Found Deceased UK - Caroline Everest, 18, Sheffield, 22 Nov 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree, even the most sensible of people make bad decisions at some point in their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I have done very silly things too.....but walking away from safety with a strange man, when there is rapist attacking students in the area is a bit of a leap IMHO. The uni would have been hammering home safety, discussions with friends and worried parents would have no doubt taken place.

In those circumstances I think there must have been more than alcohol blindsighting her, if he was indeed a stranger. jmho.

I am thinking more of the area Napier Street/Summerfield St. There are buses/trams running at 4 am Sundays according to the
timetables, but nothing direct to Hallam from where she was last seen, appears quicker to walk.
The nearest taxi rank is in the area of Pomora Rd., but says it stops at 2.30am.
Pointless really trying to work out where she was heading.

Do you mean Pomora street? That is right by where she was found and it's where there's a gap to the brook but I can't find a taxi rank there.

There is a taxi rank that she might have been heading towards on Ecclesall Road not far from the junction to Summerfield Street where she was last spotted on CCTV. It closed at 2.30 though. There a couple more further up Eccleshall street too though think they all close around the same time. This map highlights taxis strangely it also labels the big building on the corner of Napier Street and Summerfield Street as Sheffield Hallam University, which is the uni she was at, but I can only find it being called Hallamshire Business Park. Maybe it's linked to the uni some way though?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/taxis.html

He was arrested only for suspected rape, and wasn't he released today? The article seems to not have been updated.

Yes it's an old article but I think it's been added on here because the thread title still shows Caroline as missing instead of located. Not sure how we get that updated.

Yes it's an old article but I think it's been added on here because the thread title still shows Caroline as missing instead of located. Not sure how we get that updated.

Oh ok!

I alerted a mod now to move the thread to the Located area.

I agree, I have done very silly things too.....but walking away from safety with a strange man, when there is rapist attacking students in the area is a bit of a leap IMHO. The uni would have been hammering home safety, discussions with friends and worried parents would have no doubt taken place.

In those circumstances I think there must have been more than alcohol blindsighting her, if he was indeed a stranger. jmho.

But sometimes in life not matter how sensible you might usually be - a bad decision can be forced on you

There is a taxi rank that she might have been heading towards on Ecclesall Road not far from the junction to Summerfield Street where she was last spotted on CCTV. It closed at 2.30 though. There a couple more further up Eccleshall street too though think they all close around the same time.

You know, it's never occurred to me that taxi ranks might have opening and closing hours. If I was about very late at night, I would probably head for a taxi rank. I wouldn't be expecting to find a line of them waiting, but thinking that any cruising taxis might pass by the ranks in case anyone was waiting. I have a couple of times been picked up by a taxi whose driver had finished his shift, but my destination was on his way home.

You know, it's never occurred to me that taxi ranks might have opening and closing hours. If I was about very late at night, I would probably head for a taxi rank. I wouldn't be expecting to find a line of them waiting, but thinking that any cruising taxis might pass by the ranks in case anyone was waiting. I have a couple of times been picked up by a taxi whose driver had finished his shift, but my destination was on his way home.

There looks to be quite a few up on Ecclesall Road, I found one much further out that was open till 4am but if she knew there were taxis up Ecclesall Road it would make sense for her to head there assuming, like you, that they would be open. CCTV stop with her walking up Summerfield road towards Ecclesall Road though and her body is found in the brook that runs across/under Summerfield road so sadly it looks like she never got to Ecclesall road.

Theres also bus stops on Ecclesall road and I came across an old post with somebody complaining about taxis using bus stops on Ecclesall Road. Somebody else explains that after certain hours the taxis use the bus stops. Here's some snippets of the convo.

Is anyone else fed up of taxis on Ecclesall Road and city centre queueing at bus stops and generally getting in the way. It makes it hard for buses to pull in and people have to go out into the road to get a bus.
In some areas Bus Stops are used as Taxi Hailing Points, and advertised as such, thus allowing the traveling public to wait in the shelter for a taxi to approach and then hail them like a bus
Most bus stops on west street after a certain time are taxi parks also, i dont see the harm in it as you can see your bus comin from a far and still put your arm out and make yourself visible for the bus to stop.
This is certainly NOT the case. Some of the parking bays are changed to taxi bays at 6.30 p.m. until the early hours of the next morning. The Bus Stop Clearways remain Bus Stop Clearways (i.e. No Stopping except buses) 24 hours a day.
I was waiting at the bus stop outside the Varsity (is it still called that?) one Saturday night recently and the bus stop was chocka with taxis. It was a bit annoying because it was difficult to see the bus in the distance, but it was hardly the worse thing that's happened to me.What was funny though was the SCC Parking Services van that kept driving up and down honking it's horn. The taxis would drive off, do a couple of u-turns and then reappear.
It is full of taxis just about every night and I also find it annoying.
I can see your point but don't moan about the taxi parking situation on a public forum or even to the driver himself for that matter if you're wanting the problem to be solved, it's the council that created this monster by raising the Hackney limit from 300 to IIRC 820ish, so that's well over a 150% increase of cabs, therefore problems have occurred at West St, Ecclesall Road, Rudyard road etc.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=591474

The post is from 2010 , can anyone local to Sheffield confirm if this is still the case?

If taxis do still use the bus stops on Ecclesall road it could be more reason for Caroline to be heading up Summerfield Street to Ecclesall Road . Some thign coudl have happened before she reached Ecclesall Road but if she did get that far she could have got into the car of someone posing as a taxi driver/private hire driver. I've read about that happening in other places before. Of course it would then be coincidence that he drove back to near where she was originally to leave her body there.

Do you mean Pomora street? That is right by where she was found and it's where there's a gap to the brook but I can't find a taxi rank there.

There is a taxi rank that she might have been heading towards on Ecclesall Road not far from the junction to Summerfield Street where she was last spotted on CCTV. It closed at 2.30 though. There a couple more further up Eccleshall street too though think they all close around the same time. This map highlights taxis strangely it also labels the big building on the corner of Napier Street and Summerfield Street as Sheffield Hallam University, which is the uni she was at, but I can only find it being called Hallamshire Business Park. Maybe it's linked to the uni some way though?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/taxis.html

My apologies - yes I did mean Pomora Street and I've edited my post.
I hope I haven't misled anyone as I was using the same taxi map but actually trying to place myself there and going via Summerfield St. and turn off into Pomora Street route for Eccleshall Road as buses also run from Eccleshall Road, I'll try and link a map.

I've been walking the streets of Sheffield for hours during last night, wondering how and why Caroline ended up where she did. Sorry to post anything inaccurate as that's no help at all. :facepalm:

http://www.supertram.com/uploads/sheffieldbusmapguide270411final.pdf

My apologies - yes I did mean Pomora Street and I've edited my post.
I hope I haven't misled anyone as I was using the same taxi map but actually trying to place myself there and going via Summerfield St. and turn off into Pomora Street route for Eccleshall Road as buses also run from Eccleshall Road, I'll try and link a map.

I've been walking the streets of Sheffield for hours during last night, wondering how and why Caroline ended up where she did. Sorry to post anything inaccurate as that's no help at all. :facepalm:

No worries Jess, until you zoom in it does look like its Pomora street rather than Ecclesall and its very near to it and near to where Caroline's body was found.

P.S. I hope you mean walking on Google Streetview and/or that you're not putting yourself in any danger. Take care.

Yeah Google walking only ColourPurple. Still kept getting lost numerous times. :blushing: Must say some lovely walks around that area.

I tried to ponder this as I was falling asleep before a nap. Two of the rapes reported in the news were right outside the halls of residence where Caroline was living. There must have been awareness of this among the girls in that building, so that makes me think she wouldn't want to walk home alone at that time of night. So, what would she do? Look for a taxi or hang around waiting for her friends to come out?

A fifteen minute walk east to her halls vs a 15 minute walk west to Summerfield St is equal if it only took 15 mins and if she was heading somewhere definite around Summerfield St (a friend's home or something). But it didn't take 15 minutes, it took nearly an hour, plus we don't know where she was headed or why.

From the pictures of the brook, it was extremely shallow and possibly iced over. I don't think it would have been a source of water for swimming or washing. The barrier on the far side rules out to me the possibility of going in there voluntarily from that side. The bushy side has a barrier to prevent people slipping down the side of the bridge to the brook, but if you really forced your way into those bushes, maybe it's possible to slip into the brook and those high walls would prevent you from being able to exit. It looks quite thick and overgrown with trees and bushes, not really a place to go too far in for a pee?

I tried to ponder this as I was falling asleep before a nap. Two of the rapes reported in the news were right outside the halls of residence where Caroline was living. There must have been awareness of this among the girls in that building, so that makes me think she wouldn't want to walk home alone at that time of night. So, what would she do? Look for a taxi or hang around waiting for her friends to come out?

A fifteen minute walk east to her halls vs a 15 minute walk west to Summerfield St is equal if it only took 15 mins and if she was heading somewhere definite around Summerfield St (a friend's home or something). But it didn't take 15 minutes, it took nearly an hour, plus we don't know where she was headed or why.

From the pictures of the brook, it was extremely shallow and possibly iced over. I don't think it would have been a source of water for swimming or washing. The barrier on the far side rules out to me the possibility of going in there voluntarily from that side. The bushy side has a barrier to prevent people slipping down the side of the bridge to the brook, but if you really forced your way into those bushes, maybe it's possible to slip into the brook and those high walls would prevent you from being able to exit. It looks quite thick and overgrown with trees and bushes, not really a place to go too far in for a pee?

your right she must have heard about those rapes it must have surley have crossed her mind while walking the streets, their must have been advice information at the university awareness, warnings etc and if that guy who has just been released on bail is completly innocent of any crime here! Then why did he let her walk off on her own? Knowing there could be a rapist in the area the best thing he could have done was make sure she got into a taxi even if he had to walk with her to find a taxi rank seems reasonable - she could also have just turned back to club and wait for her friends or have just gone home

I just looked through all the photos from the club night caroline was at on their facebook page. Thought she might be in the background in some photos but couldn't see her anywhere. It seems to have been a gothy/alternative night - not even sure what the kids these days call that scene.

Any news of when of update on PM?

It could be a while now, from memory usually about 4-6 weeks for full toxicology reports to come back.

Unless the man is rearrested we might not hear much for a while.

As someone who bartended for years I have to say that it's not much of a leap at all unfortunately. People this age seem to have an "it can't happen to me" mentality.
Throw alcohol into the mix and I'm not surprised at all what people do even "responsible/serious" types.

Someone asked and it was answered but yes, hypothermia can cause people to shed their clothing, it can also make people wedge into strange places. Many deaths causes by
hypothermia have appeared suspicious at the outset because it appears as though someone tried to hide the body.

Also, people greatly underestimate the amount they drink and I not once saw a case where someone was actually drugged and not just drunk.
It's easy to blame the bar staff but alcohol is tricky. Someone can appear fine after it's consumed and before it's kicked in fully. I could cut someone off but if I cut off
everyone after a couple I would have an angry mob or an empty bar, it's hard to tell someone they've had enough when they know you, try it with a stranger. Then they just have their friends order the rounds afterwards. If I have hundreds of people coming in I don't think it's fair to expect me to track them all while they are in the establishment as well as afterwards. If that is expected the amount of staff required would cause the prices of alcohol to be exorbitant to the point that there would be no clubs open at all. I greatly believe in personal responsibility. Have a sober person in the group even if none of you are driving. Honestly, can anyone imagine what it would be like trying to hold every drunk person from leaving and try to get a cab company to drive them against their will, what if someone argued that they didn't want the cab and therefore didn't want to pay? That cab company wouldn't keep coming around very long. And call the police every time someone leaves after having too many? These solutions just aren't logical or feasible.

I loved the idea of the school mentioned upthread that would allow students to take a cab and pay within a couple of days. I would be very willing to
even put $100 or so ahead of time on my kids student card when he goes to uni to be used for that purpose if the school/taxi company feared they would not get paid. That's a great idea.

So sorry for this poor girls family. I hope and think it was just a terrible accident and nothing more sinister happened.

I might not have done a very good job with the search but I did try putting in "Potter Brook Death" into Google and setting it for results at least one year old. I couldn't find any hits, so it doesn't seem to me that it's common for people to slip in there to their deaths.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back