UK UK - Ann Heron, 44, found at home with throat cut, Darlington, 3 August 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Factors against Michael Benson being a suspect in the AH murder are that he has not been connected to the location and had no history that is ever reported of actual violence against women. He was also said to possibly be based in nearby Leeds, which is actually 67 miles away by road so hardly nearby. His addition to the story is, IMO, completely bizarre and has the effect of deflecting attention from the only person arrested in connection with the murder. Benson was also conveniently deceased when his name was inserted into the story. He's also not been connected to the inquiry by Durham Constabulary.

Wondering if others in the local pubs had an eye on the barmaid, or if some disapproved of the new community members, 'teach a lesson''? speculation, imo.

From link, ty..

''Whoever killed her is believed to have been at the house an hour or so before Peter arrived home.

Witnesses later described seeing a man, with a deeply suntanned complexion and in his 30s, driving a blue Ford-type saloon car away from the property at high speed around 5pm.''

''As they searched for motives, officers discovered the widower had recently started having an affair with a local barmaid.''

''A spokesperson added: “The murder of Ann Heron has been thoroughly investigated and subject to constant review over the last 33 years, including the use of new investigative techniques with the advancement of forensic technology.''

The case was highlighted on Look North on Friday with a plea from her son. It's been 30 years since the murder and the family have no answers. What I object to is the continued insertion of the now (conveniently deceased) Micheal Benson into the case on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. I have asked Jen Jarvie, an advocate for PH (husband of the late AH) who has peddled this story on this thread, to reveal Benson's history of violence towards women without reply. Only one man has been arrested in this case and, unfortunately for her family, there has been insufficient evidence for a conviction. That Michael Benson has never been a suspect for Durham Constabulary speaks volumes.

The case was highlighted on Look North on Friday with a plea from her son. It's been 30 years since the murder and the family have no answers. What I object to is the continued insertion of the now (conveniently deceased) Micheal Benson into the case on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. I have asked Jen Jarvie, an advocate for PH (husband of the late AH) who has peddled this story on this thread, to reveal Benson's history of violence towards women without reply. Only one man has been arrested in this case and, unfortunately for her family, there has been insufficient evidence for a conviction. That Michael Benson has never been a suspect for Durham Constabulary speaks volumes.

Maybe worth having a read of this. This is in response to an ongoing IOPC complaint

As regards Benson - the above is part of that. Obviously there is evidence, part of which was given in the documentary, part of which was given in the papers and part is being given in a forthcoming publication. I have his psychiatric file and criminal file and history through extensive interviews which is where the research is based from - not peddled.
In the 33 years, Peter Heron was a suspect from 2005, which is also part of the article. The lack of evidence was that there wasn't any and the falsehood in the complaint was built around it. Just because someone is the only one ever arrested does not equate to their guilt. Peter Heron has an alibi for the whole afternoon.

Last edited:
Hi @shadwell.

During your media trawl, have you come to any conclusions of the time of the meeting PH attended that afternoon? In the C5 documentary his daughter said that the meeting started at 3.45pm, lasted half-an-hour and that he left around 4.20. In 2015 PH stated that the meeting started at 3.15 and that he left at 4.30, arriving back at his office (via Croft village) around 5.00.

If the meeting lasted for half-an-hour, then in his version it would of ended around 3.45, so what was he doing for 45 minutes between then and when he left at 4.30? Also, why does his time of the meeting differ from his daughter, it seems odd that they have given different statements referring to this.

TIA
To clarify Peter was called to an unexpected meeting at 3.15pm and left for the meeting at 3.45pm what lasted till 4.20pm. From there he left and took the long way back to the office arriving at about 4.45pm. The journey was witnessed by several people. I hope that clarifies.

Thank you CSIAngus for your astute comments ( respectfully bolded by me)

In my opinion, a classic example of “SMOKE and MIRRORS”

( definition courtesy of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

something intended to disguise or draw attention away from an often embarrassing or unpleasant issue

My opinion.

Some people will believe anything they hear on television or read in a newspaper, particularly if it’s repeated enough times.

I’m not among them.

I do not regard such stories as ‘evidence’

Just saying!
Just because all of the evidence has not been made public does not mean it does not exist. Theories regarding Benson are based upon information not accessible to the public. This is still an open investigation and many elements are not for armchair detectives to publically disseminate.

There are wilder theories about this case where books have been written and the authors have relied solely on such described dubious open sources having never even spoken to the family.

Just because all of the evidence has not been made public does not mean it does not exist. Theories regarding Benson are based upon information not accessible to the public. This is still an open investigation and many elements are not for armchair detectives to publically disseminate.

There are wilder theories about this case where books have been written and the authors have relied solely on such described dubious open sources having never even spoken to the family.

I look forward to hearing the evidence when this case is solved

Maybe worth having a read of this. This is in response to an ongoing IOPC complaint

As regards Benson - the above is part of that. Obviously there is evidence, part of which was given in the documentary, part of which was given in the papers and part is being given in a forthcoming publication. I have his psychiatric file and criminal file and history through extensive interviews which is where the research is based from - not peddled.
In the 33 years, Peter Heron was a suspect from 2005, which is also part of the article. The lack of evidence was that there wasn't any and the falsehood in the complaint was built around it. Just because someone is the only one ever arrested does not equate to their guilt. Peter Heron has an alibi for the whole afternoon.
So what is the evidence of Benson's violence towards women and what evidence connects him the the scene of the murder? You keep claiming that you have his criminal and psychiatric files but publish nothing from them. 'I know things that you don't' is not evidence. I'm happy to consider your theory but only based on facts about Benson. For instance, convictions are read out in court and are therefore in the public domain, so are any of Benson's for violence against women?

Last edited:
Really strange case. Having seen the CW reconstruction, read about the case, and seen the documentary it is still a mystery, and I feel a lot of facts, and background information have not been released into the public domain (for instance, Ann's social circle, her 1st Husband, or any contacts back in Scotland). The police seem to think the guilty party is the husband. He was having an affair which suggest all wasn't well in their relationship, and was unlikeable in the documentary,
However, if he was the culprit (or set it up via a hit) surely he would either refuse to take part in the show, or at least present a better image of himself. He hasn't kept a low profile since the murder, and most of this concerns trying to clear his name. This edges me towards the theory that HE IS innocent. The sperm in the throat, the lack of a clear break in, sexual assualt or struggle though is pretty damning for him though

Really strange case. Having seen the CW reconstruction, read about the case, and seen the documentary it is still a mystery, and I feel a lot of facts, and background information have not been released into the public domain (for instance, Ann's social circle, her 1st Husband, or any contacts back in Scotland). The police seem to think the guilty party is the husband. He was having an affair which suggest all wasn't well in their relationship, and was unlikeable in the documentary,
However, if he was the culprit (or set it up via a hit) surely he would either refuse to take part in the show, or at least present a better image of himself. He hasn't kept a low profile since the murder, and most of this concerns trying to clear his name. This edges me towards the theory that HE IS innocent. The sperm in the throat, the lack of a clear break in, sexual assualt or struggle though is pretty damning for him though
Welcome to Ws Westchester76!
This is a strange case, cannot help but suspect a self-righteous local did it, nothing to back that up though, imo, speculation, imo.

Welcome to Ws Westchester76!
This is a strange case, cannot help but suspect a self-righteous local did it, nothing to back that up though, imo, speculation, imo.
Would a self-righteous local (what would they be self-righteous about?) be careful not to damage property, remove her bikini bottoms, use a box cutter of the type used by haulage companies as the murder weapon, and do so in a downstairs location where PH's semen just happened to be concentrated, including in her throat. The out of character long way home on that day is also incriminating IMO. Why did PH make that bizarre journey on the very day his wife was murdered and not on some other random day?

To clarify Peter was called to an unexpected meeting at 3.15pm and left for the meeting at 3.45pm what lasted till 4.20pm. From there he left and took the long way back to the office arriving at about 4.45pm. The journey was witnessed by several people. I hope that clarifies.
Why did he take the long way back to the office?

Did someone disapprove of the new attractive neighbour sunbathing at the front of the house? Did someone passing by think ''she deserves what she gets'', or an underwear enthusiast unable to resist stealing her bottoms? speculation, imo. fwiw
5 Aug 2023 rbbm.

''The 44-year-old donned a bikini and stretched out on the grass as the sun beat down.''

''As is the case in many unsolved murders, attention had been quickly turned to Ann’s husband Peter.

One week after the murder, it was revealed that the 55-year-old with a 23-year-old barmaid at a nearby spa.

Data fuelled speculation that he may have been responsible for Ann’s death.

Peter told police he had left a meeting at Cleveland Bridge at 4pm and drove a route back to his office through the village of Croft-on-Tees and Middleton St. George.

This wasn’t the most direct route, and police initially felt he had a missing amount of time which could not be accounted for between 4pm and 5.50pm''

''The Northern Echo, the paper that serves the Darlington area, even received strange letters written from a person claiming to be Ann’s killer.''
They read: ‘Hello editor, it’s me…Ann Heron’s killer!’ and ended ‘Your readers will have plenty to talk about. Signed The Killer.’'
Durham Police say they are continuing to use advances in forensic technology to review items recovered from Ann’s home in their search for answers.''

"Information can be reported to Durham Constabulary via 101, anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or via the portal https://mipp.police.uk/operation/11HQ020101X43-PO1''

Last edited:
10 hours ago lengthy rbbm
1691510669051.png
Ralph Cockburn (right) was working as a police officer in Glasgow when he got the phone call informing him of his mother's death

''Mr Cockburn, a former Strathclyde Police officer, said that his mother's case was the only murder he had been associated with that had not been solved.
"That does make it difficult. I've just got to put my faith in the police at Darlington," he said.

"It's been a long time that they've been investigating, so clearly there have been some mistakes and some errors made - but on the whole I think they've done a good job."

''Missing jigsaw piece​

Last week Durham Police said detectives are using new forensic techniques to review items recovered from Ms Heron's home.
Officers are also reviewing all information submitted by members of the public and have urged anyone who might know something from that day to get in touch.
"It might be that missing piece of the jigsaw that someone has sat on for all these years and might not realise its significance," Mr Cockburn said.

"Or otherwise it might be someone out there that has known something for the last 33 years and they just haven't come forward. I'd ask them to search their conscience to help put this matter to rest.''

Did someone disapprove of the new attractive neighbour sunbathing at the front of the house? Did someone passing by think ''she deserves what she gets'', or an underwear enthusiast unable to resist stealing her bottoms? speculation, imo. fwiw
5 Aug 2023 rbbm.

''The 44-year-old donned a bikini and stretched out on the grass as the sun beat down.''

''As is the case in many unsolved murders, attention had been quickly turned to Ann’s husband Peter.

One week after the murder, it was revealed that the 55-year-old with a 23-year-old barmaid at a nearby spa.

Data fuelled speculation that he may have been responsible for Ann’s death.

Peter told police he had left a meeting at Cleveland Bridge at 4pm and drove a route back to his office through the village of Croft-on-Tees and Middleton St. George.

This wasn’t the most direct route, and police initially felt he had a missing amount of time which could not be accounted for between 4pm and 5.50pm''

''The Northern Echo, the paper that serves the Darlington area, even received strange letters written from a person claiming to be Ann’s killer.''
They read: ‘Hello editor, it’s me…Ann Heron’s killer!’ and ended ‘Your readers will have plenty to talk about. Signed The Killer.’'
Durham Police say they are continuing to use advances in forensic technology to review items recovered from Ann’s home in their search for answers.''

"Information can be reported to Durham Constabulary via 101, anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or via the portal https://mipp.police.uk/operation/11HQ020101X43-PO1''
How would the murderer know that AH was alone at the house? How did PH know that the murderer wasn't still in the house 'when he found AH's body'? Only PH would know the answer to both questions. IMO

Last edited:
How would the murderer know that AH was alone at the house? How did PH know that the murderer wasn't still in the house 'when he found AH's body'? Only PH would know the answer to both questions. IMO
PH, after a car drive home that defies explanation, discovers his wife horrifically murdered then sends his best friend into the house to check if AH has indeed been murdered without any thought that the murderer might still be there waiting to pounce again. Of course, PH new that wasn't going to happen. IMO

PH, after a car drive home that defies explanation, discovers his wife horrifically murdered then sends his best friend into the house to check if AH has indeed been murdered without any thought that the murderer might still be there waiting to pounce again. Of course, PH new that wasn't going to happen. IMO
The car drive 'home' was from his office and took less than 3 minutes. Peter Heron rang the emergency services then his work which as it was so close they arrived prior to the police and ambulance.
I think it's difficult for anyone to assume what Peter did or did not think without hearing it from him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho
Back