UK - Constable arrested in murder of Claire Parry, 41, near Bournemouth; she died 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
9:55am

"I also accept that prison will be particularly difficult for you because of your position as a police officer.

"Bearing the aggravating and mitigating factors, before taking into account your guilty plea, the sentence is 12 years and 6 months. I will reduce that by just over 15 per cent because of your guilty plea.

"That reduces the sentence to 10 years and six months."

LIVE: Judge to sentence Timothy Brehmer for manslaughter of long-term lover

BBM.

I take issue with this. It's such minimizing language, to call it a struggle, even if the jury accepted his version and not the version that he intentionally strangled her while not in control.

And holding a person's neck with so much force that three bones break, the windpipe moves, and there is deep muscle bruising, and for so long (10 to 30 seconds is long if you imagine that action and watch the clock tick by), clearly carries a risk of death or serious injury. Her jaw was moving which shows she wasn't unconscious, she was fighting for her life. I don't accept she would have been fighting to stay in the car while he killed her. I don't think the jury gave it enough time, but perhaps the expert witnesses didn't do a good enough job.
Hit the nail on the head here.

I don’t know if it was the expert witnesses so much as the prosecutor imvho. I appreciate it is harsh to judge based solely upon commentary but the defence barrister came across to me as more fluent, more detailed, more probing & more hard-working in securing a verdict than the prosecution barrister did. @Tortoise came up with better questions.

I am disappointed in yesterday’s verdict, and don’t feel it fits the crime but perhaps it fits the presentation of the case to the jury.

Last edited:
I take issue with this. It's such minimizing language, to call it a struggle, even if the jury accepted his version and not the version that he intentionally strangled her while not in control.

And holding a person's neck with so much force that three bones break, the windpipe moves, and there is deep muscle bruising, and for so long (10 to 30 seconds is long if you imagine that action and watch the clock tick by), clearly carries a risk of death or serious injury. Her jaw was moving which shows she wasn't unconscious, she was fighting for her life. I don't accept she would have been fighting to stay in the car while he killed her. I don't think the jury gave it enough time, but perhaps the expert witnesses didn't do a good enough job.

I mean why was his version even believed?

I mean why was his version even believed?
My take on this (and is only from the live stream), is that the prosecution did a poor job and painted the victim in a bad light. IMO, because of this, the victim garnered no sympathy with the jury. After day 1, I couldn't understand why the prosecution was pursuing a murder conviction and thought perhaps it was a political thing within the police (to be pursuing this for a murder conviction) and was scratching my head the the prosecution stance (so in agreement with @elliefant here). I think this is part of the reason why his version was believed.
I have questions around the scene forensics and the phone.
I also wonder whether he would have got much more for a murder conviction?

So the loss of control law proved key in this case. Without it the judge would have had to accept that his actions were unintentional. I'm not convinced that the jury decided this through the murder-loss of control route. For 11 people to agree that they might have acted in exactly the same way. I'm glad the jury was made aware of the learned judge's judgement on the evidence. I feel they were negligent in their short deliberations but the judge pulled it back to the extent that he could.

7 years in custody then if my maths is right.

Yes I make it around that. I always wonder why judges try to sound so harsh and then hand out the minimum possible.
Feel so sad for Claire’s family and her children, they must feel no justice has been done, knowing this creep will be back on the streets in a few years.

So the loss of control law proved key in this case. Without it the judge would have had to accept that his actions were unintentional. I'm not convinced that the jury decided this through the murder-loss of control route. For 11 people to agree that they might have acted in exactly the same way. I'm glad the jury was made aware of the learned judge's judgement on the evidence. I feel they were negligent in their short deliberations but the judge pulled it back to the extent that he could.

As you know I am no fan of sentence inflation, and manslaughter can carry similar tariffs to murder (in NZ they are both seen as life sentences, though in practice murder gets a higher non-parol period). Good work by the judge to come down hard notwithstanding.

With that said, I am so not a fan of this "crime of passion" stuff which seems to belong to a by-gone era. They got in a row and he inflicted fatal injuries in a physical attack. Seems much more like murder to me than manslaughter.

Also he staged the crime scene and had a 100% unbelievable version. So why does the jury take his story seriously?

Disappointing.

Mr Parry said: 'I am incredibly disappointed at the verdict of this trial. I believe Brehmer's account of that day to be inconsistent and untruthful.

'As the murder trial heard, he conducted a factory reset on his mobile telephone which has hindered the police investigation and leaves us with an incomplete picture of events on that day.

'I feel we will never truly know exactly what happened.

'What we do know is that Brehmer used such force against Claire that she suffered fractures to her neck, lost consciousness, went into cardiac arrest and eventually died.

'Having used that amount of force, he has failed to render any assistance to her which could have saved her life. As a trained police officer, he would have had the ability to do this.

'Instead, he chose to tell lies from the moment he was discovered by witnesses, stating that Claire had stabbed him.

'He has since admitted that this was a lie and that he inflicted those injuries on himself.

'This lie led to a delay in Claire receiving what could have been lifesaving treatment, a fact that remains incredibly distressing. Brehmer is a well-practised liar with years of experience.

'He has shown himself - as the trial exposed - to be consistently dishonest, deceitful and devious. We do not accept his version of events and all the inconsistencies that it contains.'

'Claire was a caring nurse practitioner who helped many people in a career of over 20 years. She was a loving family member and a doting mother who leaves behind two young children. Her energy and enthusiasm for life were infectious and our lives are poorer without her in them. This trial has been a horrendous ordeal for all of Claire's family and friends.'

[...]

A Dorset Police source told MailOnline: 'A lot of Tim's former colleagues were surprised that he was found not guilty of murder.

'He will now only serve ten years for her manslaughter but will likely be out in half that time on licence.

'When you think that Andrew Parry will never see his wife again and his children will never see their mum again, you have to question if 10-years is a suitable punishment.

'I don't think anybody would think it's nearly enough.

'He has taken a life and in the process left a whole family devastated.'

[...]

Mr Justice Jacobs said ...

'This is a case where I should sentence you on the basis you lost your self-control following the sending of the text message to your wife where the affair was revealed, rather than on the basis that you had no intention to kill or cause really serious harm.

'I am sure that you did deliberately take Claire Parry by the neck applying significant force with your forearm or the crook of your elbow for a period of time while she struggled against you, thereby causing the severe neck injuries which the pathologist described.

'The evidence from the pathologist was that those injuries which she described as 'severe' on a scale of mild, moderate or severe resulted from the application of significant force to the neck for a period of a minimum 10 to 30 seconds and possibly longer.

'She said it was difficult to envisage a situation where a struggle in the car imparted the necessary degree of force or could explain the extent and severity of the neck injuries.

'You were a trained and experienced police officer and your character witnesses described how you would help others.

'Yet you did nothing to try to help Claire Parry. You did not ask her how she was. That was because you knew how she was.

'You could not possibly thought, as you said in your police interview, that she was simply taking a breath.

'You must have known that her body had gone limp after your assault on her. Before you walked to the car park entrance you must have seen how she was - hanging half out of the car.

'It must have been obvious to you as a trained police officer with extensive experience of casualties in traffic accidents that she was not breathing.

'In evidence you said you did not realise she was poorly. I consider that you appreciated that she was much worse than that.

'There was a significant mental and physical suffering caused to the deceased who must have appreciated that her life was being taken from her and who, on the evidence of the bruising to her body, must have fought hard against you, if only for a short while.

'You sought at the scene to blame her for stabbing you and thereby lied to the police and others who are asking you what has happened.

'These lies were in my view particularly serious, bearing in mind that you were a service police officer and the public is entitled to expect a person in your position to tell other police officers the truth.'

[...]

It can also be revealed today that, so distressing was the trial, one juror had to be discharged because of the impact it was having on her mental health.

Police officer jailed 10 years after admitting to murder of mistress | Daily Mail Online

How much different would the sentence have been for “unlawful manslaughter” instead of “loss of control manslaughter”? The starting point for the latter was 14 years, what is it for the former? I assume the same advancement and mitigation factors would then apply.

I really struggle to accept that this could be deemed as a normal reaction by somebody in the same situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fake_facer_addict
Back