UID Victim: "Cherries", Mamaroneck, Blk/Hisp, 605UFNY, found Mar 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How do I submit a match if shes not on NamUs??

I always use Doe Network to submit matches. http://www.doenetwork.org/ (go to the dropdown menu "Potential Matches" --> second option "Submit a Match" click) There's a fairly detailed form to fill out. It will ask for Doe Network and NamUs case numbers and links as well as other details. I just enter "N/A" when there isn't one of those case files for the Missing Person. Once you've submitted you will usually get an email back pretty soon from Mary Bell confirming your submission has been received and letting you know if the match has been considered before.

There's also a thread all about tips for submitting matches: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?74855-Tips-before-submitting

Did anyone ever notice there is writing on the camisole from Cherries? I'm not sure if this is LE's writing or was there when she was found. Does anyone know?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture-cherries.jpg
    Capture-cherries.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 108
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wallace_stephanie.html

How about Stephanie Collette Wallace?

Missing from Richmond Virginia.
45 years old
5'5" - 5'7"
130-155 lbs
African American.
Has a history of cocaine abuse.

Nickname is: Cherry.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wallace_stephanie.html

I submitted her to Doe Network recently when I was going through this thread and trying to make sure good submissions had been followed up on (it was someone else who originally posted her). Doe Network said they had already reviewed that match and submitted it to LE in both jurisdictions. IMO she's a very very good match and perhaps LE is just not moving quickly on it. It might not hurt to call the detective assigned to her disappearance or submit her again through a different method.

Did anyone ever notice there is writing on the camisole from Cherries? I'm not sure if this is LE's writing or was there when she was found. Does anyone know?
attachment.php

Great eye! It was never mentioned here and as far as I remember it was never mentioned in any news articles about her either. I really doubt that LE would write on their evidence.

Can you post a link where you got the pic from? In namus photo of this shirt writing appears to be mirror image (backwords), sometimes happens on photos or it was written on inside of the shirt.

You can enlarge image by clicking on it in her namus profile. I wish someone could turn this photo correct way.
https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/16224

Great eye! It was never mentioned here and as far as I remember it was never mentioned in any news articles about her either. I really doubt that LE would write on their evidence.

Can you post a link where you got the pic from? In namus photo of this shirt writing appears to be mirror image (backwords), sometimes happens on photos or it was written on inside of the shirt.

You can enlarge image by clicking on it in her namus profile. I wish someone could turn this photo correct way.

Pretty sure it's some type of labeling by LE

Pretty sure it's some type of labeling by LE

Funny how people can have different opinions :).

So, NYC trained police in 2007 (not that long ago) would write on top of their evidence in murder investigation and compromise the evidence?
If it really could be possibility that LE did then I :banghead:

It looks like BigCityAccountant has flipped the detail photo posted. I tried zooming and flipping it too:
attachment.php

I agree it was probably LE that did that (which IMO is indeed horrendous to do to PHYSICAL EVIDENCE). The writing on the ruler thing below the shirt says "C2007-0177-22 KAM" What I can make of the writing (with underscores for characters I'm unsure of) on the shirt is on the left:
"_-0_7"
"_ D53"

On the right:
"M007_46" (the MEC case number is M2007-464)
"_A"
"_-0_"

So IMO these are some sort of case numbers for labeling and archiving the evidence -you would think they could label the container or pin on a label where it's at least printed clearly and not just crudely try to write on chiffon with a dull sharpie, gees!

Attachments

• Flipped_Cherries'shirt.jpg
    Flipped_Cherries'shirt.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 78
They label the evidence that way so the tag can't be separated and lost.

I don't see why you think that compromises the evidence?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

They label the evidence that way so the tag can't be separated and lost.

I don't see why you think that compromises the evidence?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Thank you for explaining this. One issue I had with the writing is simply the quality of it -it is not clearly or neatly written for legibility and it appears that the marker they used didn't work well on the material. As far as compromising the evidence goes I was thinking that it could damage semen or blood samples if they were present in that portion of the fabric. I also considered that since the marker contains chemicals their presence could disrupt the testing for other chemicals or matter that could be evidence such as pollen or soil for location evidence or chemicals that could trace back to a suspect's occupation, vehicle or home.

I am not a forensic expert so your knowledge of how these things work is very helpful as I continue to learn. If only a small portion of the garment is necessary for these tests then I can understand that there would still be plenty of material to use. I do have a background in textiles so I guess I have a knee jerk reaction to them being written on with sharpie!

Thank you for explaining this. One issue I had with the writing is simply the quality of it -it is not clearly or neatly written for legibility and it appears that the marker they used didn't work well on the material. As far as compromising the evidence goes I was thinking that it could damage semen or blood samples if they were present in that portion of the fabric. I also considered that since the marker contains chemicals their presence could disrupt the testing for other chemicals or matter that could be evidence such as pollen or soil for location evidence or chemicals that could trace back to a suspect's occupation, vehicle or home.

I am not a forensic expert so your knowledge of how these things work is very helpful as I continue to learn. If only a small portion of the garment is necessary for these tests then I can understand that there would still be plenty of material to use. I do have a background in textiles so I guess I have a knee jerk reaction to them being written on with sharpie!

I guess there's always the possibility of police incompetence, especially on a case like this, but generally they're very careful with the labeling and evidence control.

LONG ISLAND, DNA matches leg, torso found ashore in March: [NASSAU AND SUFFOLK Edition]
Frazier, Michael. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]05 Apr 2007: A30.

The leg washed ashore on Nassau County's North Shore last week and a woman's torso found weeks earlier off the coast of Mamaroneck in Westchester County share the same DNA, authorities said yesterday.
Now police are awaiting scientific test results that will help determine whether a leg found in Suffolk County is also a match.
Investigators have said they believe the remains are that of one unidentified victim in a grisly case that is being investigated as a homicide...
The discovery of the legs generated new leads in the case after the torso of a light-skinned black or Hispanic woman was foundMarch 3 on Mamaroneck's shoreline about 25 miles north of Long Island.
The torso had washed up in a dark blue or black suitcase exclusively sold at Wal-Mart stores, police said. The remains had a red cherry tattoo - two cherries on a green stem - over the right breast and stab wounds, Gaffney said.
The torso belonged to someone weighing 160 to 200 pounds, 35 to 50 years old, and standing in a range from 5-foot, 4 inches to 5- foot, 6 inches tall, Gaffney said.
In Suffolk County, a leg washed up on a Lloyd Harbor beach on March 27. A day later, another leg floated onto Cablevision chief James Dolan's private beach in Nassau's Cove Neck. Each leg had pink toenail polish on some toes, police said...

In this source from when her legs were found the weight (160-200) and height (5'4"-5'6") ranges appear to be more feasible and potentially more helpful than the NamUs (Cannot Estimate, Cannot Estimate) or Doe Network weight (180-200) and height (5'7"-6'1") ranges. The age range is also a tad different between NamUs (35-45) and this article + Doe Network (35-50).

I noticed a few discrepancies between the NamUs photo and the Doe Network photo of the camisole. The Doe Network photo makes the camisole look like it has black coloring on the top part. Also the Doe Network describes the camisole as having a label in spanish. NamUs says the label is Coconut Republic, size M. The suitcase pictured on either site also looks different. NamUs shows a Protege suitcase with black zipper. Doe Network shows InGEAR suitcase with brass zipper. Can't find a brand label called Coconut Republic that makes camisoles. InGEAR luggage is sold on amazon and alibaba, as well as Kmart.

The Doe Network: 605UFNY

NamUs - National Unidentified Persons Data System

Just some observations.......

I noticed a few discrepancies between the NamUs photo and the Doe Network photo of the camisole. The Doe Network photo makes the camisole look like it has black coloring on the top part. Also the Doe Network describes the camisole as having a label in spanish. NamUs says the label is Coconut Republic, size M. The suitcase pictured on either site also looks different. NamUs shows a Protege suitcase with black zipper. Doe Network shows InGEAR suitcase with brass zipper. Can't find a brand label called Coconut Republic that makes camisoles. InGEAR luggage is sold on amazon and alibaba, as well as Kmart.

Excellent observations! There is a Coconut Republic in South Carolina and another clothing store by that name in Brazil https://www.yelp.com/biz/coconut-republic-santos
At first I thought the one in SC would be more likely but the word "Cinco" is the same in both Spanish and Portuguese.

This unidentified female is listed on the Doe network. Here is the ID number. 605UFNY Just go to the Doe site and type this in. Many people have tried to match her with missing women, but so far no matches. I'm a member of Doe if you have any questions
Ellie

What cruise ships were in the vicinity around this time? Crew member?

I blew up the camisole photo and I think the black-looking stuff on the Namus photo is probably mold, or blood, or something like that. It doesn't appear to be decoration or anything that's part of the garment.

Also the Doe Network describes the camisole as having a label in spanish. NamUs says the label is Coconut Republic, size M.

Both could be correct -- it looks like Coconut Republic is (or was) a clothing brand in Brazil (more info here in Portuguese). In which case, the rest of the clothing label besides the brand name and the size (laundry instructions, etc.) could have been in Portuguese, which many people often mistake for Spanish. There could be a chance the woman is Brazilian...although she also could have bought the camisole at a second hand store or it could be a hand-me-down from a Brazilian friend.

Has Robin Vansickel ever been considered as Cherries?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/vansickel_robin.html

Missing from Anchorage, AK since 1988.

She was employed as a dancer in Anchorage, AK in 1988. She may have worked at the Great Alaska Bush Company, a strip club in the 600 block of East International Airport Road. She disappeared during the summer of that year and has never been heard from again. Shortly before her disappearance, Vansickel was caught up in a drug bust involving a group of New York
based dealers known as the "Cocaine Cowboys." The circumstances surrounding Vansickel's disappearance are unclear.

She goes by her middle name, Lynn.

She has a tattoo of two cherries on one shoulder and a tattoo of a spider on her ankle.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20724/0

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back