Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now getting around to commenting... I only got to listen to probably the first 30 minutes. Was there any just bombshell information or evidence dropped?
From what I've read on various groups, the theory Klein presented seems a little wild, IMO.
Personally, I am very eagerly waiting for an update from Skip Hollandsworth. I was very pleased to see him at the presentation and ask Klein what he asked. True professional.

Just now getting around to commenting... I only got to listen to probably the first 30 minutes. Was there any just bombshell information or evidence dropped?
From what I've read on various groups, the theory Klein presented seems a little wild, IMO.

It did seem to get a little testy at moments that seem to be about accusations that local media had spread what Klein declared to be lies about Penny Meek.

A lot of information in a short period of time and I am still trying to digest it in a logical manner. One thing that stands out to me, IMO Klein's demeanor throughout his presentation was unprofessional and confrontational. I think that OAG personnel had a good idea regarding what and how Klein would present .... so they preemptively provided a portion of their investigation case files the evening before Klein's scheduled meeting. No doubt, they have a lot more case information that they will not (and should not) disclose as long as the investigation is open.

Liberty and Justice for Texas | Office of the Attorney General

I will venture to say that there may be no other case in history that has had so many twists, mysteries, and controversies throughout. Seemingly on every single issue. Deja Vu over and over again.

In view of all of the "new" information and the debate issues regarding whether Tom's death was due to suicide or foul play, IMO the revelation that stands out the most is the information regarding the fractures to the left side facial/skull base bones (maxilla, zygomatic arch, sphenoid structures). The forensic analysis report stated that the damage was due to blunt force trauma but declined to say whether the injuries were perimortem or postmortem. I am having a hard time understanding how they conclude that blunt force trauma bone fractures could be postmortem ..... just another piece that does not seem to make sense.

A lot of information in a short period of time and I am still trying to digest it in a logical manner. One thing that stands out to me, IMO Klein's demeanor throughout his presentation was unprofessional and confrontational. I think that OAG personnel had a good idea regarding what and how Klein would present .... so they preemptively provided a portion of their investigation case files the evening before Klein's scheduled meeting. No doubt, they have a lot more case information that they will not (and should not) disclose as long as the investigation is open.

Liberty and Justice for Texas | Office of the Attorney General

I will venture to say that there may be no other case in history that has had so many twists, mysteries, and controversies throughout. Seemingly on every single issue. Deja Vu over and over again.

In view of all of the "new" information and the debate issues regarding whether Tom's death was due to suicide or foul play, IMO the revelation that stands out the most is the information regarding the fractures to the left side facial/skull base bones (maxilla, zygomatic arch, sphenoid structures). The forensic analysis report stated that the damage was due to blunt force trauma but declined to say whether the injuries were perimortem or postmortem. I am having a hard time understanding how they conclude that blunt force trauma bone fractures could be postmortem ..... just another piece that does not seem to make sense.
I don’t know anything about forensics but would they be saying that this (if postmortem) was caused by animals?

Which “facts”. I don’t get how it was in good condition.

That's the golden clue for sure.

I should clarify I don't have a problem with the validity of the facts, they just lead in a direction that is problematic, especially for the discussion here. We knew a lot of this, but it is different seeing it put out over and over again across several documents going to the highest level of investigation.

THOMAS BROWN’S IPHONE
 During a search conducted in October 2017, an iPhone was located that was later confirmed through digital forensics as belonging to THOMAS BROWN.
 Phone was analyzed by the FBI, OAG Digital Forensics, and an independent digital forensics expert.
 The phone contains THOMAS BROWN’S data. This data cannot be transferred from phone to phone because it contains internal applications that are connected to the IMEI of the device purchased from Verizon Wireless.
 IMIE Number of Phone is xxxxxxxxxxx7160 and matches Verizon wireless records and box that phone came in provided by family.
 SIM card # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx3865 was activated with this iPhone and was verified by Verizon Wireless. This sim card has never been placed in another phone per Verizon Wireless.  The search for a suicide hotline occurred at 9:11 pm. This entry cannot be altered on the phone because all activity is timestamped. [Report Attached]
 The phone died at 12:23 a.m. on November 24, 2016. It was not shut off.
penny has the charging case, even though electronic data indicates the phone died in the charging case that night.
The phone never had power again until it was powered on by the FBI after it was discovered in October of 2017.
 The phone was in almost perfect condition- no scratches, nicks etc. FBI confirmed the moisture indicators had not been activated on the phone. Although it is not impossible the phone had been outside since November 24, 2016, it is not probable. The area where the phone was found had been recently mowed and had been mowed several times over the summer. Hemphill County received approximately 26 inches of rain from November 24, 2016 to October 14, 2017. [Sourced from Rainfall. Snowfall. Temperature. - A simple way to get weather history totals for your city or town..] There was also a severe ice storm on January 15, 2017.
 PENNY MEEK texted a witness in January of 2017 asking if their child knew the passcode to THOMAS BROWN’S phone and clarified this was a four-digit number. The child began asking numerous friends if they had the passcode. The circumstances surrounding the passcode created misinformation that HCSO had asked for the passcode in 2017. The investigative team has confirmed that HCSO did not ask the family for the passcode in 2017.
upload_2021-10-23_3-0-3.jpeg

The digital forensic evidence indicates that it is more likely than not the battery case was on THOMAS BROWN’S phone the night of his disappearance. The phone records show a “plug in”/charging event earlier in the evening while THOMAS BROWN was at his house. There is never an “unplug” event the rest of the evening suggesting that the “plug in” event was the result of the built-in battery charging case attached to the phone and not another type of charging source that would require an “unplug” event before relocating the phone. Further evidence to support this theory are that THOMAS BROWN’S friends stated he was religious about keeping his phone charged and that he almost always had his battery charging case on the phone.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.go...old Case Missing Person Unit Press Packet.pdf
------
In addition to the above, the doc also presents evidence that:
- Penny asking Caleb to ask around for the phone passcode made him look sus early on. None of us like Clapp very much, but he wasn't wrong in thinking Caleb asking for the passcode was weird.
- Tucker shared the iCloud account with Tom, and all of his data was intact, but Tom's was missing.
- Tom's facebook account was deleted. Penny blames Klein, Klein blames Penny(although it seems this was done prior to Klein being involved). Neither have any reasonable explanation for why they would delete the fb account of a missing person.
- Tom's instagram was never touched, assuming no one knew that password. Login • Instagram
-Penny initially claimed the fb account was hacked. If that was true, why didn't they hack his instagram, too?
- The last call to Tom's phone was Penny, not Saige as previously reported.

Not being able to objectively explore all angles, due to our attention being so forcibly directed at LE, has been the haunting of this case IMO. The above highlights issues and questions that need resolution for the question of how Tom died to get any closer to an answer.

I should clarify I don't have a problem with the validity of the facts, they just lead in a direction that is problematic, especially for the discussion here. We knew a lot of this, but it is different seeing it put out over and over again across several documents going to the highest level of investigation.

THOMAS BROWN’S IPHONE
 During a search conducted in October 2017, an iPhone was located that was later confirmed through digital forensics as belonging to THOMAS BROWN.
 Phone was analyzed by the FBI, OAG Digital Forensics, and an independent digital forensics expert.
 The phone contains THOMAS BROWN’S data. This data cannot be transferred from phone to phone because it contains internal applications that are connected to the IMEI of the device purchased from Verizon Wireless.
 IMIE Number of Phone is xxxxxxxxxxx7160 and matches Verizon wireless records and box that phone came in provided by family.
 SIM card # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx3865 was activated with this iPhone and was verified by Verizon Wireless. This sim card has never been placed in another phone per Verizon Wireless.  The search for a suicide hotline occurred at 9:11 pm. This entry cannot be altered on the phone because all activity is timestamped. [Report Attached]
penny has the charging case, even though electronic data indicates the phone died in the charging case that night.
The phone never had power again until it was powered on by the FBI after it was discovered in October of 2017.
 The phone was in almost perfect condition- no scratches, nicks etc. FBI confirmed the moisture indicators had not been activated on the phone. Although it is not impossible the phone had been outside since November 24, 2016, it is not probable. The area where the phone was found had been recently mowed and had been mowed several times over the summer. Hemphill County received approximately 26 inches of rain from November 24, 2016 to October 14, 2017. [Sourced from Rainfall. Snowfall. Temperature. - A simple way to get weather history totals for your city or town..] There was also a severe ice storm on January 15, 2017.
 PENNY MEEK texted a witness in January of 2017 asking if their child knew the passcode to THOMAS BROWN’S phone and clarified this was a four-digit number. The child began asking numerous friends if they had the passcode. The circumstances surrounding the passcode created misinformation that HCSO had asked for the passcode in 2017. The investigative team has confirmed that HCSO did not ask the family for the passcode in 2017.
View attachment 318494

The digital forensic evidence indicates that it is more likely than not the battery case was on THOMAS BROWN’S phone the night of his disappearance. The phone records show a “plug in”/charging event earlier in the evening while THOMAS BROWN was at his house. There is never an “unplug” event the rest of the evening suggesting that the “plug in” event was the result of the built-in battery charging case attached to the phone and not another type of charging source that would require an “unplug” event before relocating the phone. Further evidence to support this theory are that THOMAS BROWN’S friends stated he was religious about keeping his phone charged and that he almost always had his battery charging case on the phone.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/global/images/Cold Case Missing Person Unit Press Packet.pdf
------
- Penny asking Caleb to ask around for the phone passcode made him look sus early on. None of us like Clapp very much, but he wasn't wrong in thinking Caleb asking for the passcode was weird.
- Tucker shared the iCloud account with Tom, and all of his data was intact, but Tom's was missing.
- Tom's facebook account was deleted. Penny blames Klein, Klein blames Penny(although it seems this was done prior to Klein being involved). Neither have any reasonable explanation for why they would delete the fb account of a missing person.
- Tom's instagram was never touched, assuming no one knew that password. Login • Instagram
-Penny initially claimed the fb account was hacked. If that was true, why didn't they hack his instagram, too?

Not being able to objectively explore all angles, due to our attention being so forcibly directed at LE, has been the haunting of this case IMO. The above highlights issues and questions that need resolution for the question of how Tom died to get any closer to an answer.
Just quickly, one response in regards to the facebook. Last night Klein said that he told Penny to suspend the facebook. I think that is the term he used. Basically, turn it off as we likley all know you can do. She supposedly did that, according to Klein, and then there was some facebook update (I am pretty sure he said facebook not phone) and that update deleted the account. It supposedly wasn't intentionally deleted.

THOMAS BROWN’S IPHONE
View attachment 318494

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/global/images/Cold Case Missing Person Unit Press Packet.pdf
------

Admittedly, electronics are somewhat of a mystery to me (just glad that they work!). However, if the phone was on the charging case all evening, then why would the phone suddenly die at 12:23am? How would that be possible if it was charging all evening?

So what are your thoughts on the updates on the Thomas Brown case? Again as I have always thought the evidence shows that whatever happened to him most likely happened at home and not by Sheriff Lewis or by anything Klein had to offer.

Just quickly, one response in regards to the facebook. Last night Klein said that he told Penny to suspend the facebook. I think that is the term he used. Basically, turn it off as we likley all know you can do. She supposedly did that, according to Klein, and then there was some facebook update (I am pretty sure he said facebook not phone) and that update deleted the account. It supposedly wasn't intentionally deleted.
that isn't possible though unless facebook suffered some data loss which would have hit the news. i think it is more likely she deleted the account, intentionally or no (it is possible she was confused by the options and chose delete) if it was facebook's fault, they could have easily restored the account any time. It still doesn't explain why - why would klein ask her to do that? if he is worth his salt he should know you shouldnt touch the accounts of missing people, not to mention if tom was still alive, he might have logged in or tried to use fb to contact someone. it just doesnt make sense and is too shady a coincidnce with the timing of the wiped icloud data.

that isn't possible though unless facebook suffered some data loss which would have hit the news. i think it is more likely she deleted the account, intentionally or no (it is possible she was confused by the options and chose delete) if it was facebook's fault, they could have easily restored the account any time. It still doesn't explain why - why would klein ask her to do that? if he is worth his salt he should know you shouldnt touch the accounts of missing people, not to mention if tom was still alive, he might have logged in or tried to use fb to contact someone. it just doesnt make sense and is too shady a coincidnce with the timing of the wiped icloud data.
From the way I am understanding it they are each saying the other deleted the account

So what are your thoughts on the updates on the Thomas Brown case? Again as I have always thought the evidence shows that whatever happened to him most likely happened at home and not by Sheriff Lewis or by anything Klein had to offer.
What evidence are you referring to?

What evidence are you referring to?
The battery charger on the phone and deleted information from phone account. The planted phone. The inconsistencies in the statements and interviews. The failed lie detector tests. The made up or false luminol tests. The family history of suicide and mental problems. The firstborn child. On and on but I’m sure you get it.

@nikkee just curious if you have thoughts on why the family would go through all this - moving evidence, (including the remains), the very public and surely costly battle with LE, so on, if something did happen at home? I'm not being facetious because I agree there are a lot of weird things that certainly make some of the family behaviors... searching for the right word... "fishy?" At the very least "curious." But I struggle with the why I guess. I mean if they were covering a suicide as most of LE seems to imply - it sure seems messier than a suicide would have been, and each step drawn waaaaaay out.
I think several of the things you mentioned can be easily explained too - like reacting to being asked if you moved your son's corpse in such a way that it set off the lie detector. I have a High School senior right now and just a tiny thought in the direction of any of this makes me physically ill!
I can also imagine accidentally screwing up and deleting the FB page without even realizing it too if a person is not tech savvy. PM and MK are both right on the cusp of the age group where what you understand about social media/the internet/computers in general is hit or miss. I'm pretty literate, but oh my lands, some of my friends are seriously challenged!

The phone charging case is puzzling for sure. Has anyone ever heard any kind of explanation? Like he had 2, or it was in the Durango when that was found?
I also wondered if it's possible that PM wanted TB's code because either A. Can you access an iCloud account with that? (I'm an Android user so I don’t know) or B. With AT&T, if we want to talk to them about our account by phone, we have to give a 4 digit PIN. Assuming that is industry standard, could she have been trying to get info from Verizon about the phone and actually needed the account PIN rather than his pass code - and just didn't know they were different?

What are the chances that the family is involved and LE just happened to this up some much on every level? Seriously. What are the odds that the family commit the perfect crime + LE goes out of their way to screw this investigation up so that no one will ever be charged? Oh, and the sheriff is the only person who outright failed the polygraph?

Why would Chris Jones lie? By going on record that he was being paid to play football, he risks losing the only real accomplishment in his life - winning at football. Whats in it for him to lie?

Yeah. I am firmly in the 'family did not kill up Tom' camp. I do not know who killed Tom (I have a good guess but I won't say who) but I do think LE went out of their way to cover up the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member