GUILTY TX - Zoe Hastings, 18, abducted & murdered, Dallas, 11 Oct 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank You DeDee for posting the tweets very much appreciated. I just didn't have time.

Seems like this was a pretty short trial. I pray the jurors will come back with a just verdict.
+1
Yes, thanks much DeDee!

Robbie Owens‏Verified account
@cbs11Robbie
Following Following @cbs11Robbie
More
#AntonioCochranTrial Jury is back at work this morning. They’ve sent out one request so far: wanted an easel. More on the wait for a verdict @CBSDFW 11:00.

I saw this at 10 am CST

You are welcome. It is my pleasure to leave a record of Zoe's murder trial documentation. My daughter trained for marathons starting at Highland Park a few years ago. I believe it may have been Zoe's parent's wish not to seek the DP.

Cochran has a long rap sheet with arrests and convictions dating back 15 years for crimes that include assault, theft and burglary. As recently as February 2014, he was arrested in Bowie County, Texas after being accused of raping a teenage girl in a car. The District Clerk’s Office confirms that the case went all the way to a jury trial in January 2015 where Cochran was acquitted.

The District Clerk’s Office confirms that the case went all the way to a jury trial this January, where Cochran was ultimately acquitted. According to the Texarkana Gazette newspaper.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/D...it-in-Zoe-Hastings-Murder-Case-337151351.html

Zoe Hastings.png
Zoe Hastings

January 18, 2018

@shaunrabbfox4
4 hours ago
2nd day of deliberations underway in the #AntonioCochranTrial in murder of #ZoeHastings after 4.5 hours of deliberating Wednesday

January 17, 2017

@shaunrabbfox4
21 hours ago
Jurors have asked 2 questions. 1st at 2:17 about a photo of Walgreen’s from CVS across street, where witness says he saw someone force Zoe into minivan and beard her scream,”help.” 2nd relates to DNA report about single strand of hair in Zoe’s left hand. 1/2

@shaunrabbfox4
21 hours ago
2/2 Experts testified the single strand of hair in Zoe Hastings left hand, could only belong to Cochran or his family line

@shaunrabbfox4
20 hours ago
Jurors have gone home for the day 4.5 hours deliberations day 1.
Will resume 9:00 #ZoeHastings #AntonioCochranTrial

@shaunrabbfox4
1 hour ago
Judge Robert Burns brings donuts for media waiting for jury verdict in #AntonioCochranTrial the #zoehastings murder. THANK YOU, Judge Robert Burns!

@shaunrabbfox4
40 minutes ago
Jurors have started deliberating for the 3rd day in #AntonioCochranTrial for Capital murder jurors must find state proved he kidnapped and killed #zoehastings

Jury Deliberations

@shaunrabbfox4
49 minutes ago

Jurors have asked another question in #AntonioCochranTrial want to review cell phone expert animation of where Cochran/Hastings phones were Oct 11, 2015 #zoehastings. Based on question, jurors could be grappling over kidnapping charge only speculation about jury thinking

[The charges against Cochran include kidnapping, rape and murder of Zoe hastings. The ME did not testify to evidence of rape TMK.]

@shaunrabbfox4
7 minutes ago
The jury has asked for part of testimony to be read back to the court reporter going back over her work. We don’t know what part #AntonioCochranTrial #zoehastings murder

@shaunrabbfox4
17 minutes ago
Reporters/photographers that have covered #AntonioCochranTrial since January 11th. Waiting for jury to render verdict or not in #zoehastings murder

DT7oECSWsAEF0W2.jpg

@shaunrabbfox4
41 minutes ago
It’s another break in deliberations. Sounds like they are tired of each other. Around 16 hours of deliberation. #AntonioCochranTrial in #zoehastings murder

@shaunrabbfox4
15 minutes ago
Judge has returned lawyers in court #AntonioCochranTrial defense lawyers animated in discussion with judge prosecutors huddling and talking - this doesn’t feel like we are getting a verdict at least not yet #zoehastings murder

@shaunrabbfox4
2 minutes ago
Jurors are asking how long they have to deliberate before its declared a hung jury and also who decides punishment if they find Cochran guilty of murder instead of capital murder.(that would require a punishment phase this jury would decide)

https://twitter.com/shaunrabbfox4

[Oh, no.]

@cbs11Robbie
5 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial NO VERDICT but a flurry of activity! Jurors want to know how long they have to deliberate before they can say they are deadlocked. They have to make that decision. Latest @CBSDFW 4. Also asked who decides sentence on murder conviction.

https://twitter.com/cbs11Robbie

So disheartening. <modsnip> How can they find him guilty of murder but not capital murder?

@shaunrabbfox4
6 minutes ago
One more red light from jurors in the #AntonioCochranTrial either a verdict, or@announcement of deadlock, judge does not look happy

@shaunrabbfox4
5 minutes ago
Lawyers huddle at judges bench. Reading note from jurors in #AntonioCochranTrial Judge Robert Burns does not look happy

DT8C100WkAAscPn.jpg

I went into shock over Jessica's trial. I couldn't form a complete sentence for days. I visited her crime scene. Visited Missy Bevers, too.

@cbs11Robbie
3 minutes ago

#AntonioCochranTrial Well, jury is still deliberating! We know they are frustrated. At one point, they asked at what point they could declare themselves hopelessly deadlocked. Now, they just asked to review witness testimony. Live report @CBSDFW at 5, because things may change!

@shaunrabbfox4
15 minutes ago
Jurors going home coming back tomorrow in #AntonioCochranTrial #zoehastings murder see you in 3 minutes Fox 4 News at 5:00

BBM The ME did not testify to evidence of rape TMK.] Any idea of why?

Jan 11, 2018
Hastings had been sexually assaulted, stabbed and left for dead beside the creek.

Antonio Cochran, 36, is accused of kidnapping Hastings outside a White Rock pharmacy as she returned a Redbox movie in October 2015 and then killing her. His capital murder trial started Thursday.

... the Dallas County district attorney's office reversed its decision to seek the death penalty in November, saying Cochran has an intellectual disability.

... It is against the law to execute someone whose IQ is under 70.

Jurors were shown photos of the bloody crime scene, where Hastings was found in the fetal position, her clothing in disarray and knife wounds on her wrist and neck.

... DNA from Hastings' rape kit didn't exclude Cochran as a suspect.

[Includes a nice video about the family and Zoe's dream of missionaries and aspirations of attending med school.]

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cou...lasman-accused-killing-18-year-old-way-church

Published on Jan 12, 2018

Witness arrested after testimony given. Explains the DNA: Experts could not say the hair found in Zoe's left hand could not exclude Cochran as being the source. .Experts could not conclusively say the DNA from the sexzual assault came exclusively from Cochran although he could not be ruled out as the source.

[video=youtube;rirVi7YKn_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirVi7YKn_M[/video]

Jan 15, 2018
Mom Used Phone App to Find Missing Daughter Who'd Been Sexually Assaulted and Killed

Zoe was found dead outside her family’s crashed minivan in the creek. She had been sexually assaulted, stabbed and left for dead, according to multiple reports. Dallas police said at the time she did not die in the crash, but instead died of “obvious homicidal violence.”

http://people.com/crime/mom-used-ph...hter-whod-been-sexually-assaulted-and-killed/

October 24, 2015

"He's obviously a sexual predator that's been taken off the streets, hopefully not to do this ever again," said Dallas police spokesman Maj. Max Geron.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-county/police-zoe-hastings-murder-suspect-in-custody/27446772

None of this explains why the ME did not testify about a sexual assault.

@cbs11Robbie
2 hours ago
#AntonioCochranTrial: Waiting for a verdict on a Saturday morning! Will keep you posted here if anything develops. @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
1 hour ago
#AntonioCochranTrial #RightNow. I didn’t see a red light, but there appears to be a note from the jury. Attorneys are huddling. Jury asking about what a witness told a Dallas police detective. At least they are still deliberating. 1/2 @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
57 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial: based on jury questions, appears that one prosecution witness is a concern. Gary Whitman, a homeless career criminal and drug user, claimed to have witnessed the #ZoeHastings abduction. Defense argued that he couldn’t have seen/heard anything 2/2 @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
53 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial: Gary Whitman testified that he recognized Cochran’s “walk” when he saw his arrest on TV. He was in jail at the time. His testimony conflicted with that of another witness. At one point, jury asked about the timeline of when police interviewed both. @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
40 minutes ago
Robbie Owens Retweeted Robbie Owens
#AntonioCochranTrial: FYI Dallas PD detective testified that all witnesses have “problems”...they found Whitman credible because he told them suspect made stabbing motion when cause of #ZoeHastings death had NOT been released. No reporting that she’d been stabbed @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
10 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial #Now Another red light. Attorneys gather to answer jury’s question. Appears to be another question about witness testimony @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
1 hour ago
#AntonioCochranTrial #Now Another red light. Attorneys gather to answer jury&#8217;s question. Appears to be another question about witness testimony @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
12 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial #New Jury has been brought in. @RdburnsIII reading back a portion of the testimony concerning what witness told detective. @CBSDFW
#AntonioCochranTrial: it appears that after 4 days of deliberations, jury is back where they started. The first question they asked as deliberations got underway, was for a picture of the Walgreen&#8217;s where #ZoeHastings disappeared. More... @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
5 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial #New Jury foreman has been asked if they will be able to reach a verdict. Told @RdburnsIII &#8220;I don&#8217;t know. It&#8217;s very difficult.&#8221; They are now getting what&#8217;s called an &#8216;Allen charge&#8217;. Reminding jury what&#8217;s at stake. @CBSDFW

@cbs11Robbie
4 minutes ago
#AntonioCochranTrial #Now It appears pretty clear at this point that the jury is struggling with whether witness Gary Whitman actually saw what he testified to in court. They just heard a detective&#8217;s testimony about conflicts in witness accounts @CBSDFW

What is an Allen charge to the jury?
Allen charge. An Allen Charge (also known as a "Dynamite Charge") is a term used, usually within the U.S. Federal Court system, to describe the instructions given by a judge to a jury when, after deliberation, it is unable to reach on a verdict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back