UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont recall that it was ever confirmed that she used a phone box.
We have asked Cold Case team to check phone records for the phone box on East Parade where she had walked towards on her last afternoon.
I will report back once an answer is forthcoming.
They don't seem to be in any hurry to check this though-So much lethargy in this case currently.

Where did you see the piece about her using public phones?
I may have missed this.

Claudia lived on her own, her phone was her own private property and so I dont see why any calls that didnt have a criminal element attached couldn't be made by her mobile?

IMO if she did use a public phone box then it was either criminal activity or at the request of the call recipient for annonimity.

Hi @MajorLang. Back on 10/1/20 (post #451), I suggested that CL might have used a public phone near the junction of Melrosegate and Heworth Hall Rd for secret calls and your current post tallies with that thought. Indeed you've included the possibility in your blog. Now you've said a callbox in East Parade! Maybe your Freudian Slip because I've now re-checked Google and there is a callbox in East Parade after all - its opposite the Co-Op. The Melrosegate box is only 250m from her house whereas there are 2 ways to the box on East Parade (430m or 490m). Personally I don't think secret calls would have been made from inside the Nag's pub but who knows. I agree with you that all routine calls would have been made using her mobile. To summarise, the Callbox was only an idea and there was no claim that she actually did use one except in the so called witness sighting (reported in DMirror & C5 documentary last December) of CL when asking a taxi driver (possibly Hallawell) for change to ring her dad on an unspecified date before she disappeared. Good luck with the Coldcase Team.

And surly there would be a coin operated phone at the NH ?
Even the pub’s phone would be available to her since she was well in with the governor
And she helped in the kitchen there too I believe
But was she not giving the Nags a swerve and the public phone there would not be private. Again @moonsafari would know if Claudia helped in Nags kitchens-I hadnt heard that Claudia did this???

Hi @MajorLang. Back on 10/1/20 (post #451), I suggested that CL might have used a public phone near the junction of Melrosegate and Heworth Hall Rd for secret calls and your current post tallies with that thought. Indeed you've included the possibility in your blog. Now you've said a callbox in East Parade! Maybe your Freudian Slip because I've now re-checked Google and there is a callbox in East Parade after all - its opposite the Co-Op. The Melrosegate box is only 250m from her house whereas there are 2 ways to the box on East Parade (430m or 490m). Personally I don't think secret calls would have been made from inside the Nag's pub but who knows. I agree with you that all routine calls would have been made using her mobile. To summarise, the Callbox was only an idea and there was no claim that she actually did use one except in the so called witness sighting (reported in DMirror & C5 documentary last December) of CL when asking a taxi driver (possibly Hallawell) for change to ring her dad on an unspecified date before she disappeared. Good luck with the Coldcase Team.
Thanks that's great information. So which phone was closest-East Parade or are you saying the Melrosegate one?

I dont recall that it was ever confirmed that she used a phone box.
We have asked Cold Case team to check phone records for the phone box on East Parade where she had walked towards on her last afternoon.
I will report back once an answer is forthcoming.
They don't seem to be in any hurry to check this though-So much lethargy in this case currently.

Where did you see the piece about her using public phones?
I may have missed this.

Claudia lived on her own, her phone was her own private property and so I dont see why any calls that didnt have a criminal element attached couldn't be made by her mobile?

IMO if she did use a public phone box then it was either criminal activity or at the request of the call recipient for annonimity.

I read it in an article in the Independant newspaper that noted the The Mirror
Ms Edwards has revealed she has found a witness who claims to have seen Halliwell talking to Claudia shortly before she disappeared.
She told the Mirror, which photographed her meeting with Joan Lawrence: “This witness said he saw Halliwell talking to Claudia through a taxi window.
“Claudia was asking if he had change so she could ring her dad from a call box.”
Regarding the possible use of a PO Box , If a person places an ad with a PO box number it enables the user to place ads and receive replys into that box without giving the details of their own personal phone number. Obviously if you are using this personal ad to attract potential suitors or for sexual liasons you do not want to use or give your personal phone number when making these first contact calls to avoid persistant calls from unsuitable men that may become obbessive pests.

Last edited:
The Left handed male smoker seen talking to a female on Melrosegate Bridge:-
Given the time police invested in finding the DNA on the cigarette butt in Claudias car I find it strange that they werent all over that Melrose Gate bridge stretch looking for the left handed smokers cigarette butt, smokers dont take their butts home they just discard them.

I think her father knows all about her personal life, if he didn't pick up on it in the pub then I'm sure the police have told him,her mother on the other hand, being estranged from her dad, I believe knows nothing
I agree, and anything JL has been told regarding her daughter's personal life she dismisses as nonsense no matter who the source is. MOO

Given the time police invested in finding the DNA on the cigarette butt in Claudias car I find it strange that they werent all over that Melrose Gate bridge stretch looking for the left handed smokers cigarette butt, smokers dont take their butts home they just discard them.
I don't think police searched Melrosegate bridge for a discarded cigarette butt as they didn't find the one in claudias car until the review in 2013 iirc.MOO

I read it in an article in the Independant newspaper that noted the The Mirror
Ms Edwards has revealed she has found a witness who claims to have seen Halliwell talking to Claudia shortly before she disappeared.
She told the Mirror, which photographed her meeting with Joan Lawrence: “This witness said he saw Halliwell talking to Claudia through a taxi window.
“Claudia was asking if he had change so she could ring her dad from a call box.”
Regarding the possible use of a PO Box , If a person places an ad with a PO box number it enables the user to place ads and receive replys into that box without giving the details of their own personal phone number. Obviously if you are using this personal ad to attract potential suitors or for sexual liasons you do not want to use or give your personal phone number when making these first contact calls to avoid persistant calls from unsuitable men that may become obbessive pests.
Yes but the phone box change and Halliwell sighting has been discredited as he was in a mental health unit when this was alleged and so use of phone box had never been credible sighting evidence

Yes but the phone box change and Halliwell sighting has been discredited as he was in a mental health unit when this was alleged and so use of phone box had never been credible sighting evidence

As you know I like to keep an open mind on things ive have never seen evidence or a report of Halliwell being in a mental instition so Im keeping an open mind on that for now.
If there is a witness who says hes actually seen this and heard the conversation I cannot dismiss it out of hand

In my blog I show a photo of a pack if embassy regal discarded in Claudias doorway Pre her missing and it is possible that these cigarettes were smuggled into Uk.

As you know I like to keep an open mind on things ive have never seen evidence or a report of Halliwell being in a mental instition so Im keeping an open mind on that for now.
If there is a witness who says hes actually seen this and heard the conversation I cannot dismiss it out of hand
I have had it confirmed by police he was incarcerated at that time-I rally don't know what the obsession withHallowell. If it could be him it could also be Joe Bloggs the yet to be identified Yorkshire serial killer and that is of a higher possibility than Halliwell. Joan Lawrence has also been told by police that he couldn't have done it but Becky mum is winding her up along with Fulcher.

I don't think police searched Melrosegate bridge for a discarded cigarette butt as they didn't find the one in claudias car until the review in 2013 iirc.MOO
It just makes sense to me that the police would be trying to identify this man, and when a witness gives them key information that he is a smoker, as a detective I would conclude as I did hes going to discard that cigarette butt, so I would expect them to be searching that area for it, retrieving it for possible DNA evidence

I have had it confirmed by police he was incarcerated at that time-I rally don't know what the obsession withHallowell. If it could be him it could also be Joe Bloggs the yet to be identified Yorkshire serial killer and that is of a higher possibility than Halliwell. Joan Lawrence has also been told by police that he couldn't have done it but Becky mum is winding her up along with Fulcher.

I think you misread my post. I am not suggesting Haliwell did it. The witness siting said he saw Haliwell talking to Claudia through a taxi window and asked him for change to use the phone box to call her Dad. The article doesnt state the date of this siting. So IF it was Halliwell then this meeting could have been weeks before her disappearing and would only confirm that she knew or met him. The point im trying to make is that the important part of the witness siting was even if it wasnt Haliwell she asked the person for change to use the public phone box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cases