UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Really great posts and theories- a lot to think about.
My 3 questions- why is there no picture of the suspect?
Why shoot someone over the decking- if it was the builders, they still don’t get paid. If it was the landlord, then it was a flawed plan as VW continued the objections afterwards- although of that were her suspicions I can see why she stayed early on and kept objecting, but from an outsiders point of view it’s a little illogical.
Final question- Did VW run over to the pub for help or did the staff hear the commotion and run out?

Well a lot of it does seem illogical. If the shooting was connected with a dispute over the decking it is quite hard to see how VW felt safe to stay on where she was. After all she's the only other person known to have seen the gunman. She'd be living near the people who its thought may be behind it. However it's the police who have brought this theory up. They must have some reason for doing so. If it's the case it's even harder to see what the envelope has to do with it all.

I have always wondered if there was anything more written on the envelope than just the name PAUL. Locals staying in Nairn believe there was, and also that there was something inside the envelope initially that AW took out before he showed VW. I don't believe in AW own mind that he was finished speaking to the gunman when he went back inside, I think he always had the intention to go back outside to see what was going on. I wonder if the gunman rang the doorbell a second time for AW to go back downstairs? Maybe the Police have that quiet, as only the gunman and the people close to him would have known what transpired that night.

Are there any details where the locals got these ideas from? As far as is known VW is the only person to have seen the envelope. According to the police the envelope was empty (based on VWs testimony) so how did locals get to understand these was something in the envelope?

It's just local rumours, according to them, there was more than just Paul written on the front of the envelope.
It wouldn't surprise me in all honesty, i did find it very bizarre when the Police revealed that the name "PAUL" was on it, one of the officer's had a similar sized envelope in his hands but it had nothing written on it. If I was the Police I would have had the name written on the front of the envelope, along with the colour of pen used and what font size was used aswell, and would have realised this into the public domain. Yes it might be a far stretch to far, but it could jog someone's memory, but the police won't reveal anything else apart from the name "Paul was on it" after so many year's that have gone by, why are they so hesitant to give that public the full and true account over what happened on the doorstep?

May 1 2022
Key witness in Scots banker's doorstep killing was at scene of shooting as probe takes new twist - Daily Record
''The key witness in the unsolved murder of banker Alistair Wilson was at the scene of the shooting within minutes and helped paramedics get him into the ambulance.

The Sunday Mail can reveal that publican Andy Burnett stopped the dying dad from slipping off the stretcher and fixed his watch as it came loose before comforting Alistair’s traumatised wife.

Police Scotland last week revealed that a planning dispute over the Havelock House Hotel, then owned by Mr Burnett and just a few steps opposite the doorstep of the Wilson family home in Nairn, could hold the key to solving the 2004 murder.

Retired Metropolitan Police detective Peter Bleksley has told how he met Mr Burnett in 2009 for a book he was writing on the murder. He told him of pressures he had been under running the bar and restaurant and details of the night Alistair, 30, died.''

May 1 2022
Alistair Wilson murder: Key witness helped victim into ambulance | Scotland | The Times
''The key witness interviewed by detectives investigating the murder of a Scottish banker on his doorstep 18 years ago was at the scene of the shooting within minutes and helped paramedics get the victim into an ambulance.

Andy Burnett told a former policeman writing a book on the case that he prevented Alistair Wilson, 30, slipping off a stretcher and fixed his watch as it came loose before comforting his distraught wife Veronica.''

May 1 2022
Key witness in Scots banker's doorstep killing was at scene of shooting as probe takes new twist - Daily Record
''The key witness in the unsolved murder of banker Alistair Wilson was at the scene of the shooting within minutes and helped paramedics get him into the ambulance.

The Sunday Mail can reveal that publican Andy Burnett stopped the dying dad from slipping off the stretcher and fixed his watch as it came loose before comforting Alistair’s traumatised wife.

Police Scotland last week revealed that a planning dispute over the Havelock House Hotel, then owned by Mr Burnett and just a few steps opposite the doorstep of the Wilson family home in Nairn, could hold the key to solving the 2004 murder.

Retired Metropolitan Police detective Peter Bleksley has told how he met Mr Burnett in 2009 for a book he was writing on the murder. He told him of pressures he had been under running the bar and restaurant and details of the night Alistair, 30, died.''

May 1 2022
Alistair Wilson murder: Key witness helped victim into ambulance | Scotland | The Times
''The key witness interviewed by detectives investigating the murder of a Scottish banker on his doorstep 18 years ago was at the scene of the shooting within minutes and helped paramedics get the victim into an ambulance.

Andy Burnett told a former policeman writing a book on the case that he prevented Alistair Wilson, 30, slipping off a stretcher and fixed his watch as it came loose before comforting his distraught wife Veronica.''

I know it's stating the obvious but he wouldn't be a key witness if he wasn't there.

Sounds more like the paper is using that in order to indicate something else.

Was just reading over superintendent Graeme Mackie's statement. This part of his statement really stood out for me:

Through significant enquiries being carried out we believe the answer to Alistair's murder lies within his personal life and not in his role with the bank.
Someone locally will have that piece of information that could be crucial to catching his killer and providing answers for his family."

So he's saying someone locally will have that piece of information. So in Police code, there basically telling us they have a reason to believe this was why he was killed, even stranger they believe someone from the hotel or who had a connection to the premises will know who was responsible. I find this statement in isolation absolutely astonishing.

Was just reading over superintendent Graeme Mackie's statement. This part of his statement really stood out for me:

Through significant enquiries being carried out we believe the answer to Alistair's murder lies within his personal life and not in his role with the bank.
Someone locally will have that piece of information that could be crucial to catching his killer and providing answers for his family."

So he's saying someone locally will have that piece of information. So in Police code, there basically telling us they have a reason to believe this was why he was killed, even stranger they believe someone from the hotel or who had a connection to the premises will know who was responsible. I find this statement in isolation absolutely astonishing.

Or potentially someone at the hotel itself.

Or potentially someone at the hotel itself.
Exactly, as i said previously i find his statement astonishing. Either the Police have stumbled across something in there recent review, ie, new evidence, or they combed through the old case file and realised they completely overlooked something and felt the need to properly Investigate this line of enquiry. The appeal against the decking has been known for years so why now do they feel it's significant? My opinion is they clearly missed something that was staring at them straight in the face first time round

Exactly, as i said previously i find his statement astonishing. Either the Police have stumbled across something in there recent review, ie, new evidence, or they combed through the old case file and realised they completely overlooked something and felt the need to properly Investigate this line of enquiry. The appeal against the decking has been known for years so why now do they feel it's significant? My opinion is they clearly missed something that was staring at them straight in the face first time round

The police flew to Canada to interview the former landlord. Subsequent to that the police have made tbe statements about the decking. Additionally the landlords account of that interview says that the police asked him about someone else. If that's correct the police have a name. It's all quite tangled and we don't know how accurate the landlords statement is. Something must have turned up that made a trip to Canada worthwhile. More than anything it's interesting they have made it public when they have pretty much kept everything else they know secret for years and years.

Sorry to go so far back, but I have just joined and have been reading through the thread. On this point:
Maybe Alastair was supposed to "know" what the blue envelope "meant" .
Could it be related to the murder of Alexander Blue? His unsolved murder in Glasgow, took place just two years before Alistair Wilson's. Both seemed well to do, living in big houses above their means. My theory is, that Alastair had been approached by someone trying to get access to a secret account that Alexander had. They did eventually trace this account, but not until 2009, so that part is fact.
Bankrupt murder victim's secret fortune discovered by lawyers
Why would "Paul" be trying to access money held by Alex Blue? Well Alex apparently ripped off a lot of gangsters, so this could be a case of someone trying to retrieve their money back. If you were desperate to access an account, who better to help than someone working in the bank? I suspect that Alistair's path may have crossed with "Paul" possibly through borrowing money
Claims shot Nairn banker owed gangsters £50,000
Then they tried to force him to do this job for them. There has never been any suggestion that Alistair was in any way dishonest, so, if frightened he may have chose to quit his job rather than comply, thinking that would be the end of the matter. Those two murders always seemed similar to me because they were not run of the mill Scottish murders and weren't that far apart in time and both have never been solved. Also, look at the description of one of the two men seen sitting outside Alex's house the night of the murder:
"a man in his 40s, around 6ft with shaven head, built like a builder."
From this source:
WHO KILLED ALEX BLUE?; Cops are baffled by tycoon's death Wall of silence despite big reward Gangsters and lawyers quizzed. - Free Online Library
Sound familiar? Yes, there is the height difference, but bear in mind, this was an estimate of someone sitting in a car and a baseball cap is a good disguise for a bald head.
If the colour and name on the envelope were significant then that may be why it was taken.

Sorry to go so far back, but I have just joined and have been reading through the thread. On this point:
Maybe Alastair was supposed to "know" what the blue envelope "meant" .
Could it be related to the murder of Alexander Blue? His unsolved murder in Glasgow, took place just two years before Alistair Wilson's. Both seemed well to do, living in big houses above their means. My theory is, that Alastair had been approached by someone trying to get access to a secret account that Alexander had. They did eventually trace this account, but not until 2009, so that part is fact.
Bankrupt murder victim's secret fortune discovered by lawyers
Why would "Paul" be trying to access money held by Alex Blue? Well Alex apparently ripped off a lot of gangsters, so this could be a case of someone trying to retrieve their money back. If you were desperate to access an account, who better to help than someone working in the bank? I suspect that Alistair's path may have crossed with "Paul" possibly through borrowing money
Claims shot Nairn banker owed gangsters £50,000
Then they tried to force him to do this job for them. There has never been any suggestion that Alistair was in any way dishonest, so, if frightened he may have chose to quit his job rather than comply, thinking that would be the end of the matter. Those two murders always seemed similar to me because they were not run of the mill Scottish murders and weren't that far apart in time and both have never been solved. Also, look at the description of one of the two men seen sitting outside Alex's house the night of the murder:
"a man in his 40s, around 6ft with shaven head, built like a builder."
From this source:
WHO KILLED ALEX BLUE?; Cops are baffled by tycoon's death Wall of silence despite big reward Gangsters and lawyers quizzed. - Free Online Library
Sound familiar? Yes, there is the height difference, but bear in mind, this was an estimate of someone sitting in a car and a baseball cap is a good disguise for a bald head.
If the colour and name on the envelope were significant then that may be why it was taken.
Welcome to Ws @PCG, thank you for chiming in with those intriguing tidbits!

To me that is a strange reaction, to run passed your shot husband and over the road, rather than screaming and trying to help him or even just staying with him- but maybe that’s just me I need to clarify, I’m not victim bashing- merely think this is another part of the story that doesn’t make sense and maybe has missing aspects.

I think it's totally normal to try and get immediate help from a pub very close by. The pub is almost on their doorstep. It's across a very thin road. Not what you'd expect of a normal street.

I do not believe for a second his wife was involved in this and there are no red flags to suggest otherwise on the 999 call..

I have always thought this crime was more personal than white collar. ( bank) I also do not think the decking was the motive, but i do think it was part of a wider fall out that came to a head over the decking complaint.

I believe whatever was in that envelope had to either involve his wife or he went to ask her something re how the person at the door got the enevleope contents & that is why he went back in to talk to her about it. I wonder if that is that crucial bit of information that is withheld from police, or the police are withholding from the public?

In my opinion this crime was not carried out by a professional hitman and I have never thought so. Turning up at his home on a Sunday evening, chatting to him, waiting for him to return is all very personal.

It is no coincidence that a man went to his door with an envelope, 2 days after the landlord recieved a letter from the council re Alistair's complaints and objections. Andy had perhaps innocently mentioned this to others in the pub ( given the fact they’d already fallen out). And others in the pub weren't so happy ( Drug dealers)

I believe photographs were also sent in with his complaint of the deck and it's this that upset the dealers ( Perhaps an image he took capture them dealing.)

The famous envelope was simply reused because the person had it to hand. ( hence Paul being written on the front. ) This leads me to believe it was for a birthday card, perhaps hand posted through the door of the acomplis/killer for his sons birthday.

When a little girl is given a card their envelope is generally pink or cream. A boy usually receives cards in a blue envelope. The name on the front would just confirm this.

Or had Alistair himself written on the front of the envelope and was it he who had originally given it to Paul? The caller simply went round with the envelope to discuss its contents. Alistair was bemused that a man he didn't know seemed to know about the envelope and its contents. ( maybe this is what he went in to discuss with his wife). Maybe when he returned Alistair said something that angered the man further who then opened fire.

I don't believe the person necessarily went with the intention of killing Alister, but took the weapon as a back up incase the encounter did turn violent. ( I'm not suggesting Andy Burnett was involved but he likely knows more than he's said previously, fear perhaps ).

Alistair had been having an affair and there were rumors Veronica was also having an affair with the chef whome Andy Fired for closing up that night after the shooting. All this shows me is that the fued between them had been going on for a while and culminated in the shooting after the decking complaint...

Someone turned the CCTV round that should of been facing down crescent Rd that night so you would persume an earlier time that day the person who did that would of been captured doing so.

After the crime the man who originally knocked on the door would of been parked on the links carpark ( a place the tracker dogs did follow a scent to) he then drove off down Marine drive, onto Seafield street then onto seabank road, ( No cctv route) where the passenger ( killer) dropped the gun down the drain before taking the A96. Likley headed for Invernes.

I believe the police are looking for a local drug dealer, clearly with a history of violence, who was most likley interviewed very early on in the process and overlooked, (as often happens.) Either his name or his sons name is Paul and either or had celebrated a birthday the day before or the day of the shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's totally normal to try and get immediate help from a pub very close by. The pub is almost on their doorstep. It's across a very thin road. Not what you'd expect of a normal street.

I do not believe for a second his wife was involved in this and there are no red flags to suggest otherwise on the 999 call..

I have always thought this crime was more personal than white collar. ( bank) I also do not think the decking was the motive, but i do think it was part of a wider fall out that came to a head over the decking complaint.

I believe whatever was in that envelope had to either involve his wife or he went to ask her something re how the person at the door got the enevleope contents & that is why he went back in to talk to her about it. I wonder if that is that crucial bit of information that is withheld from police, or the police are withholding from the public?

In my opinion this crime was not carried out by a professional hitman and I have never thought so. Turning up at his home on a Sunday evening, chatting to him, waiting for him to return is all very personal.

It is no coincidence that a man went to his door with an envelope, 2 days after the landlord recieved a letter from the council re Alistair's complaints and objections. Andy had perhaps innocently mentioned this to others in the pub ( given the fact they’d already fallen out). And others in the pub weren't so happy ( Drug dealers)

I believe photographs were also sent in with his complaint of the deck and it's this that upset the dealers ( Perhaps an image he took capture them dealing.)

The famous envelope was simply reused because the person had it to hand. ( hence Paul being written on the front. ) This leads me to believe it was for a birthday card, perhaps hand posted through the door of the acomplis/killer for his sons birthday.

When a little girl is given a card their envelope is generally pink or cream. A boy usually receives cards in a blue envelope. The name on the front would just confirm this.

Or had Alistair himself written on the front of the envelope and was it he who had originally given it to Paul? The caller simply went round with the envelope to discuss its contents. Alistair was bemused that a man he didn't know seemed to know about the envelope and its contents. ( maybe this is what he went in to discuss with his wife). Maybe when he returned Alistair said something that angered the man further who then opened fire.

I don't believe the person necessarily went with the intention of killing Alister, but took the weapon as a back up incase the encounter did turn violent. ( I'm not suggesting Andy Burnett was involved but he likely knows more than he's said previously, fear perhaps ).

Alistair had been having an affair and there were rumors Veronica was also having an affair with the chef whome Andy Fired for closing up that night after the shooting. All this shows me is that the fued between them had been going on for a while and culminated in the shooting after the decking complaint...

Someone turned the CCTV round that should of been facing down crescent Rd that night so you would persume an earlier time that day the person who did that would of been captured doing so.

After the crime the man who originally knocked on the door would of been parked on the links carpark ( a place the tracker dogs did follow a scent to) he then drove off down Marine drive, onto Seafield street then onto seabank road, ( No cctv route) where the passenger ( killer) dropped the gun down the drain before taking the A96. Likley headed for Invernes.

I believe the police are looking for a local drug dealer, clearly with a history of violence, who was most likley interviewed very early on in the process and overlooked, (as often happens.) Either his name or his sons name is Paul and either or had celebrated a birthday the day before or the day of the shooting.

Some really good points made, but some of those point's I just can't go along with. For example, if the gunman mentioned the decking to AW and there was evidence of his complaint inside the envelope over the decking, then AW would have explained this to VW what the visit was about, from her testimony she clearly states that AW didn't know the man and that AW didn't understand the envelope or why it had been given to him, or why the name Paul was on it.
I'm sure if VW had any indication that the visit of the stranger was to do with the decking dispute then she wouldn't have ran over to the hotel. Also when Andy Burnett went over to comfort her straight after the shooting then I'm sure she would have went of on one at him and blamed him for the gunmans visit.

Nobody goes round to someone's door armed with a loaded gun incase the encounter turned into violence, if that's the case then maybe threaten them with a knife, it wasn't like AW was an intimidating person who was violent and had a bad reputation of assaulting people with weapons.
I don't buy the whole "he took the weapon as back up incase things got out of hand" it's worth noting that the only aggressor in this was the gunman, he went to AW door uninvited and killed him in cold blood, he took a loaded fire arm with him, so he obviously had clear intentions on killing him or seriously injuring him, otherwise why go through all the un necessary hassle of sourcing the weapon in the first place? This is Nairn it's not an area known for this sort of crime, It seems such an over the top thing to do, the worst thing Al would have done to him would have most likely called the Police, or told him to get of his doorstep, was the gunman clearly that case sensitive and cowardly that he couldn't handle this? And decided he was going to pull the trigger on him? It's all amateur psychology but for me there is no way he took the gun as back up incase things got out of hand.
As for local drug dealers, every small town has them, all they care about is making a profit at others expense, the majority of them don't want to draw attention to themselves by catching the cop's attention, so I definitely think it's a stretch to far to believe they got involved over a planning dispute which wasn't there business. I honestly couldn't see Andy Burnett discussing the ins and outs of his business and planning permission to some local cowboy's, or entertaining local drug dealers on his premises.
Drug dealers are selfish and couldn't careless, especially with matters that don't involve there money or business. Even if they did get caught dealing in a premises they would soon move onto somewhere else

I note that the article says that PAUL was written on the BACK of the envelope. Is that correct as I never realised that before. I'd assumed it was written on the front in the way you would normally address an envelope.

The article isn't brilliantly written so can anyone confirm where PAUL was written?

first of all, please tick all your like boxes, as there have been many enlightening posts.

no, David id either heard, or assumed that Paul was written on the front....maybe thats answered one of my questions today, which was going to be why the envelope was sealed when there. was nothing in it...my possible solutions were going to be that it was either to provide a. flat surface to write on...id assumed. that the. other stuff was written on the back....or that it had got sealed by mistake, which seems unlikely.

the police statement hardly sounds as though. the police are convinced by the decking theory...more. like they've explored every other avenue...but, of course, they may be playing it down....assuming all the parties are telling the truth....as. if....it. would seem as. if. there was. nothing on the envelope to point towards the decking. theory, or they'd have pursued it from the beginning...I thought the envelope was brought from hone by the gunman, with someone he knew called Paul having received it, but. this seems less. likely if Paul was written on the back.

just a possible scenario. for the. decking theory....the. report. of the 2 men on the beach comes in and the description of the younger man ties in with a. description someone had given....burnet maybe...of someone who'd been. shouting their. mouth off about. the decking incident or who had listened to burnets complaints and became angrily sympathetic...the police. seem to. have. tied this up with a certain person because burnet has told the police that. he didn't really know him...so someone. burnet. had. encountered.

have the police. interviewed the chef....did he disappear after. he was sacked.

who. was the older man on the beach.

when burnet. said that aw. seemed to be living above his means, did he just mean that or. did the remark reflect a local feeling. that. aw was getting above himself, or was. he. even deliberately trying. to make the police. believe that aw was.flashing the kind of. money around that he couldn't have got from his job and was therefore probably involved in some funny business

if Paul was written on the back it could explain why the police haven't revealed what else was written on the envelope...there could have been a name and address on the front of someone who had no. connection to the murder....the gunman could. have. picked. it out of a bin or whatever

if Paul was written on the back it could explain why the police haven't revealed what else was written on the envelope...there could have been a name and address on the front of someone who had no. connection to the murder....the gunman could. have. picked. it out of a bin or whatever
but then...the police could have said that without revealing the details....who knows...not me, evidently

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back