GUILTY UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should do that though! It should be his face you don't look at again, her picture shouldn't be the one people avoid looking at.

I’ve actually never thought about it like that. Weird how the human brain works. We look at her photos of her smiling and happy as pain now. Yet his photos we try and analyse when actually there’s nothing to look into, he’s bland.

I think Alesha connected with people because she was such a happy, beautiful little girl. Even in her pictures you can see she was full of life and fun. Such a smiley child who was enjoying her summer holidays. I’m glad she won that bear and had such happy memories in her short life.

I was reading a Reddit AMA from a few years ago earlier, with the psychologist who evaluated Ted Bundy and had him put in prison and it was pretty fascinating. He worked with a lot of serial killers and murderers over the years. Some of his answers included:

"I have interviewed in depth several serial killers. What was surprising was that they were so easy to talk to. They were open about themselves. A common element was emotional vulnerability as a a child and making wrong choices after that."

"I had a lot of friends among the inmates when i was at the prison. One of my best friends was a contract killer. It's not that I like evil things, it's that I like a person who can be open and friendly and treat people respectfully."

"I have respect for the serial killers I have worked with because they have been willing to share their stories with me for my research. The commonality is that they go through developmental stages beginning with vulnerability during childhood, making choices that made them feel good but were actually destructive for them, continuing along that path until it got out of control and then not being able to stop."

Some of it is quite clinical and I'm sure some people will understandably disagree with it, but it's an interesting read about psychopaths from a professional in that field.

I'm the Psychologist who Evaluated Ted Bundy, and had him put in Prison. AMA! : IAmA

No amount of years would satisfy any of us wholly. Also, Angus Sinclair was a repeat offender who had many victims and I really don’t think anymore than 30 years could be given by law on even an adult with no previous criminal record and only one victim, unfortunately. Remember I don’t agree I am just thinking about it logically and the guidelines in place for judges, Lord Matthews doesn’t hold all the cards (I wish he bloody did mind you).

Yeah actually I'm sure you're right. I know, if he did he'd probably bury Aaron beneath Polmont lol.

Oh yes. I am firey and I would love to be in a room with him, I would kill that with my bare hands. But I can’t so I suppose I should put my energy elsewhere in remembering the happy times reported of Aleshas life.

Me too. I know I shouldn't say things like that. I know he should be punished by removal of his liberty, day after day, until such time he is no longer a danger to the public, if that day ever comes. But..there's a special place in hell waiting for you, Campbell.

Oh yeah lord Matthews hates him. If looks could kill eh? I felt the hate in that stare he gave him when He paused when Toni was crying.

I watched lord Matthews sentencing of Angus Sinclair too just out of curiosity and it was nowhere near as uncomfortable as Aaron’s.

Oh yeah lord Matthews hates him. If looks could kill eh? I felt the hate in that stare he gave him when He paused when Toni was crying.

I watched lord Matthews sentencing of Angus Sinclair too just out of curiosity and it was nowhere near as uncomfortable as Aaron’s.
Lord Matthews had to read all the details that we don't want to know.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I was just thinking of UK law, where its not really done to petition politicians about an individual convict's sentence, it would be interfering with the independence of the judiciary.
Okay, I'm wrong on that, it's fairly open to interpretation but I don't think there's anything that would specifically rule it out.

I think it was the last paragraph I was remembering 'alternatives to institutional care' (40.4):
Article 40

1. States Parties recognize the right of every child alleged as, accused of, or recognized as having infringed the penal law to be treated in a manner consistent with the promotion of the child's sense of dignity and worth, which reinforces the child's respect for the human rights and fundamental freedoms of others and which takes into account the child's age and the desirability of promoting the child's reintegration and the child's assuming a constructive role in society.

2. To this end, and having regard to the relevant provisions of international instruments, States Parties shall, in particular, ensure that:

(a) No child shall be alleged as, be accused of, or recognized as having infringed the penal law by reason of acts or omissions that were not prohibited by national or international law at the time they were committed;

(b) Every child alleged as or accused of having infringed the penal law has at least the following guarantees:

(i) To be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law;

(ii) To be informed promptly and directly of the charges against him or her, and, if appropriate, through his or her parents or legal guardians, and to have legal or other appropriate assistance in the preparation and presentation of his or her defence;

(iii) To have the matter determined without delay by a competent, independent and impartial authority or judicial body in a fair hearing according to law, in the presence of legal or other appropriate assistance and, unless it is considered not to be in the best interest of the child, in particular, taking into account his or her age or situation, his or her parents or legal guardians;

(iv) Not to be compelled to give testimony or to confess guilt; to examine or have examined adverse witnesses and to obtain the participation and examination of witnesses on his or her behalf under conditions of equality;

(v) If considered to have infringed the penal law, to have this decision and any measures imposed in consequence thereof reviewed by a higher competent, independent and impartial authority or judicial body according to law;

(vi) To have the free assistance of an interpreter if the child cannot understand or speak the language used;

(vii) To have his or her privacy fully respected at all stages of the proceedings.

3. States Parties shall seek to promote the establishment of laws, procedures, authorities and institutions specifically applicable to children alleged as, accused of, or recognized as having infringed the penal law, and, in particular:

(a) The establishment of a minimum age below which children shall be presumed not to have the capacity to infringe the penal law;

(b) Whenever appropriate and desirable, measures for dealing with such children without resorting to judicial proceedings, providing that human rights and legal safeguards are fully respected.

4. A variety of dispositions, such as care, guidance and supervision orders; counselling; probation; foster care; education and vocational training programmes and other alternatives to institutional care shall be available to ensure that children are dealt with in a manner appropriate to their well-being and proportionate both to their circumstances and the offence.

OHCHR | Convention on the Rights of the Child

Last edited:
Can I just say though, I know they are traditional and just part of the custom, but the garbs the judges wear in the UK courts are ludicrous. Those dumb wigs and gowns need to go. Can they modernise it a bit, please? Even the barristers look a bit daft.

Oh aye. I feel sorry for him actually. I think it affected him also, he’s only human eh.

I’m sure if Lord Matthews ever wrote his memoirs he’d say this case was one that had a profound effect of him. He knows everything and I’m sure back in his chambers and at home some choice words were used. We forget that judges are human too, they go home every night, possibly have children, grandchildren of their own. He did the best he possibly could by Alesha and her family . His contempt for A.C. was transparent . He looked like he couldn’t leave that courtroom quick enough .

Can I just say though, I know they are traditional and just part of the custom, but the garbs the judges wear in the UK courts are ludicrous. Those dumb wigs and gowns need to go. Can they modernise it a bit, please? Even the barristers look a bit daft.
The thinking behind it is apparently to de-personalize the whole process, ie so everybody looks the same and you don't have flashy lawyers grandstanding and playing to the gallery. A bit like school uniform, it prevents competition on sartorial grounds.

They could modernize the uniform though, make everyone wear black suits or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmb123