UK - Anthony Parsons, 63, charity cyclist, found deceased, Argyll, Scotland, 29 Sept 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was up in Glencoe on Friday. On the way up and back I noticed a new high deer fence on both sides of the road north of the Bridge of Orchy hotel. Small stretch to the south as well. This is to protect new woodland that has been planted out on both sides recently. It rules out quite a stretch of roadside since he would have been discovered during the digging and planting and construction of the fence. There have been deer fences there before.

I'm still intrigued by the people carrier. I wonder if the police think he may have been picked up and dropped off further down the road. I don't know why but I'm thinking he got a lift, one way or another. People carrier was big enough for taking a bike.

Who knows, this case is baffling.

I'm still intrigued by the people carrier. I wonder if the police think he may have been picked up and dropped off further down the road. I don't know why but I'm thinking he got a lift, one way or another. People carrier was big enough for taking a bike.

Who knows, this case is baffling.

If he’s cycling in the pitch dark at midnight on a wet night in the highlands having cycled for 8 hours at 5mph with another 50 miles to go and he’s not that fit then surely exhaustion and the elements will have come to bear. You couldn’t go on. You’d have to find somewhere secluded to rest and sleep in those circumstances, and that may have been outdoors unfortunately. Strange nothing found though, even the bike.

If he’s cycling in the pitch dark at midnight on a wet night in the highlands having cycled for 8 hours at 5mph with another 50 miles to go and he’s not that fit then surely exhaustion and the elements will have come to bear. You couldn’t go on. You’d have to find somewhere secluded to rest and sleep in those circumstances, and that may have been outdoors unfortunately. Strange nothing found though, even the bike.

Indeed and I am surprised he made it that far.

Having 'surveyed' the route from Bridge of Orchy to Tyndrum again, I feel the search was in the wrong area. Which I was thinking in the early stages.

Running deep into the woods for shelter on that stretch of road would not be easy. It is a steep climb in parts and a fence is present most of the route. If he had been seeking shelter the hotel would have offered it. Plus extensive search in the area revealed nothing.

So again IMO, he is 'lost' beyond Tyndrum and somehow bypassed the CCTV.

Or we look at the possibility that he did not reach the Bridge of Orchy hotel (mistaken sighting - which cannot be ruled out) and is 'lost' somewhere between Glencoe village and BoO.

The 'sighting' at BoO hotel was a visual one, not CCTV, hence the reason no CCTV from the hotel was made public.

Or we look at the possibility that he did not reach the Bridge of Orchy hotel (mistaken sighting - which cannot be ruled out) and is 'lost' somewhere between Glencoe village and BoO.

The 'sighting' at BoO hotel was a visual one, not CCTV, hence the reason no CCTV from the hotel was made public.

Yes. Perhaps. The walking boots suggest some hiking off road may have been intended, and the late start means an overnight stop was also likely planned. Off road, then camping wild? Before dark? Glencoe itself or Rannoch Moor? Maybe part of the challenge? Or the BoO woods very late after the sighting.

Yes. Perhaps. The walking boots suggest some hiking off road may have been intended, and the late start means an overnight stop was also likely planned. Off road, then camping wild? Before dark? Glencoe itself or Rannoch Moor? Maybe part of the challenge? Or the BoO woods very late after the sighting.

Yep, the walking boots and the mountain bike are not what you would use for a 100-mile road cycle. So that may suggest he was planning on going off-road. Even a total novice would know that those were not suitable for that type of ride. And he had discussed the plan with others days before.

Yep, the walking boots and the mountain bike are not what you would use for a 100-mile road cycle. So that may suggest he was planning on going off-road. Even a total novice would know that those were not suitable for that type of ride. And he had discussed the plan with others days before.
Yes. Plenty opportunity to take the bike along the West Highland Way in those parts. Kingshouse to Crianlarich via BoO.

I wonder as well if the B of O sighting is mistaken. Perhaps he came of the road before he got there.Do we know if he knew the road at all? Very odd .

Yes. Plenty opportunity to take the bike along the West Highland Way in those parts. Kingshouse to Crianlarich via BoO.

Indeed. My initial thinking was that he may have followed the old military road that goes over the Rannoch Moor via Blackmount then up onto BoO

I wonder as well if the B of O sighting is mistaken. Perhaps he came of the road before he got there.Do we know if he knew the road at all? Very odd .
I read somewhere he was possibly seen near the ski centre at 9.30 which would be about right. Could easily have been off road before and straight after BoO, following the WHW.

Off-roading alone in a strange area in the dark? That would be verging on clinical madness. From what I understand the WHW is extremely difficult to cycle for an experienced rider even in daylight.

Off-roading alone in a strange area in the dark? That would be verging on clinical madness. From what I understand the WHW is extremely difficult to cycle for an experienced rider even in daylight.
Yes. Not likely.

I read somewhere he was possibly seen near the ski centre at 9.30 which would be about right. Could easily have been off road before and straight after BoO, following the WHW.

Yep, I saw that too. I wondered if they meant the road end to the ski center or actually up at the ski center. The old military road (WHW) is accessible near Blackrock cottage which is up the ski center road.

But it would be crazy for him to go off road in the dark and in the poor weather.

The WHW is difficult to walk nevermind cycle, but he had clearly gone off-road at some point unless the Police and SAR missed him close to the roadside.

Hi guys, this is my first post here - and a long one!

It is good to see there is still discussion about this case well after the (even local) news has moved on. I am an experienced cyclist, semi-local to the area, and have driven the A82 countless times and walked the WHW at a similar time of year. I might be stating the obvious but I have a couple of points that might be of interest

There's been some discussion from cyclists about just how bad an idea this journey was, but I don't think the number and magnitude of the red flags have been fully spelled out to non-cyclists. It will be obvious to any cyclist that Tony is ill-prepared. Couple points here:

Firstly, Tony appears to have ridden what cyclists might call a 'bike shaped object' i.e. a poor quality generic brand bike from halfords or a supermarket. These are notoriously poor for any 'proper' cycling, which a 100 mile epic certainly qualifies as. This raises a range of points. Most importantly, was Tony equipped to deal with any issues that might have arisen? He might have carried spare tubes and a pump in his bag, but stereotypically (and judgmentally) one would not expect a cyclist on this kind of bike to be able to, for instance, replace/repair spokes if his wheel buckled hitting a pothole or fix a snapped chain with a spare pin or quick link. Either of these relatively common issues would render his bike unusable, and leave him stranded at night in the rain.

Second, to my mind he almost certainly overcooked it on the initial leg of his trip from Ft William to Glencoe. For an inexperienced cyclist, on a mountain bike, an average of 11 mph is very impressive. To me it is very unlikely that he could have sustained this pace for 100 miles.

Third, I have not read whether or not he had lights. Regardless, in cycling terminology there are lights to see and lights to be seen. For reliable lights to see that are suitable for 6/7+ hours in pitch black you're talking at least £70/80+. This would be almost the cost of his bike.

Fourth, the A82 is not exactly a cycle-friendly road. It is a trunk road that is very busy with lumber and other goods lorries, buses, tourists etc. The thought of cycling it for 50 miles at night is quite frankly scary. The A85 from Crianlarich is much wider in places and less busy, but not ideal.

Fifth, while mobile network providers' maps claim there is good coverage in the general area, from personal experience there are areas without signal, even in Crianlarich. Coincidentally a significant stretch of the road between BoO and Tyndrum is not served by O2.

In terms of speculation:

Unfortunately it is not unheard of for similar cases to be found to be suicide. The problem with this idea in this case is that his train will have stopped at Tyndrum upper or lower on the way up - so why catch it to Ft William and cycle down? This makes it seem unlikely to me.

There have been suggestions that he might have passed through Tyndrum unnoticed. This seems unlikely - the forecourt camera at the green welly stop clearly catches the entire road, and this is the only road into Tyndrum from the north. However, if he had made his way onto the WHW prior to reaching tyndrum then he would not have been seen by the camera. Notably the route is very close to the road at this point and is a good easily-cycleable track, so would not be that unreasonable.

It is hard to believe he could accidentally take the wrong road before Tyndrum. The B8074 is a single track road. He would need to double back on himself to go to Inveroran. However by BoO he was likely very tired, wet, and potentially disorientated. Perhaps he took a side road thinking it was a short cut? But even then the B8074 leads west when he is going east. Alternatively there is a road to Loch Lyon but I would imagine that has been scoured already.

I really have no idea. If he called it quits for the night or his bike broke and he sought shelter, I would imagine that a reasonably healthy person could survive a night in september if there were no other issues. So why did he not make himself known to traffic on the road the following day?

The WHW is difficult to walk nevermind cycle, but he had clearly gone off-road at some point unless the Police and SAR missed him close to the roadside.

From memory this part of the WHW is relatively easy to cycle, even for a novice. For example see this image shows the general surface between Black Mount and Glen Coe. I think the entire Glen Coe to Inveroran stretch would be doable by a novice, it is similar surface. Inveroran to BoO is what cyclists would call single track, not really appropriate for a tired novice - though there is an alternative road route. BoO to Tyndrum is also a wide easily cycled track.

That stretch looks easy. I wonder if parts have been 'resurfaced'. I remember one stretch that was horrible to walk on foot. Still not a route you would want to do at night time.

That stretch looks easy. I wonder if parts have been 'resurfaced'. I remember one stretch that was horrible to walk on foot. Still not a route you would want to do at night time.
Assuming this cycle challenge was thoroughly pre-planned then it’s not inconceivable an online cycle route planner was used to plot the best course. It’s also likely the quietest route option might then be taken as opposed to just the fastest (and most dangerous). The cycle streets app and other main cycle route planners show a weird option from FW to Tillicoultry straight from BoO off road straight to Loch Lyon And via Killin to Lochearnhead and then on. Could that be a valid off road option given it’s being flagged as the quietest option home? And is taken just at the point he was last seen. All other routes have been searched and this one hasn’t even been at all mentioned.

worth checking on the cycle streets site. The boots certainly suggest off road was planned.

Assuming this cycle challenge was thoroughly pre-planned then it’s not inconceivable an online cycle route planner was used to plot the best course. It’s also likely the quietest route option might then be taken as opposed to just the fastest (and most dangerous). The cycle streets app and other main cycle route planners show a weird option from FW to Tillicoultry straight from BoO off road straight to Loch Lyon And via Killin to Lochearnhead and then on. Could that be a valid off road option given it’s being flagged as the quietest option home? And is taken just at the point he was last seen. All other routes have been searched and this one hasn’t even been at all mentioned.

worth checking on the cycle streets site. The boots certainly suggest off road was planned.

Wow, that sent shivers up my spine. I was just wondering about the Glen Lyon/Loch Lyon route.

Just checked the Cycle street website, it shows the WHW and the Glen Lyon route as options.

And its an area that hasn't been searched.

Wow, that sent shivers up my spine. I was just wondering about the Glen Lyon/Loch Lyon route.

Just checked the Cycle street website, it shows the WHW and the Glen Lyon route as options.

And its an area that hasn't been searched.
Yes. The quietest route option goes from the ski centre over the Black Mount to BoO then to Killin via Loch Lyon so would explain the two sightings and the nothing in between or after.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back