UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we really need a haulier in here to advise . Also I’m not sure what the wooden pallets are in the photo inside the fridge

I read on mainstream news today that the driver would often transport mushrooms. The only thing that comes to mind is a sort of vegetable crate.

FWIW, I think the driver knew what he was carrying. I can't imagine that they'd extend his hold, search both his and his parents homes and bring his parents in to talk to him without releasing him if he were unaware. He may have naively thought he could help some migrants seek a better life in the UK, but I believe he knew the migrants were in the truck.

Obviously opening the back of the lorry lead to a second door to the refrigerated unit. Could he have needed to check in with the migrants, perhaps via cell phone as in another case, and then opened the trailer when they didn't respond?

I don’t understand what I’m seeing. I remember seeing a photo of a refrigeration trailer from a previous case and it didn’t have that wooden crate type thing.

It's metal. Is it a crate wuth the goods like those loaded onto planes? That's my guess. Edit: head a Google and a reliable source said these containers can have compartments with separately controlled temperatures to allow for transport of frozen and chilled goods at the same time.

10 hours on the ferry isn't it?

:eek::eek:

Last edited:
It's metal. Is it a crate wuth the goods like those loaded onto planes? That's my guess. Edit: head a Google and a reliable source said these containers can have compartments with separately controlled temperatures to allow for transport of frozen and chilled goods at the same time.

really?! It looks so much like slats of wood nailed together to me! I’m assuming the people on board weren’t inside it, otherwise that would mean the driver not only opened the main doors of the truck but also an inner, metal, temperature controlled unit to retrieve paperwork. That definitely sounds unusual.

Yes we really need a haulier in here to advise . Also I’m not sure what the wooden pallets are in the photo inside the fridge

really?! It looks so much like slats of wood nailed together to me! I’m assuming the people on board weren’t inside it, otherwise that would mean the driver not only opened the main doors of the truck but also an inner, metal, temperature controlled unit to retrieve paperwork. That definitely sounds unusual.

I think it's just the cooler bulkhead at the front of the trailer. If you look at this ad for a used Cargobull fridge unit the photo of the inside looks similar
2013 SCHMITZ SINGLE TEMPERATURE FRIDGES

im still going on a young 25 year old with family on the way thinking he’ll make a big lump of money for just driving for 30 mins (within an organised plan) ..... what could go wrong as if caught before you’ve released them you’d plead complete ignorance. if something happened at the time ; you’ve heard a commotion and stopped and opened doors and you’ve been flooded by people running at you .

This is exactly what has been on my mind too. I do truly want to believe that he is innocent, but for a lorry driver he has such a nice house, then TWO babies on the way. He may feel under pressure to provide for his family and may have made a very misguided choice to do this job, thinking he could easily get away with it and earn a nice lump of money for it.

It has clearly gone more wrong than he could ever imagine.

I really hope I am wrong too, but there are just a few little things that don't add up if he was innocent and it worries me that the police have been able to hold him this long if there is no evidence of him knowing what he was carrying in his lorry. MOO

Anyone know the exact area where the truck stopped well? Is it poorly lit/ not covered by CCTV/ area of low traffic etc? IF the driver was complicit, would this be the sort of place that you would be stopping to allow the victims to exit for example?

Anyone know the exact area where the truck stopped well? Is it poorly lit/ not covered by CCTV/ area of low traffic etc? IF the driver was complicit, would this be the sort of place that you would be stopping to allow the victims to exit for example?

I don't but a friend of mine does and I posted this a few pages back:

"The spot he parked in is right outside a disused, currently being renovated, large warehouse - on a through road. No cameras along the road, an ideal spot for letting people out of the back of a lorry in the dead of night, with nobody seeing them exit it.

Whats more, 50 yards further up the road, but around a bend, so out of immediate sight, is a 24/7 365 food bus, ideal cover for late night comings and goings for all sorts of people, truck drivers, teenagers on the way home from parties getting a bacon roll at 3am sort of thing."

Lorry victims 'were trapped before reaching Belgian coast'

"The 39 people found dead in a refrigerated lorry were already trapped when they arrived at the Belgian coast en route to England, local officials have said.

Belgian officials said the eight women and 31 men would have been locked in the trailer for at least 10 hours after it arrived at the port of Zeebrugge on Tuesday afternoon."

The chief executive of Zeebrugge port, Joachim Coens, said the trailer would not have been interfered with after it arrived there at 2.49pm. “A refrigerated container in the port zone is completely sealed,” he told Belgian media. “During the check, the seal is examined, as is the licence plate. The driver is checked by cameras.”
The mayor of Bruges, Dirk de Fauw, echoed this message in an interview on VRT, saying trailers were filmed until their arrival on the ferry. “[To] break the seal, bring 39 people onboard and apply a new seal without being noticed, that chance is extremely small.”
Essex lorry victims were trapped before reaching Belgian coast, officials say

I don't but a friend of mine does and I posted this a few pages back:

"The spot he parked in is right outside a disused, currently being renovated, large warehouse - on a through road. No cameras along the road, an ideal spot for letting people out of the back of a lorry in the dead of night, with nobody seeing them exit it.

Whats more, 50 yards further up the road, but around a bend, so out of immediate sight, is a 24/7 365 food bus, ideal cover for late night comings and goings for all sorts of people, truck drivers, teenagers on the way home from parties getting a bacon roll at 3am sort of thing."

thank you Shadowplayed, that’s a great post, sorry I missed it first time round! Few sleepless nights with babies this week! That doesn’t look good for the driver and if he isn’t complicit and happened to stop at that particular spot for innocent reasons then it’s incredibly unfortunate :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills