UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -teen arrested

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This statement strikes me as odd:

Local councilor (sic) Len Scoullar said: “The community is very dismayed and disappointed that such a thing could happen here. We don’t have crime rates that include things like child abuse and murder.”

Alesha MacPhail: Scottish island on 'lockdown' as police question teenage murder suspect

'Dismayed and disappointed' seems rather an understatement and has the spectre of child abuse actually been mentioned by the Police in this particular case? I understand that there is liaison with 'other agencies' but this does stand out.

As for no child abuse on Bute, there is evidence to the contrary:

McGarrigle duo's depraved history

Ballet dancer grooms girl, 14, for sex acts on webcam

These three were not native to the island though. The men only stayed there for a while and the ballet dancer was originally from Leicester.

The police still appealing for information and the taking of 2 cars makes me wonder if there'll be more arrests in this case.

As for the house and sleeping arrangements...maybe the child wasn't where she always slept, or people were staying over at the house. This could lead to some adults thinking she was safely tucked away in one room when she might have been somewhere else. It might mean people were coming and going and the house wasn't as secure as they may have thought. Just a thought.

The arrest of the under 18 year old is interesting, and again I can't help but feel that he is a neighbour or was staying with a neighbour. The idea that he has managed to snatch a child from a contained flat on the top floor is actually viable if you know the lay of the land - I live in London on a council estate and we have blocks of flats where the main door is always locked but the flat doors are often open, I often just let myself in to my neighbour's flat (Obviously only when he is in) but on a island like Bute, residents are highly likely to leave flat doors unlocked as the crime rates are so low on the island residents will automatically feel safe at all times.
Regarding the sleepwalking theory, I think that was nothing but speculation, if you have anyone in the house that has a tendency to sleepwalk then most people will take steps to protect the safety of the sleep walker - I should know as I sleepwalk and we've had to install additional locks and alarms on the kitchen door and front door and I'm an adult.
IMO I think the POI is known to Alesha and her family, and may have close links with a neighbouring flat or property.

The arrest of the under 18 year old is interesting, and again I can't help but feel that he is a neighbour or was staying with a neighbour. The idea that he has managed to snatch a child from a contained flat on the top floor is actually viable if you know the lay of the land - I live in London on a council estate and we have blocks of flats where the main door is always locked but the flat doors are often open, I often just let myself in to my neighbour's flat (Obviously only when he is in) but on a island like Bute, residents are highly likely to leave flat doors unlocked as the crime rates are so low on the island residents will automatically feel safe at all times.
Regarding the sleepwalking theory, I think that was nothing but speculation, if you have anyone in the house that has a tendency to sleepwalk then most people will take steps to protect the safety of the sleep walker - I should know as I sleepwalk and we've had to install additional locks and alarms on the kitchen door and front door and I'm an adult.
IMO I think the POI is known to Alesha and her family, and may have close links with a neighbouring flat or property.

A quick look on twitter will show you how they think he was known to her and the family link.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alesha and the accused have known each other during her holiday. Guessing Alesha was allowed to play in the vicinity of the property by herself, giving the accused the opportunity to talk and spend time with her. Maybe in that time, the accused has developed some sort of fascination with Alesha. With her only being 6, the accused has managed to gain her trust, possibly using the cat. Police may have found cat hairs on Alesha, hence taking the cat for forensics. I doubt the act was premeditated, more-likely something went wrong (I dread to think).

I wouldn't be surprised if Alesha and the accused have known each other during her holiday. Guessing Alesha was allowed to play in the vicinity of the property by herself, giving the accused the opportunity to talk and spend time with her. Maybe in that time, the accused has developed some sort of fascination with Alesha. With her only being 6, the accused has managed to gain her trust, possibly using the cat. Police may have found cat hairs on Alesha, hence taking the cat for forensics. I doubt the act was premeditated, more-likely something went wrong (I dread to think).

Maybe the accused was related to one of the adults in the flat. It would appear the accused stayed in the same block. The cat was asked to be removed so it didn’t starve according to CJ macphail.

I agree whole-heartedly with your theory. I just cannot see this being a random, opportunistic crime. I'm convinced that the accused is either known well by the family, or Alesha herself. I'm baffled as to how she was coaxed out of the home without raising any alarm (looking at the age of the house, I'm sure the doors/windows/floor boards are at least a little creeky). Having said that, if the home is shared, I'm sure the occupants are quite used to hearing noises in the night, from others moving around.

This case has absolutely broken my heart - that poor, sweet little angel.

As an aside, interesting that cars are being seized, since the man/boy arrested is only 16 (or under 18, according to other sources), not legal driving age... perhaps irrelevant, but worth noting.
Could a 16 year old carry a six year old to the distance that Alesha was found, without being seen? Maybe, at a push. Could a sixteen year old drive a car, in distress, to this location, without being seen? Less likely to me.

How heartbreaking . Poor girl. I have only been to Bute once (years ago) with my mum. We stayed in Rothesay when we were there. I don’t have a lot to add, just wanted to say I’m following the thread.

He can’t be named for two reasons his age and the Scottish law given he is under arrest . I know who he is and it is right at this stage of the investigation that he is not named . Even knowing his correct age may lead to his identification

Mark Williams-Thomas on Twitter
Where's the trumpet emoji when you need it :D

I've seen news reports saying there were the grandparents, the father and his girlfriend, making 4. No idea who the 5th person would be.
Yes I too have read many reports saying the child's dad does live with child's grandparents, but stays over his girlfriend's when his child came to visit. Which makes me think there may have only been 2 adults that night.
Unless another person was also having a sleep over there.

Yes I too have read many reports saying the child's dad does live with child's grandparents, but stays over his girlfriend's when his child came to visit. Which makes me think there may have only been 2 adults that night.
Unless another person was also having a sleep over there.

Any reports that you can share the links to please?

A quick look on twitter will show you how they think he was known to her and the family link.

I would think there is a family link but the names on twitter afaik are hearsay. I'm edging towards a sexual assault which turned into murder. Probally suffocation and a possible cover-up with a close relative due to the removal of cars and a panicicking teanager. I expect the cat removal was because it's a crime scene and the MIT arnt cat sitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth