Still Missing UK - Bernadette Walker, 17, left parent's car, Peterborough, 21 July 2020 *Arrests* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper bug going around posh currently. I’m ok but all in my house have it and several at work. Some of the restaurants are closed due to illness. They just say it’s “not covid” but could be some dodgy nurovirus. I don’t mind if it takes an extra day or two to get to the truth

I knew there was something that bothered me.

"The court was told that in the early hours of Monday, July 20, cell site and GPS technology was able to place Scott and Sarah Walker’s phones at a lock-up garage on Montagu Road. The GPS tracker was able to place the phones at the garage at 12.27am, and leaving the garage five minutes later.

The jury heard that at the start of the journey, Scott and Sarah Walker’s phones were switched on - but at 12.43am Sarah Walker’s phone disconnected from the network, and a minute later, Scott Walker’s phone was disconnected. Neither would re-connect until after 3am."

Bernadette Walker Murder Trial: Hour and twenty minutes of ‘unexplained activity’ as Scott and Sarah Walker travelled to Cowbit in the middle of the night after teenager went missing

"At 1.32am, Sarah Walker’s phone tracked 33 steps being made over a five minute period."

Bernadette Walker murder trial: Teenager’s parents made midnight trip to Cowbit day after Bernadette was last seen alive, jury told

So SaW's phone tracked steps while it was disconnected?
Does that mean that all the times steps were counted the phones could actually have been off?

I knew there was something that bothered me.

"The court was told that in the early hours of Monday, July 20, cell site and GPS technology was able to place Scott and Sarah Walker’s phones at a lock-up garage on Montagu Road. The GPS tracker was able to place the phones at the garage at 12.27am, and leaving the garage five minutes later.

The jury heard that at the start of the journey, Scott and Sarah Walker’s phones were switched on - but at 12.43am Sarah Walker’s phone disconnected from the network, and a minute later, Scott Walker’s phone was disconnected. Neither would re-connect until after 3am."

Bernadette Walker Murder Trial: Hour and twenty minutes of ‘unexplained activity’ as Scott and Sarah Walker travelled to Cowbit in the middle of the night after teenager went missing

"At 1.32am, Sarah Walker’s phone tracked 33 steps being made over a five minute period."

Bernadette Walker murder trial: Teenager’s parents made midnight trip to Cowbit day after Bernadette was last seen alive, jury told

So SaW's phone tracked steps while it was disconnected?
Does that mean that all the times steps were counted the phones could actually have been off?
Disconnected could also mean aeroplane mode instead of off off

Actually I'm wondering if it was a reporting error and her watch could have recorded the steps, if she had a fitness thing installed but location services turned off.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10224182274928255&set=picfp.1343095747

118763972_10224182275008257_5824439872613954854_n.jpg

and https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10221638379372456&set=pb.1343095747.-2207520000..

81711050_10221638379412457_3070854101416804352_n.jpg

Is that an Apple watch? She did love her technology by the looks of it

That is a good find and I can’t explain that. No it shouldn’t be recording steps if you are not connected. It isn’t a pedometer but a pretty accurate gps. I can’t explain that I’m afraid
It wouldn't surprise me if they've got data from her watch, although we haven't heard anything about that yet.

I think they are being very precise with 'disconnected from the network' as opposed to were switched off. Both are deliberate acts. Airplane mode will disconnect an iphone from the network.
There's a difference between them trying to avoid detection by turning their phones off or into airplane mode, but the step tracker was still detectable anyway, or if the step tracker means the phones had to be on when they were at the lock-up (and all times when steps were recorded) and they weren't trying to hide being there. That's what I'm trying to get at.

There's a difference between them trying to avoid detection by turning their phones off or into airplane mode, but the step tracker was still detectable anyway, or if the step tracker means the phones had to be on when they were at the lock-up (and all times when steps were recorded) and they weren't trying to hide being there. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Perhaps they don't fully understand the tech. I would just switch it off. I would never disconnect from the network but they obviously did and very deliberately one after the other. That could be one person operating both phones as I've suggested before.

Last edited:
Perhaps they don't fully understand the tech. I would just switch it off. I would never disconnect from the network but they obviously did and very deliberately one after the other. That could be one person operating both phones as I've suggested before.
That doesn't answer my question though.

And if they recorded different numbers of steps with the two phones at the same time it must mean they were both there.

ETA switching the phone off is disconnecting from the network, according to the expert's evidence about explicit disconnections.

To show that the court has been told it is fact that they were both at the lock-up.

"The court heard that the previous night, both Scott and Sarah Walker went to the lock up garage - before Scott went out for a number of hours ‘in the dead of night.’

“At 10.48pm, they both activate GPS at the lock up garage on Montagu Road.”

Phone data shows steps were recorded at the location, until the left at 11.08pm.

“The fact they travelled to the lock up is telling."

[and on the morning of the 20th:]

"Ms Wilding said: “At 12.27am Scott and Sarah Walker are placed at the lock up garage.

“In the hours that followed both parents travelled...

Earlier in the day, the jury had heard from Martin Griffiths, an expert in cell site data analysis, who explained to the jury how it was possible to say where handsets were, and at what time.

He also gave an explanation on what may have happened when phones were disconnected from the network.
He said disconnections were split into two categories, an ‘explicit’ disconnection, which could include the phone being switched off, put into airplane mode or running out of battery, or an ‘implicit’ disconnection, which could include a phone being smashed on the ground or submerged in water.

Bernadette Walker Murder Trial: College classmates describe trying to contact missing teenager after her disappearance

an explicit disconnection can be off or airplane mode the expert stated.

iPhones have a built in accelerometer so don’t require being connected to the network to record steps. So they would still record in airplane mode.

Last edited:
an explicit disconnection can be off or airplane mode the expert stated.

iPhones have a built in accelerometer so don’t require being connected to the network to record steps. So they would still record in airplane mode.
Thank you spdflower. So they may have tried to be undetectable and failed.

Unfortunately it seems the number of steps is counted but they can't pinpoint for instance which road Scott was on when he walked 410 steps in Gunthorpe area on the 18th.

That doesn't answer my question though.

And if they recorded different numbers of steps with the two phones at the same time it must mean they were both there.

ETA switching the phone off is disconnecting from the network, according to the expert's evidence about explicit disconnections.
I thought only SaW's phone recorded the 33 steps over 5 minutes? Also, it is implied that the presence of their individual phone equals their individual physical presence. I have an open mind about whether ScW had all 3 phones on the trip to Cowbit.

I thought only SaW's phone recorded the 33 steps over 5 minutes? Also, it is implied that the presence of their individual phone equals their individual physical presence. I have an open mind about whether ScW had all 3 phones on the trip to Cowbit.

is there any concrete evidence it was ScW in cowbit and not SaW? Sorry if I’ve missed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missygirl26