UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think Alistair was having an affair, just my thoughts and he was going to expose something so he was blackmailed as I say just y thoughts.
Yea an affair is also a possibility, it's just usually there not hard to find out if you look into the person's phone records, messages, emails etc. But maybe he made sure he was covering his tracks by erasing this content. What do you mean he was going to expose something? Do you mean Alistair was going to go public with the affair? Or was it perhaps a case of the gunman was the husband or partner of the women who Alistair was having an affair with? And was trying to blackmail him into given him something?

Are you trying to imply that Veronica knew the gunman? I just find it bizarre if she did know who the gunman and didn't want to sisal to him then why get Alistair involved?
No, I dont think either person knew who was on the doorstep- that doesn’t mean the murder wasn’t linked to the wife and not AW. I think it’s plausible that it could be related to something in VWs life and they asked to speak to AW- gave him an envelope of something evidential, AW returns upstairs questions his wife and returns back downstairs to send whoever it is packing or to dispute - he was used as a warning. JMO as a possible alternative.

But from where the gun was placed it was on the passenger side which can mean only one or two things in my opinion, he either had a getaway driver who was directly involved in this or he made his escape via motorbike.

Another possible option would be that he was still on foot at that point. Using the alleys down the back of Crescent Rd, Bath St and Claymore Gardens then through the grounds of the museum looks like you could get most of the way to Seabank Rd avoiding roads completely.

It's also possible (unlikely, but possible) that the gun wasn't dumped on the night of the murder. If we consider that it could have been a local, based on the rarity of the gun involved and the fact that similar guns have been discovered in Nairn, then he could have escaped to his house on the night of the murder and ditched the gun another time to arouse less suspicion - maybe when out walking a dog or something.

No, I dont think either person knew who was on the doorstep- that doesn’t mean the murder wasn’t linked to the wife and not AW. I think it’s plausible that it could be related to something in VWs life and they asked to speak to AW- gave him an envelope of something evidential, AW returns upstairs questions his wife and returns back downstairs to send whoever it is packing or to dispute - he was used as a warning. JMO as a possible alternative.
It definitely can't be ruled out, it's strange that so many local people think she had something to do with it. I just find it really extreme for someone to send another person to go to the door to send a warning to Veronica, if she was having an affair with that person. Because if it was an affair you'd want to keep it quiet, but by killing Alistair it would expose what had been going on, and it's seems really extreme to kill Alistair who would have been a victim of an affair that was going on behind his back. I think if there was an affair that had taken place it would probably most likely had been Alistair as he was working away alot, and there was always the possibility that he may have had a fling with someone else's wife.

The cctv is very telling as it was certainly messed with. The camera on the building had the cctv turned the other way. A lot of cctv was not working through a fault. The pub cctv had apparently been turned off ! I think maybe the affair was just something somebody had on Alistair but he was going to expose someone ? just my thoughts.

Seabank Road at that time of night especially in the month of November is usually relatively quiet. Of course you wouldn't grow any suspicion if you saw someone pulling up to the side of the road to where the drain is located. But once you were aware that later on that's where the murder weapon was placed then i dare say your suspicion would grow and you'd definitely be thinking "was the guy that pulled over in his land rover that night an innocent person, or was he infact the killer"? I know from a purely personal perspective that my suspicion would be getting the better of me.
Really happy that you have mentioned the Royal Marine apartments, I have brought this up in previous discussions that this could have been a likely place for the car to be parked. Its an ideal location and the gunman could easily have hidden himself in plain sight by running across the open field which would have been pitch dark by this point in order not be seen by anyone.
I don't know if there is ccttv operating on that building at all, or if there would have been at the time, but if not then it's very possible that this was the destination in which the killer used to escape, as it was on his route out of nairn.
I agree also that there is no chance that the killer parked on the double yellow lines which would have drawn unnecessary attention to himself. Something is drawing me to the links open car park or the Royal Marine apartments, i don't think we're far of the mark.
As for the last piece on your previous post, I don't think the killer took that route at all, the route which we think he used, is most likely the one he used to escape.

The front of our house faces a 700 yard road, heading directly down from the main road (Sitting in the lounge you can see straight up it). Immediately before posting this I saw alight blue Meriva type car , stopped at the top of the street, driver got out leaving door open; boot opened for a few seconds then driver got back in while another two people got in the back (they must have been behind the car) - car then did a three point turn and drove off onto main road. I saw this while leaving the spare room (which is next to livingroom), while drinking the dregs of a cup of tea on the way to the kitchen - I wasnt especially looking for cars - it was there.

Most of the time, I am aware (especially in daylight) of lots, and I mean lots of comings and goings with cars. Most memorable are badly parked (It is amazing what you see), or people leaving doors wide to the road: at night, while there are less there is still an incredible amount of comings and goings (the example above clearly wasn;t someone visiting anyone): I would not - unless the car happened to be right at our house, really pay too much attention or concentrate (99% of movements we would be aware of but not remember); if the car stopped at the drain briefly it might never have been noticed: even if it was, unless cars stopping there was very unusual with no description of any vehicle, someone seeing it might not connect anything to it specifically. I certainly wouldn't recall what day a particular car stopped weeks later, if others stopped there it would only be more confusing.

I hedge my bets that it was a car, either at marine apartments, or on seafield road. Either place, no one would really notice someone just popping into a car 'normally'. I don't know the precise distance between drains in the adjoining streets in Nairn (most have one at each junction), I've always felt the killer always planned to put the gun where they did (whether because they did not look for other drains or otherwise) - guaranteeing once on the main road they were not carrying a gun.

I was more thinking along the lines of if you were driving behind the car that was used after the killing and you saw them pullover randomly towards that drain and saw the person get out of the car to walk over to the opposite of the car, I'm sure if you had witnessed that then were told 10 days later that this was where the gun was dispossed you would be highly suspicious that this was the getaway car.
I'd go along with the getaway car being parked either in the marine apartments or in the links caravan park. I couldn't see the killer parking the car on Seabank Road itself as its still a fair distance away from Alistairs house - even at running pace, he would have risked been seen by someone undoubtedly. From the information that i know of nobody seen him him flee the scene apart from Veronica. There was also another earlier report that he apparently nearly knocked over an elderly couple over when he turned left of crescent Road heading towards Marine Road, this was the last possible sighting of the gunman, which makes me believe he has a car waiting for him nearby. But again the police have failed to add this piece of information to there more recent appeals

I was more thinking along the lines of if you were driving behind the car that was used after the killing and you saw them pullover randomly towards that drain and saw the person get out of the car to walk over to the opposite of the car, I'm sure if you had witnessed that then were told 10 days later that this was where the gun was dispossed you would be highly suspicious that this was the getaway car.
I'd go along with the getaway car being parked either in the marine apartments or in the links caravan park. I couldn't see the killer parking the car on Seabank Road itself as its still a fair distance away from Alistairs house - even at running pace, he would have risked been seen by someone undoubtedly. From the information that i know of nobody seen him him flee the scene apart from Veronica. There was also another earlier report that he apparently nearly knocked over an elderly couple over when he turned left of crescent Road heading towards Marine Road, this was the last possible sighting of the gunman, which makes me believe he has a car waiting for him nearby. But again the police have failed to add this piece of information to there more recent appeals

I reckon he was parked at the apartments; Seabank Rd would be about three minutes walk from there. I discount Links Car Park given the killer then almost certainly turned right onto Marine Road: I would expect it would be more natural to go right onto the main road and pull off anywhere to offload the gun. (Whatever, naturally to put distance between yourself and the crime scene - not turn toward the end of Crescent Road again)

I don't think the car stopping by the drain would seem out the ordinary; yes - if you saw the person get out the car etc, but who's to say the killer - if they were aware of a vehicle behind them didn't just pretend to be on their mobile or something? Bear in mind, the killer was not seen at any point after the end of crescent road, but he had to get to some form of transport: maybe he was just lucky and no one saw/noticed him enough to pay any attention / find his actions odd.

It definitely can't be ruled out, it's strange that so many local people think she had something to do with it. I just find it really extreme for someone to send another person to go to the door to send a warning to Veronica, if she was having an affair with that person. Because if it was an affair you'd want to keep it quiet, but by killing Alistair it would expose what had been going on, and it's seems really extreme to kill Alistair who would have been a victim of an affair that was going on behind his back. I think if there was an affair that had taken place it would probably most likely had been Alistair as he was working away alot, and there was always the possibility that he may have had a fling with someone else's wife.

In looking at VWs demeanour in interviews I used to have the feeling she was hiding something/edgy. Of course, the recall of that night's events certainly explains a lot, however my gut instinct is she had nothing to do with what happened, but probably is edgy to an extent because she can not reveal anything about what AW said to her

I keep thinking about this and it makes my head hurt! So to recap let's assume the sole intention of the killer that night was to kill AW. By that I mean there wasn't anything else that needed to be dealt with before killing him. Let's also assume the general consensus is correct and that the whole incident took around ten minutes.

Our killer aarrives at the the Wilson's house. Veronica answers the door and the caller asks for AW by name. Veronica fetches him.

Our killer does not kill AW immediately. We don't know why. Perhaps because other people are around or for some other reason. Clearly the killer didn't have his gun in his hand ready or appear threatening to AW. Instead they engage in conversation for "a couple of minutes". At some stage AW is given an envelope with the word Paul written on it. Again we have no idea at what stage he was given this or why he accepted it.

There are several possible reasons he may have been given the envelope.

As a distraction technique
For him to put something in
It had something in it for him
For him to pass on to someone else

A distraction technique would appear to be the most likely if the sole purpose of the visit was to kill AW.

After a few minutes AW returns inside his house with the envelope. We don't know why. To ask Veronica something? Because he considered the conversation finished? Because he needed to fetch something? Why did the killer allow AW to return inside with the envelope? How did he know AW would reappear at all? How long would he have waited? How could he possibly know he could complete his mission?

At this stage it does get very confusing. We know that if the ten minute timeline is correct AW must have spent a good five or six minutes back inside the house. Yet he's said to have had only a brief conversation with Veronica. Twice as long as he spent talking to the killer though. He was said to be bewildered and asked Veronica if she was sure the killer had asked for him by name. I'd be amazed, unless AW himself had something to hide, if he didn't give Veronica a full account of what had just happened. After this period of discussion AW decided to go and see if the killer is still there. Why? and indeed why was the killer still there? Something isn't right here. AW can't have told the killer to hang on or anything as he only decided to go back out after talking to Veronica. Either AW was always going back outside which is why the killer was still there or he he just made a spur of the minute decision to do so and it's a mystery why he thought the killer might be and why the killer was. If it's the former he mislead Veronica. If it's the latter it's really odd the killer was still there. It just doesn't gel. I don't get the timings or the sequence of events. Five or six minutes must have seemed like an eternity for our killer to wait.

AW returns outside and is shot pretty much immediately and the killer retrieves the envelope before escaping. It's totally unclear whether the envelope had any real importance or not.

Or could it just be bad reporting? I do think it's crucial to know if AW did just decide on the spur of the moment to go back out or not. It changes everything really.

The timings for me are odd too. However, VW does repeat in interviews that the timeline is 'vague' in that she presumably is only estimating times.

Let's say 2 minutes between the door going, VW getting AW and AW going to door. Two minutes on the doorstep, 1 minute to get up the stairs, 1 minute back down makes 6 minutes. (I suggest less than a minute to get to the door) - however, this leaves a possible (up to) four minutes (if AW was immediately shot, and the event lasted 10 minutes) during which AW spoke with his wife, scratched his head or something....

I’m not sure it’s an affair either- the police know the conversations that happened that night- but are not revealing anything even many years later- why not? One assumption could be to protect someone, but the immediate victim no longer needs protecting, that leaves his wife. All JMO when pondering why nothing else has ever really been released about that night.

I think there was something in that envelope that was relevant to Alistair, that he took out before going up to Veronica, so therefore if he wanted to hide anything from her it would seem what was written on the envelope would not give anything away or be suspicious to Veronica. I think it was blackmail and the contents of the envelope was part of that.

The issue I have with that theory is that why would AW then go back upstairs at all? If this was something he wanted to hide from his wife, unless he had to go upstairs to retrieve something (did he - if so what reason would there be to not divulge this?) - all he needed to do was conclude his conversation with killer and he could have then told his wife anything? Why make the event stand out by acting confused and asking his wife about it in any way?

I’m not sure it’s an affair either- the police know the conversations that happened that night- but are not revealing anything even many years later- why not? One assumption could be to protect someone, but the immediate victim no longer needs protecting, that leaves his wife. All JMO when pondering why nothing else has ever really been released about that night.

Indeed. "Alistair bewildered by what the Gentleman had said" is what VW states. While I totally understand the Police need to hold information back to 'help' the case, I don't get what 'bewildered' in this case really means.

Bewildered as in absolutely no idea what the killer meant? (Absolutely no connection to AW at all)

Bewildered as in AW knew that the killer was talking about something relevant to him?

In that scenario, it can't have been to do with the bank (Why speak to his wife)?

The cctv is very telling as it was certainly messed with. The camera on the building had the cctv turned the other way. A lot of cctv was not working through a fault. The pub cctv had apparently been turned off ! I think maybe the affair was just something somebody had on Alistair but he was going to expose someone
The cctv is very telling as it was certainly messed with. The camera on the building had the cctv turned the other way. A lot of cctv was not working through a fault. The pub cctv had apparently been turned off ! I think maybe the affair was just something somebody had on Alistair but he was going to expose someone ? just my thoughts.
Sorry fo
I reckon he was parked at the apartments; Seabank Rd would be about three minutes walk from there. I discount Links Car Park given the killer then almost certainly turned right onto Marine Road: I would expect it would be more natural to go right onto the main road and pull off anywhere to offload the gun. (Whatever, naturally to put distance between yourself and the crime scene - not turn toward the end of Crescent Road again)

I don't think the car stopping by the drain would seem out the ordinary; yes - if you saw the person get out the car etc, but who's to say the killer - if they were aware of a vehicle behind them didn't just pretend to be on their mobile or something? Bear in mind, the killer was not seen at any point after the end of crescent road, but he had to get to some form of transport: maybe he was just lucky and no one saw/noticed him enough to pay any attention / find his actions odd.
He didn't need to turn right into marine Road in order to gain access to the links caravan park. He could simply exit Crescent Road and run straight ahead into the un-lit links field, and from there he could cut across to the car park without anyone seeing him as its literally pitch dark on that open field.
I have to disagree with you on the whole car scenario, there is no way if I'm the killer and I'm trying to escape the area as quickly as possible that i would then waste time pulling the car over pretending to be on my phone or checking my tyre, in order to ditch the gun. I'm out of there as fast as I can without anybody seeing me or drawing any unnecessary attention to myself, especially at the location where I'm dumping the gun. I have to believe that the gun was dropped and disposed of quickly and efficiently, so either an accomplice driver was present or in my opinion the gunman made his great escape on a motorbike.

He didn't need to turn right into marine Road in order to gain access to the links caravan park. He could simply exit Crescent Road and run straight ahead into the un-lit links field, and from there he could cut across to the car park without anyone seeing him as its literally pitch dark on that open field.
I have to disagree with you on the whole car scenario, there is no way if I'm the killer and I'm trying to escape the area as quickly as possible that i would then waste time pulling the car over pretending to be on my phone or checking my tyre, in order to ditch the gun. I'm out of there as fast as I can without anybody seeing me or drawing any unnecessary attention to myself, especially at the location where I'm dumping the gun. I have to believe that the gun was dropped and disposed of quickly and efficiently, so either an accomplice driver was present or in my opinion the gunman made his great escape on a motorbike.

In regards to turning right onto Marine Road, I meant when exiting the Links Car Park. If the killer's instinct was to get out of town as soon as possible it makes no sense why they would travel from Links Car Park in to the road where the gun was found (whichever way they went) - assuming the killer took the road to Inverness they could quite easily have disposed of the gun in the trees along the road (and it might never yet have been found);

In regards to turning right onto Marine Road, I meant when exiting the Links Car Park. If the killer's instinct was to get out of town as soon as possible it makes no sense why they would travel from Links Car Park in to the road where the gun was found (whichever way they went) - assuming the killer took the road to Inverness they could quite easily have disposed of the gun in the trees along the road (and it might never yet have been found);
He would have had to have turned right from marine apartments onto marine road so it would make no difference. From marine road the killer would have drove from there to Seafield Street, then from Seafield Street turned left onto Seabank Road which would have taken him up to the end of the road where the gun was dumped. By going this route he avoided the main road busy road including cctv footage, and also avoided driving past the police station. This route is known as the links area of Nairn as its not lit up and its located at the back of Nairn so it makes sense that this was his escape route. Former detective Peter Bleksley and fiona walker who made the podcast "Doorstep Murder" also have the same view along with the police.

I think the gunman wanted rid of the gun ASAP as he didn't want to have been pulled over by the police incase they searched the car and found criminal evidence. Remember the gun was found accidentally by the council workers, if it wasn't for them the gun would never have been found. Even though people might think this is a bit reckless, he did pull it off and sent the police on a wild goose chase looking for the murder weapon which they didn't actually find themselves.

I think the gunman wanted rid of the gun ASAP as he didn't want to be pulled over by the police incase they searched the car and found criminal evidence. Remember the gun was found accidentally by the council workers, if it wasn't for them the gun would never have been found. Even though people might think this is a bit reckless on the gunman behalf , he did pull it off and sent the police on a wild goose chase looking for the murder weapon which they didn't actually find themselves.

Please read the analysis of professor David Wilson who has studied hitmen for a number of years, he gave an analysis of the hitman who murdered Alistair Wilson, he describes him as a master hitman. Please read towards the end, and you will see that David says that it's not uncommon for a hitmam to dump the murder weapon close to the murder scene.

Press and Journal

HOME/NEWS/HIGHLANDS/
Man who killed Alistair Wilson was a “master hitman”
ed1558effd640dfbdfb4e457e4df39f8
Ashleigh Barbour
6 years ago
alistaIR-WILSON-e1416832995461-660x4961.jpg

Alistair Wilson

Hollywood would have us believe that hitmen only strike in smokey bars, underground clubs and drive-by shootings.

For such a carefully-planned, clinically-executed killing to happen in a small Highland town would have been unthinkable before November 28, 2004 – the day Alistair Wilson was shot dead.

Criminologist and expert in profiling serial murderers, Professor David Wilson, says that the surprising thing about hits is that they usually happen in the last place to people would expect – and that even a quiet community such as Nairn was never immune.

He described the gunman who killed Mr Wilson as the ultimate “master hitman” – and says he believes he will never be caught.

Prof Wilson started researching the characteristics of assassins after serving Her Majesty’s Prison Service as a governor and latterly as Head of Prison Officers.

The Scottish criminologist said that hitmen could be put into four distinct categories.

“The first type is the ‘novice’. This is someone who is at the beginning of their killing career, possibly having just picked up their first contract,” he explained.

“The second is a ‘dilettante’. It’s usually someone older without a criminal background, who sees the quick fix money of a contract kill as their only way out of a financial crisis.

“Category three is the ‘journeyman’, who is an experienced, reliable, career criminal. But it is usually their connection to a specific criminal underworld that will lead to their downfall.

“The master hitman I don’t know a lot about – these are the types that are never caught.

Professor David Wilson
“The most professional hit committed in Britain to this day is the murder in Glasgow of gangland boss Frank McPhie in 2000, who was shot dead in front of his house while his young son watched.

“When I started doing my research many people said hitmen don’t go up the door and ring the doorbell and shoot the person.

“But it’s not unusual at all for a master hitman to literally go to the door in broad daylight and shoot.

“We assume that hits take place in some smokey bar or casinos in the underworld. But the fact is most British hits take place in the community.

“They take place in open air, where people are walking their dogs or returning from the cinema.

“The concept of where and when a hit will take place is a media stereotype.”

Prof Wilson said the characteristics of the hitman who entered Nairn that fateful night tallies with what he has discovered through his research.

He said the gunman knew exactly what he was doing and how to cover his tracks.

“The master hitman comes into the community, conducts the shooting and then leaves,” he said.

“The reason they are not caught is because they are forensically aware and they don’t come from the local community where the hit transpired.

“There will be no local intelligence that the police can use to find out who he is, and they will leave no forensic evidence behind.

“Sometimes they leave the gun behind, which is consistent with this case. Often the guns are modified and smuggled into the country.

“Cracking the case comes down to what was in the letter Mr Wilson was handed, and what was said to Mrs Wilson when he went back inside.

“But then again, this was a professional, a master hitman. It’s unlikely he will ever be found.”

He would have had to have turned right from marine apartments onto marine road so it would make no difference. From marine road the killer would have drove from there to Seafield Street, then from Seafield Street turned left onto Seabank Road which would have taken him up to the end of the road where the gun was dumped. By going this route he avoided the main road busy road including cctv footage, and also avoided driving past the police station. This route is known as the links area of Nairn as its not lit up and its located at the back of Nairn so it makes sense that this was his escape route. Former detective Peter Bleksley and fiona walker who made the podcast "Doorstep Murder" also have the same view along with the police.

I absolutely agree on the route: If you look back through the posts, you'll see a map I doodled some time back. I am referring specifically to the Links Car Park (rather than the car park at the apartments); the latter makes much more sense - the killer is always heading away from the scene. If in the Links Car Park he would have to pass by the end of Crescent Road again.

I remain dubious about the Motorbike, the killer was wearing Jeans: while he might have had a layer below this, the end of November is hardy balmy conditions, particularly when cruising with a 50MPH wind (or more) hitting you.

Also, Motorbikes aren't exactly stealth vehicles: personally I would be more likely to notice a motorbike due to hearing it first: ditto where the drain was: there is no line of sight from the nearside house (Wall and hedge) - they would likely never hear a car, but you would hear a motorbike. Also by the time a biker dons their gloves and crash helmet, a car driver is already moving (even if they do so quickly). Hard to say what type of jacket the killer had, whether it was suitable for motorcycling. Also, if anyone saw a motorcyclist park up in a car park and walk away - personally I would see that as more suspicious - Motorcycles tend not to get left far from where the rider is going (if not taken right to the spot) - OK you might not know they are not going somewhere close (if seeing them) - but a car would attract far less attention.

Knowing several motorcycle owners there is a good reason they park them up around October (early). Misting visors, condensation, road spray with salt, sheer cold being the main reasons. (Of course, some people do use motorbikes in winter).

I genuinely believe the killer knew where they were going to plant the gun (The traffic lights force traffic to stop anyway) - we do not know how busy that road was at the time, it is conceivable the killer's was the only car on the move: if they could see the 'coast was clear' before dropping the gun, there is no reason why a car would be more suspicious than a motorcycle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back