TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, the gear is wearing the person, the person is not wearing the gear. moo
I just cant see either an "amateur hour", nor a pro level burglar wearing the get up. Clothing that offers disguise, but is not cumbersome such as hoodies, sun glasses, pantyhose etc. sure. I can also see nothing being worn- well, disguise wise.

Though still possible for a burglar to wear, the grab bag swat stuff seems more like the perpetrator wanted a disguise and protection against a target they knew was physically formidable.

Pursuant to a former member, I can also see a hastily contrived larping fantasy: Always wanted to be strong and tough- this SWAT gear makes me that. Yikes, somebody is coming to confront me! If I am caught, I am going to be humiliated. So, I make a desperate attack.

In the end, I think there are three general motive sources:

A- Burglary gone bad.
B-Targeted.
C- Random whether Larping fantasy or other aggressive weirdo.

All three are possible. I bounce between "Random Larping gone bad" and "Targetted".

The victim's uhmm.... "extracurricular" interests would seem to give alot of motive opportunity, but the strongest possibilities from those activities could well of been run down. This leaves "A" and "C", but how likely are those two?

I wonder if Terri's husband had a lover, or ex-gf who deemed her in the way? I'm not asking anyone to investigate, but it's something I wondered about. Did her husband have a stalker and targeted her?
I think your possibility maybe increased by the "extracurricular" interests of the victim and apparently to a lesser extent, the husband. Mix extramarital sex with marital relationships and one can get:

- An inability to keep uhmm... "adult encounters" and the idea of a relationship separate.

- Unreasonable expectations then occur. They are followed by non objective thinking and a participant fuzzily concludes that: If "Z" were to be removed, "Y" will then happen between "X" and I.... .

This could support a female stalker being interested in the husband, then murdering the victim in hopes of obtaining a "fuzzy thinking" desirable outcome.

Last edited:
I just cant see either an "amateur hour", nor a pro level burglar wearing the get up. Clothing that offers disguise, but is not cumbersome such as hoodies, sun glasses, pantyhose etc. sure. I can also see nothing being worn- well, disguise wise.

Though still possible for a burglar to wear, the grab bag swat stuff seems more like the perpetrator wanted a disguise and protection against a target they knew was physically formidable.

Pursuant to a former member, I can also see a hastily contrived larping fantasy: Always wanted to be strong and tough- this SWAT gear makes me that. Yikes, somebody is coming to confront me! If I am caught, I am going to be humiliated. So, I make a desperate attack.

In the end, I think there are three general motive sources:

A- Burglary gone bad.
B-Targeted.
C- Random whether Larping fantasy or other aggressive weirdo.

All three are possible. I bounce between "Random Larping gone bad" and "Targetted".

The victim's uhmm.... "extracurricular" interests would seem to give alot of motive opportunity, but the strongest possibilities from those activities could well of been run down. This leaves "A" and "C", but how likely are those two?

A random LARPING alone seems odd, but I guess anything is possible!

A random LARPING alone seems odd, but I guess anything is possible!
I agree 100%.

For me, the distant possibility is only viable because:

- The seemingly far more fertile "extracurricular activities" motive has not panned out.

- It just does not look like a burglary. Instead, it seems almost like a footage of: "I am geared up with macho Swat stuff- I uhmm... "effected an entry into the target"- and.... now what?".

I happen to think the person was in disguise for CCTV cover.

I happen to think they picked that night because of the rain. Did not expect EB at all.

I think he/she didn't know EB heard him /her until she was right there, having come to investigate noises she heard.

I think EB recognized the person and that's why she's dead. :(

I still think the motive WAS NOT to kill anyone but to stage a break in, with notably minimal damage. That's telling to me.

If she canceled class or never entered the building, how would that day have played out?

Would the birglar come back for spoils?

Would the offender find another time or place to murder her?

And, sans a murder, what would the routine work day look like for staff⁷ arriving that morning? They'd see some damage, check the CCTV... then what?

What action might the congregation take, after viewing a breach?

How did this person leave without capture by CCTV?

Do they have family who was unaware of the absence? Someone they'd never suspect, not in a million years?

Is the person bearing the weight of what they did? Is it eating at them?

Have they moved away?

All questions, no answers....

JMO

So much of what we do here is a Rorschach-like exercise in projection, but I am left with four main thoughts:

1. To quote Novelist Susan Isaacs, adultery results in recriminations and useless garter belts far more often than in homicide. At the same time, I am well into middle age and I've been on all three corners of a love triangle in my lifetime. know from personal experience that extramarital affairs can drive otherwise law-abiding middle-class people into criminal behavior. I am aware of all the arguments in favor of a burglar/dumb LARPer, but if we hypothesize that this was targeted then I think adultery supplies adequate options for motives, including some that would not be immediately apparent. Spurned lover, spouse of lover, jealous third party (e.g., someone who had crush on lover), vengeful defender (i.e. someone who thought they were "protecting" Missy's husband), angry in-law: there are lots of options, not all of which are rational to the outside observer.

2. If a person wants to commit premediated murder and is not a hunter, marksman, ninja, or Special Forces, it's probably going to look like what happened to Elizabeth Barraza and what (I presume) happened to Missy: gunshot at point blank range. If the victim is not part of the same household, IMO that's almost the sole means by which an average person could kill someone with malice aforethought. That likely means (a) lying in wait in the victim's home (which would require access or break-in; (b) approaching the victim at her home as in the Barraza garage sale case or the fake delivery in Shelia Keen-Warren case; or (c) approaching the victim on the street or in a public or semi-public place, as with Missy. Due to the prevalence of cameras in doorbells, driveways, and public spaces, a disguise seems necessary. If we assume that Missy was targeted, what strikes me about the church location is that it is the most reliable place to get her alone. Missy was a busy mother of three and likely to be in the company of her children at home or while driving or in public places such as the bank or grocery store. If the killer placed importance on not committing the crime in front of the children or in the family home, he or she had few options. And Missy had advertised on a publicly visible FB post that she would be at the church. It is one of the few places an evil-minded person with no special skills could approach her if they did not want to expose the children or home to the direct impact of the crime.

3. The crime happened on a date for which her husband had an impeccable alibi (out of state on a fishing trip with witnesses) and her FIL had a very good alibi (out of state). I do not suggest that they were involved. But what if protecting those family members was an important criterion for the killer? (Rational or not.) JMO.

4. The forensic podiatrist quoted above described unreleased video of Missy apparently hearing a noise and then proceeding further into the church, toward the noise. Missy had a gun in her truck. If I were in her circumstances, with a weapon and phone in my vehicle, there is only one thing that could cause me to walk into the deserted church on that stormy night: hearing someone call my name.

JMO. As noted, a lot of this is projection and may say more about me than it does about the case. I hope the authorities can catch a break and bring justice to her family.

One thing that also stood out to me when watching the 2 minute surveillance footage is that when the perpetrator leaves the unlocked doors wide open after assessing the space behind them and the almost surprised reaction or nod they display when the top and bottom doors for room 21 open towards the left. Missy Beaver’s assailant then seems to step into the space with their backs to it as though to see if they fit and can adequately conceal themselves from human eyes behind the doors despite their glass panels. This was just my impression but it did make me wonder if this individual did already intend to take attack someone by first taking them by surprise?

This thought did make review the interview with the forensic podiatrist, Pat Brown’s video and maps available on Reddit. It does seem room 21 is adjacent to the right of the woman’s restroom and the area where Missy Beaver had her life unjustly taken away from her. I remembered what the podiatrist said about MB appearing to react and turn in the direction of a noise that alerted her. He theorized that at this moment MB realized she wasn’t alone in the church. It did make me wonder again if it is possible that her assailant used these same doors to conceal themselves until they were ready to make themselves known, catching her unaware before shooting her to death? Perhaps in this scenario the noise was the sound of the doors opening or they deliberately made a sound to draw her attention and the parts of her body they intended to aim for in their direction?

I also reread an article about MB’s family and how they were worried about her being alone at the church so early in the morning when it was still dark. Perhaps they had a time frame they estimated MB to be regularly alone at work before her class participants’ to arrive? I wonder then too could her killer also have knowledge of such information and how?

I believe this also inspired MB’s husband to encourage her to carry a firearm with her just in case. This also makes me wonder if the perpetrator was aware that MB was armed and not aware she left her gun in her car. Instead they protected themselves with anti-riot gear, multiple tools that could be used as weapons (hammer, pry bar) and a gun. Maybe too concealing themselves was too make sure they had the advantage, she was not carrying her weapon and their weapons were drawn before she could even register the danger.

Last edited:
So much of what we do here is a Rorschach-like exercise in projection, but I am left with four main thoughts:

1. To quote Novelist Susan Isaacs, adultery results in recriminations and useless garter belts far more often than in homicide. At the same time, I am well into middle age and I've been on all three corners of a love triangle in my lifetime. know from personal experience that extramarital affairs can drive otherwise law-abiding middle-class people into criminal behavior. I am aware of all the arguments in favor of a burglar/dumb LARPer, but if we hypothesize that this was targeted then I think adultery supplies adequate options for motives, including some that would not be immediately apparent. Spurned lover, spouse of lover, jealous third party (e.g., someone who had crush on lover), vengeful defender (i.e. someone who thought they were "protecting" Missy's husband), angry in-law: there are lots of options, not all of which are rational to the outside observer.

2. If a person wants to commit premediated murder and is not a hunter, marksman, ninja, or Special Forces, it's probably going to look like what happened to Elizabeth Barraza and what (I presume) happened to Missy: gunshot at point blank range. If the victim is not part of the same household, IMO that's almost the sole means by which an average person could kill someone with malice aforethought. That likely means (a) lying in wait in the victim's home (which would require access or break-in; (b) approaching the victim at her home as in the Barraza garage sale case or the fake delivery in Shelia Keen-Warren case; or (c) approaching the victim on the street or in a public or semi-public place, as with Missy. Due to the prevalence of cameras in doorbells, driveways, and public spaces, a disguise seems necessary. If we assume that Missy was targeted, what strikes me about the church location is that it is the most reliable place to get her alone. Missy was a busy mother of three and likely to be in the company of her children at home or while driving or in public places such as the bank or grocery store. If the killer placed importance on not committing the crime in front of the children or in the family home, he or she had few options. And Missy had advertised on a publicly visible FB post that she would be at the church. It is one of the few places an evil-minded person with no special skills could approach her if they did not want to expose the children or home to the direct impact of the crime.

3. The crime happened on a date for which her husband had an impeccable alibi (out of state on a fishing trip with witnesses) and her FIL had a very good alibi (out of state). I do not suggest that they were involved. But what if protecting those family members was an important criterion for the killer? (Rational or not.) JMO.

4. The forensic podiatrist quoted above described unreleased video of Missy apparently hearing a noise and then proceeding further into the church, toward the noise. Missy had a gun in her truck. If I were in her circumstances, with a weapon and phone in my vehicle, there is only one thing that could cause me to walk into the deserted church on that stormy night: hearing someone call my name.

JMO. As noted, a lot of this is projection and may say more about me than it does about the case. I hope the authorities can catch a break and bring justice to her family.
This, among many, many reasons.

I fully believe this was planned and she was targeted.

The ridiculous get-up at that hour which concealed identity, kept forensics off, and provided protection from someone like Missy who would likely put up a fight.

I think there was one thing they could not account for in the plan; the place Missy was entering. This information has been unclear to me, like if she had a key to the church or not.

Logically, the kitchen is THE LAST place Missy would be entering the church at.

I think this person entered the kitchen and is checking out the rooms to see where Missy may ultimately be going to once she entered, so they could surprise her.

As far as the noise she reacted to, several people have thought she may have been reacting to someone calling her name. I am not fully following why this would prompt her to go further. Could you kindly elaborate on the logic? I am not saying I think its farfetched, I just don't understand, and several people have mentioned that specifically.

One thing that also stood out to me when watching the 2 minute surveillance footage is that when the perpetrator leaves the unlocked doors wide open after assessing the space behind them and the almost surprised reaction or nod they display when the top and bottom doors for room 21 open towards the left. Missy Beaver’s assailant then seems to step into the space with their backs to it as though to see if they fit and can adequately conceal themselves from human eyes behind the doors despite their glass panels. This was just my impression but it did make me wonder if this individual did already intend to take attack someone by first taking them by surprise?

This thought did make review the interview with the forensic podiatrist, Pat Brown’s video and maps available on Reddit. It does seem room 21 is adjacent to the right of the woman’s restroom and the area where Missy Beaver had her life unjustly taken away from her. I remembered what the podiatrist said about MB appearing to react and turn in the direction of a noise that alerted her. He theorized that at this moment MB realized she wasn’t alone in the church. It did make me wonder again if it is possible that her assailant used these same doors to conceal themselves until they were ready to make themselves known, catching her unaware before shooting her to death? Perhaps in this scenario the noise was the sound of the doors opening or they deliberately made a sound to draw her attention and the parts of her body they intended to aim for in their direction?

I also reread an article about MB’s family and how they were worried about her being alone at the church so early in the morning when it was still dark. Perhaps they had a time frame they estimated MB to be regularly alone at work before her class participants’ to arrive? I wonder then too could her killer also have knowledge of such information and how?

I believe this also inspired MB’s husband to encourage her to carry a firearm with her just in case. This also makes me wonder if the perpetrator was aware that MB was armed and not aware she left her gun in her car. Instead they protected themselves with anti-riot gear, multiple tools that could be used as weapons (hammer, pry bar) and a gun. Maybe too concealing themselves was too make sure they had the advantage, she was not carrying her weapon and their weapons were drawn before she could even register the danger.
I think, the killer knew:

MB's exact time, she would arrive (he didn't know, she would have been a little late this morning)
MB hadn't her daughter with her this morning (on other mornings she was accompanied by daughter)
MB had a gun in her possession (he didn't know, whether the gun was brought into church by her)
MB entered the church always at the SW entrance (where her truck parked with the training utils and where the group would have trained under the awning, if the weather had been appropriate)

where there were no surveillance cameras in the church (ie. main reception hall or adjoining room)

For what purposes except some boredom he wandered around and looked into rooms, I don't know. He could have done it without smashing windows, so I think, he staged some vandalism or Break & Enter for misleading police (maybe being successful with that) and causing a lot of work for forensics.

I think, the killer knew:

MB's exact time, she would arrive (he didn't know, she would have been a little late this morning)
MB hadn't her daughter with her this morning (on other mornings she was accompanied by daughter)
MB had a gun in her possession (he didn't know, whether the gun was brought into church by her)
MB entered the church always at the SW entrance (where her truck parked with the training utils and where the group would have trained under the awning, if the weather had been appropriate)

where there were no surveillance cameras in the church (ie. main reception hall or adjoining room)

For what purposes except some boredom he wandered around and looked into rooms, I don't know. He could have done it without smashing windows, so I think, he staged some vandalism or Break & Enter for misleading police (maybe being successful with that) and causing a lot of work for forensics.

As for Missy’s gun, I believe the perp was banking on her not having it on her person at 4am, in workout attire, and possibly carrying items for her class when she walked into the church, but decked out in SWAT in case she did, in addition to it concealing identity, keeping forensics off, and protecting against hand to hand fighting.

well said.

#4. makes logical sense to me too.

It's frustrating this case has NOT yet been solved.

These are great points.
Do we know if this case is still active or closed?

This, among many, many reasons.

I fully believe this was planned and she was targeted.

The ridiculous get-up at that hour which concealed identity, kept forensics off, and provided protection from someone like Missy who would likely put up a fight.

I think there was one thing they could not account for in the plan; the place Missy was entering. This information has been unclear to me, like if she had a key to the church or not.

Logically, the kitchen is THE LAST place Missy would be entering the church at.

I think this person entered the kitchen and is checking out the rooms to see where Missy may ultimately be going to once she entered, so they could surprise her.

As far as the noise she reacted to, several people have thought she may have been reacting to someone calling her name. I am not fully following why this would prompt her to go further. Could you kindly elaborate on the logic? I am not saying I think its farfetched, I just don't understand, and several people have mentioned that specifically.

If Missy recognized the voice.
If you recognized a family member or family friend's voice you might walk towards it also. What if they cried out,
"Missy help me."

This is a reason I think this is someone she KNEW, hence the need to conceal their ID from the security cameras.

I'm firmly in the camp of premeditated murder and Terri was targeted.

ID CONCEALED: The SWAT team costume to conceal the person's ID, because otherwise they would have been caught by now. Someone who attends the church or close friends of the family.
MOTIVE: A romantic revival and/or Insurance Policy.

Has her husband or family/extended family continued to press to find her killer? I haven't heard anything in the news.

I think the SWAT suspect/killer is NOT a stranger and will eventually be discovered but if the case is closed it will take a lot longer to solve.

Last edited:
Agree. Almost stretching, prepping the mind. Almost a "Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum. . . "

This case needs to be solved.

Pumping themselves up, adrenaline rush waiting for her to arrive, and I think there is a possibility this person may have boozed themselves up really hard. Liquid courage to carry out the plan. It could be why they are wobbling and bracing themselves up against the wall.

If Missy recognized the voice.
If you recognized a family member or family friend's voice you might walk towards it also. What if they cried out,
"Missy help me."

This is a reason I think this is someone she KNEW, hence the need to conceal their ID from the security cameras.
Thank you for explaining this better.

I have a hard time grasping the concept, but you explained it well.

I am an EXTREMELY jumpy person. Like, if someone at work starts talking to me and I didn't see or hear them coming towards me, I seriously almost jump 10 ft in the air. This can be someone very casually asking me something. I thought I was going to have a heart attack years ago really late night/early morning when my son was a baby, and I didn't see his mother go into his room. She walked out of the room as I was going to get him, said "I got it" in a fairly regular voice and I seriously thought I was having a heart attack.

So for me, personally, if I was expecting to be alone in a church at 4am, and anyone made a noise to get my attention, I would probably soil myself and freeze up.

This is a little off the beaten path, but there is speculation that in the past, some serial killers played recordings of babies crying in order to get (particularly women) to answer the door and investigate the sound.

Spurned lover, spouse of lover, jealous third party (e.g., someone who had crush on lover), vengeful defender (i.e. someone who thought they were "protecting" Missy's husband), angry in-law: there are lots of options, not all of which are rational to the outside observer.
Very well said.

I would also add the possibility of a participant angry at group rules not being followed.

Of course, the rules are not exactly written down, subject to change, and subject to interpretation. Then factor in that some people also exempt themselves from their own rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member