TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a real problem with the children who survived being interviewed by the media so soon after what they experienced. <modsnip>. it just bothers me-- in order to answer those questions, they have to re-live what they just experienced, while at the same time distancing themselves from the experience in order to answer those questions.
I question that, too. As long as there is no pressure on the child, I'm ok with a limited interview that doesn't force any responses.

I was impressed with the young man whose interview was posted here. As long as he wasn't coerced in any way, it might help him to speak out.

I does seem awfully soon. Great care should be taken.

I wouldn't want the children to get caught in the public crossfire of anger and opinions about the LE response. That would be horrible.

JMO

Not just "where was the principal", but "where was the security guard"? I've heard reports he was "off site" driving "a vehicle" somewhere. Was he at lunch? Doing personal business? Wherever he was, he wasn't doing his job. He was the only hope. Unless the school admins could have locked down faster, but now it looks like the shooter entered the school very rapidly, within 1 to 2 minutes after he started shooting outside the school
I posted this somewhere around page 31: It is common for elementary schools to be served by the full-time middle and high school SROs (what you're calling a "security guard"), rather than having a full-time SRO for each building. In rural and suburban areas, it is not common for elementary schools to have their own dedicated SROs. If there is an SRO at the elementary level only, that person would still likely be split between 2-8+ elementary buildings, depending on the district size.

In general: I’m baffled. A teacher (and possibly school administration?) appears to know there is an active shooter across the street and/or shooting at the school building….and that teacher goes outside to call 911, rather than alerting building administration and staff to a lockdown situation. To be clear, the moment an individual with a firearm was observed to be in the vicinity of the school, the school should have been in strict lock-in/lockdown protocols. That should have happened at least at the same time as when the district SRO received information about the threat. Lockdown/lock-in protocol means all exterior and interior doors are locked; all windows are covered; no one leaves their rooms; no one leaves the building; no one goes into rooms; no one enters the building. EVERYONE is rooted in place. No one is going to a back door to call 911.

Since it appears that classroom doors were not locked before the shooter used the teacher's propped-open back door to gain entry, it appears appropriate lock-in/lockdown protocols were not put in place at the time the threat was perceived and before the shooter gained entry. With the information known so far (recognizing it appears to be ever-changing in this matter), it appears as though there were significant procedural failures here. And it appears, from information known so far, that it was preventable with the policies and security procedures that had been practiced and drilled and that are practiced/drilled by every school in the country. (The same applies to the Michigan school shooter/Crumbley case. That school's administration did not appear to follow nationally known procedures/policies when the parents refused to take their high risk kid to a treatment center. I only say this, because the armchair quarterbacking on how to make schools 100% safe isn't any more helpful than debating gun control in this thread, IMO. Our hard-learned preventative policies and procedures work when they are followed, just as airplanes generally don't crash when pilots and ATCs follow their hard-learned policies and procedures.)

MOO. IMO.

Reading this" "decided to wait to go in" makes me want to scream, to cry ----to scream--- and cry some more. OMG--- what can one say about the lack of action on the part of the police? that they were negligent? that doesn't even get it-- not using one brain cell to carry out their duty in a situation that demanded IMMEDIATE ACTION---
Respectfully, the police were outgunned and not wearing body armor.

If the officers had rushed in and been immediately picked off by the gunman it wouldn’t have helped the situation.

About the propped door (correct me if i’m wrong) - At the PC I understood they had it on video. There was an accident near the school, the teacher propped the door and went out to her vehicle to get her cellphone (probably with the intention of going back in?)

A Border Patrol tactical team was ordered to hold back before confronting the gunman.

Border Patrol officers outside Robb Elementary School on Tuesday.

Border Patrol officers outside Robb Elementary School on Tuesday.Credit...Pete Luna/Uvalde Leader-News

Border Patrol officers outside Robb Elementary School on Tuesday.

When specially equipped federal immigration agents arrived at the elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, the local police at the scene would not allow them to go after the gunman who had opened fire on students inside the school, according to two officials briefed on the situation.

The agents from Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrived at some point between 12 p.m. and 12:10 p.m., according to the officials — far earlier than previously known. But they did not breach the adjoining classrooms of the school where the gunman had locked himself in until a little before 1 p.m. Members of the federal tactical team killed the gunman.

The officials said that members of the Uvalde Police Department kept the federal agents from going in sooner.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...ed-to-hold-back-before-confronting-the-gunman

About the propped door (correct me if i’m wrong) - At the PC I understood they had it on video. There was an accident near the school, the teacher propped the door and went out to her vehicle to get her cellphone (probably with the intention of going back in?)s
Ya know - I have prayed for this woman ever since LE confirmed he entered through an unlocked door. I thought on this and realized that it could have been the principal - it was an awards ceremony day and those are hectic and chaotic anyway. That door being on a parking lot could have been left open to let parents in and out. But now finding out a teacher propped it open...........that poor poor woman.......

I will continue to pray for her and hope she gets the help she is so desperately going to need.

Respectfully, the police were outgunned and not wearing body armor.

If the officers had rushed in and been immediately picked off by the gunman it wouldn’t have helped the situation.

See my post below. You can bet the tactical team had plenty of weapons and were wearing body armor. Yet Uvalde PD stopped them from going in.

WHY? WHY?

Last edited:
I feel for the teacher who left the door propped open. I can’t imagine what is going through their head right now. Hopefully they are surrounded by loving family.

The details coming out are maddening. These poor, poor people.

With the information we have now it appears that several things contributed to the tragedy. Some of these things might have prevented it.

A door propped open, unlocked doors, a school resource officer not at his post. Just to name a few.

Hopefully the investigation will contribute information to help prevent school shooting tragedies in the future.

“A video, posted to a parent’s Facebook account and reviewed by The Washington Post, shows that families waiting outside Robb Elementary School were frustrated by the police response and wanted to attempt to enter the building themselves”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/26/texas-school-shooting-uvalde-victims-live-updates/

Last edited by a moderator:

• A mother of two students at Robb Elementary jumped a fence and rescued her kids during the shooting.
  • She told The Wall Street Journal law enforcement was "doing nothing," as the shooter was inside.
  • The mother was handcuffed before she ran into the school. When she was released she sprinted in.
A Texas mother of two students at Robb Elementary School pushed past a police line and jumped a fence, rescuing her two children during Tuesday's mass shooting in Uvalde, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Last edited by a moderator:
“A video, posted to a parent’s Facebook account and reviewed by The Washington Post, shows that families waiting outside Robb Elementary School were frustrated by the police response and wanted to attempt to enter the building themselves”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/26/texas-school-shooting-uvalde-victims-live-updates/

Thank you!

Why haven't we seen her yet? Good for her - keep to yourself and thank the Good Lord for your blessings!

Seems they had confusion, treat as a barricade situation, a hostage situation or?
I think they focus on training each situation differently and could not figure how to merge them into one. Just my opinion.

I'll keep saying it as long as permitted. LE have no obligation to act in defense of another. None. One's defense must come from one's self.

The responsibility for my safety rests with me.

Plus, being fired upon by a 5.56 NATO rifle will cause even the toughest to pause.
It is unfortunate that this is true, they are not required to protect, even though it says serve and protect. We have been told that often after situations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member