TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that went through my mind as far as being a hitman goes is that hitmen generally get paid well. Money up front, the balance paid after the hit. Two into the head and he's on his way home. With a pile of money in his pocket and the promise of more coming, why is SP rummaging around and vandalizing like a juvenile delinquent waiting for his grandma to pick him up from his class Halloween party? Is that what hitmen do? Wear an outfit that makes them the most noticeable in a crowd? An idiotic choice that (providentially for SP) worked out in his favor. What's the motivation for that? Why not a ski mask and a pair of Adidas?
A police uniform that screams LOOK AT ME? Why THAT choice?

I thought seriously about stalking. To you and I, Missy went about her life as routinely as any of us. The kids were taken here or there, school activities, household activities, shopping, get togethers with family and friends, social media conversations, and the fitness program. Really, the only dependable, documented, regimented, repetitious behavior that had a time stamp were the morning workouts and her insistence they would go on rain or shine. This information wasn't shared between the campers alone. It was shared with the entire planet via her postings on the web. Ouch. That one really rankles. Was it just an encouragement to motivate her campers or an indication of her determination and mindset? It can be taken two ways. Was it enough for SP, looking to shoot a fish in a barrel so to speak, to assemble his tools and disguise beforehand, and hope she showed up, on that night, in a downpour...when tomorrow would do? After all, there was always tomorrow, a clearer day, a better assurance she would be there during less treacherous weather? Missy's online posts about time and place drew a target around her and placed her squarely at it's center. Absent murderous intent by someone taking notes, it was as innocent as posting the time and place for a Girl Scout meeting. So many variables that could scuttle any well laid plans with assassination their goal. A troubled teenager wanting to get back at the church for some reason?

I'm troubled by the security system and the congregation elders (and maybe some parishioners) knowing of flaws in the system. The on-again-off-again security cameras outside. The poor maintenance of those cameras. The oddly placed and few cameras inside. SP's casual strolls between them. Was he a member of their congregation past or present, the teen youth group? A troubled teenager with knowledge of the weakened security system, a thing for Missy, an itchy trigger finger and a gun at home waiting to give them relief or imagined stature among his peers? Maybe.

As I mentioned before, within the parameters of contact and work I've done with both the mental health and criminal justice system, I've learned that participation in crime requires a specific level of intelligence. It ranges from dumb as a stick to genius level. (I once knew a burglar who managed to break through the roof of a drugstore. He fell on a display case that had a rack of sunglasses on it. The glasses went scattering all over the floor mixed in with shards of glass. In the heat of the moment, he lost his own glasses in that pile. When the PD arrived, they found him on his knees, blind as a bat, searching for his glasses. That's how he go caught.)FBI profilers use the manner and sophistication of crimes as an indicator of experience. They look at a crime scene and ascertain what thought processes produced what behaviors that left a human being dead at the hands of someone unknown. Experience matters. SP shows little signs of experience or maturity. To my way of thinking SP isn't someone I'd hire to kill someone I most assuredly wanted dead. SP isn't hiding in the woods with a rifle, looking through a telescopic lens and killing her as she's exiting her vehicle in the very place and at the precise time she advertised.

He's inside, poking around, about to turn the wrong (right) doorknob and getting the shock of his life. Missy.

Last edited:
Another thing that went through my mind as far as being a hitman goes is that hitmen generally get paid well. Money up front, the balance paid after the hit. Two into the head and he's on his way home. With a pile of money in his pocket and the promise of more coming, why is SP rummaging around and vandalizing like a juvenile delinquent waiting for his grandma to pick him up from his class Halloween party? Is that what hitmen do? Wear an outfit that makes them the most noticeable in a crowd? An idiotic choice that (providentially for SP) worked out in his favor. What's the motivation for that? Why not a ski mask and a pair of Adidas?
A police uniform that screams LOOK AT ME? Why THAT choice?

I thought seriously about stalking. To you and I, Missy went about her life as routinely as any of us. The kids were taken here or there, school activities, household activities, shopping, get togethers with family and friends, social media conversations, and the fitness program. Really, the only dependable, documented, regimented, repetitious behavior that had a time stamp were the morning workouts and her insistence they would go on rain or shine. This information wasn't shared between the campers alone. It was shared with the entire planet via her postings on the web. Ouch. That one really rankles. Was it just an encouragement to motivate her campers or an indication of her determination and mindset? It can be taken two ways. Was it enough for SP, looking to shoot a fish in a barrel so to speak, to assemble his tools and disguise beforehand, and hope she showed up, on that night, in a downpour...when tomorrow would do? After all, there was always tomorrow, a clearer day, a better assurance she would be there during less treacherous weather? Missy's online posts about time and place drew a target around her and placed her squarely at it's center. Absent murderous intent by someone taking notes, it was as innocent as posting the time and place for a Girl Scout meeting. So many variables that could scuttle any well laid plans with assassination their goal. A troubled teenager wanting to get back at the church for some reason?

I'm troubled by the security system and the congregation elders (and maybe some parishioners) knowing of flaws in the system. The on-again-off-again security cameras outside. The poor maintenance of those cameras. The oddly placed and few cameras inside. SP's casual strolls between them. Was he a member of their congregation past or present, the teen youth group? A troubled teenager with knowledge of the weakened security system, a thing for Missy, an itchy trigger finger and a gun at home waiting to give them relief or imagined stature among his peers? Maybe.

As I mentioned before, within the parameters of contact and work I've done with both the mental health and criminal justice system, I've learned that participation in crime requires a specific level of intelligence. It ranges from dumb as a stick to genius level. (I once knew a burglar who managed to break through the roof of a drugstore. He fell on a display case that had a rack of sunglasses on it. The glasses went scattering all over the floor mixed in with shards of glass. In the heat of the moment, he lost his own glasses in that pile. When the PD arrived, they found him on his knees, blind as a bat, searching for his glasses. That's how he go caught.)FBI profilers use the manner and sophistication of crimes as an indicator of experience. They look at a crime scene and ascertain what thought processes produced what behaviors that left a human being dead at the hands of someone unknown. Experience matters. SP shows little signs of experience or maturity. To my way of thinking SP isn't someone I'd hire to kill someone I most assuredly wanted dead. SP isn't hiding in the woods with a rifle, looking through a telescopic lens and killing her as she's exiting her vehicle in the very place and at the precise time she advertised.

He's inside, poking around, about to turn the wrong (right) doorknob and getting the shock of his life. Missy.
All of these are things I wonder about.

Tell me why you DON'T think SP was STONED*.
*Did you know that one of the effects of smoking dope is an altered perception of time. You know, I have all the time in the world...when you really don't. You simply don't give a crap and attune your movements to your mental perception of what's required to get you from here to there according to your own mental timepiece - your brain.

If you like SP for being the driver of the Altima and all the goofy behavior you think you see, here's an angle you might want to consider: Does marijuana use affect driving? | National Institute on Drug Abuse
Did SP stop to smoke another blunt? WHOA! Serious brain distortion with all that lightning and thunder and rain pounding the windshield. Stop. Go. Lights on. Lights off. Parking under bright lights. I'm not convinced SP is driving that Altima, but whoever was might have already been stoned and was refueling their high.

If you like SP for a bumbling, disaffected jerk, who's wandering around like time doesn't exist, try this explanation:
What are marijuana's effects? | National Institute on Drug Abuse

If you...ahem...have some experience with marijuana, how good of a burglar do you think you might be on a stormy night when you're hammered with two blunts to your credit? While you're stumbling around with a piece in your pocket, you open a door and reality hits you in the face like a brick wall. "HOLY S***T!!! I'M NOT ALONE IN HERE!"

To quote the article: "Pleasant experiences with marijuana are by no means universal. Instead of relaxation and euphoria, some people experience anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

...and how many professional hitmen with hundreds, if not thousands of dollars riding on a successful outcome...light up a joint or two before they have to take those oh so important head shots?

Remember, overkill can be the result of an enhanced, distorted perception of the actual threat encountered.

Last edited:
I just re-watched the church's surveillance video (again). Today I'm leaning toward a female perpetrator, just based on the posture and knee positions while standing.

In the past, I saw the perp as a man, but my opinion was colored by knowing that a hammer and/or crowbar was used. That method sounds much more like a "guy thing". But now that we know the COD was probably a gunshot wound, with a probable post-mortem attack with from the tools, I've had to reassess.

(Not that women murderers haven't bludgeoned - they have - but I'll risk it by saying that's likely a rare occurrence.)

I wonder if some computer reconstructionist could do an animation WITHOUT the distracting garb, showing both a male and female with the perp's mannerisms. The two could be compared to see which gender fits best. This might provide some clarity.

Hmmm. Why would an experienced hitman risk possible discovery either by surveillance camera or someone inside the church, when they could simply position themselves outside (in the woods with a rifle), shoot her from a distance at her well publicized, usual workout location and leave?

Last edited:
IMO, Missy's arrival and approximate arrival time, rain or shine, were EXPECTED. As Razz said, too many coincidences to attribute to SP being an unfortunate surprised burglar. JMO

I agree. Too many coincidences IMO. I don't think a burglar would disguise themself to such an extreme and bulky harder to move level just to halfheartedly ransack a church and possibly steal a few things. It wouldn't be worth it, and I would think most burglars would realize any collection plate money wouldn't be left in the church from the day before. Far better to choose a different place to rob after going to all that trouble to disguise oneself. So I think he or she was there for another purpose, which they accomplished in spades.

Is there any chance those tools found were the small discarded ones from the little basket he picked up? Just been wondering about this.

The only "evidence" (so to speak) we have that the white object was a "little basket" was that GS said so, but we never were told why he claimed that. And he further speculated what was in the supposed "little basket" as his guess.

As for whether the basket contained tools, and if so if that was the "tools" that were found, would be just a matter of pure guess or speculation for anyone here. LE would know what they found, of course, but they don't share such info with outsiders.

If your question is actually meant to be a speculation, rather than a question, then yeah, "I think there were tools in the basket and these are what tools they found" is as good a guess as any.

NIN- I am not familiar with the varieties of hammers on the market. What type of hammer do you suspect it may be?

Not sure. Could be a geological rock hammer, a brick hammer, some kind of a welding hammer, or the camera is playing tricks with us and the hammer has a straight edge more like a tire hammer or a carpenter's hammer.

-Nin

The only "evidence" (so to speak) we have that the white object was a "little basket" was that GS said so, but we never were told why he claimed that. And he further speculated what was in the supposed "little basket" as his guess.

As for whether the basket contained tools, and if so if that was the "tools" that were found, would be just a matter of pure guess or speculation for anyone here. LE would know what they found, of course, but they don't share such info with outsiders.

If your question is actually meant to be a speculation, rather than a question, then yeah, "I think there were tools in the basket and these are what tools they found" is as good a guess as any.

BBM

'The warrant issued late in the afternoon of April 19 and obtained May 3, states that Bevers "had multiple puncture wounds found on her head and chest" that "are consistent with tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building." '

Missy Bevers Died From Multiple Puncture Wounds to Head and Chest: Police

-Nin

One argument often used here, that I have a hard time buying, is this one:
a. The perp somehow had to have known MB would be there that morning.
b. Therefore, knowing she would be there, it's clear he was there to kill MB. Otherwise he would have stayed away.

But that's circular reasoning. How could he have found out, if he didn't already know MB? The church didn't advertise the class. You had to be a friend on MB's facebook to know where and when her class was held, and thus to perhaps be aware there was a class at CCOC that morning.

And she wasn't a public personality everyone knew and followed. I live not far from the church and from where she lived, and while I had driven down that highway before, I had never particularly noticed it, nor did I have the least clue who she was until this terrible event hit the news. Even then, it was all strangers.

The point being, a person looking for a place to rob would almost certainly have been SHOCKED when she showed up. Stunned. No one comes to a church at 4:15 in the middle of the night. There would have been no church-related mention anywhere of an upcoming "event" there in the middle of the night (because it wasn't the church's event). Just her and a few class members, and people they knew, plus whoever was on her FB, would have known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter2_1