TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, sorry, I think I misspoke. For some reason I thought her car was found a block or so away from her house. My mistake.
But yes, I do think she was out walking the dog and she was grabbed. Too bad dogs can't talk.

URGENT: Alpine Police Department is seeking additional information related to the disappearance of Zuzu Verk. This vehicle is currently in custody of Alpine Police Department. Investigators believe this vehicle is a key piece of evidence in this case. Anyone with information about seeing this white 2016 Ford Mustang being driven between the hours of midnight on Wednesday October 12, 2016 through Thursday morning October 13, 2016, are urged to contact Alpine Police Department at (432) 837-3486.
The owner of this car has voluntarily identified himself on the APD thread.

I would do this exact same thing: It's not verified by LE yet, but he himself stated that he gave his car up willingly, and gave GPS data because he wants to find ZuZu. He said he wants anyone who saw his car that night to call it in, because he been driving it around with his friend RF inside. I'm assuming that's to clear his name. No times were volunteered. He seems to be very cooperative and willing to put himself out there to help find ZuZu.

That's a pretty nice car.

This story from Newswest9 from earlier today says...

Police told us they will be looking at cameras at a Stripes store after employees say they saw her with a man.

http://www.newswest9.com/story/33398449/alpine-police-searching-for-missing-22-year-old-woman

Stripes is a convenience store/gas station in Alpine.

https://www.mapquest.com/us/texas/gas-stations-alpine/stripes-230-269905809

I'm reading through the thread again to work on the timeline and this article was updated Oct 20 and the part about the man seeing her at Stripes removed. I wonder why?

I'm reading through the thread again to work on the timeline and this article was updated Oct 20 and the part about the man seeing her at Stripes removed. I wonder why?

Strange. . . I'm sure they pulled the CCTV video from that night. Looks like they would release that video if they didn't already know who it was.

I can only assume that it turned out that it wasn't her.

It was never confirmed. It either turned out not to be ZuZu or it was and they are keeping the information quiet for the integrity of the investigations. I would leave it out of the timeline.

RF was born in El Paso County, so unclear on when he began residing in Alpine. (El Paso is one of the closest big cities to Alpine, so could have been then; he definitely went to Alpine schools). His father died in 2003 and most of his extended family on his father's side lives in Austin. RF's FB page seems to indicate that he wanted to move to Austin in 2015. All of the above is public information available online for free.

Stripes is the one of the few places open late. There's no need to go there for gas; there are plenty of unattended gas pumps but if you need to pay cash, you'd go there. You'd also go to get something to drink; it's one of a few places with fountain drinks. If you were trying to avoid being seen, you wouldn't go there; it's very well-lit, unlike most of Alpine, which is extremely dark at night.

There are a couple of trains per night that come through with horns and I'd be curious to know what times they came through that night. If you needed a noise cover, that would be it. Most people are well-acquainted with the sound of a gun firing and a TV blaring would not change that.

There is a pipeline being built that runs within a mile of the hospital. There's massive construction debris over more than 100 miles in addition to segments of pipeline large enough to hide a person in. That entire area cannot be searched without permission from the pipeline company because doing so is trespassing and will get you arrested. There needs to be massive pressure on the owner to allow a search.

The rainfall this year has been unusually high and the grass and brush is far taller than usual. The Davis Mountains are indeed more remote and with far less cell phone signal or Internet. They'd be an ideal place to hide, but you risk being pulled over by LE on the 30 mile drive there.

US Border Patrol has a very significant presence in Alpine; less so in the Davis Mountains, but it's there. They have a lot of canine resources that could be used if locations are narrowed down. They routinely patrol all of Brewster County. They will be coordinating with other LE.

I am a very frequent visitor to the area and a parent of two similarly-aged daughters.

This article still contains a reference to Stripes:
At this time it is still unconfirmed whether or not Verk was last seen leaving a Stripes Convenience store with an unidentified man.

Our CBS 7 crews have scheduled a meeting with the Stripes regional manager to confirm this information.

We will continue to bring you more information as it develops.

I'm trying to find out if there was an update/interview with the manager. I may put it in the timeline as an unconfirmed sighting for now.

ETA: Found the interview with the Stripes manager and all he really said is that they cooperated and turned over video tape: http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Stripes-Convenience-Store-helping-search-efforts--397239981.html

:welcome: Thanks so much for the detailed local information. It really helps us picture everything. That's an interesting point about the trains covering noise. I hope the pipeline company has given permission for a search.

RF was born in El Paso County, so unclear on when he began residing in Alpine. (El Paso is one of the closest big cities to Alpine, so could have been then; he definitely went to Alpine schools). His father died in 2003 and most of his extended family on his father's side lives in Austin. RF's FB page seems to indicate that he wanted to move to Austin in 2015. All of the above is public information available online for free.

Stripes is the one of the few places open late. There's no need to go there for gas; there are plenty of unattended gas pumps but if you need to pay cash, you'd go there. You'd also go to get something to drink; it's one of a few places with fountain drinks. If you were trying to avoid being seen, you wouldn't go there; it's very well-lit, unlike most of Alpine, which is extremely dark at night.

There are a couple of trains per night that come through with horns and I'd be curious to know what times they came through that night. If you needed a noise cover, that would be it. Most people are well-acquainted with the sound of a gun firing and a TV blaring would not change that.

There is a pipeline being built that runs within a mile of the hospital. There's massive construction debris over more than 100 miles in addition to segments of pipeline large enough to hide a person in. That entire area cannot be searched without permission from the pipeline company because doing so is trespassing and will get you arrested. There needs to be massive pressure on the owner to allow a search.

The rainfall this year has been unusually high and the grass and brush is far taller than usual. The Davis Mountains are indeed more remote and with far less cell phone signal or Internet. They'd be an ideal place to hide, but you risk being pulled over by LE on the 30 mile drive there.

US Border Patrol has a very significant presence in Alpine; less so in the Davis Mountains, but it's there. They have a lot of canine resources that could be used if locations are narrowed down. They routinely patrol all of Brewster County. They will be coordinating with other LE.

I am a very frequent visitor to the area and a parent of two similarly-aged daughters.

Yup. And on the car owners fb page he said he voluntarily handed his car over and wants to help find Zuzu. Is this the same friend RF borrowed a gun from? Where'd I read that?

Eta: I read it above. Thanks medic!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I wonder if the POI ex boyfriend borrowed the car from RF the night Zuzu disappeared? ive found that person's who like to borrow things usually come back for more 'cause they know who is too nice to say no. JMO

I wonder if the POI ex boyfriend borrowed the car from RF the night Zuzu disappeared? ive found that person's who like to borrow things usually come back for more 'cause they know who is too nice to say no. JMO

The POI was a passenger in the car Wednesday night (not Tuesday night). Driving around is one of the main things to do in a small Texas town. The owner of the car is cooperating fully with LE. The POI did not borrow the car.

The POI was a passenger in the car Wednesday night (not Tuesday night). Driving around is one of the main things to do in a small Texas town. The owner of the car is cooperating fully with LE. The POI did not borrow the car.

If it's true that POI was a passenger in the Mustang on Wednesday night, I wonder if dirt or another substance (plant, pollen?) on his shoes left over from early Wednesday got on the carpet of the car that night. It's possible to identify the location of dirt and plant material found in tires, so if dirt or something came off his shoes, perhaps that's the "key evidence" connected to the Mustang.

ETA: IIRC The dirt and plant material found on the tires of Whitney Heichel's car helped zero in fairly closely on the location of her body in the woods near Portland OR. She wasn't even buried. :(

View attachment 103520

For Zuzu

#BringZuzuHome

I tell ya - if LE brings her home alive I'll fly out there and try my best to give 'em each a big ol' kiss! I might do it regardless. I've never felt a rally from LE like I have in this case. If anyone can do it - it'll be the Alpine PD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little OT, but not really. This is for anyone who is a hardcore, detail-oriented sleuther and wants to learn how to use Google Maps and Google Earth more effectively for sleuthing. Sasquatch posted these instructions a few years ago, so some things might have changed, but the basics are here. He used his skills in several cases and gave the evidence to LE. The latest one I know of is when the McStay family graves were found in the desert. He's a treasure!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...de-to-Google-Maps-Sleuthing-and-Finding-Clues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734