GUILTY UK - Arthur Labinjo Hughes, 6, killed, dad & friend arrested, June 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She is actually being quite violent'
Mr Richmond states Hughes was 'under the most awful pressure' but 'played right into her hands' by kicking the door.

"Now she has got something she can use, I'm scared of you," he adds.

The barrister tells the court Tustin did not tell Hughes she had hit Arthur to the head herself.

Mr Richmond says: "The truth is she is creating a narrative to disguise the fact she is losing her temper with him more and she is actually being quite violent."

Turning to Arthur's fatal injuries on June 16 he adds: "She was getting more and more angry and she snaps and even though she will not face up to it, when she snapped she killed him."
The trials I've been to with two defendants they have a guard sitting in between them and another guard a few feet away watching from behind to catch any quick moves. Also the chairs aren't that close together, it'll be a long dock, but the court sketcher misses out those details for relevance and size. They aren't allowed to draw it inside the courtroom, they have to remember the scene and draw it once they are outside. I remember reading an interesting article about it where they interviewed Elizabeth Cook for the piece I believe.

ETA - Sorry I meant to quote a different post about the court sketch, don't know how I managed that!

Last edited:
She is someone who will put her claws in'
Mr Richmond states the 'thinking step' was Tustin's suggestion and that she was the person who 'introduced that concept'.

He tells the jury Tustin's 'grip tightened' when she and Hughes got engaged.

Mr Richmond adds: "Another feature of Emma Tustin is she does everything on the sly. She waits until Tom is not around. She does things she can deny or interpret another way."

He says: "She is not someone who takes a backseat, she is someone who will put her claws in. Better yet, like a plant putting her tentacles in. She would do and say anything to get her own way.

"The reason she can't cope in this trial is that up until this trial no-one has said to Emma Tustin 'no'. You see how she is when she can't get her own way. What you saw in her was a snapshot of when she doesn't get her own way.
Thank you so much for all the updates today, you've worked really hard at it.

17:02TONY LARNER
Hughes described as a 'stupid, stupid man'
Mr Richmond argues the defendants' journey together in the police van resulted in a 'dramatic' change where Hughes went from admitting the assaults to 'accepting everything'.

He says: "She's the one who's got the control. She's the one pushing the buttons. She's got the unborn baby. She will play that card for all its worth right down to telling him whilst standing here she aborted it.

"He's a stupid, stupid man and he can live for the rest of his life knowing he let down his little boy.

"When you study this evidence you will see he was trying again and again to get Arthur to eat and keep track of that.

"There is no evidence he knew anything about the salt, it's just not there. She's the one carrying it upstairs. She's the one using it on her bits. Is there anything in the messages about her having salt baths? Not one word.

"She was the one Arthur was an obstacle to."

Mr Richmond states Tustin feared Arthur was going to spoil her birthday and 'she wasn't going to have it'.

17:13KEY EVENT
Judge to begin summing up tomorrow
Mr Richmond continues: "The evidence he knew what she was doing is not there. Bully, yes. Discipline over the top, yes. Murder, no. Responsible homicide, no. Salt, no. Food, no.

"You know where sadly the justice of this case lies and the decisions you have to make, they don't lie with Tom Hughes on these three counts."

He concludes his speech.

Judge Wall tells the jury he will begin summing up the evidence tomorrow before they are then sent out to reach their verdicts.

Thank you for following our coverage today.

Boy, six, 'knew he was going to die' but 'no-one listened', murder trial told

I've been following this case and thank you for all the amazing, insightful posts especially around personality disorders. Interesting to see that there seems a fair few of us on here who have experienced a narcissistic parents, me included! I think my interest in cases like this, is my way of trying to understand what drove my own mother to be the cruel, abusive parent that she was..
A previous poster mentioned the Golden Child/Scapegoat syndrome. Arthur was clearly the SG. He served a purpose. He was the human dustbin into which ET and TH dumped all their feelings of rage inadequacies, feelings of failure, anger at life etc. Sadly, but not uncommonly, he played an extremely important role in that dysfunctional home.
I wonder if in the past, one of ES's children played this role, or if Authur had returned to his g/parents, one of her children would have taken his place...
I also wonder about TH. Was he the black sheep of the family? The unsuccessful son..less bright..less able..less popular..than his brothers? He certainly comes across as totally inadequate in every way..

I've been following this case and thank you for all the amazing, insightful posts especially around personality disorders. Interesting to see that there seems a fair few of us on here who have experienced a narcissistic parents, me included! I think my interest in cases like this, is my way of trying to understand what drove my own mother to be the cruel, abusive parent that she was..
A previous poster mentioned the Golden Child/Scapegoat syndrome. Arthur was clearly the SG. He served a purpose. He was the human dustbin into which ET and TH dumped all their feelings of rage inadequacies, feelings of failure, anger at life etc. Sadly, but not uncommonly, he played an extremely important role in that dysfunctional home.
I wonder if in the past, one of ES's children played this role, or if Authur had returned to his g/parents, one of her children would have taken his place...
I also wonder about TH. Was he the black sheep of the family? The unsuccessful son..less bright..less able..less popular..than his brothers? He certainly comes across as totally inadequate in every way..
The "scapegoat" syndrome also appears in classes at school, in groups that are not well integrated or are somehow frustrated.
It is a red flag for a class teacher that something is wrong - then therapeutic programme is implemented and meetings with psychologists and the class organised.
They always help.

The "scapegoat" syndrome also appears in classes at school, in groups that are not well integrated or are somehow frustrated.
It is a red flag for a class teacher that something is wrong - then therapeutic programme is implemented and meetings with psychologists and the class organised.
They always help.
Some teachers postively encourage bullies as having leadership qualities.

Some teachers postively encourage bullies as having leadership qualities.
Never at schools I worked and now work. Each school has either a psychologist or counsellor at premises.
We also cooperate with local councelling centre.
Parents are very sensitive about these things and it would be an enormous scandal, if sth like what you are talking about, happen.
Teachers are professionals :)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504