Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@nikkee just curious if you have thoughts on why the family would go through all this - moving evidence, (including the remains), the very public and surely costly battle with LE, so on, if something did happen at home? I'm not being facetious because I agree there are a lot of weird things that certainly make some of the family behaviors... searching for the right word... "fishy?" At the very least "curious." But I struggle with the why I guess. I mean if they were covering a suicide as most of LE seems to imply - it sure seems messier than a suicide would have been, and each step drawn waaaaaay out.
I think several of the things you mentioned can be easily explained too - like reacting to being asked if you moved your son's corpse in such a way that it set off the lie detector. I have a High School senior right now and just a tiny thought in the direction of any of this makes me physically ill!
I can also imagine accidentally screwing up and deleting the FB page without even realizing it too if a person is not tech savvy. PM and MK are both right on the cusp of the age group where what you understand about social media/the internet/computers in general is hit or miss. I'm pretty literate, but oh my lands, some of my friends are seriously challenged!

The phone charging case is puzzling for sure. Has anyone ever heard any kind of explanation? Like he had 2, or it was in the Durango when that was found?
I also wondered if it's possible that PM wanted TB's code because either A. Can you access an iCloud account with that? (I'm an Android user so I don’t know) or B. With AT&T, if we want to talk to them about our account by phone, we have to give a 4 digit PIN. Assuming that is industry standard, could she have been trying to get info from Verizon about the phone and actually needed the account PIN rather than his pass code - and just didn't know they were different?

No. With an iPhone, you can only access the iPhone with the 4 digit code. To access the iCloud account online, you would need a separate password (that includes upper and lower case, numbers and punctuation and it has to be at least 8 characters long). To get information from a cellphone company (atleast from Sprint) you will need to answer a secret question that only we would know (in our case, we have to give husbands moms last name and name the elementary school I went to).

The battery charger on the phone and deleted information from phone account. The planted phone. The inconsistencies in the statements and interviews. The failed lie detector tests. The made up or false luminol tests. The family history of suicide and mental problems. The firstborn child. On and on but I’m sure you get it.

Can you link a MSM about this? I know what I have heard locally that is rumor. I would like to see where you've read about this.

I am curious about the iCloud information. Two people cannot have the same account and have separate things deleted. Meaning, I can share my iCloud with my husband, but its just one account. There can't be a 'Jelly Bean Account' and a 'Jelly Bean Hubs' account. Its just one account. So how could they share an account and how could only Tom's information only be deleted?

upload_2021-10-24_15-15-34.png

The affidavit regarding messages sent from the girl to Tom’s phone for the period November 24, 2017 through October 1, 2017 is one of the portions of the OAG information packet that I am having difficulty understanding the point or context. For instance:
  • “The messages were blue from November 24, 2016 through December 25, 2016, indicating the messages were iMessages. On January 4, 2017 the messages turned green indicating the messages were now being sent as SMS messages.”
(the only significance that I see regarding “blue to green” is that the girl sending the messages purchased a non-Apple phone or maybe received a non-Apple phone as a Christmas gift. Simply replaced her phone.)
  • “These messages from <name> do not appear in the data download from BROWN’S phone or in the records from Verizon Wireless.”
(It seems logical to me that the records would not appear in the data download from Tom’s phone or in the Verizon records because the phone was turned off/unpowered for the entire period in question. If the phone is off, the messages cannot reach it.)
  • “It is the affiant’s belief that either the sim card was removed from BROWN’S phone and inserted into another phone to read text messages, or the messages were being accessed through the iCloud account associated with BROWN’S phone.”
(The SIM cards in Apple devices are unique from other brands in that the SIM cards contain only account data that is related to identity such as name, billing address, phone number, etc. Apple SIM cards do not store texts, photos, email, etc. All of that type of data is stored within the phone’s main memory area, not on the SIM.
In order to access an iCloud account from another device or a Windows computer, an individual must know the iCloud account User ID and Password. Apple sends a 6 digit code to the phone as a 2nd level security verification. Therefor they probably retain logs that document access.)

However, information elsewhere within the AG/DA information packet stated that 1.) Verizon verified that the SIM card from Tom’s phone had never been placed in another phone, and 2.) Tucker had much data on the iCloud account that he shared with Tom but Tom reportedly had very little information stored on the iCloud server.

I might note here that use of the iCloud storage is optional and configurable. Personally, I do not store any information on iCloud. Instead, I periodically backup/restore my iPhone to/from a Windows computer through the iTunes application. Were the "settings" within Tom's phone configured to automatically back up data to iCloud? That would be interesting to know.

All of this post is only my observations and/or opinion while I am trying to understand what is the significance, if any, of much of this information. Maybe I am missing some point but it just appears to me that some of the information is irrelevant or contradicts other statements with the document. IMO.

After reading the full OAG report I can't help but feel like again they focused most of the investigation on the Meeks over what seems like trivial points. Examples of info provided as possible evidence of suicide and a cover up that I take issue with:

• I am 99% sure @OutWest is correct that those messages would not appear on the data download of TB's phone if it was not turned on. I've seen that on phone records when a phone on my account was recently replaced by the cellular carrier because it was too outdated. They sent me a new phone to replace the old one used by my Mom who lives in a different household. I started trying to reach my Mom to let her know not knowing they deactivated the old sim card the day I received the new phone with a new sim card. I was unsure why she hadn't answered by the next day and checked my account and saw none of my calls or texts had been received. So, that is probably why it wasn't on his download.
  • After seeing the Meeks use AT&T I have more reason to believe that PM was hoping to get info from the carrier using the pass code because she thought it was the same as the 4 digit PIN you need to talk to an account rep on the phone (because again, that's what AT&T requires). I can't see why else she would wait until January to ask people if they knew it, if she had the phone the whole time.
  • I think there has to be an explanation on the case being in her possession too, if it is. (The OAG report states it hasn't been produced) I would like to know whether the data would show an "unplugging event" if the backup battery in the case is depleted. And, as the evidence pics show, TB used an auxiliary cord to plug his phone in to the stereo of his Durango. It seems plausible that he may have removed the cover to plug that in to listen to those songs his friends said he was so in to. If so, the case could have been left in the car and found when the family got it back.
  • They included a note that GP felt like TB's brother discouraged looking down the road where the Durango was found a few hours later - which casts suspicion on the brother. It makes no sense to imply he was trying to keep GP from finding it when we know by the survalience video that the Durango wasn't there yet.
  • The injuries to the skull are included as potential evidence in all 3 scenarios presented. I can understand how blunt force trauma knocking out teeth and fracturing a couple of places just above the ear "could be" indicative of homicide or accidental death - but not how they could be a possible indication of suicide if, as the ME said, they would not have been caused by a bullet and were not life-ending type injuries. They surely would have been extremely painful. How and why would a person knock out their own teeth and fracture their skull before doing something else to end their life?
  • And then finally is the comment by the OAG that there is additional evidence that they are not revealing. And the fact they sure didn't mention that the family had been cleared as they did for others despite obviously obtaining the cellular records that were requested. You would think that had the records shown any of the things they said they were looking for, the OAG would have charged the Meeks with tampering. Taken together, it kind of feels like a threat towards the family to stop pushing to me.

Last edited:
After reading the full OAG report I can't help but feel like again they focused most of the investigation on the Meeks over what seems like trivial points. Examples of info provided as possible evidence of suicide and a cover up that I take issue with:

• I am 99% sure @OutWest is correct that those messages would not appear on the data download of TB's phone if it was not turned on. I've seen that on phone records when a phone on my account was recently replaced by the cellular carrier because it was too outdated. They sent me a new phone to replace the old one used by my Mom who lives in a different household. I started trying to reach my Mom to let her know not knowing they deactivated the old sim card the day I received the new phone with a new sim card. I was unsure why she hadn't answered by the next day and checked my account and saw none of my calls or texts had been received. So, that is probably why it wasn't on his download.
  • After seeing the Meeks use AT&T I have more reason to believe that PM was hoping to get info from the carrier using the pass code because she thought it was the same as the 4 digit PIN you need to talk to an account rep on the phone (because again, that's what AT&T requires). I can't see why else she would wait until January to ask people if they knew it, if she had the phone the whole time.
  • I think there has to be an explanation on the case being in her possession too, if it is. (The OAG report states it hasn't been produced) I would like to know whether the data would show an "unplugging event" if the backup battery in the case is depleted. And, as the evidence pics show, TB used an auxiliary cord to plug his phone in to the stereo of his Durango. It seems plausible that he may have removed the cover to plug that in to listen to those songs his friends said he was so in to. If so, the case could have been left in the car and found when the family got it back.
  • They included a note that GP felt like TB's brother discouraged looking down the road where the Durango was found a few hours later - which casts suspicion on the brother. It makes no sense to imply he was trying to keep GP from finding it when we know by the survalience video that the Durango wasn't there yet.
  • The injuries to the skull are included as potential evidence in all 3 scenarios presented. I can understand how blunt force trauma knocking out teeth and fracturing a couple of places just above the ear "could be" indicative of homicide or accidental death - but not how they could be a possible indication of suicide if, as the ME said, they would not have been caused by a bullet and were not life-ending type injuries. They surely would have been extremely painful. How and why would a person knock out their own teeth and fracture their skull before doing something else to end their life?
  • And then finally is the comment by the OAG that there is additional evidence that they are not revealing. And the fact they sure didn't mention that the family had been cleared as they did for others despite obviously obtaining the cellular records that were requested. You would think that had the records shown any of the things they said they were looking for, the OAG would have charged the Meeks with tampering. Taken together, it kind of feels like a threat towards the family to stop pushing to me.

I agree with the points that you make. One thing that I find very curious is that the AG/DA synopsis listed the blunt force trauma also in the "Suicide column", therefor indicating such as Physical Evidence of suicide! I simply cannot understand that. Also, regarding perimortem vs. postmortem injury the report states, "Evidence of postmortem scavenging noted though it is unlikely that scavenging caused this injury". So, in my mind, I have to wonder if the reason is to divert attention away from criminal act/homicide.

Overall, I am convinced that OAG investigators have been very extensive in their investigation. I just question a few points regarding their logic involving the interpretation of some evidence. As stated in the last paragraph of the AG/DA synopsis, the document is only a portion of the evidence and should not be viewed as reflecting all evidence in the case. There have been 150 search warrants, 71 individuals contacted, 9 searches, and 9 polygraphs conducted. Among those individuals not addressed in the information packet in regard to information warrants or polygraphs are Deputy Pyne Greggory, CJ, MC, or the friend who was with TB at the house and early part of the initial search.

Sorry in advance but this is a tad graphic. If it makes you uncomfortable, don't read!

I'm just spouting out of my head here but maybe the brother found TB's truck down the lane and then found TB hanging from a tree that night before Thanksgiving.

Bro takes the truck to the school, and leaves it. Maybe he then walked home to tell the family about TB. Maybe it was then a cover up but why? Or maybe bro didn't want to tell his mom what he found.
It would have been easier for his Mom thinking he disappeared rather than suicide...

I wonder, if TB was hanging from a tree, if the rope broke and TB's decomposed body fell to the ground breaking the teeth and banging the skull.

I think what I'm trying to imagine here is that no one was directly involved in TB's death. That it was a cover up by bro to shield his family from something so horrible. And once things got so out of hand, retraction and the truth became impossible.

Just thinking outside the box and all are figments of my imagination.

Edited to reflect that I've been getting Pyne Greggory's name/initials backward. @Razz I don't think the brother could be the one to park the Durango at the water treatment plant because the survalience video shows it pulling into the gate at 5:56am, the same time as PG stated he dropped Tucker off at home. That was my point about why PG and the investigator who took his statement thought it was suspicious that Tucker supposedly was purposely trying to keep GP from checking the area when they noticed the gate that was normally closed and locked was open that morning. The various warrants for PM, CM, and Tucker's phones basically say that LE suspected CM moved the Durango because they knew for sure where PM and Tucker were at the time the Durango is seen entertaining that gate. They were not as sure where CM was.

Last edited:
Regarding the issues involving the Apple 6s phone .......

Early Apple 6s phones had some significant problems with the batteries that eventually resulted in a recall. The problem was that the phone would suddenly power down (turn off) even though there was sufficient battery charge remaining. Also, there was an issue with the battery charge lasting only several hours in some cases. During that period I had an Apple 6s that exhibited both of those problems. I was lucky to live close to an Apple Store and was able to get the problem addressed (battery replaced) at no charge. For folks who were not close to an Apple store, the phone had to be shipped to an Apple Service Center .... therefor being without a phone for 3-4 weeks. Tom may have purchased the case charger in an attempt to circumvent the 6s battery problem.

My points are:
1. If Tom's phone inadvertently powered down while a charger was connected at home, it would not log a "charger disconnect" event.
2. If Tom's phone died due to "low battery" at 12:23 am it may have been due to a battery defect, which may indicate that the case charger was not attached at that time.
Apple no longer has information on their support site regarding the 6s recall because the recall has long expired. However, I was able to find some information. SEE ATTACHED.

upload_2021-10-25_15-40-16.jpeg

Regarding the issues involving the Apple 6s phone .......

Early Apple 6s phones had some significant problems with the batteries that eventually resulted in a recall. The problem was that the phone would suddenly power down (turn off) even though there was sufficient battery charge remaining. Also, there was an issue with the battery charge lasting only several hours in some cases. During that period I had an Apple 6s that exhibited both of those problems. I was lucky to live close to an Apple Store and was able to get the problem addressed (battery replaced) at no charge. For folks who were not close to an Apple store, the phone had to be shipped to an Apple Service Center .... therefor being without a phone for 3-4 weeks. Tom may have purchased the case charger in an attempt to circumvent the 6s battery problem.

My points are:
1. If Tom's phone inadvertently powered down while a charger was connected at home, it would not log a "charger disconnect" event.
2. If Tom's phone died due to "low battery" at 12:23 am it may have been due to a battery defect, which may indicate that the case charger was not attached at that time.
Apple no longer has information on their support site regarding the 6s recall because the recall has long expired. However, I was able to find some information. SEE ATTACHED.

View attachment 318869
That still doesn't explain how the charging case was on Tom's phone that evening (according to all of his friends) but was later in possession of his parents, when Tom supposedly had not returned home.

That still doesn't explain how the charging case was on Tom's phone that evening (according to all of his friends) but was later in possession of his parents, when Tom supposedly had not returned home.

That is correct ..... assuming that the friends were correct and assuming that the large battery on the case charger also had a dead charge or malfunction.

As per TedMac's link in breaking news..
Oct 20 2021 rbbm
Texas forms new Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit
''(The Center Square) – The Texas Attorney General’s Office has created a new Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit to support law enforcement agencies investigating unsolved crimes.

The unit will work with local police, sheriffs and Texas Rangers to help solve homicides, missing persons, and other cases related to identifying missing persons using forensic genealogy.''

''The unit’s first case came from a request made by the Hemphill County Sheriff’s Office, which was looking for missing high school senior Thomas Brown of Canadian, Texas, in 2016.

Thomas, his high school’s class president and a state champion football player, went missing the day before Thanksgiving five years ago. The Hemphill County Sheriff’s Office couldn’t find him and his family hired a private investigator.

Investigators with the Texas Attorney General’s Office reviewed Thomas’s case in 2018 and his remains were found in January 2019. Investigators announced there was no foul play in his death, but because the cause of death couldn’t be determined, the investigation was suspended until any new, credible evidence could be presented. Likewise, his case wasn’t brought before a grand jury, even though it remains a “questionable death investigation.” His remains are still stored in a lab as evidence.

The AG’s office is asking any member of the public with information about the death of Thomas – and others who are either missing or their deaths are unsolved – to come forward.''

Interestingly, that article from "The Center Square," incorrectly states what the OAG said about the TB case. They did not "announce there was no foul play," they said,
"As of today, this case
remains a questionable death investigation without sufficient evidence to conclude that Tom Brown’s death was
attributed to a criminal act, an accidental death, or a suicide."

So today I'm stuck on TB's Backpack being found where it was and in the condition it was. I can't come up with a logical reason to go along with any of the theories suggested by LE, PK, or even to go along with any of the crazy rumors that are mentioned in various news stories on this case.
I can't think of why TB would have tried to take his school laptop and books with him if he were making his way to a destination where he wanted to ultimately end his life. But, then I also can't fathom why he'd park where his Durango was to trek to Marvin Lake to end his life either. I also can't see how anyone would think leaving it intact, upright, along the same road TB's remains were ultimately found off of, and noticeable enough that an electric line worker would see it, was an effective way of "getting rid of incriminating evidence."
I'm only able to create 2 scenarios in my head for why it was there.
1. I wonder if originally someone did just toss it out of a car window and a road maintenance crew worker moved it to the other side of the fence not wanting to mow over it? It would have to mean said worker never heard about the case and backpack being found or for some other reason hasn't come forward. But that is entirely possible.
2. My only other thought is that it was some kind of weird/sick riddle left by someone who had involvement in TB's death. Like, "figure this clue out," kind of thing.
Anyone else have a theory?

Last edited:
So today I'm stuck on TB's Backpack being found where it was and in the condition it was. I can't come up with a logical reason to go along with any of the theories suggested by LE, PK, or even to go along with any of the crazy rumors that are mentioned in various news stories on this case.
I can't think of why TB would have tried to take his school laptop and books with him if he were making his way to a destination where he wanted to ultimately end his life. But, then I also can't fathom why he'd park where his Durango was to trek to Marvin Lake to end his life either. I also can't see how anyone would think leaving it intact, upright, along the same road TB's remains were ultimately found off of, and noticeable enough that an electric line worker would see it, was an effective way of "getting rid of incriminating evidence."
I'm only able to create 2 scenarios in my head for why it was there.
1. I wonder if originally someone did just toss it out of a car window and a road maintenance crew worker moved it to the other side of the fence not wanting to mow over it? It would have to mean said worker never heard about the case and backpack being found or for some other reason hasn't come forward. But that is entirely possible.
2. My only other thought is that it was some kind of weird/sick riddle left by someone who had involvement in TB's death. Like, "figure this clue out," kind of thing.
Anyone else have a theory?

Good points. About the parked Durango ...... I can't imagine a person parking a vehicle that was in good running condition with 3/4 tank of fuel then walking 10 miles in the opposite direction of town on a dark 37 degree morning .... with only a light sweatshirt and no shoes. Did not happen.

The location where the backpack was found was inside the fence near an unlocked gate area on the Gene Howe Wildlife Refuge. It is not the main entrance to the refuge but is an infrequently used "side access gate". Knowing that the popular Lake Marvin area would likely be searched to some extent during the night, the remote far west end of the Gene Howe would be an excellent place to drive in to lay low until initial searches subsided. Whoever was driving the vehicle was in possession of a 3,000 pound piece of evidence that was painted red. Just a thought.
upload_2021-10-26_17-15-46.jpeg

Good points. About the parked Durango ...... I can't imagine a person parking a vehicle that was in good running condition with 3/4 tank of fuel then walking 10 miles in the opposite direction of town on a dark 37 degree morning .... with only a light sweatshirt and no shoes. Did not happen.

The location where the backpack was found was inside the fence near an unlocked gate area on the Gene Howe Wildlife Refuge. It is not the main entrance to the refuge but is an infrequently used "side access gate". Knowing that the popular Lake Marvin area would likely be searched to some extent during the night, the remote far west end of the Gene Howe would be an excellent place to drive in to lay low until initial searches subsided. Whoever was driving the vehicle was in possession of a 3,000 pound piece of evidence that was painted red. Just a thought.
View attachment 319029
Exactly. That being said, why remove the backpack with schoolbooks and a school issued laptop (probably not worth stealing) from that 3,000 lb piece of evidence at all? Makes me wonder if there could have been something else in it at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadstrangepod