UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As to what police are looking for in their fingertip searches of the area where the lorry was parked - do you think it realistic that there were some people still alive and well enough to run off before the ambulance was called? The photo of the inside looks like it wasn't actually carrying cargo so there'd be room for a lot more people. I assumed it was empty just because it was being taken back to Ireland to be off-hired (hence the tractor unit coming from Ireland to collect it) but then why would the fridge unit be running?
I wonder if the tracker can tell when the trailer is loaded? The ones I've had experience of would frequently alarm if the lorry was jolted by loading or unloading but I don't know if fridge units do. It's certainly odd if the trailer had travelled a lot whilst empty - transport companies don't usually run lorries empty, they're not very economical beasts, so they will try to arrange a return load to claw back expenses if possible
I guess if the driver IS involved then he could have panicked once hooked up when he realised the fridge unit was on and stopped as soon as possible to check, even if that wasn't the intended drop off point
I wondered if the driver might have ditched a mobile phone if he is involved.

UK media intern, Yiran Tang, says people in China are desperate for police to find “the truth” behind the discovery of 39 bodies in the refrigerated lorry in Grays. @EssexPoliceUK still have the 25-year-old driver in custody.

(Video)

BBC Essex on Twitter

I would think that many of the 39 families and all their friends know what the identities may be of those individuals. How heartbreaking.

Can anyone point to any other cases where the police have bought in eg family members to talk to suspect ? I can only think that he says he’ll talk after telling parents first hand what’s happened but that’s just a complete guess .

why would police do this ? Thanks

The first one that comes to mind is Christopher Watts when his father was brought into the interviewroom.

It’s the cab bit they ‘owned / own / registered keeper ?’ Rather than the trailer Who are Thomas Maher and wife Joanna? Two arrested in connection to Essex lorry deaths

Yep it's all a bit confusing (to me, anyway!)

The cab/tractor/Scania part is apparently owned by the Mahers in Warrington but they said they actually sold it a year ago (to someone in Ireland) despite still being the registered keepers. They have been arrested.

The trailer/fridge part is owned by GTR in Ireland and rented out on a short term basis to whoever needs it. To date, nobody at GTR has been arrested.

Is this right?

Who is Mo employed by? Or does he just rent the cab and is self employed?

24 October 2019:

Irish company confirms it leased refrigerated trailer at centre of Essex tragedy

A spokesperson for Global Trailer Rentals Ltd (GTR) has confirmed that it owns the refrigerated trailer in which 39 people were found dead in Essex yesterday.

GTR is based in Dublin but also has locations in counties Louth and Monaghan.

The spokesperson said the trailer leased on 15 October from Global Trailer Rentals' yard in Co Monaghan at a rate of €275 per week until it is returned.

The company has contacted the incident team in Essex police directly and gave them information about the person and company that leased the trailer.

Trailers owned by Global Trailer Rentals are equipped with GPS trackers.

GTR said it will make the data from its tracking system available to investigating police.

The company's directors said they are "shellshocked" at the news and "gutted" that one of their trailers had been used in such a way.

The company extended its sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of the those who died.

In a statement this afternoon GTR said it was "entirely unaware that the trailer was to be used in the manner in which it appears to have been".

It says the company contacted Essex Police yesterday "immediately upon becoming aware that a trailer on lease from this company had been involved in this incident".

Irish company confirms it leased trailer found in Essex

From the above post and also from earlier "The spokesperson said the trailer leased on 15 October from Global Trailer Rentals' yard in Co Monaghan at a rate of €275 per week until it is returned."..

So we now know

1) who owns the cab, we now know

2) who owns the leasing company,

but who leased the refrigeration unit from GTR for that week? Am I missing something that that hasn't been stated yet?

Last edited:
Mo is self employed apparently the ‘new owners’ of cab are close to where he lives so presume that’s why he’s driving in this cab
“They claim they sold it to a company in County Moneghan, close to where driver Mo Robinson, 25, lives.”

Mo is self employed apparently the ‘new owners’ of cab are close to where he lives so presume that’s why he’s driving in this cab

How could the cab owner be sure that they would get the bid to haul the correct trailer assuming a smuggling organization? That indeed would be a huge conspiracy and I still want to know who rented that trailer which I haven't seen yet. L o r r y as it is called in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange