UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't the first time the word "vulnerable" has been used in this case. All babies are vulnerable. Might Victoria have had a physical abnormality or unusual weakness, or been at risk of having one, perhaps in light of her siblings' records?
At the very least, we know there had been no antenatal care.

But as you said yourself, all newborns are vulnerable, and the prosecution is undoubtedly going to lay that on with a trowel.

I don't think any medical detail about the older children will be allowed into the media in a million years, so I'd say any speculation of that type is probably wasted energy!

JMO

It's possible that they knew a lot of underground people and had access to drug dens or what I would.call "smack houses" where a few quid in cash would be welcomed for a roof over their heads. BTW I have a particular interest in this case as I knew one of the defendants very well for a few years prior to them meeting one another. JMO
MOO

I am sorry, it must be very weird and difficult for you to read all of this. Having known the defendant, are you shocked all this has happened or were you expecting that something bad would happen eventually?

This is from the Argus on the section of the prosecutor's opening speech in which he considers the manslaughter charge (the one that carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment), and how in the Crown's submission there is evidence that proves both defendants are guilty on this charge.

Unfortunately this is not a full transcript, but this is what's in the Argus:

"Fourth, we hear about the count of gross negligence manslaughter.

Given Mr Little's earlier remarks that four of Marten and Gordon's children had been taken into care previously, he says that the couple acted "to prevent the child [baby Victoria] being taken into care that she so dearly needed."

He added: "What took place on the South Downs was done in the teeth of those warnings by social workers and the courts, and at a time when the defendants knew perfectly well that other children had been removed from their care.

"In short, they prioritised their own relationship and their own desires over the safety and wellbeing of their own baby." "

That last sentence is remarkable. Mr Little has been foaming rather a lot, so it may be going too far to conclude from his words about their asserted prioritisation of their own relationship above the wellbeing of their daughter that that the SS had demanded that CM dump MG.

What's the problem with their relationship? I have no idea, but the Crown certainly seems to be asserting that there is one, or was one, and so hopefully they will seek to back their assertion up.

Defying SS and going vagrant proves guilt of the type of homicide known as manslaughter??

In his brief opening speech (defence opening speeches are usually brief, if they happen at all), John Femi-Ola KC, appearing for MG, has said Victoria didn't require medical assistance and that she died in the circumstances CM described in her police interview.

The prosecution must prove otherwise for there to be a verdict of guilty to manslaughter.

The prosecution is now presenting its case. The Argus have not reported an opening speech by CM's barrister, so it seems there probably wasn't one.

In his brief opening speech (defence opening speeches are usually brief, if they happen at all), John Femi-Ola KC, appearing for MG, has said Victoria didn't require medical assistance and that she died in the circumstances CM described in her police interview.

The prosecution must prove otherwise for there to be a verdict of guilty to manslaughter.

So poor Victoria died in perfectly natural circumstances then?

Mr Little has told the jury that Marten and Gordon booked a holiday cottage in Northumberland on December 20, 2022.

The booking was made until Boxing Day 2022.

Mr Little said: "The defendants left the property in something of a hurry. When the owners of the property checked the property on 28th December 2022 it was in something of a state.

"There was food debris, rubbish and urine stains noticeable. However, the defendants had washed the bedding and sheets from the master bedroom, which were found, laundered, in the washing machine." BBM

In all honesty I think the baby was born sometime at the holiday cottage and the bedding was washed to conceal the birth there.

jmo
I agree with this and I wonder if some of the urine stains were where her waters broke? Maybe they even urinated over them to further try conceal the birth?

It's possible that they knew a lot of underground people and had access to drug dens or what I would.call "smack houses" where a few quid in cash would be welcomed for a roof over their heads. BTW I have a particular interest in this case as I knew one of the defendants very well for a few years prior to them meeting one another. JMO
MOO
One thing I've noticed with this case, compared to other recent cases I've followed which are based around the unlawful death of an infant by their guardian, is that drug abuse by CM and MG doesn't appear to be a part of the case against them. Whereas in almost all of the other cases I can think of, it's a major factor!

One thing I've noticed with this case, compared to other recent cases I've followed which are based around the unlawful death of an infant by their guardian, is that drug abuse by CM and MG doesn't appear to be a part of the case against them. Whereas in almost all of the other cases I can think of, it's a major factor!
I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe it will come up further into the trial regarding one of the defendants. JMO. MOO

So poor Victoria died in perfectly natural circumstances then?
Being crushed to death by your sleeping mother might be regarded more as negligence, or at best accidental death, than natural circumstances imo, but in any case, that's according to MG's defence barrister, John Femi-Ola KC, so isn't a statement of fact so much as an argument.

This is MG's barrister - not bad considering he's the one without the trust fund.

John Femi-Ola KC - 3TG Barristers Chambers

Being crushed to death by your sleeping mother might be regarded more as negligence, or at best accidental death, than natural circumstances imo, but in any case, that's according to MG's defence barrister, John Femi-Ola KC, so isn't a statement of fact so much as an argument.

This is MG's barrister - not bad considering he's the one without the trust fund.

John Femi-Ola KC - 3TG Barristers Chambers

They exposed Victoria to unnecessary life-threatening conditions and she died. They can argue all they like.

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe it will come up further into the trial regarding one of the defendants. JMO. MOO
I suppose if you're camped out in the freezing cold with significant police resources being put into finding you and your name and face all over the news... it's not going to be the easiest environment in which to acquire illegal drugs!

I think the plan to rent a flat was before they were recognised, she had the means to and I think she was saying that was their plan, but then the police and hunt was on and it changed the plan.

The statement, however, says ‘buy’ not ‘rent’. That’s what surprised me.

2:17pm

Judge Mark Lucraft KC, recorder for London, has just answered a question from the jury about the trial.
He reminded the jury that, as Marten and Gordon are co-accused, they must give separate verdicts on each charge for each defendant.
Judge Lucraft also told the jury that Marten is in conference with her legal representatives and is not in court for today's proceedings.

Again?!

I am sorry, it must be very weird and difficult for you to read all of this. Having known the defendant, are you shocked all this has happened or were you expecting that something bad would happen eventually?
I am completely shocked and moreso each day by the detail coming out and what was going throigh their minds. Eg) petrol for proposed cremation of baby V, cat litter and candle wax all over the holiday cottage, bottles of urine in their tent....
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
2:17pm

Judge Mark Lucraft KC, recorder for London, has just answered a question from the jury about the trial.
He reminded the jury that, as Marten and Gordon are co-accused, they must give separate verdicts on each charge for each defendant.
Judge Lucraft also told the jury that Marten is in conference with her legal representatives and is not in court for today's proceedings.

Again?!

Hmm. I wonder if she will start turning on him.

I am completely shocked and moreso each day by the detail coming out and what was going throigh their minds. Eg) petrol for proposed cremation of baby V, cat litter and candle wax all over the holiday cottage, bottles of urine in their tent....
<modsnip>

I am sorry, it must be very surreal and hard to read all this. I hope you are okay.

Here is a timeline of events leading up to the defendants’ arrest, as laid out by the prosecution:

– December 20 2022

Gordon and Marten booked into a holiday cottage in Northumberland, after making an online booking until December 26. The property owners found the cottage left in a “disgusting state” on December 28, jurors heard.

– December 28

The defendants’ Suzuki car broke down on the M18 motorway between junctions 5 and 6, and a recovery driver took them to a Sainsbury’s supermarket nearby. Gordon initially asked to be taken to Thorne in South Yorkshire. No baby is seen or heard by the recovery driver.

– January 4 2023

The couple moved across the Pennines and checked into the Ibis hotel at the Lymm Services in Cheshire in the early hours of the morning. Later the same day, they also checked into the AC Hotel in Manchester.

– January 5

A Peugeot 206 car being used by the defendants caught fire on the M61 motorway in Greater Manchester, causing them to flee. Marten’s passport, “burner” phones and a placenta wrapped in a towel were discarded in the wreckage, jurors were told.

A high-risk missing persons inquiry was then launched and the couple became front-page news, the court was told. The defendants were picked up by a member of the public and taken to a Morrisons store in Bolton, where they arrived just before 8pm.

From the nearby Bolton Interchange station, the defendants took a taxi to Liverpool before they instructed another taxi to drive them around 270 miles to Harwich in Essex.

– January 6

The couple arrived in Harwich in the early hours of the morning and checked into a Premier Inn hotel at about 3am. In the evening, they moved to another hotel in town, the Fryatt Hotel, where they paid in cash.

– January 7

The defendants checked out of the Fryatt Hotel just before 7am and took a taxi to Colchester. Another taxi was taken later that morning from Colchester to High Street North in East Ham, east London.

Gordon and Marten visited an Argos store where they bought a buggy, before they took a taxi from East Ham to Whitehchapel. They ate that evening in a restaurant in Brick Lane.

The defendants dumped the buggy they had bought earlier that day, the court heard. It is alleged the baby was transferred to a Lidl bag-for-life where she spent much of the rest of her life.

– January 8

The defendants travelled by taxi to north London and arrived just after midnight, before they spent £475 on a taxi from Hornsey to Newhaven in East Sussex. They arrived in Newhaven just before 5am and walked to the South Downs National Park.

Marten entered a Texaco petrol station and bought snacks and petrol with cash. There was no sign of the baby.

– January 16

A dog walker saw the defendants’ tent set up in Stanmer Park Nature Reserve in the South Downs. Gordon was seen getting out of a tent and carrying a bag-for-life. The tent was not in the same position a week later.

In the same month, they were also seen on a rural path near the Seven Sisters cliffs.

– February 16/17

Another dog walker saw the defendants near Hollingbury Golf Course in rural Sussex. They were pushing a buggy but the witness did not see a baby.

– February 17

A witness noticed the defendants’ tent set up in Coldean Lane in Brighton.

– February 18

A driver noticed the defendants together in the area of Coldean Lane walking towards Stanmer Park. Marten appeared to have something under her puffer jacket.

– February 19

Gordon and Marten were seen in Stanmer Park with their blue tent. Marten was carrying a very young baby with a wobbly head, but the baby had no socks on, no blanket and no hat on.

– February 20

The defendants were captured on CCTV trying and failing to break in to Hollingbury Golf Course and were “scavenging for food from the bins”, jurors heard.

– February 27

Marten and Gordon smelled “very unpleasant” as they were arrested in Hollingbury Place in Brighton, jurors heard. They were carrying furniture stuffing and paper in their clothing for extra warmth.

Marten and Gordon left wine stains on the quilt, urine on the bathroom floor and cat litter on the living room chairs, the court heard.

She said that Marten had booked the two-bed cottage on Booking.com on December 20, 2022 and asked to check-in that night.

She said: 'On December 20, 2022 at 4.04pm my husband came downstairs to tell me we had our first booking.

'The booking was for the same day for six nights and the total cost was £367.20.'

Marten then messaged Ms Richardson, saying: 'Your property looks nice even without a bath- it's a really nice cottage, one I intend to tell my friends about.'

Marten later rang her and asked how she could get the keys, the court heard.

Ms Richardson said: 'I asked where she was coming from and she stated Sheffield. I explained it would be pitch black due to time and gave her the key code.

'She sounded very young and demure during the phone call. I remember thinking she was in a busy place- it sounded very noisy and at the time I thought it was a busy office.'

The court heard that Marten later texted her to say: 'Hi Maria thank you very much for the prosecco and chocolates- that was much appreciated. I'm curious- did you do the interior design yourself? Thanks, Constance.'

Ms Richardson then sent texts on Christmas Eve and on Boxing Day with check-out instructions, but Marten did not reply.

She and her husband then went to the cottage, which has a backyard overlooking woodland, on 28 December.

She said: 'As I went to put the key in the front door we both noticed the living room curtains were still closed.

'The first thing I noticed was candle wax all over the living room table and on the carpet.

'There were washed up pans on the kitchen sink, dirty cups, glasses. The hob was caked in food and there were food stains all over.

'There were urine stains all over the toilet and floor. There was cat litter all over the floor and chair in the living room.

'There were numerous empty water bottles around the bedroom floor, empty cartons of fruit, the quilt had red wine stains and the throw had a curry stain.

'In the back bedroom the bedding on both single beds was unslept in but disturbed.'

The bedsheets from the double bed were found laundered in the washing machine, the court heard.

Marten claimed to police she gave birth in the holiday cottage but the prosecution dispute this.

I wonder if both of them had been drinking red wine.

What legal representatives does CM have in court today?

Am I right that both defence teams have agreed not to contest the evidence from the witnesses who are appearing in her absence, e.g. to the effect that the defendants didn't clear up all the candle wax and food crumbs in the place where they stayed for a week over Christmas 2022? (Goodness knows what charge that evidence goes to, but admittedly I haven't seen the photos.)

Constance Marten trial: Dead baby 'well cared for' by parents, court told

The trial of a mother and father accused of killing their baby has heard that she was "well cared for" by her parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark2221