TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was an active shooter "in the area" the students would not have been moved to another location. They would have been in a shelter-in-place/lockdown mode. Seems there are many unanswered questions and unresolved issues at the moment, which continue to change from moment to moment.

There was initially a shooter in the area when he first emerged from the crashed truck and was not yet inside the building. Perhaps that was how the first warning was perceived. Did no one see him running for the school? And check to be sure all doors and windows were secure? Horrible to feel secure in your building only to have an armed intruder come barging into your classroom.

He entered the building by an unlocked door. How about the classroom? Did he shoot his way in or was that also unlocked? Sadly, we teachers do become complacent at times.

In the high school where I teach, we cannot even leave our classroom doors propped open. If, in fact we do for even a moment, the SO's pass by and close them. Doors are always locked as well.

I suspect the classroom door was not locked. Only because I read an account from a teacher in another classroom who said that she rushed to lock their classroom door when she heard the shooting start.

She said she heard the unmistakable sound of gunshots erupt as her students were watching a Disney movie Tuesday to celebrate the last week of class when she heard gunfire erupt down the hall.

The teacher quickly shouted for her students to hide under their desks and sprinted to lock the classroom door.

If there was an active shooter "in the area" the students would not have been moved to another location. They would have been in a shelter-in-place/lockdown mode. Seems there are many unanswered questions and unresolved issues at the moment, which continue to change from moment to moment.

There was initially a shooter in the area when he first emerged from the crashed truck and was not yet inside the building. Perhaps that was how the first warning was perceived. Did no one see him running for the school? And check to be sure all doors and windows were secure? Horrible to feel secure in your building only to have an armed intruder come barging into your classroom.

He entered the building by an unlocked door. How about the classroom? Did he shoot his way in or was that also unlocked? Sadly, we teachers do become complacent at times.

In the high school where I teach, we cannot even leave our classroom doors propped open. If, in fact we do for even a moment, the SO's pass by and close them. Doors are always locked as well.
I was following it on local news sites (online, not TV) since I live in San Antonio.
It almost sounded like run of the mill stuff that happens and a school happens to be nearby.
My daughter's school was placed on lock down when the local credit union was robbed, so I thought it was a similar situation at first.

All doors in public schools have panic bars on them. Exiting the building is not a problem.
Exactly. I am able to exit a back hallway door into the teacher's parking lot by simply pushing the bar. But to get back inside, I need a wafer that unlocks the door for a few seconds. Or I'd need to go around the the front/main entrance and be buzzed in by security.

I admit I've purposefully not read everything on this case because I was too tramatized. However, I would like to understand how he could afford to buy two AK rifles and a handgun. These weapons are very expensive around $1500 to $2000 each. I read that he was unemployed. So, how on earth did he buy these weapons? I know I may have missed the answer but please help me here with the answer. thanks very much.
He worked 11am to 4/5pm, 5 days a week.
Minimum wage at Wendy’s.

Did he pay his own phone bill? Contribute to the bills since the family was struggling financially? Buy his own clothes?

Shoot his grandmother in the FACE multiple times over WiFi??

IF the good guys with the guns won't go into a situation and IF the fortification of schools is tooo expensive and IF we don't have mental health care (although this killer never had mental health issues as far as we know right now, what is left to do?
This is an excellent argument for personal concealed carry. LE has no legal obligation to act. Ultimately, it is the individual who is responsible for their own protection.

I don't see why a teacher couldn't simply unlock a classroom door in case a fire evacuation is needed. JMO.
Classroom doors lock from the outside, but can be opened from the inside. The handle from the inside opens the door regardless of the door being locked or unlocked from the outside.

I'm really hating all this MSM fuel being thrown on a fire that's already burning tall. I'm also hating the stories coming out prior to the authors having all the facts of what really occurred on the scene. I think it's hurting more than helping and serves only to incite more stress and anxiety in this tragic situation.

For example, at first glance of the school footprint, I see a facility typical of what you'd expect in a rural district with few resources -- several prefab buildings where it's not easy to determine which are joined and at what location. I see a situation where law enforcement from numerous surrounding counties responded to the scene -- most likely before truly comprehending they'd be facing approximately 600 students interspersed within these walls-- all needing rescue, emergency treatment, and/or evacuation. :eek:

I trust when all is said and done, we will come to understand how the action by first responders helped limit the death toll to 21, and saved the lives of the 18 injured (almost half the fatality count) inside the same co-taught 4th-grade classrooms of Ms. Garcia and Ms. Mireles, occupied by the shooter.

While I understand the emotional reaction of the 2nd and 3rd graders' mother, her action to jump the fence and storm her kid's classrooms easily could have jeopardized the lives and safety of others -- including herself. We know by the grades of her children, that they were not in danger, and I can see where her actions most likely caused much pain and fear to the students that were left behind.

IMO, this is exactly why parents are directed to wait and collect their children at the designated location. And this was known to the parents of Robb Elementary if they read the emergency drill info provided to them. Fortunately, even if the parents don't, students generally recall what they practice during the drills-- including that their parents will be waiting for them at the designated location (i.e., civic square) nearby.

From the Robb Elementary Schol website -- Student Parent Handout, Classroom Poster, and Reunification info practiced by the students as recent as March 2022.

While considering some of the posts, some of more recent thinking has moved away from the shelter in place idea. Of course, each school will differ, but many I know of have given the decision making to shelter in place, or flee the classroom/building, to the teacher. Obviously, there are times when escape is preferable.

Last edited:
What we know so far about the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas

The 18-year-old gunman, Salvador Ramos, had attended Uvalde High School, which had its graduation day set for this coming Friday. At some point, however, he had dropped out, officials said.

Did no one in his family help him find a solution to this problem? Such as getting his GED?

This is an excellent argument for personal concealed carry. LE has no legal obligation to act. Ultimately, it is the individual who is responsible for their own protection.

Though little children cannot conceal carry, or carry at all. We tell them to go to a police officer for help, if they need help and we are not around.

One teacher's weapon. 30+ children. Someone(s) is going to die before the teacher pulls their weapon, and it could be the teacher (then the students) if teachers can carry guns in the classroom and that is widely known.

It might not change the situation at all.

imo

Who protects children too young to hold a gun?
You do. That's what concealed carry is all about. I've read a lot of comments on this site, but truth be told, the killer in a situation like this only stops when they run out of ammo, the firearm jams, they decide to commit suicide, they sit down and quit, or they are killed by someone else, often times by a responding individual with a gun.

No LE, or concealed carry, or legislation, is effective in stopping all crime, and/or murders. But for me, having been part of a sweep team in a public school, trained to sweep the hallways in the event of an active shooter in the building, I'd rather be armed in that situation, than not.

Armed intruder in the building. All classrooms doors to be locked. Some kids possibly stuck in hallways, bathrooms, etc. Sweep teams designated to sweep through the building, rounding up students, getting them out of harms way if possible. We even had local LE participate in trainings.

One thing I read on here, indeed, confusion can arise as to who's who. Upon sight of LE, sweep team members were trained to hit the floor flat out with hands on head so LE knew. We all had radios, and other details too numerous to mention.

I can assure you it was a detail that none of us cherished.

One other item I might add. Not to be too pesky, as I don't want to over do my welcome. But our school actually had several United States Military, combat veterans, as teachers. There are people in schools who are highly trained, and/or willing to be trained.

When an armed intruder enters a building, as this killer Ramos did, armed as he was, that intruder owns that building until something, or someone, stops him. Most of the time it is LE or someone else that shoots him dead, or suicide.

Washington can pass legislation relative to firearms purchases, banning types of firearms, etc. etc. But with some 400 million guns in America, it's truly not difficult to get your hands on one, if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi