UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a good thing to keep those two at a bit of a distance, first chance they get, iykwim, stranger things have happened, half-kidding! speculation, imo.
View attachment 479598
Constance Marten and Mark Gordon seated with a dock officer at the Old Bailey (Elizabeth Cook/PA)
That picture is not from today. He was wearing a shirt and tie and she wore a floral blouse

‘Concerned' taxi driver who Constance Marten paid £475 for three-hour trip 'thought he heard cat meowing in his cab before realising the aristocrat had a baby with her'​

If I wanted to write this as a novel, I would have a plea bargain in which the aristocrat pleads guilty in return for all charges against her lover being dropped.
sMB. I wonder if this is what the ‘legal conferences’ were about?

I can't believe they had a cat...living rough and they've got a cat! And then add a baby to the mix. This whole case beggars belief!

Do we know where they were living before 20th December 2022? I think they may have been housed, but in a location known to social services (and perhaps with neighbours who knew the history and wouldn't hesitate to call SS), hence the need to move on. SS knew where to find her when she was pregnant in May 2021, and she refused them entry.

Then they go to a holiday cottage and take their cat with them, much as people would take a dog on holiday. Then they would have planned to set up a home in a completely different area to the one they were living in before, and hope that SS didn't join the dots. They didn't expect the car fire to alert the authorities to Victoria's existence, followed by the national publicity, which suddenly made finding accommodation impossible and sleeping rough a necessity.

I'm not sure living rough with a cat is so different to doing the same with a dog. They wouldn't be the first people to do it - look at James Bowen of A Street Cat Named Bob fame. James Bowen (author) - Wikipedia

... but when they took the cat with them, they didn't expect to end up sleeping rough, IMO

I'm intrigued as to where they were living in the run up to December. Maybe they had a more permanent residence where the cat had some space?

When I lived in London, more than once I saw people on the tube with cats on leads. They had baskets too so I presume it was as they were travelling somewhere. It was very odd. I think most cats I've owned would want to literally dig their claws into me though if I tried to get a lead on them!
I was wondering where they were living also. There was that place in Greenwich, that was left in a bit of a state but no timeline as to living arrangements as far as I’m aware.

Do we know where they were living before 20th December 2022? I think they may have been housed, but in a location known to social services (and perhaps with neighbours who knew the history and wouldn't hesitate to call SS), hence the need to move on. SS knew where to find her when she was pregnant in May 2021, and she refused them entry.
The unlikely couple cut off contact with friends and family, and led an ‘insular’ life in which police said the ‘affluent, normal, social aspects’ of Marten’s existence came to an abrupt halt.

Largely funded by a trust fund in her name, they moved from property to property.

In September 2022 they were evicted from a flat in London for non-payment of rent and switched between Airbnb properties.

Totally agree with this. It’s as if they are making a mockery of this trial and what about them whispering to each other? Surely it could adversely affect the trial? They could be concocting more alibis… not that they have any but you catch my drift!
In many cases defendants would be released on bail with no restrictions on communicating with each other. I guess
The unlikely couple cut off contact with friends and family, and led an ‘insular’ life in which police said the ‘affluent, normal, social aspects’ of Marten’s existence came to an abrupt halt.

Largely funded by a trust fund in her name, they moved from property to property.

In September 2022 they were evicted from a flat in London for non-payment of rent and switched between Airbnb properties.

Living in Air B N B’s in London would have meant they were still enjoying the trappings of her affluent life! Holiday homes are not a cheap way to live day to day.

Going back to the autopsy that CM said she wanted for Victoria.

Firstly, why did she want one? To prove they didn’t kill her?

Secondly, if that’s what she really wanted, then why did she not take her poor body and leave it outside a GP, a hospital, anywhere with a note?

Why were they carrying her body around?

In everything they did and do, Victoria is at the back of their mind. First and foremost are their needs and what is easy for them.

Talking / whispering during the trial does show contempt. It is rude and shows a level of disinterest in what is being said. I guess they are past the point of making good impressions.

Also:

"It is unclear how he and Marten met, but it is reported that they moved into a small, terraced house in Ilford, East London. The couple were “mysterious”, a neighbour told The Sunday Times...

...Gordon and Marten were reportedly evicted from their home in Ilford. Where they went next is unclear, though by August 2020 they were living on the Coldharbour Estate in Greenwich. Neighbours told the Evening Standard that shouting was sometimes heard from the flat and that Marten and Gordon would spend long periods of time elsewhere. The tenancy agreement was in Marten’s name, but the couple were not paying rent. They were evicted in August last year, and are reported to have left smoke damage and a partially collapsed ceiling, with the damage amounting to thousands of pounds’ worth of repairs.

Where they then went remains unclear. Gordon’s mother Sylvia, who lives in Florida, told the Daily Mail she believed the pair had secretly married “some time ago”."

I was wondering where they were living also. There was that place in Greenwich, that was left in a bit of a state but no timeline as to living arrangements as far as I’m aware.

Ah yes, you are right, they were living in Eltham until Sept 2022 (when she began to show, I imagine) and then led a 'nomadic lifestyle', having withdrawn £15k cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill