Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #3 *M. Bridger guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Britskate -just popped in out of lurkdom to say, in response to your post about your ex - how very shocking and horrendous! I'm really sorry - that must have been horrible. It also shows that just because someone is nice and seems normal doesn't mean they are. Thanks for posting that x

Hi Frank

Good point.

I find it difficult just finding this thread again.
If one posts on a thread it will automatically be entered into one's Subscribed Threads - at top right under the heading Quick Links you'll find ST. One can also subscribe to a thread by clicking "thread tools" at the top of the thread frame.

It did take me a long time to get used to all this.

...unless as I have posted before he is involved but not in a murder capacity but by some negligence that led to death and panicked

Clutchbag, are you warming up to the idea that some of the evidence could possibly implicate MB in this crime?

Prior to the CRB system coming in, anyone who worked in regular close proximity to children had to have a police record check. This included (but not limited to) teachers, medical profession, pre-school staff and anyone who was employed in a situation where children were residents, but excluding administrative staff who were non residential, such as school receptionists etc.

Whilst this sounds all well and good, in reality it was just another administrative task for the local LE to undertake and could take months to return. As there was no requirement to have this in place prior to the contact with children commencing, very often the person filled in the form, started work and then a couple of months after working there, their clearance came back.

In hindsight, almost totally useless.

Good point Amber,

Even without hindsight I think the crb checks may still be 'iffy'

I thought the CRB was a national database, but it appears not to be.

My brother in law very recently applied for a job as a school bus driver & had to submit CRB forms to each of 3 surrounding councils of the area's he would be working in'. he had to pay £50+ to each council.

My point being;

He was checked for convictions etc in the area's he would be working in, but not in his previous area (London)

Can anybody clarify please?

I've shared it here, and often, before. My ex-husband was charged with raping his then 14 year old niece a few years ago. There were absolutely NO warning signs to ever think him capable of such a crime. He was 44 years old at the time he committed the crime against her.

This was a girl whose diapers he'd changed - who was more like a daughter to him than ever a distant relative - and he drugged her, then raped her, then threatened her should she come forward. She bravely did so, eventually, and he plead guilty to avoid a trial and the potential for a far longer sentence.

Everyone who knew my ex (including myself) was dumbfounded. The vast majority of those he knew adored him - thinking he was a nice guy, charming, likeable, helpful, friendly, gregarious, etc. Some of his family members still protest his innocence.

Incidentally I'd filed for divorce just 6 weeks before he raped her. I've often wondered if that wasn't a trigger somehow - though obviously the blame lies squarely with him.

Predators always start somewhere. Some will have a history, some will begin committing crimes younger - but it's the belief that every one must have a history, a look, a pattern, that allows other predators, who don't, to thrive.

MOO and FWIW

Wow. Just...wow.

Thanks for sharing.

I was married to a dirty old man too (not gone that far but I'm sure he wanted to) the problem is you don't realise it when they're young.

:banghead:

I don't recall reading/hearing anything inferring that she climbed in by herself. I do recall however reading somewhere that the LE said there was no sign of a struggle as such. I think she may have been helped into / put into the vehicle by the driver.
I am not allowed to paste a fb status here from a friend in the area at the time as it is considered 'rumour'.

Jmo.

Yes, I've been thinking about this...IF the car was indeed the Landrover Disco, it is (in my opinion) too high for April to have got into without help, it's also known with her disability she has trouble with her hands, so I would think 'whoever' must have helped her to get in.

I also don't understand why still the 'updates' and reports are saying Van? Is this a legal thing as it was how the police first put out the description or is their another vehicle? I just don't understand why they aren't saying the Landrover???

Good point Amber,

Even without hindsight I think the crb checks may still be 'iffy'

I thought the CRB was a national database, but it appears not to be.

My brother in law very recently applied for a job as a school bus driver & had to submit CRB forms to each of 3 surrounding councils of the area's he would be working in'. he had to pay £50+ to each council.

My point being;

He was checked for convictions etc in the area's he would be working in, but not in his previous area (London)

Can anybody clarify please?

A CRB will check on a central data base so will do national check.

For each organisation you work for you will need a separate CRB.

So if you do part time work at 3 different schools you will need a CRB for each school.

Then if you work for a sports club you will need at crb for that.

If you then work for the Brownies you will need a crb for that.

And so on ..every place you work needs its own CRB so presumably each council needed to do its own CRB check.

Hi there, new to the forum, thought I’d post some of my thoughts and concerns (in no particular order) about the AJ case. My apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said but this thread is getting rather large now and it's difficult to keep in mind who said what and when!

First, is everyone familiar with this Huffington Post article, which provides a picture of a white van supposedly ‘dumped’ by MB?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/02/april-jones-missing-man-arrest-machynlleth_n_1932634.html

The article describes the van as "a vehicle he had use of which is of interest to the inquiry." To the best of my knowledge, however, no further details about this vehicle were ever released. Given that we’ve not been provided with the vehicle’s make, model and registration number I can only assume that the police do not regard it as significant to the investigation, which leaves us with MB’s Land Rover as the only possible “vehicle of interest”. In this context, does anyone know why his Land Rover's number plate is covered up in the published pictures? Is this standard police procedure?

Second, as regards reports of MB’s vehicle being driven ‘erratically’ during the evening in question (and prior to the abduction) it seems to me that this is consistent with it being taken to a garage for repair. Perhaps a clutch or gearbox issue? On a personal level, if I hear something that doesn’t sound quite right with my car’s engine or drive-train then I’ll usually accelerate/decelerate several times in order to reproduce or isolate the problem. Anyone witnessing this would probably classify my driving as ‘erratic’ even though there’s a perfectly innocent explanation. On a related note, if MB’s vehicle had developed a fault (one serious enough to require the attention of a mechanic) then is it plausible that MB abducted AJ in a vehicle he knew to be faulty, perhaps even likely to break down?

Third, I’ve seen articles quoting police spokesmen to the effect that they’re dealing with “vast” amounts of forensic evidence. One assumes, therefore, that they’ve found something far more substantial than a few hairs and fibres in MB’s home and/or vehicle and/or on his person, given that this kind of evidence is likely to be found in the homes and vehicles of everyone who has come into contact with AJ. Under the circumstances it’s difficult to imagine the CPS sanctioning a murder charge in the absence of damning physical evidence. If no such evidence exists then it's hard to understand the nature of the case against MB and the basis on which the police have concluded that AJ is dead.

Fourth, if the forensic evidence doesn't amount to an open-and-shut case then why on earth would the CPS sanction charges given that the only witnesses to the abduction are young children? MB’s defence would have a field day with this and quite rightly so. Adults’ memories have been shown to be malleable and open to suggestion and manipulation by leading questions when it comes to recalling this kind of detail. It’s very difficult to imagine a jury accepting the evidence of children this young as regards the type and colour of the vehicle involved, let alone how many people were in it at the time. How will the prosecution explain a light grey van’s metamorphosis into a dark blue Land Rover without invalidating the testimony of these key witnesses?

Fifth, I’m struck by how swiftly MB came to LE’s attention and the fact that the investigation has focused on him and him alone. The obvious explanation is that the evidence against him is substantial and compelling, although we have no way of knowing this at the present time. If the case against him is largely circumstantial, however, then the situation is very different. A number of others have referred to a potential “stitch up” and it seems to me that in cases like these a point is reached at which the police and CPS plough on regardless simply because they’ve invested so much time and effort in pursuit of “their man”. In other words, they’re obliged to try and make the case stick come what may, if only because the alternative would involve explaining why other leads were not actively pursued or allowed to go cold. In these circumstances the “stitch-up” usually takes the form of withholding new or ambiguous evidence from the defence team. In my view, the point of no return was reached the moment MB was charged (imagine the uproar if the CPS were to suddenly drop the charges) so we can only hope that the police and CPS have got it right.

A CRB will check on a central data base so will do national check.

For each organisation you work for you will need a separate CRB.

So if you do part time work at 3 different schools you will need a CRB for each school.

Then if you work for a sports club you will need at crb for that.

If you then work for the Brownies you will need a crb for that.

And so on ..every place you work needs its own CRB so presumable each council needed to do its own CRB check.

Thanks for the info Skigh, so his London history will have been checked out?

Der - I've re-read your reply & can see the answer. Apologies. You answered my question very precisely. Thanks

Hi there, new to the forum, thought I’d post some of my thoughts and concerns (in no particular order) about the AJ case. My apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said but this thread is getting rather large now and it's difficult to keep in mind who said what and when!

First, is everyone familiar with this Huffington Post article, which provides a picture of a white van supposedly ‘dumped’ by MB?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/02/april-jones-missing-man-arrest-machynlleth_n_1932634.html

The article describes the van as "a vehicle he had use of which is of interest to the inquiry." To the best of my knowledge, however, no further details about this vehicle were ever released. Given that we’ve not been provided with the vehicle’s make, model and registration number I can only assume that the police do not regard it as significant to the investigation, which leaves us with MB’s Land Rover as the only possible “vehicle of interest”. In this context, does anyone know why his Land Rover's number plate is covered up in the published pictures? Is this standard police procedure?

Second, as regards reports of MB’s vehicle being driven ‘erratically’ during the evening in question (and prior to the abduction) it seems to me that this is consistent with it being taken to a garage for repair. Perhaps a clutch or gearbox issue? On a personal level, if I hear something that doesn’t sound quite right with my car’s engine or drive-train then I’ll usually accelerate/decelerate several times in order to reproduce or isolate the problem. Anyone witnessing this would probably classify my driving as ‘erratic’ even though there’s a perfectly innocent explanation. On a related note, if MB’s vehicle had developed a fault (one serious enough to require the attention of a mechanic) then is it plausible that MB abducted AJ in a vehicle he knew to be faulty, perhaps even likely to break down?

Third, I’ve seen articles quoting police spokesmen to the effect that they’re dealing with “vast” amounts of forensic evidence. One assumes, therefore, that they’ve found something far more substantial than a few hairs and fibres in MB’s home and/or vehicle and/or on his person, given that this kind of evidence is likely to be found in the homes and vehicles of everyone who has come into contact with AJ. Under the circumstances it’s difficult to imagine the CPS sanctioning a murder charge in the absence of damning physical evidence. If no such evidence exists then it's hard to understand the nature of the case against MB and the basis on which the police have concluded that AJ is dead.

Fourth, if the forensic evidence doesn't amount to an open-and-shut case then why on earth would the CPS sanction charges given that the only witnesses to the abduction are young children? MB’s defence would have a field day with this and quite rightly so. Adults’ memories have been shown to be malleable and open to suggestion and manipulation by leading questions when it comes to recalling this kind of detail. It’s very difficult to imagine a jury accepting the evidence of children this young as regards the type and colour of the vehicle involved, let alone how many people were in it at the time. How will the prosecution explain a light grey van’s metamorphosis into a dark blue Land Rover without invalidating the testimony of these key witnesses?

Fifth, I’m struck by how swiftly MB came to LE’s attention and the fact that the investigation has focused on him and him alone. The obvious explanation is that the evidence against him is substantial and compelling, although we have no way of knowing this at the present time. If the case against him is largely circumstantial, however, then the situation is very different. A number of others have referred to a potential “stitch up” and it seems to me that in cases like these a point is reached at which the police and CPS plough on regardless simply because they’ve invested so much time and effort in pursuit of “their man”. In other words, they’re obliged to try and make the case stick come what may, if only because the alternative would involve explaining why other leads were not actively pursued or allowed to go cold. In these circumstances the “stitch-up” usually takes the form of withholding new or ambiguous evidence from the defence team. In my view, the point of no return was reached the moment MB was charged (imagine the uproar if the CPS were to suddenly drop the charges) so we can only hope that the police and CPS have got it right.

The police did not need to change the charge to murder.

They could have kept to an abduction charge.

The police obviously found evidence to change the charge to murder .

To bring a charge to the CPS the police have to show evidence which will stand up in court.

We only know what is reported and what the police want the public to know.

Given the information released I think the police have always been confident in their evidence for arresting and charging Mark Bridgers.

Goodness me, that's a Ford Connect! In one of their first press conferences, LE said that the child witness(es) gave a description of the vehicle they saw April get into "could be something similar to a Ford Connect type van or a Landrover."

To bring a charge to the CPS the police have to show evidence which will stand up in court.

Given the information released I think the police have always been confident in their evidence for arresting and charging Mark Bridgers.

I was gonna say this, but am tired of typing it...

I was gonna say this, but am tired of typing it...

so am I !

Think I will take a rest from this thread unless any thing new is given by the police.

The Jimmy savile thread has far more new information to discuss!!

The article describes the van as "a vehicle he had use of which is of interest to the inquiry." To the best of my knowledge, however, no further details about this vehicle were ever released. Given that we’ve not been provided with the vehicle’s make, model and registration number I can only assume that the police do not regard it as significant to the investigation, which leaves us with MB’s Land Rover as the only possible “vehicle of interest”.

Agree with you there Dirk Gently on point 1 - we all saw the pictures of a 'white vehicle' surrounded by police vehicles shortly after MB's arrest, but no further mention of it since.

BTW - welcome!

The article describes the van as "a vehicle he had use of which is of interest to the inquiry." To the best of my knowledge, however, no further details about this vehicle were ever released. Given that we’ve not been provided with the vehicle’s make, model and registration number I can only assume that the police do not regard it as significant to the investigation, which leaves us with MB’s Land Rover as the only possible “vehicle of interest”.

I haven't seen or read anything about that white van, bar the media photographs and speculation. Could be it was just a van belonging to a member of the public which was stopped and checked.

Where it says in the article you've linked:
His empty car was recovered soon after, police said on Tuesday evening. Forensic officers were already examining the vehicle and described it as "a vehicle he had use of which is of interest to the inquiry."
I understood that referred to the Land Rover. But perhaps I'm wrong.

On the other hand, perhaps the fact that they have not made any details of the van public does suggest that it's significant. It could be read either way.

As the photo in this article got my brain going I've done a bit of digging on Google Streetview and this photo is most interesting. I recognise the exact spot. In the aerial photo of the van on the HuffPost article, the van was travelling eastbound on the A487 from Dyfi Bridge, and the location where the van and the LE vehicle are pictured at is just by the turning for Ffridd farm. It's also slap bang adjacent the Millennium cycle/footbridge over the Dyfi. Literally a stone's throw. A matter of a few yards away.

Sure, but this in itself raises questions. Unless MB has lived without a TV for the last 20 years (and has never seen an episode of Morse, Inspector Frost, CSI and countless others) it's reasonable to assume that he knows that the police employ something called "forensics". It's also reasonable to assume that he'd have a rudimentary knowledge of the kind of forensic evidence a murder leaves behind. I don't think that these are unreasonable assumptions to make, in which case his subsequent actions, along with the "vast amount" of forensic evidence the police are supposedly wading through, make little sense. What I'm trying to understand is why MB was 'caught' (as the media like to put it) strolling down a road, rather than in his back garden pouring lighter fluid over bloody clothes or hosing down his kitchen floor with boiling water and undiluted bleach?

People leave behind forensics all the time, thank goodness, regardless of the "CSI" effect.

Hi there, new to the forum, thought I’d post some of my thoughts and concerns (in no particular order) about the AJ case. My apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said but this thread is getting rather large now and it's difficult to keep in mind who said what and when.........

.........The article describes the van as "a vehicle he had use of which is of interest to the inquiry." To the best of my knowledge, however, no further details about this vehicle were ever released. Given that we’ve not been provided with the vehicle’s make, model and registration number I can only assume that the police do not regard it as significant to the investigation, which leaves us with MB’s Land Rover as the only possible “vehicle of interest”. In this context, does anyone know why his Land Rover's number plate is covered up in the published pictures? Is this standard police procedure?

Hi Dirk

Good name.

The Press will often edit out the number plate of a vehicle as it could lead to invasion of privacy if current and/or previous owners were traced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabrinalyyn