Found Deceased UK - Anthony Knott, 33, last seen at a pub in Lewes, Sussex, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anyone considered that Anthony may have had a secondary SIM card for his phone, even without his partner Lucy knowing? His phone suddenly going off, SIM card removed, new SIM card inserted, new phone number activated then possibly arranged being collected? I'm not 100% sure if the phone IMEI number would be shown up with this new SIM card? Any phone experts know how that would or wouldn't work?

I think where he went for 20 mins between passing the E&C and back again is the key to finding a solution. If he continued on the LHS of the road he would have had to turn into the narrow Paddock Road or the Wallands (an expensive housing area) or he would have had to cross over and continue in the direction of Landport.

Has anyone considered that Anthony may have had a secondary SIM card for his phone, even without his partner Lucy knowing? His phone suddenly going off, SIM card removed, new SIM card inserted, new phone number activated then possibly arranged being collected? I'm not 100% sure if the phone IMEI number would be shown up with this new SIM card? Any phone experts know how that would or wouldn't work?
He had an iPhone so would need to log into his account to let the phone work, or create a new account. This takes ages, trust me I got a new iPhone last week put new sim in, didn’t have to create a new account so logged in. Once I logged in the phone number/sim is irrelevant it automatically transfers all your apps and photos etc even with a new phone number. Heartbreakingly Lucy posted about an hour ago a picture of his phone again- it is an older iPhone, so charge would no longer be great on it, but it showed an unclear photo (non identifiable children) on the phone screen of him obviously at a children’s Christmas nativity .

He had an iPhone so would need to log into his account to let the phone work, or create a new account. This takes ages, trust me I got a new iPhone last week put new sim in, didn’t have to create a new account so logged in. Once I logged in the phone number/sim is irrelevant it automatically transfers all your apps and photos etc even with a new phone number. Heartbreakingly Lucy posted about an hour ago a picture of his phone again- it is an older iPhone, so charge would no longer be great on it, but it showed an unclear photo (non identifiable children) on the phone screen of him obviously at a children’s Christmas nativity .

He could have signed in to the phone with a new anonymous apple ID which only takes a couple of minutes to create after the new SIM is inserted. If he did want to get away then he would be prepared to do this.
What I am trying to think of is if the actual phones ID - IMEI number would be transmitted with the SIM, I did once know the answer to this ages ago but I can't remember.

FWIW I think he has gone missing intentionally. A new SIM is very easy to sort out with a bit of cash and it could be possible he had already created a new apple ID.

If he hasn't been picked up on any further CCTV yet nor in the water and hasn't been found in town or very local then one must look into him having left the area, a lot easier to do than people would think.

He could have signed in to the phone with a new anonymous apple ID which only takes a couple of minutes to create after the new SIM is inserted. If he did want to get away then he would be prepared to do this.
What I am trying to think of is if the actual phones ID - IMEI number would be transmitted with the SIM, I did once know the answer to this ages ago but I can't remember.

FWIW I think he has gone missing intentionally. A new SIM is very easy to sort out with a bit of cash and it could be possible he had already created a new apple ID.

If he hasn't been picked up on any further CCTV yet nor in the water and hasn't been found in town or very local then one must look into him having left the area, a lot easier to do than people would think.
I agree creating a new account is easy, just need a new email- but honestly then the phone updates iOS, asks you a million things to set it up like finger prints, voice recognition, card details etc that would all have needed to be done in advance. Somewhere there would be evidence of a new email account surely.

Alternatively the possibility of a second phone. Many reasons why someone might.

I agree creating a new account is easy, just need a new email- but honestly then the phone updates iOS, asks you a million things to set it up like finger prints, voice recognition, card details etc that would all have needed to be done in advance. Somewhere there would be evidence of a new email account surely.

You can bypass all the stuff like finger prints, entering card details, voice recognition. He could set the phone up very quickly with minimal security features too, a 4 digit pin code to unlock or even take off the phone lock completely.

I've tried all this with an old Iphone 6 I've got spare just now and a new SIM compared to the old SIM. It worked and I made a call all within 3 minutes of putting the SIM card into the phone.

A new email account can be in any name whatsoever, he could call himself Shirley Temple if he wanted to on the new account. That only took me 90 seconds to set up.

I still can't work out if his phone IMEI would become traceable with a new SIM fitted to it via the phone networks or Apple. If it can be traced then I would be ruling this out immediately because the police would have then traced the new SIM phone number.

I watch the series Hunted in the UK and the stuff those hunters have access too is unbelievable regarding mobile phones. Not sure if you have watched any of the series, but the technology they have access too regarding phones being in areas is quite amazing.

With Anthony's phone switched off, it would still ping onto the local masts for a while afterwards. Hopefully an expert in the Police has checked this thoroughly rather than just check his itemised bill and online account for calls or texts.

He also may have disposed of his Iphone securely and used a completely different ' burner ' phone to get away.

hi all new poster as a father of 4 and being 33 this sad case resonated with me I've been looking on YouTube at some of the cctv footage frome Lewes on the evening. I've found something possibly interesting but not sure and was a bit worried to post. At 00.13 a group walk past and a chap in a baseball cap has a very similar profile to AK so please take a look

hi all new poster as a father of 4 and being 33 this sad case resonated with me I've been looking on YouTube at some of the cctv footage from Lewes on the evening. I've found something possibly interesting but not sure and was a bit worried to post. At 00.13 a group walk past and a chap in a baseball cap has a very similar profile to AK so please take a look

That footage is on the Lewes Present facebook page.
The family will have seen it as they have been active on the page from the beginning.
I guess they didn't think it was him.

Lost iPhone? Use Find My iPhone to find it
So many ways to locate an iPhone even with a dead battery- but only within the first 24 hours.

It does look like the phone can be traced with the IMEI number, the phone networks will be able to confirm whether that the actual Iphone he owns has been turned on or used even with a different sim card using the IMEI number. I think I'm ruling out him using a new SIM in his current phone, that would be traced quickly.

14 videos worth of footage

It's difficult isn't it?
Police are examining cctv footage, businesses and householders have been asked to look at theirs, but how many men of average height wearing dark clothes might have walked somewhere in Lewes on the night of the 20th?
Unless the images are pretty clear, it'll be easy to mistake someone for being him, or for dismissing someone who might be.

I'd have put a week's wages on the footage from the North Street filling station being him, but the family said it wasn't and I suppose they have to have the final word.

It's difficult isn't it?
Police are examining cctv footage, businesses and householders have been asked to look at theirs, but how many men of average height wearing dark clothes might have walked somewhere in Lewes on the night of the 20th?
Unless the images are pretty clear, it'll be easy to mistake someone for being him, or for dismissing someone who might be.

I'd have put a week's wages on the footage from the North Street filling station being him, but the family said it wasn't and I suppose they have to have the final word.
It's hard isn't it as you just want it to be a match! It was the shape of the face but glad people on here are up to date helpful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200107_082315_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200107_082315_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 105
It’s firmly my opinion that AK left intending not to return to the works party. I’ve seen too many clues now that all point to this. I obviously don’t have enough information to know whether that means he was

a) going home

b) starting a new life

c) thinking of ending his life,

but I have a very strong inclination it was (a) and I’ve seen nothing to suggest (c). In fact swinging along as he does in the footage suggests active purpose and not heavy depression, or even feeling ill. I also think (b) is not likely at all. I don’t think he’d make a wrong turning on leaving the Lamb and I think he would have a very well thought out plan if that was the case. Continuing with (b), 18 minutes between the E&C sightings doesn’t seem long enough to have reached a destination and had something happen which has altered his plan, for him to come back.

So the clues that add up to not intending to return to the party, for me, are –

1) his difficult journey to Lewes. 2.5 hours makes me think he is anticipating a difficult journey home. Trains were back to normal I think, but I don’t know if AK knew that, given earlier cancellations and track flooding.

2) if he was intending on buying anything for the group, let’s just say for this instance a takeaway, he would know they were waiting on his return, they would probably not move on until he came back, he would not have walked past Fisher Street (even if he missed it he would know he had as soon as he got to Market St and doubled back to them), they would probably have been alarmed in case he’d come to harm or was lost and not left Lewes without looking for him, he would probably not have assumed they would wait for him much longer if the stint in the Lamb was coming to its probable conclusion around 20 minutes after he left, and he would have been worried about losing them in an unfamiliar town, instead of heading off in a completely different direction and not being seen again inside the Lamb or outside the E&C looking for them. For some of these reasons I don’t think he was looking for cigarettes either.

3) apparently his mates can’t remember anything so I have to wonder if he had told one of them he was leaving to go home that is also something they wouldn’t remember.

4) I don’t think it’s coincidence his phone went off just after he left the Lamb, the timing is too close to his departure for me to think it wasn’t linked and intentional. I think he may have wanted to conserve battery if he might need it later for sorting out a way of getting home, if there was a hold up on his journey, like contacting Lucy or calling a cab when he got closer to home, or he just didn’t want his mates calling him because he felt bad for not staying.

5) the extra money he would have spent on his journey to Lewes. 2.5 hours in a taxi would be an unexpected expense, for what is normally a journey of half that duration, at an expensive time of the year for a man with children and financial constraints. He might have been out of money except for his return fares, he probably budgeted for the night and they might have started chipping in for more drinks for instance, instead of each buying whole rounds. His anxious look could be to do with worrying about flooding and getting home on time and having no money on him to stay, and this could be why he didn’t have a drink at the Lamb.

6) He looks purposeful, even if he appears to have made a wrong turn at E&C, a mistake would also be purposeful until he realised he’d gone the wrong way

7) data usage seems to tally with looking for information which could be linked to maps but I doubt it with the direction he first took, and the next direction he took after that, without putting his phone back on in the meantime for another check of where he was. There is a bus stop for the 132 bus not far past the E&C at The Avenue mini-roundabout. He could have just stood there for a while having a smoke and waiting for a bus, but it only operates on Sundays and only takes you around Lewes, including Lewes bus station. So then he’s realised he needs to get back to the town centre. I believe he was heading for the bus stop close to the war memorial, and this popped up as one of the closest bus stops to the Lamb when he was accessing data.

So I theorize he was looking for a bus. Whether he actually got on one, one that they haven’t yet checked, or made a different decision when he got there is another matter. The phone not coming back on even once suggests to me he didn’t get on a bus. I don’t know how much of a heavy phone user he was but most people seem to check their phones when they have the opportunity or are idle for any length of time. Perhaps he has darted down one of those narrow dark lanes near the bus stop to relieve himself. Walwers Lane or Church Twitten. But after that?? Not using his cards or phone makes me think foul play.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back