UK - (Christopher Halliwell) Rebecca Godden-Edwards, 21, Swindon, 27 Dec 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry, no idea how to do this properly - think the Pros is making it's closing arguments now though (probably got it upside down apologies)

@LisaSkyNews
3m
Prosecution reminding jury of the soil on the spade in Halliwell's shed which matched the location of Becky's body.

@LisaSkyNews
17m
Prosecution reminding jury that Halliwell now says this was not a "confession" to Fulcher but an "account".

@LisaSkyNews
19m
Prosecution: if it was the dealers how did Halliwell know Becky was "buried naked, parallel to the road".

@LisaSkyNews
19m
Prosecution: "all the way through it, I did it, I buried her, I strangled her, I did it". Then "the mysterious drug dealers".

@LisaSkyNews
21m
Prosecution going through Halliwell's "confession" about Becky - he admitted having sex with a sex worker, strangling her & burying her.

@LisaSkyNews
24m
Prosecution says "prostitute element" is important because "it's much easier to kill a prostitute because people don't miss them".

@LisaSkyNews
25m
Prosecution going through their case that Halliwell didn't know Sian wasn't a prostitute. Halliwell denies this.

@LisaSkyNews
27m
Prosecution going through the details of Halliwell's "confession" to Fulcher about a second body.

@LisaSkyNews
27m
Prosecution to jurors: "so you may think superintendent Fulcher made the right choice" when they went off for a "private chat".

@LisaSkyNews
28m
Halliwell had been responding "no comment" to all enquiries.

@LisaSkyNews
29m
Prosecution: "perhaps put yourselves in the shoes of Fulcher- he doesn't know if she (Sian) is dead or alive.

@LisaSkyNews
30m
Prosecution tells jury that Halliwell wasn't helping police & they were "desperate... So, yes, some rules were broken".

@LisaSkyNews
31m
Prosecution: Sian "could have been holed up somewhere, locked up, it does happen as we know".

@LisaSkyNews
33m
Prosecution reminding jurors how senior officer Fulcher couldn't wait any longer & arrested Halliwell, thinking Sian might still be alive.

@LisaSkyNews
34m
Prosecution highlighting how DNA evidence connected Halliwell & Sian & how police placed Halliwell under "surveillance".

@LisaSkyNews
36m
Prosecution going through the similarities of how the bodies of Sian O'Callaghan & Becky Godden were left.

@LisaSkyNews
37m
Prosecution reminds jury Halliwell "throttled" Sian, and stabbed her twice in the head, "imagine the force it took to do that".

@LisaSkyNews
40m
Prosecution taking jury through details of Sian O'Callaghan's murder for which Halliwell is serving a minimum of 25 years in prison.

@LisaSkyNews
42m
Prosecution says following that doctors appointment Becky "just disappeared".

@LisaSkyNews
42m
Prosecution says jury must decide if scratches actually from "Rebecca Godden's nails as she fought for her life".
@LisaSkyNews
44m
Halliwell said it was following a fight with a customer. The scratches from "a signet ring"
@LisaSkyNews
46m
Prosecution reminds jurors of evidence from Halliwell's doctor who said he came to appointment with a broken finger & scratches on his face.

Maybe it'll be wrapped up by the weekend then. Can't see CH's closing argument taking long.

Maybe it'll be wrapped up by the weekend then. Can't see CH's closing argument taking long.

Yes, considering he has said he doesn't care about the verdict, then he shouldn't have much to say

Just showing my face. Thanks for all the court updates.

I would have no problem with a guilty verdict as a juror. He's having a laugh if he thinks they'll believe his *advertiser censored*'n'bull story. Throw away the key. I'm sure he's killed more too.

Today's tweets including the summing up by the prosecution have been the most illuminating so far including the soil on the spade in CH's shed being a probable match for the soil where Becky Godden was found. Although my gut told me he was guilty, I wasn't sure that the prosecution had done enough to convince a jury; I am sure now.

Judge to sum up tomorrow then jury likely to be sent out Monday.

I wonder if he will open up about previous crimes after a few years in jail.

Here we go

Adele Robinson Verified account ‏@SkyNewsAdele 1h1 hour ago

I'm at Bristol Crown Court for the trial of Christopher Halliwell, 52, accused of murdering Becky Godden between 2003 - 2005.

Adele Robinson Verified account ‏@SkyNewsAdele 57m57 minutes ago

Christopher Halliwell is about to deliver his closing speech to the jury. He denies murdering Becky Godden.

Adele Robinson ‏@SkyNewsAdele 54m54 minutes ago

Halliwell describes one witness testimony as "rubbish".

Halliwell is going through some other eye witness testimony describing another as "wishy washy".

Halliwell says he believes there was "alot of cross contamination" of evidence including a shovel

Halliwell said when talking with police he did not hint that he was responsible for Becky's death but let on that he knew something.

Halliwell claims 2 drug dealers killed Becky Godden and disposed of her body.

Adele Robinson ‏@SkyNewsAdele 27m27 minutes ago

Halliwell has now finished delivering his closing speech.

Halliwell interrupts the judge as he is addressing the jury asking "when deliberating do the jury have access to the exhibits?"

The judge replied "yes" and has now sent the jury home for the weekend to return on Monday.

Oh, that's disappointing. I would have thought they had ample time to reach a decision by the end of the afternoon, if not by lunchtime.

Sorry, no idea how to do this properly - think the Pros is making it's closing arguments now though (probably got it upside down apologies)

@LisaSkyNews
3m
Prosecution reminding jury of the soil on the spade in Halliwell's shed which matched the location of Becky's body.

@LisaSkyNews
17m
Prosecution reminding jury that Halliwell now says this was not a "confession" to Fulcher but an "account".

@LisaSkyNews
19m
Prosecution: if it was the dealers how did Halliwell know Becky was "buried naked, parallel to the road".

@LisaSkyNews
19m
Prosecution: "all the way through it, I did it, I buried her, I strangled her, I did it". Then "the mysterious drug dealers".

@LisaSkyNews
21m
Prosecution going through Halliwell's "confession" about Becky - he admitted having sex with a sex worker, strangling her & burying her.

@LisaSkyNews
24m
Prosecution says "prostitute element" is important because "it's much easier to kill a prostitute because people don't miss them".

@LisaSkyNews
25m
Prosecution going through their case that Halliwell didn't know Sian wasn't a prostitute. Halliwell denies this.

@LisaSkyNews
27m
Prosecution going through the details of Halliwell's "confession" to Fulcher about a second body.

@LisaSkyNews
27m
Prosecution to jurors: "so you may think superintendent Fulcher made the right choice" when they went off for a "private chat".

@LisaSkyNews
28m
Halliwell had been responding "no comment" to all enquiries.

@LisaSkyNews
29m
Prosecution: "perhaps put yourselves in the shoes of Fulcher- he doesn't know if she (Sian) is dead or alive.

@LisaSkyNews
30m
Prosecution tells jury that Halliwell wasn't helping police & they were "desperate... So, yes, some rules were broken".

@LisaSkyNews
31m
Prosecution: Sian "could have been holed up somewhere, locked up, it does happen as we know".

@LisaSkyNews
33m
Prosecution reminding jurors how senior officer Fulcher couldn't wait any longer & arrested Halliwell, thinking Sian might still be alive.

@LisaSkyNews
34m
Prosecution highlighting how DNA evidence connected Halliwell & Sian & how police placed Halliwell under "surveillance".

@LisaSkyNews
36m
Prosecution going through the similarities of how the bodies of Sian O'Callaghan & Becky Godden were left.

@LisaSkyNews
37m
Prosecution reminds jury Halliwell "throttled" Sian, and stabbed her twice in the head, "imagine the force it took to do that".

@LisaSkyNews
40m
Prosecution taking jury through details of Sian O'Callaghan's murder for which Halliwell is serving a minimum of 25 years in prison.

@LisaSkyNews
42m
Prosecution says following that doctors appointment Becky "just disappeared".

@LisaSkyNews
42m
Prosecution says jury must decide if scratches actually from "Rebecca Godden's nails as she fought for her life".
@LisaSkyNews
44m
Halliwell said it was following a fight with a customer. The scratches from "a signet ring"
@LisaSkyNews
46m
Prosecution reminds jurors of evidence from Halliwell's doctor who said he came to appointment with a broken finger & scratches on his face.
So you get hit/slapped/punched in the face but all you're left with is 'scratches from a signet ring' - sure! I'll believe that said no one but the piece of shi t himself.

There were no forensic traces found, can't remember where I read that.There were pieces of her remains missing as well as her head but can't remember if that included hands.

Oh, that's disappointing. I would have thought they had ample time to reach a decision by the end of the afternoon, if not by lunchtime.

I am so disappointed at that too.
Expect the Judge has his reasons. ?

I am so disappointed at that too. Expect the Judge has his reasons. ?
Maybe the judge wants to be extra careful in their summing up, with CH defending himself. I'm assuming summing up didn't happen today.

Removing my comment, because yes I did indeed miss something yesterday afternoon !

Some good detail of CH's closing argument. Sorry, long post and reads from bottom to top.

https://twitter.com/BeebJournalist?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Andrew Plant ‏@BeebJournalist 4h4 hours ago
That is all from the Halliwell case this week. The jury will be sent out to consider its verdict on Monday.

Andrew Plant ‏@BeebJournalist 5h5 hours ago
The jury has been sent out of court, and won't return until Monday, when the judge will outline the relevant evidence for them.

CH is sitting in the secure dock. He has a guard next to each shoulder - they have not been sitting so closely on previous days.

Christopher Halliwell sits down. His closing speech has finished.

CH: How could anyone take. Reference from a dip in the wall invisible in undergrowth? Do I need to say any more? Thank you, I'm finished.

CH: The prosecution want to convince you Rebecca died on the 3rd January (2003). I was precise about 5ft. She was found 8 inches down.

CH: The two former drug addicts (Miss X and Miss Y) are talking nonsense.

CH: The evidence is so poorly presented (forensic) and so poorly examined it is not worth any weight. It's rubbish.

CH: when talking about how Rebecca Godden ended up in the Oxo, it is obvious I knew something. I did not know Rebecca.

... What they offered him was not a cast-iron guarantee.

... Be given immunity from being charged with other, mostly unspecified, offences in future. Police say they gave him assurances. He says...

CH now talking about the interview in 2015 where he appeared to offer to clear up the Becky charge, in exchange for guarantees that he ...

CH: it cannot be reasonably expected that any of those examples are safe because of the way they were collected and handled.

CH: I would ask you to exclude this evidence based on the level of incompetent examination methods.

cleaned before examination' had not been ticked on the examination paperwork. Says, 'I believe there was a lot of contamination.'

CH has argued previously that there was cross-contamination in the forensic lab where the shovel was examined. Says a box that says 'bench..

examined by experts. Prosecution presented evidence that showed soil stuck to a shovel matched soil in field where Becky was buried.

CH is now talking about the shovels recovered from his shed. He is questioning whether benches were cleaned in the labs before they were

CH is wearing a short-sleeved blue shirt. He's standing up reading from a thin bundle of A4 sheets from behind the secure perspex dock.

CH: the police doctor said that i said I'd killed two people. In fact I said 'apparently I've killed two people.'

CH: location I indicated was 33ft out of sync (from where Becky was found). The depth I said was 5ft was actually 8 inches.

... Referenced a dip in the wall. But there was a dip concealed by undergrowth. How can I use a dip as a reference if it is concealed?

They said I walked to the spot in the field. Not that I paced it out heel to toe. Police said I indicated she was 5 ft deep. Said I ...

... Sian wasn't?' His assistant recorded me saying 'we could do that now' not 'im aware of that now.'

... And he cannot describe the scratches. Next, Fulcher's testimony. When I said to Fulcher she was a pro on the game, he said 'you know ...

CH: The doctor who I went to see with a broken hand and scratches on my face: his statement is a copy I notes on files of the examination...

.. Record of me driving a red taxi. She said she wasn't sure it was me.

Miss Y said I can't say for sure I saw Becky with Halliwell the driver could have been Halliwell. She said it was a red taxi. There is no ..

... Of me working for Starlight. She said I was 5'8" or 9". I am actually 5'10". Her statement is rubbish. I have no idea who she is.

... occasions. She described my car as large saloon. She couldn't remember colour. She said it was a Starlight Taxi. There is no evidence..

... and to a flat for sex in Rodbourne. As we've heard there are no records linking me to Rodbourne. She also said she saw me on numerous ..

CH: My Lord I don't think I've stepped on anyone's toes with what I've written. Miss X states I drove her to a trading estate for sex...

Court resuming in the Christopher Halliwell murder trial. Acting as his own defence, he now gets to make a closing speech to the jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back