UK and Eire Forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, for single topic inquiries, there's always the search feature.

I think we ought to wait till a proposed UK/Ireland forum/sub-forum - Fluttershy's original idea - gets blown out of the water before coming up with a compromise solution.

A forum/sub-forum would be there, hard-wired, for anyone to find with a bit of looking. An Up to the Minute collection of UK/Ireland threads would necessarily dip down the posting ledger quite far if the only things posted on it are existing and then new thread links. Very hard to find unless a person already knew what he or she was looking for.

I thought vaguely about just listing all the UK/Ireland threads on my blog but we run into the same problem - how are people who are new here, or people who come every so often, going to know that the threads which might interest them are collected on some cornball guy from Oklahoma's WS blog site? One of those "go figure!" things.

I think we should continue to ask for more posts in support here of Fluttershy's idea. If that doesn't work out after, oh, a couple weeks - we have no time limit, really - then we can come up with something else. I agree that an Up to the Minute thread would definitely be better than nothing, though.

Ahhh, I got the impression from earlier postings that it may take quite a while to gather enough support for the idea to be able to put a viable proposition forward - I was just thinking, 'well, an index would do in the meantime'.

I have popped a link to here in my sig, so that may been seen by a couple more folk. It would be nice if those who joined for a particular case stuck around and a community could develop :)

Hi Rhino hide, well I think thats a crap idea :floorlaugh:

lol, not really. I think thats a great alternative but would prefer a dedicated forum or sub forum if we could have it. But thats my opinion only and I've had a few red wines tonight so please forgive me :blushing:

And to you Sir/madam :slap:

:)

Ahhh, I got the impression from earlier postings that it may take quite a while to gather enough support for the idea to be able to put a viable proposition forward - I was just thinking, 'well, an index would do in the meantime'.

I have popped a link to here in my sig, so that may been seen by a couple more folk. It would be nice if those who joined for a particular case stuck around and a community could develop :)
Good idea(s). As this thread's stuck over here in Forum Finesse, few would see it unless alerted to it (the same old story), so I'm all in favor of an Up to the Minute thread for the time-being, to begin to build such a community.

I said the same thing a month ago
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - UK UK (Wales) - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 01 Oct 2012 *ARREST MADE* - #3

As for the "Up To The Minute" idea: I don't know the difference between "Up To The Minute", "Crimes In The News", "Hot Cases" ..... they all sound the same to me. And I can't fathom why cases have to be moved around the boards, you know, "Located", "Trials", "Awaiting Trial" ...

If there's a case that interests me (that's already been brought to my attention), I might come on Websleuths and see if I can find a discussion on it. Otherwise I don't visit the site. I find it all too much of a jumble. Sorry.

I get what you're saying - the thread title can be/is changed to reflect found, trial etc, but they could stay in their own UK/Ireland home :)

Well, for single topic inquiries, there's always the search feature.

Somehow reading through volumes of legislation seems easier :)

Anyway, this is a cosy little corner right now, and I like that links to new UK/Ireland threads have been posted here.

Annual Garda Mass for Deceased Staff of An Garda Siochana will be held at St Francis Church, Liberty Street, Cork City at 7.30 p.m. on Thursday, 15th November 2012.
‘The annual Mass provides us with an opportunity to gather and pray for our colleagues who are no longer with us. It is a special occasion to celebrate their lives and to remember what they have done for An Garda Siochana’ stated Chief Superintendent Finn, Divisional Officer for Cork City Division.

The Mass will be celebrated by Fr Seraphin of St Francis Church whose father was a member of the Force. Fr Seraphin outlined ‘It’s our honour at St Francis Church to hold the Mass and it re-enforces our strong connection with An Garda Síochána in Cork City and especially with the Bridewell Garda Station’.

John Murray, a retired Sergeant, is one of the driving forces behind the annual Mass and he explained ‘As serving members of An Garda Síochána we were part of a vital and supporting group of society and this yearly celebration allows us to honour our deceased colleagues together’.

All serving and retired Gardaí, Civilian Staff, their families and friends are invited to attend the mass. Refreshments will be served after the mass in St Francis Parish Hall.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=10192

ags_crest.gif
Wreath%20laying.JPG

As I see it, we already have cases out of Canada, as well as an American missing from Germany, and I think there have been a couple from Australia. How about just calling it an international forum, for cases not in the U.S.? Wouldn't that cover a broader scope, in case someone goes missing from, say, Italy or France?

SBM

I agree with this. I'm always on the look out for the Australian cases, but I find that they don't attract the same kind of attention as cases from the US do. As this is a US based forum this is to be expected, but if there were one place where all of the cases from other countries could be found (as another user suggested, possibly with sub-forums - eg. Australia, Canada, etc) I think it would make them easier to find and would attract more posters. It makes me sad that some of the missing cases from here (Australia) go virtually untouched on Websleuths (Jill Meagher is the obvious exception, may she rest in peace), I think this would help the locals be able to find them a lot easier.

This wouldn't stop me from posting on the rest of the website either, as I tend to jump around the forum after reading through the cases I am currently 'following'. For me, it would just make the cases that are closer to home easier to find.

Very good idea! It has my vote. :)

I love the UK and Eire thread. In fact I'd like a Europe thread so I could easily see what is happening where. Even better a clickable world map!!! Maybe that's asking too much.....

I love the UK and Eire thread. In fact I'd like a Europe thread so I could easily see what is happening where. Even better a clickable world map!!! Maybe that's asking too much.....
Almost too cool for reason, that map idea. Here's hoping!

One thing that might help this cause is, if those of you who post on cases in other countries - Australia, say - would link this particular thread there, so that others agreeing that a forum should exist which would contain other than U.S.-based cases might come here and give a thumbs up.

I have exciting news for the Brits: Exciting news thread
I just saw your thread on this in another forum :) Thanks for the heads up - it's really great news we now have a NAMUS style site for the UK cases. The Unidentified section on Doe Network for UK cases was quite small understandably so a UK based site produced by the police and Missing Persons Bureau will have lots more information.

Sorry I just saw this thread but love the UK/Ireland forum idea! I try to post in some of the American case threads and try and help where possible but probably be better with the UK/Irish cases.

Just looking through this new site, I saw this case - http://www.missingpersons.police.uk/en/case/05-018910/4kr444F

The details are sketchy and its a long shot but I wonder if Pat Allen has been looked into? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-uk/730dfuk.html

The unidentified woman had a signet ring with "Pat" on it. I know the estimated age on the new site is 60-70 but the body was found in Brent which is only about 40 minutes away from where Pat Allen lived and the death date was given as 2-10 years before the discovery in 1983. Pat disappeared in 1975 aged 39 and obviously decomposition could make age estimating difficult.

I think it's a tiny chance but is it worth leaving a message on the form on the website to have a look? Would never want to start a new thread on this case based on these very loosely connected details but thought I would post here. A UK forum would be great for us to throw some possible ideas around no matter how much of a long shot they are (like this one I think! :))

I know the estimated age on the new site is 60-70 but the body was found in Brent which is only about 40 minutes away from where Pat Allen lived

Am I missing something? It says that Pat (and her two children, also missing) lived in Salcombe, which is in Devon and considerably more than 40 minutes away from Brent :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back