TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had blurry pictures of the West (main) entry, afaik, where a forensic or forensics on their knees were doing their work. Is my memory totally wrong?
(1) I don't know what pic you might be thinking of - but I don't doubt maybe something like that, or that we THOUGHT was showing that, was found, and (2) if you can find whatever pic it is and post it (or link to it), then there probably would be a good answer for you.

When this case was new (in the first months) there were various pics from where media thronged to the scene in the first few days. Taken from various angles, but not allowed inside. Some had reflections off of windows or doors. Some were confusing.

Back then, we didn't have a good idea of what pics were of what part of the church, of angles, nor of where MB might have been killed. LE descriptions proved confusing. We weren't even sure where MB entered. It all made for animated discussions here.

Much of that has been resolved for us over the years. In the light of what we know now, any pic would be much easier to analyze now, for what it shows (or doesn't).

One reason why <modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> may not have been seen on camera after the murder is that he may have ran so fast that the motion activated cameras didn't have time to catch him run down that hall back into the kitchen to escape. Some cameras are always recording and the motion is what tells the machine save before/after the movement. Some cameras only begin recording when they detect movement. Someone else with more knowledge in this area may be able to shed some light on how this works.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were a burglary, then why not at least take her wedding rings?
I was curious if she even wore her rings while exercising. Looking through all of her class photos, I noticed she's always wearing gloves. It could be the 'burglar' just didn't notice a ring.

Were there oher Altima's in the area that night driving around?
Since there was significant delay between the crime and release it's reasonable to assume that whatever police could check was checked before and neither the car or the driver was located to this day.
Maybe they were stolen license plates IDK.
There is no way to convince LE that nothing illegal is going on if the driver would be caught with stolen licence plates. Routine checkup, and the driver would be in huge trouble. Especially at night, when there is not that many other cars driving.
But something is off here where LE asked the driver of the Altima to come forward but they haven't. Maybe they weren't local.
That seems to be pretty likely scenario. Someone from other state would have smaller chance to learn about Missy's case and that police is looking for that car's driver. For some people it could be pretty hard to recall if they were ever in Midlothian... and from the driver's perspective parking lot could look totally different so not ringing any bells even if they saw the recording sometime later.
But what that driver was doing generally isn't consider as understandable action by those looking at the recording. I don't recall any comment like "Oh yeah, this could be me, cause I sometimes do that because: ..."
Why would the Altima just drive around they obviously may have been surveiling the gun store. But if the motive was a future robbery of the gun store then I can see them not coming forward.
And doing that on rainy night while barely anything is visible yet the car and driver are extremely exposed?
Attempted robbery of gun store was the reason why this material was even discovered and given to the police. It'd be ten times easier and more convenient for a robber to check out the store during the day, pretending to be one of the customers.
Maybe the driver of the Altima was looking for a random victim at the gunstore but couldn't come across any so decided to go to the church?
Random victim in the middle of the night? Most likely not.
If LE has ruled everyone out does this mean that Missy's death was random?
No. If they ruled out every possible POI that they considered it just means that none of those people had anything to do with this crime, as far as available evidence goes. Nothing more, nothing less.
Even if they came up to the conclusion that it was almost certainly random, they still have to explore and investigate different angles if they see other scenarios as possible.
Considering how thoroughly people closest to her were investigated it's highely unlikely that any of them was involved. But Missy could be considered as locally famous. Not some Midlothian star known to everyone in the city and around it, but cause of her involvement in fitness she was known to hundred(s) time more people than average housewife would be. Lots of interactions with people, so risk of having one nutcase among them who managed to develop mortal grudge against her.
It's definitely not a likely scenario but it is a possibility.

Toxic jealousy is a thing and whoever was in this kind of relationship probably can confirm that it doesn't matter what facts are, what matters is the crazyness that goes on in jealous person's mind. Fitness/gym/pool trainers are especially good candidates as people to be jealous about and they can have no clue that something is going on, cause in reality nothing is going on.

Since all "usual" suspects were checked, investigated and ruled out IMO if Missy was not a random victim, then she was targeted by someone who managed to draw no attention to themselves during the investigation - and not cause they were criminal masterminds, but cause their motive was crazy enough to be unforeseen and with rather loose ties to her.
If not she personally was targeted, but someone among gladiators, some fitness trainer, some member of that church, some police officer or someone related to Missy (to end up incriminated as the perp) it'd be even harder to find a connection.
But - better to keep in mind that it is, excuse my language - pretty advanced rabbitholling: "possible" as far as sheer possibilities go, but as long as evidence and clues aren't pointing directly at that angle it won't lead anywhere.

On the other hand at this point I may saw most of surveillance recordings of people burglarizing churches and it still stoods out so much. Why no bag or backpack to collect at least some small valuables? So much effort with outfit, very unusual effort with outfit, likely own tools brought to the scene but nothing to collect stuff in?
Yes, it was said that they could be after money. But what money? 100$ bills?
Aren't Sunday donations full of coins and small bills folded in all different ways?
What was the dumb plan? To find big box full of money, rip it open and just weed out some of the better bills with helmet and gloves on? Stuff some in pocket and good to go? Grab one or two valuable objects and run not even considering that they may stumble on some expensive electronics?
No hurry in sight so ready to steal some stuff but only something that fits in their pocket?

I wonder if there could be something in that church (on the day or even possibly sometime earlier) that could be either:
a) rather small but very valuable object that was seen by the perp (or someone who told perp about it) and believed to be stored "somewhere" in the church,
b) something very valuable to the perp but not really to anyone else - what could it be, why in church and how could be possibly THAT important to commit burglary and even murder over it I have no idea.

Members of that church should be able to share their suspicions about the possibility "a" cause surely such object would be noticed and known to many people.
But what with "b"? Maybe that was some sort of "let's break into the school and get to the teacher's room cause I need to fix my math tests" kind of motive behind this breaking.

But what that driver was doing generally isn't consider as understandable action by those looking at the recording. I don't recall any comment like "Oh yeah, this could be me, cause I sometimes do that because: ..."
Snipped.

You must have missed my earlier comment.

I have driven around a building exactly that way more than once—sometimes at night—if I'm lost and want to find the address on the build. Addresses are usually even on one side of the street and odd on the other side of the street, so just knowing whether I'm on the "odd" side or the "even" side could be useful to me when I'm lost if I'm looking for a particular address.

It's also useful to know which direction I need to travel for the addresses to go up or down, so I will sometimes try to find the addresses on two different buildings.

I cannot believe this has not been solved. Clearly targeted. The walk sure does look familiar, height too, to someone in other videos that covered the case. It was planned, outfit ordered, arrival before Missy and others, casually walks through the place making noise not worried about anyone coming in at that time. They KNEW when people would arrive, Missy would arrive. <modsnip>
I lean towards it being targeted as well. If it wasn’t targeted , why did the perp kill her at all. Why not just flee? Or at least, just knock her out.

With their disguise she would have had no idea who they were. Why kill her?
It makes no sense, unless they had a habit of killing people? And do people like that bother with such elaborate disguises? Maybe, idk.

That, and it all seemed to be too much to be simply coincidental.

It really reminds me of something from a horror movie like “Scream”. Unfortunately it wasn’t just a movie. :(

1 I have not heard of an interview by S-I-L, but it's always possible she gave one.
2 But what would she know that we don't? I doubt she was a camper so she was not there that day. Nor was she an investigator who would have been given access to the building. Nor would she have access to LE files or evidence.
3 S-I-L may have given her speculation to someone, basing it on what she thinks she knows about the case. Or about what she thinks MB may have done.

Are any of these facts? Or is this just a what-if scenario of guesses, like we do here at WS? How would she know?

I would love to have more factual information, but this raises all kinds of questions for me.

LE says not so. They have the video (or, lack of same) and would know. They say that there is no video of Loser Perp exiting, nor of the attack or anything after, and that they believe Loser Perp left via kitchen door.

That perp left out the kitchen door, but not seen on video as he did so, is certainly possible in relation to what video we have seen.

I got my information from a youtube video about Missy Bever's case. It was a long research video that I watched bits and pieces of by someone who did some good research. I do not know if they are a verified insider though. A little after the 2 hour 36 minute of the nearly 6 hour video is an interview actually taken from another youtube group who interviewed Missy Bever's sister-in-law. I did not know if this person and their research was allowed, but the interview itself was directly from the sister-in-law talking. It came directly from a close family member. This is what I based my conclusions on.

Then she heard something and turned her head to the right walking cautiously down the hallway towards the Northwest area where she was found. She walked towards the area where she heard noise

Are any of these facts? Or is this just a what-if scenario of guesses, like we do here at WS? How would she know?
I'm inclined to think this description is a fact. The forensic podiatrist also saw the unreleased video, he described it very similarly.

I wonder why he was shown this video, as he was consulted to analyze SP's gait. I'm guessing it was either inadvertent or before Missy arrived, there is more video of SP walking down that hallway.

I got my information from a youtube video about Missy Bever's case. It was a long research video that I watched bits and pieces of by someone who did some good research. I do not know if they are a verified insider though. A little after the 2 hour 36 minute of the nearly 6 hour video is an interview actually taken from another youtube group who interviewed Missy Bever's sister-in-law. I did not know if this person and their research was allowed, but the interview itself was directly from the sister-in-law talking. It came directly from a close family member. This is what I based my conclusions on.

Thank you for the explanation of where it came from.

If there's an avenue to see MBSIL speaking, that would be great. How can WE go see MBSIL ourselves on video, to know what she said and didn't say, how did she word things, is she saying these are what she knows, claims to know, OR is just speculating on, etc.

So far our ability to get to any of that appears to be behind lots of layers (a video somewhere unknown by an unnamed guy who happens to be interested in MB case), who says there's a different video somewhere by a different unnamed guy interested in the case, who says he has heard of (or heard) an interview by MBSIL, and who claims she said this or that. So many unknowns and in-betweens, each with their potential biases and own potential for misconstruing and misquoting and such. It feels like the old party game of Telephone. How do we hear what was originally said (if anything) for ourselves?

I'm inclined to think this description is a fact. The forensic podiatrist also saw the unreleased video, he described it very similarly.

The question would be whether MBSIL saw the extra video, or was speculating arising from what was said in dr's broadcast interview.

We do know what podiatrist said, more or less.

Forensic Podiatrist Called By FBI To Study Missy Bevers' Killer's Gait, Explains Investigative Process In this news video, it tells us "He says she turned her head, appearing to hear something off-camera" and then he says ""It sticks with you because you know what's coming" but in the video, he doesn't say whether or not MB was aware or alerted (the reporter took it as she becoming aware she was not alone, but in a diff interview the dr seemed to say that obviously HE knew she was not alone and it was creepy to see, but he didn't think she became aware at all).

I would have to look, but I've always understood that the family saw the video that was not released to the public. Because it was the last moment in Missy's life, it was not made public.
In my opinion, the podiatrist is unbiased and used to giving accurate descriptions of his observation, I believe him and his interpretation, when he says he saw a video in which Missy was startled by a noise, this matches the information given by the MBSIL.
I'm going to guess, that the SIL revealed her information before the podiatrist was consulted, it should be easy to find the dates.

Edit to add, I posted before that I believe this information is a strong indicator, that SP had no idea anyone was going to be entering the church, and the surprise meeting resulted in her death.

Last edited:
I would have to look, but I've always understood that the family saw the video that was not released to the public. Because it was the last moment in Missy's life, it was not made public.
In my opinion, the podiatrist is unbiased and used to giving accurate descriptions of his observation, I believe him and his interpretation, when he says he saw a video in which Missy was startled by a noise, this matches the information given by the MBSIL.
I'm going to guess, that the SIL revealed her information before the podiatrist was consulted, it should be easy to find the dates.

Edit to add, I posted before that I believe this information is a strong indicator, that SP had no idea anyone was going to be entering the church, and the surprise meeting resulted in her death.

If there is more or different or earlier on SIL and an actual interview to look at, to know what she really had to say (if anything) and her basis, that would be helpful.

Per dr, MB did hear (or appear to hear) something after entering. No question.

But I'm not convinced her becoming "startled" was his word or idea. ("he says he saw a video in which Missy was startled") That was your wording, using reporter's derived wording used in the voiceover (his actual choice of words was not cited or shown). But in later updates he didn't really seem to convey the connotation of "alarm" that "startled" does. More to the idea of just hearing something.

Here's one. Forensic Podiatrist Called By FBI To Study Missy Bevers’ Killer’s Gait, Explains Investigative Process – CBS Dallas / Fort Worth | Now And Then News In it, "He says she turned her head showing to listen to one thing off-camera" which indicates more an idea of hearing but not alarm. Maybe thinking she heard something, but not sure and listening to see if she heard anything more? Hard to say without seeing the video firsthand, of course.

Last edited:

Then IMO its probably correct as the podiatrist would be unbiased in his assessment that she was startled. I see your point that the perp didn't realize anyone was there. But in order for us to speculate that the perp was unaware we need some more information such as where exactly did they come across each other. The reason I ask this is if Missy was aware then would she go find out who it was or would she call out and stay where she was and let the the person come to where she was. If she saw this individual would her initial reaction be "Oh its ok its police" and let them come to her or innocently go towards the individual. IMO it look as if though Missy was unaware of the vandalism of course I could be wrong. So that's another reason to know where they met. The perp could have left without hurting Missy since she wasn't aware of the vandalism. So it seems it was deliberate. Although again here we need to know where they met. Since the perp was in disguise Missy couldn't identify. Dis she hear the perp talking to themselves. If either of them were startled the perp could have left the church so its seems this bent on doing this IMO.

If there is more or different or earlier on SIL and an actual interview to look at, to know what she really had to say (if anything) and her basis, that would be helpful.

Per dr, MB did hear (or appear to hear) something after entering. No question.

But I'm not convinced her becoming "startled" was his word or idea. That was reporter's derived wording used in the voiceover (his actual choice of words was not cited or shown). In later updates he didn't really seem to convey the connotation of "alarm" that "startled" does.

Here's one. Forensic Podiatrist Called By FBI To Study Missy Bevers’ Killer’s Gait, Explains Investigative Process – CBS Dallas / Fort Worth | Now And Then News In it, "He says she turned her head, showing to listen to one thing off-camera" which indicates more an idea of hearing but not alarm.
So if she heard something and knew her class hadn't arrived yet would she be startled or alarmed even at the noise she heard?

So if she heard something and knew her class hadn't arrived yet would she be startled or alarmed even at the noise she heard?

As i said and explained, I'm not convinced the dr thought she was startled or alarmed.

Unfortunately we're incredibly far removed from knowing enough to tell what the facts are here. We don't know what the sound was or where it came from, can't hear what she heard, can't see how she reacted, don't know what her past experience might have indicated to her about the sound, and can't see what she did next.

What noise did she actually hear? We don't even know that. Was it loud, quiet, a squeak, a crash, what was it? Beyond those ideas, there can be lots of "natural" noises in an empty building, and it was also a rainstorm with lightning and thunder, all adding another layer of things she might have heard or thought she was hearing.

As i said and explained, I'm not convinced the dr thought she was startled or alarmed.

Unfortunately we're incredibly far removed from knowing enough to tell what the facts are here. We don't know what the sound was or where it came from, can't hear what she heard, can't see how she reacted, don't know what her past experience might have indicated to her about the sound, and can't see what she did next.

What noise did she actually hear? We don't even know that. Was it loud, quiet, a squeak, a crash, what was it? Beyond those ideas, there can be lots of "natural" noises in an empty building, and it was also a rainstorm with lightning and thunder, all adding another layer of things she might have heard or thought she was hearing.
However, the rain I believe had stopped at that point. But the perp was there and if it was a natural sound that she heard before I doubt she would be concerned so she wouldn't look or turn to hear.

However, the rain I believe had stopped at that point. But the perp was there and if it was a natural sound that she heard before I doubt she would be concerned so she wouldn't look or turn to hear.

No. The rain was still heavy, with strong wind, thunderstorms, until about 5 am. Typically that time of year, with that type of weather, we get major weather alerts and watches. Here's some weather records.

Unfortunately now we're trying to read MB's mind, and know what she would or would not react to, and how she would react -- without knowing what the sound was or where it came from, what she heard, how she looked in her reaction, or seeing what she did next. That's way beyond my pay grade.

Last edited:
I think, any sound at 4:30h am (don't know the exact time) would be unnatural in a supposedly empty church. ;) And spooky on top.

Link:
FOX61
Warrant: Fitness coach died of head wound

Can't link, can't access.
It looks, as if all the links include an interview with the s-i-l.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member