things like beads, pieces of plastic, some clutter on the floor back there, too. I do not believe SP was meandering around. I do believe everything SP did was purposeful.

Remember the first movie Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise. He goes to the safe house apartment where he uses his handkerchief to unscrew a hot lightbulb in the hallway outside the door. Then he steps on it, and uses the hanky to scatter the broken glass on the landing. Why? Two reasons: dimmer light, and so anyone approaching will make crunching noises on the glass that Cruise will hear.

Respectfully, this is not Tom Cruise and this killer is not super intelligent. Your thoughts are imaginative, but is this the simplest explanation?

IMO As shown on your floor plan and seen on film, SP left broken glass in multiple places. This is just what we know about, there could be more, e.g., you have now disclosed about the broken glass display case in the far NW main hallway which was unknown when you made the floorplan. So there are several critical positions of known broken glass left on the hard floors by SP. I don't think it is mere vandalism. IMO SP has two purposes: to hear approaching or running away feet crunching on the glass, and if it is a targeted murder and MB happens to run in any hallway and to most exits, she might slip and fall on the glass. I wonder if MB was chased or did slip or fall on broken glass or baubles.

This makes sense for why SP exits room 10 to break glass on door 9 as shown on camera - to scatter glass on the floor there. Why? Because room 10 has at least two doors and room 9 connects to the auditorium, and this point in the back hallway is near the intersection to the kitchen hallway and NE exit, places for MB to run away and to hide. I have mentioned before that IMO SP is not checking every door for locked or open, then entering the unlocked looking for items to steal, but rather SP is searching for room-to-room connecting inside doors either for MB to escape or for SP to escape, or to hide. SP was prepared for hunting down MB if the first strike failed.

IMO everything is pointing increasingly to MB was targeted. Your opinion that MB was attacked in the NW corner makes sense because then she was lured far away from her truck. MB felt very safe leaving her purse, keys, phone, loaded gun and the truck itself behind. SP may have called her by name, or called out for "Help! I need help!". Whatever MB seemed to hear as reported by the forensic podiatrist, IMO it was not frightening or she would have retreated to the truck. MB was not an LEO or military with public responsibility, nor was she a man trying to be a hero. She was a mom, wife, teacher and fitness instructor, with no LEO training, and a small woman, so like most women, she would not move forward toward perceived danger to herself.

All JMO and some thoughts

There were 2 cameras at the NE? One was directed down the north hallway,
and the other? Was that the camera that caught SP coming out of Rm 10?
Did that camera track the east hallway? We didn't see much of that hallway at all.

I'm wondering why, after coming out of 10, he started on the doorway across the hall from 10 and they only showed a bit of it. That camera should have caught SP heading (toward) N in the east hallway and then going away to the South in the east hallway.

We know he headed South in the East hallway and turned the corner into the South hallway and headed west still clutching that silly tray. I'm wondering why he didn't go west in the north hallway after coming out of Room 10 and try to go into the auditorium that way. But he doubled back and entered (or so we believe) the auditorium there. Strange.

1) Did the camera facing south in the NE corner capture him other than coming out of Rm 10? And if not, why?
If that was a little white plastic tray in his hand, SP may have used it to collect glass fragments to spread elsewhere like where there were solid doors and no glass tables, windows, display cases to break. The oblong shape and straight edge would be helpful to scrape along the floor?
While I am thinking about broken glass all over, I am reminded of NIN's clarifying image of SP that shows a clear plastic visor or glasses or work goggles, or some combo. It makes sense to use eye protection if you intend to shatter glass. *slaps head, duh*

NIN's post in thread#45
TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

2e7be373-189f-4352-95ba-fe5f05cfa632-jpeg.291394

Last edited:
Random Questions:
Thanks to @NIN’s enhanced photos of the car driving around the Sporting Goods Store parking lot, it seems very likely there were 2 SP’s involved.
Do we think there were 2 SP in the church?
We haven’t talked about how SP escaped undetected in a long while. Now that @Gumshoe Stories has clarified the layout and path of SP, how do we think he/she/they escaped undetected?
Also, does anyone have any input on why the FBI is now specifically involved? Could it involve inter-state jurisdiction, advanced capability to request and analyze electronic data?
I have been following this case from the beginning. ALL JMO

Answers in line below in bold.
...RSBM for focus...
SP was systematic and methodical. They exited room 8 (keep in mind how close room 8 is to rooms 9 and 10), then proceeded in a counterclockwise fashion to check each outward-facing room. So they were always turning right out of a room and going to the next one. After going to room 10, they had completed the circuit of those outward-facing rooms. To go west in the north hallway would be to go back over covered ground and would leave unexplored the inward-facing rooms of the east hallway. So being systematic and methodical, SP started on the inward-facing rooms beginning with room 9 the storage room. After 9, SP would have gone south to the one remaining room on that hallway, room 14. Then turned right and proceeded up the south hallway to the only unexplored space that was left - the auditorium.
^That makes so much sense. Thank you for explaining that. For me, SP is methodical, organized, even sophisticated or professional.

Well, it works the other way in that it is the phone that knows about the WiFi since the WiFi broadcasts its presence and the WiFi won't know about the device (e.g. phone) until it attempts a connection. But the database on your phone does have all the WiFi devices it has been near and that information is sent (among certain other information on your phone) back to the companies so it can be sold to advertisers. If you ever looked at data usage on your phone and noticed data sent while you were sleeping, for example, that is when data like this is sent.

Consequently, it is doubtful that the router in the church, if there was one, would have anything of use unless somehow a phone connected to it.

I don’t believe your phone stores a database of every wifi it has ever been near. Only the ones it has connected to to remember for later. Keeping a database of every wifi your phone has been near would require a lot of storage space over time.

Being seen on camera in gear and walking around is one thing. Murdering someone on camera is another! What if there is a scuffle? What if the headgear is ripped off? The way you fight is going to be a lot more telling than the way someone saunters around. I 1 million percent think they would make efforts to not have the murder on camera!!
I'm a little behind, but I just posted the same sentiment in a different way - ITAWY. IMO it shows more planning by SP and a level of knowledge of SP to think ahead to the potential legal case if caught.

comments in line in bold
I used the example from a movie that most people have seen or can view because this is a public board with people from a variety of backgrounds. When I use a term like "diversionary tactics" I did not acquire that language from "watching too much television". And No, my comments are not merely imaginative, they are my thoughts and opinions.

I do not believe SP stopped during the crime to consider legal ramifications. I believe SP made those considerations as part of extensive planning of this crime.

DP qualification does not = a return of DP. Yes, criminals do consider these things.

Last edited:
Random Questions:
Thanks to @NIN’s enhanced photos of the car driving around the Sporting Goods Store parking lot, it seems very likely there were 2 SP’s involved.
Do we think there were 2 SP in the church?
We haven’t talked about how SP escaped undetected in a long while. Now that @Gumshoe Stories has clarified the layout and path of SP, how do we think he/she/they escaped undetected?
Also, does anyone have any input on why the FBI is now specifically involved? Could it involve inter-state jurisdiction, advanced capability to request and analyze electronic data?
I have been following this case from the beginning. ALL JMO

"photos of the car driving around the Sporting Goods Store parking lot... very likely there were 2 SP’s involved"..... SWFA is not the same place as CCOC, and 2:00 am is not the same as 3:45 am. Just saying.

"Do we think there were 2 SP in the church?".... On camera? Definitely not. In the church but not on camera? Unlikely, as that would put someone else hanging out in the kitchen for no real reason.

"how SP escaped undetected"...Not hard to envision before, and even easier to see if there were no cams in the NW corner. After the crime, they simply go back in the kitchen and out the door to the outside.

"why the FBI is now specifically involved" ...FBI has been involved all along, from day one or close to it. Small town, needing expertise, so they reached out for help.

If they wanted to not have the murder on camera, then they could have killed her some other place that doesn’t even have cameras. They’re going to shoot her anyway, so shoot her thru her car door at an intersection. Or pull just off the highway into the church driveway and put the hood up. Missy pulls in, stops to see about the stranded motorist, and they shoot her. There is no reason to involve the church building in this. This perp is not as devious or cunning as you think. They’re not pussyfooting around calculating dead spots of cameras. They’re not trying to lure a person all the way from one of the building to another just so they can be off camera. Nor are they worried about being uncovered in a scuffle, because they’re in tactical gear and they have a gun.

just my opinion
There are cameras everywhere today. Intersections may have multiple cameras. Passengers in cars film out the window. Even cars and trucks have their own cameras that film everything. JMO the church had some of the least cameras and MB was truly alone. If SP was in the Altima, maybe the interest was assessing if the outdoor cameras could see the CCOC or not. Maybe committing the murder inside the CCOC was Plan B or Plan F. It's worked for 5 long years IMO.

Sandy, I think it's a step too far to think that perp had any clue as to what cams CCOC had, what they saw, and whether they were working.

And as for the Altima, its movements are actually more consistent with someone casing SWFA and trying to get some idea of its layout and access points at night. They don't appear to have any relevance to CCOC. From the vantage point of the Altima, its occupants really would have had no idea of what SWFA cams were or weren't seeing.

I don’t believe your phone stores a database of every wifi it has ever been near. Only the ones it has connected to to remember for later. Keeping a database of every wifi your phone has been near would require a lot of storage space over time.
From the standpoint of the iPhone it has a database on it that stores locations - the name of this database, and whether it was encrypted or not - has changed over time. Within that database are various tables. One of them is WifiLocations. This stores every Wifi device your phone had ever encountered. Wifi devices broadcast their presence. Another table is called WifiLocationsHarvest and that table stores only the Wifi devices that your phone actually connected to. Similarly a table called CellLocations will reveal all the towers (actually towers have one or more transceivers or antennas on them but I am simplifying) that your phone had come across. Cell towers broadcast their presence. And a table called CellLocationsHarvest will reveal the towers your phone actually connected to. The information from these tables are periodically sent to Apple and/or your provider.

Android devices have a similar database and tables. And, likewise, the data within are periodically sent to Google and//or your provider.

I looked back at an old iPhone backup that I had that covered a three year period of time and the Locations database was only 2.2 MB and had just over 11,500 Wifi devices listed and just under 3000 cell tower transceivers in it that the phone had encountered. With multi-GB capacity of a typical phone (even 5 to 6 years ago) that space usage is insignificant.

This is the whole point of a Geofence warrant. If such data did not exist there would be no point in asking Google or AT&T for it.

Entirely random thought. What if we could forward the number plate image to the record holder for eyesight/vision in the Guinesss Book of Records, and there is one, to look at the mystery car plate ......... and then using the additional enhancement features .... wonder how/if that would be achievable? That number/State is so close to being entirely visible, it's driving me nuts. I'm still not convinced it says Texas ..... will keep looking.

@Gumshoe Stories
Is leaving the doors opened another part of systematic approach? Meaning,
he doesn't care?

The thing that gives me pause about this systematic approach thing is....he took his time, like there was nothing else better he had to do. I've read that burglars like to get in and out fast.

Often times church burglars will take sound equipment or musical instruments. This church was obviously set up for that scenario.
If SP was a burglar, especially a church burglar, he would have known that. And as far as we know, he didn't have help. Not sure why SP would have continued on after finding no money in the office?

And about MB's body...if she died quickly after entering, (within 2 minutes as reported) she must have been shot first. If reporting is correct, why did SP feel the need to hit and stab her around the face and chest?

There is something very odd about the surprised burglar scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025