TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
December 23, 2017

The husband < > said he is done with the hunt for her killer.

'< > are not terribly fond of apprehending this person. They don't want to revisit those emotions-they have told me this,' < >

Husband says he is done searching for wife's killer for his kids' sake

April 2, 2018

The daughter of a murdered Midlothian woman used a livestock auction to raise money and awareness in the effort to find her mom’s killer.

The pig < > drew a winning bid of $15,000.

... she could keep her pig

MPD said in a statement how proud they are < > details are not yet determined how the money raised will be allocated to the investigation.

Missy Bevers' daughter raises money for investigation at livestock auction

Is anyone aware of how the MPD used the $15k? TIA

December 23, 2017

The husband < > said he is done with the hunt for her killer.

'< > are not terribly fond of apprehending this person. They don't want to revisit those emotions-they have told me this,' < >

Husband says he is done searching for wife's killer for his kids' sake

April 2, 2018

The daughter of a murdered Midlothian woman used a livestock auction to raise money and awareness in the effort to find her mom’s killer.

The pig < > drew a winning bid of $15,000.

... she could keep her pig

MPD said in a statement how proud they are < > details are not yet determined how the money raised will be allocated to the investigation.

Missy Bevers' daughter raises money for investigation at livestock auction

Is anyone aware of how the MPD used the $15k? TIA

I will have to do some digging, but IIRC correctly, Brandon made some weird big deal about it.

I am in the targeted camp, and its just not worth arguing over. It distracts away from the real reason we are all contributing, to determine what happened to Missy Bevers and aid in bring justice to her and her family.

I think that if we had the footage of minutes before the attack, it may help us determine that. It could just cause us to disagree more, who knows!
Agreed

Article is two years old and notes that police are determined to find Missy’s killer and they do not consider this a case cold.

Five years after Terri “Missy” Bevers was killed inside a Midlothian church, police say that their investigation remains open and that they are “determined to see this case reach closure.”

Missy Bevers

Missy Bevers((Facebook))
Authorities have received more than 3,000 tips since Bevers’ slaying — with more coming in almost daily — and investigators have traveled across Texas and to other states in the last year to follow up on new leads, Midlothian police say.

Although the homicide remains unsolved and no arrests have been made, police reiterated that they do not consider it a cold case.

I think that if we had the footage of minutes before the attack, it may help us determine that. It could just cause us to disagree more, who knows!
MOO, We will never, out of respect for the family, have the footage of the minute before the attack, as it is her last moment of life.
What we do have is Dr. Michael Nirenberg, who saw the video, telling us that MB appeared to be startled by a noise, in that she turned her head, as if realizing she was not alone, and then she walked down the hall. Since the Dr. is used as a forensic witness, I accept that he is a qualified expert and likely an excellent observer of human movements, it's what he does. The family and police have not contradicted his observations and I don't know why anyone would not find him credible.
To me, this speaks to the intruder having no idea that someone was going to be entering the church that early. They were not hiding in wait to do a swift execution, there was broken glass, a struggle and finally MB was shot. What killer walks around "killing time" waiting for the victim, instead of getting set up, so as to quickly shoot her upon her arrival and escape?
I have always wondered if the door was unlocked for Missy or if she had a key for it, also, if the killer was targeting her, did he/she know which door Missy would be using?

As for peering into rooms, I have speculated that the perp is looking in rooms and trying doors to identify which room Missy would be setting her class up in.
MB had instructions on how to release the lock on the door from the outside, without a key, to use the entrance table for sign-ins. Her Facebook gave the update that there would be class regardless of the rain.

Classes are held outdoors, in bad weather they look for the free use of a covered area, they weren't going to be using an inside room. If someone targeted her, wouldn't they at least have checked her Facebook, Instagram and the Bootcamp website for how the classes were held? If not for the noise, I don't think MB would have been killed. I think the intruder would have eventually realized people were arriving and would have left out the back.

Wouldn't a (planned) killer also know that early birds get there at 4:30 am so they have less than 10 minutes to kill her, get outside and out of view of the parking lot? MB drove in at 4:18, then went in at 4:20. I find it hard to impossible to believe any killer would think 10 minutes or less was plenty of time to get out of the church parking lot without being seen. Yes, I know they got away, but does it makes sense that they purposefully took that chance?

MOO, We will never, out of respect for the family, have the footage of the minute before the attack, as it is her last moment of life.
What we do have is Dr. Michael Nirenberg, who saw the video, telling us that MB appeared to be startled by a noise, in that she turned her head, as if realizing she was not alone, and then she walked down the hall. Since the Dr. is used as a forensic witness, I accept that he is a qualified expert and likely an excellent observer of human movements, it's what he does. The family and police have not contradicted his observations and I don't know why anyone would not find him credible.
To me, this speaks to the intruder having no idea that someone was going to be entering the church that early. They were not hiding in wait to do a swift execution, there was broken glass, a struggle and finally MB was shot. What killer walks around "killing time" waiting for the victim, instead of getting set up, so as to quickly shoot her upon her arrival and escape?

MB had instructions on how to release the lock on the door from the outside, without a key, to use the entrance table for sign-ins. Her Facebook gave the update that there would be class regardless of the rain.

Classes are held outdoors, in bad weather they look for the free use of a covered area, they weren't going to be using an inside room. If someone targeted her, wouldn't they at least have checked her Facebook, Instagram and the Bootcamp website for how the classes were held? If not for the noise, I don't think MB would have been killed. I think the intruder would have eventually realized people were arriving and would have left out the back.

Wouldn't a (planned) killer also know that early birds get there at 4:30 am so they have less than 10 minutes to kill her, get outside and out of view of the parking lot? MB drove in at 4:18, then went in at 4:20. I find it hard to impossible to believe any killer would think 10 minutes or less was plenty of time to get out of the church parking lot without being seen. Yes, I know they got away, but does it makes sense that they purposefully took that chance?

I understand all of the points you are trying to make.

I can’t see past a person dressed in such exaggerate attire that would prevent defensive attacks, keep forensics off, and conceal identity, <modsnip - no link from an approved source> The person who murdered her also strategically entered the one door that was most logically the least likely door Missy was going to use to enter.

Until someone can make a reasonable explanation to me as why that person was dressed so over the top, knowing what we know happened, I am not going to be persuaded otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand all of the points you are trying to make.

I can’t see past a person dressed in such exaggerate attire that would prevent defensive attacks, keep forensics off, and conceal identity, <modsnip - no link from an approved source> The person who murdered her also strategically entered the one door that was most logically the least likely door Missy was going to use to enter.

Until someone can make a reasonable explanation to me as why that person was dressed so over the top, knowing what we know happened, I am not going to be persuaded otherwise.
You cannot assume that the perpetrator wore that attire in order to do all of the things that you mentioned.

The person may have worn that attire primarily to live out a role-playing fantasy. He could have been a "wanna-be cop," as others have stated.

Concealment of identity was likely a priority as well. There is really nothing better than a SWAT/motorcycle helmet to conceal a person's face while still allowing the person to see clearly.

If you want to believe that this is a targeted attack, you cannot assume that Missy was the intended target. It is possible that the perp was expecting someone else to be the first to arrive.

I remain convinced that Missy interrupted a burglary. Contrary to the comments in the quoted post, several logic explanations have been offered for the perp's attire. The simplest explanation is that this was a first-timer who went to excessive lengths to conceal his identity, as first-timers are wont to do.

Why would a LARP (Live Action Role Play), during extremely rainy and windy weather conditions to include thunderstorms, decide it's the right time to try out wearing full SWAT gear while inside of a Church knowing they're being recorded by cctv?

Yes, concealment and containment from wearing the black helmet were optium for the success of getting away with murder. However, the helmet prevents the 5'2"-5'7" SP from seeing what's above them. It is the reason they raise their head, several times during the walkabout including, but not limited to, once while at the Double Dutch doors. The killer steps in the DD doorway but does not enter that room so what were they in the Church searching for if these movements were not simply meant to confuse LE?

No one in Missy's CG class had access to enter the locked doors of the CCoC before her arrival. She always arrived early in order to prepare for her Campers.
Before dawn on April 18, 2016, there was a heavy thunderstorm in Midlothian. The night before her murder, Bevers informed her students that the fitness class would be held inside the church due to the unfavorable weather,[6] as opposed to the typical site at the church's parking lot.[1] Bevers was last seen on unreleased surveillance footage entering the church at 4:18 a.m while preparing for her upcoming fitness class that was set to start at 5 a.m. Shortly after 5 a.m., a student of Bevers' fitness class entered the church, stumbling upon Bevers' body.
Sources revealed to WFAA that police now believe Bevers was not only targeted, but that the suspect planned to make the crime appear as if it was a burglary gone wrong.[18] One of the warrants filed by police claimed that the suspect possessed a smartphone with which he might have stalked Bevers' schedules and recorded her murder.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Missy_Bevers

The Police do not think it was an interrupted burglary but, instead, feel it was a targeted attack.

It is most unfortunate that there are so many pages of research in the missing threads. Some of the finest sleuths documented important findings that are no longer accessible to newcomers to Missy's case. That's over four years of research on the SP (SWAT Perp) that was wiped away in an instant.

Interview from APR 20, 2016
A reporter respectfully asks the victim's husband to speak from the heart.

... I mean this morning I've had
1:09
some mmm this morning I finally started
1:13
thinking about the events that occurred
1:15
yesterday morning and so you know I'm
1:20
starting with that process today you got
1:24
it
---
7:34
she found camp gladiator and through
7:39
raising our three children
7:41
you know she transformed into a
7:43
different physically person a mother but
7:48
she she decided to become physically fit
7:55
and for a 40 some-odd year old mother of
8:00
three she was very fit and transformed
8:06
on an unimaginable level she was a her
8:09
body pretty well sold her abilities in
8:12
transforming and helping other people
----
9:01
for 20 years and over the 20 years you
9:07
know our relationship evolved from this
9:09
to that to this to that and and we've
9:12
managed to keep it you know held
9:14
together all this time but at this
9:18
particular venture in our lives it
9:20
opened up an opportunity for her to do
9:23
something that was gratifying to herself
9:26
rather than raising a family constantly
9:30
driving kids around
-----
15:55
... every day for the last ten months
15:59
she has made it a point to text me at
16:01
work that she loves me and have a good
16:03
day honey
-----

This is my own opinion based on facts of the case as I know them to be. #JusticeForMissy

Why would a LARP (Live Action Role Play), during extremely rainy and windy weather conditions to include thunderstorms, decide it's the right time to try out wearing full SWAT gear while inside of a Church knowing they're being recorded by cctv?

The Police do not think it was an interrupted burglary but, instead, feel it was a targeted attack.
The bad weather is a perfect time for someone who wants to break into a place and goof around inside. The noise of the rain and wind would block out the sound of breaking in. You also have less chance of people out and about to witness unusual activity, either walking, or driving. Also of note, burglary just means breaking in, one could commit burglary without the intent to steal anything, but to just cause vandalism.

That quote on Wikipedia, claiming it was a targeted attack, is out of date and no longer accurate. If you research more recent comments from investigators, they do not know if it was targeted, or not. Here are two articles that state it is still unknown if it was a targeted attack or if Missy interrupted a burglary.

Yes, concealment and containment from wearing the black helmet were optium for the success of getting away with murder. However, the helmet prevents the 5'2"-5'7" SP from seeing what's above them. It is the reason they raise their head, several times during the walkabout including, but not limited to, once while at the Double Dutch doors. The killer steps in the DD doorway but does not enter that room so what were they in the Church searching for if these movements were not simply meant to confuse LE?

No one in Missy's CG class had access to enter the locked doors of the CCoC before her arrival. She always arrived early in order to prepare for her Campers.

It is most unfortunate that there are so many pages of research in the missing threads. Some of the finest sleuths documented important findings that are no longer accessible to newcomers to Missy's case. That's over four years of research on the SP (SWAT Perp) that was wiped away in an instant.

it
---
----
driving kids around
-----
day honey
-----

This is my own opinion based on facts of the case as I know them to be. #JusticeForMissy
what was this man's profession? He seems oddly detatched IMO though I do not like trying to gauge recations of people who are unfamiliar and possibly in shock.

As to the perp video, that person ambles around like a security guard...just wandering to and fro, not seeminly focused on any "stealables." It would take him/her a long time to actually take anything. Were there other church robberies on Mondays in Northern TX ? A thief would need to rob more than 1 church IMO, or maybe he/she has a day job.

Last edited:
After 7 years, no one (other than LE) has any clue on LE's thinking now - and they aren't sharing anything.

<modsnip - personalizing>

Interestingly, early on, LE also said in PCs they didn't really know whether MB was targeted or not, and it could be anyone. So there's that. And more recent articles say they have no opinion.

Early in the hunt, it was in LE's best interest for the public to help them find any and all suspects who might have had incentive to murder MB. Since all of that, we have been told they have investigated all of those who they think may have had some reason to want to kill MB for one reason or another, and found nothing. So should we assume their thinking has not changed as a result of years of investigation and follow-up on such potential suspects, with no results? That makes no sense.

It's also noteworthy that LE has floated any number of working theories on this case (seen in PCs, in SWs, in arrest choices, etc) shifting to suit whatever circumstance of the moment. At times one working idea contradicts another, or the evidence. That's what we have, and it speaks to many various thoughts being in play, not one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Random burglary still sticks for me because they are obviously not connecting a vendetta or issue with Missy with anyone.
No suspects, persons of interest.....etc.
She was a little pocket rocket....I wouldn't be suprised if she bravely went for the intruder and the intruder shot her unexpectantly.
But if your going to equip yourself with a murder weapon means you are prepared to use it. :-(
Crazy to know she had a gun herself in the car. ( I could be wrong on that bit but pretty sure they found her weapon there).

it
---
----
driving kids around
-----
day honey
-----

This article states an inference by the reporter that due to rain, Missy’s class would be moved indoors. I believe this is incorrectly reported based on a misinterpreted assumption by the reporter.

Her Facebook post said her class would be held rain or shine, but the location was to be outdoors under the cover of the large porte cochere. These types of high-intensity exercise classes would damage the church floor and I have seen articles that clarify this. Indoor access was for paperwork only. I must state “my own opinion” because I am unable to find and link these old articles.

I do think this location detail could affect the behavior of the murderer, MB as well as the campers on that morning.

day honey
bbm
Probably quite correct from an accounting point of view.

He spared us her last Valentine's letters to him, thankfully. ;)

Last edited:
Random burglary still sticks for me because they are obviously not connecting a vendetta or issue with Missy with anyone.
No suspects, persons of interest.....etc.
She was a little pocket rocket....I wouldn't be suprised if she bravely went for the intruder and the intruder shot her unexpectantly.
But if your going to equip yourself with a murder weapon means you are prepared to use it. :-(
Crazy to know she had a gun herself in the car. ( I could be wrong on that bit but pretty sure they found her weapon there).

I have a hard time believing that anyone, at all, would hard charge at someone decked out in an outfit that would protect them from hand to hand combat.

Much less hard charging someone they did not expect to be there around 4am.

I have a hard time believing that anyone, at all, would hard charge at someone decked out in an outfit that would protect them from hand to hand combat.

Much less hard charging someone they did not expect to be there around 4am.
who said she hard charged them?

I said I suspect she went for the intruder.

As example....yelled out....walked toward them. As in approached. Startled them ...questioned them...

Would seem quite fanciful to see her 'hard charging' someone welding a baton and as we now know a gun.

This article states an inference by the reporter that due to rain, Missy’s class would be moved indoors. I believe this is incorrectly reported based on a misinterpreted assumption by the reporter.

Her Facebook post said her class would be held rain or shine, but the location was to be outdoors under the cover of the large porte cochere. These types of high-intensity exercise classes would damage the church floor and I have seen articles that clarify this. Indoor access was for paperwork only. I must state “my own opinion” because I am unable to find and link these old articles.

I do think this location detail could affect the behavior of the murderer, MB as well as the campers on that morning.

I believe the floors in the Main Hallway are stained concrete without additional flooring. The CCoC sanctuary did not have carpet. Plan a Visit – Creekside Church

Missy unlocked the SW doors to set up her business flyers, sign-in sheets, etc. on an indoor table. She may have filled a large water container with water from the kitchen for the campers. The bathroom facilities were available for the campers. MB took a photo of her campers in front of the indoor coffee shop but I no longer possess that image. The Coffee Grounds is on the right side in this image where the folding door is. Note the stained, sealed and buffed concrete. AMHOO
Screenshot 2023-04-17 3.28.51 AM.png

The following images are from my trip to the CCoC in July 2016. Many were DBM after realizing I was unable to solve this mysterious crime. I suppose if the rain had subsided by the time Missy arrived, they could possibly utilize the space under the porte cochere without getting drenched although the rain was described as torrential.
"Coalescence, the merging of two of more rain droplets into a single larger droplet, is a main factor in torrential rain. The NWS defines torrential rain as rain that accumulates at a rate of three tenths of an inch or more per hour." https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-is-torrential-rain.html

Screenshot 2023-04-17 2.27.49 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-17 2.29.44 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-17 2.31.56 AM.png

The rain kept Brandon's airplane on the tarmac for a while on Sunday. The video from 17 camera angles at the SWFA across the street shows how much it was raining between 1:58am upon entering and 2:04am when the car exits onto Chris Kyle Memorial Highway (C.Kyle was an American Navy SEAL Sniper).

@ 02:07 - the torrential rain is undeniable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pixel8