UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 Sep 2016 #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
His best friend said he’d previously slept in a bin using a bin bag as a blanket. That settles it for me I think, although it’s still a mystery as to where his body ended up.

RAF airman Corrie Mckeague 'slept under bin bags' - inquest

This case swings my opinion back and forth like a pendulum. I was really in the accidentally-taken-to-the-landfill camp, but after reading this I'm now moving back toward thinking something different happened. I do still believe that "something different" was either accidental or foul play rather than a voluntary disappearance.

It was previously made to seem that he hid out in bins/dumpsters frequently, but this article and his friend's testimony make it seem like it really only happened once. I ran out of gas once and had to make the 2-mile trek home wearing bright purple pajamas and carrying a birthday cake, but it doesn't mean that I "always" drive in my jammies.

Owlpellet, I love the adorable fox you have set for your avatar :)

His best friend said he’d previously slept in a bin using a bin bag as a blanket. That settles it for me I think, although it’s still a mystery as to where his body ended up.

That's not what he's quoted as saying. It doesn't say he slept "in a bin". You've put your own interpretation on it and changed the meaning quite radically.

There's an extra bit of detail in the local paper:

"In his witness statement, Mr Robb detailed how Mr McKeague had previously passed out through drink and awoken the following morning in the toilets of a McDonald’s restaurant in Bury St Edmunds, and on a separate occasion fell asleep on a bench outside a Tesco store in the town.

He said that on a stag do in Liverpool in August 2016 Mr McKeague climbed up a drainpipe and through a window of the accommodation where he was staying, getting into a room that was not his and falling asleep there."

'There was no worry about him', says doorman who spoke to Corrie McKeague

People have said that Corrie told them that night that he was going to walk home. He had already had a sleep in a shop doorway when he arrived at the horseshoe. I'm convinced that he relieved himself behind the bins and walked away up Short Brackland without being caught by the rotating camera. Sooner or later he may have accepted a lift or met with some kind of mishap, but that could have been anywhere, perhaps well away from town.

Last edited:
That's not what he's quoted as saying. It doesn't say he slept "in a bin". You've put your own interpretation on it and changed the meaning quite radically.

There's an extra bit of detail in the local paper:

"In his witness statement, Mr Robb detailed how Mr McKeague had previously passed out through drink and awoken the following morning in the toilets of a McDonald’s restaurant in Bury St Edmunds, and on a separate occasion fell asleep on a bench outside a Tesco store in the town.

He said that on a stag do in Liverpool in August 2016 Mr McKeague climbed up a drainpipe and through a window of the accommodation where he was staying, getting into a room that was not his and falling asleep there."

'There was no worry about him', says doorman who spoke to Corrie McKeague

People have said that Corrie told them that night that he was going to walk home. He had already had a sleep in a shop doorway when he arrived at the horseshoe. I'm convinced that he relieved himself behind the bins and walked away up Short Brackland without being caught by the rotating camera. Sooner or later he may have accepted a lift or met with some kind of mishap, but that could have been anywhere, perhaps well away from town.

I don’t think I’m making much of an interpretive leap here to say his friend was saying he slept in a bin:

"He told me he slept under some bin bags," Mr Robb told the coroner's court.

"I can't remember if he described them being full of rubbish, outside a coffee shop or something like that.

"Round the back where the bin area was.

"He described using them almost like a blanket to stay warm."

I think it’s reasonable to deduce he was in a bin. Unless the bins were full to overflowing and there were also bags of rubbish stacked on the pavement next to the bins and so he was sleeping on the pavement under these bin bags instead….which would actually seem stranger to me than getting into the bin.

Owlpellet, I love the adorable fox you have set for your avatar :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks deadfoot 13 :)

He wouldn't jump in a bin he was wearing designer clothes and boots, landfill theory was red herring!!!

I seem to recall it was just office rubbish though…mainly paper. So fairly clean.

I’ve swithered about it all too. And I’m still open to the idea that something happened to him on the long walk home. But I think it’s more likely he woke up very cold after his short sleep and just wanted to crawl into a warm safe space for a while. I don’t think it was so strange that a young man in the forces experienced in bivvying etc. would consider “dossing down” in a bin for a few hours until he felt able to drive back to the base. It would save him the walk and having to come back for the car.

It was horribly unfortunate that they did bin collections at the weekends. He wouldn’t have expected that.

....and he walked away up Short Brackland without being caught by the rotating camera.

I mean, what were the chances?!? On the one night something happened the camera didn't manage to capture it.

Of course, even if the camera DID capture him that night, it may not have helped solve what happened to Corrie, but it would have solved which direction he went, left, right or bin.

Any car waiting to pick him up or any person waiting to speak to him would have been spotted on the camera there.

Followed this from the very start . I'm fairly local to his hometown so local and national news coverage was on his disappearance quickly as well as being picked up here on WS .
As a mum I wouldn't like my angel boy having his flaws exposed but hopefully this inquest into his disappearance ( should have happened so much sooner IMO ) will bring some answers or at the very least , info to digest . However nothing said will detract from the lovely, smiley and fun son and brother he was .
the inquest has brought me back here where we pored over every theory , detail and piece of CCTV. Let's hope the next few weeks lead to answers , his family need to know .

I don’t think I’m making much of an interpretive leap here to say his friend was saying he slept in a bin:

"He told me he slept under some bin bags," Mr Robb told the coroner's court.
"I can't remember if he described them being full of rubbish, outside a coffee shop or something like that.
"Round the back where the bin area was.
"He described using them almost like a blanket to stay warm."

I think it’s reasonable to deduce he was in a bin. Unless the bins were full to overflowing and there were also bags of rubbish stacked on the pavement next to the bins and so he was sleeping on the pavement under these bin bags instead….which would actually seem stranger to me than getting into the bin.

But his friend didn't say he slept in a bin. He's told us what he remembers Corrie saying, and surely if Corrie had slept inside a bin he would have said so, and Mr Robb would have remembered that.
So no, I think that evidence indicates that he didn't get into a bin.

I mean, what were the chances?!? On the one night something happened the camera didn't manage to capture it.

Of course, even if the camera DID capture him that night, it may not have helped solve what happened to Corrie, but it would have solved which direction he went, left, right or bin.

Any car waiting to pick him up or any person waiting to speak to him would have been spotted on the camera there.
That last shot of Corrie looking round furtively was from that camera, wasn't it? I think the chances are very reasonable that the camera missed him leaving. I can't remember how long the camera takes to turn, but it would only take a few paces to cross into Short Brackland and be out of camera sight.

That last shot of Corrie looking round furtively was from that camera, wasn't it? I think the chances are very reasonable that the camera missed him leaving. I can't remember how long the camera takes to turn, but it would only take a few paces to cross into Short Brackland and be out of camera sight.

Reasonable, oh yes.

But the one person it didn't pick up, was the one person that went missing.
Sometimes fate deals a cruel hand.

Reasonable, oh yes.
But the one person it didn't pick up, was the one person that went missing.
Sometimes fate deals a cruel hand.
Yes, if it had only been pointing in the right direction when/if he left the horseshoe, there would have been no bin theory and a huge amount of money and effort saved.

Waste collection driver says he 'checked' and Corrie McKeague was not in bin | ITV News

This is Martyn Thompson the biffa bin lorry driver:

"He continued: "I checked it. I lifted the lid, I can recall what was in there."

Mr Thompson said he looked "far enough to see three clear plastic bags".

Asked if there was anyone inside the bin, he replied: "No, there wasn't."

Mr Taheri asked if Mr Thompson gave the bin a "good enough kick to rouse anyone inside", and Mr Thompson replied: "Absolutely, yes."

Asked if he would be surprised to hear that there was "more than 100kg" (15st 10lb) in the bin, Mr Thompson replied: "Yes."

Mr Taheri asked Mr Thompson if he stood by his description that there was not much in the bin, to which he replied: "I do." "

I'm not sure where I stand now. I always thought on balance poor Corrie did get in the bin, but now I think there is a shadow of doubt. Just because he had slept in a bin before, doesn't mean he slept in a bin that time. I think something happened on the way back, or walking elsewhere. :(

Again the EADT has a little more for us:

Asked by Peter Taheri, counsel to the inquest, if he checked inside the bin before emptying it, Mr Thompson said:
"I did check the bin because me and a colleague of mine, we always had this thing with that particular job.

"It was over-serviced – Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
"It always had very little in it, two plastic bags.
"I would say ‘What an expletive waste of time’."

He continued: "I checked it. I lifted the lid, I can recall what was in there."

Corrie McKeague inquest: Lorry driver says 'no-one inside bin' that was emptied

Just because he had slept in a bin before, doesn't mean he slept in a bin that time.
Do you have a source for his having "slept in a bin before", or did you just pick this up from the earlier misquote?

Again the EADT has a little more for us:

Asked by Peter Taheri, counsel to the inquest, if he checked inside the bin before emptying it, Mr Thompson said:
"I did check the bin because me and a colleague of mine, we always had this thing with that particular job.

"It was over-serviced – Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
"It always had very little in it, two plastic bags.
"I would say ‘What an expletive waste of time’."

He continued: "I checked it. I lifted the lid, I can recall what was in there."

Corrie McKeague inquest: Lorry driver says 'no-one inside bin' that was emptied

Do you have a source for his having "slept in a bin before", or did you just pick this up from the earlier misquote?

I can't tell whether this is fact or not at this point, when it first happened I remember reading that he had slept in bin(s) and we'd all just sort of accepted it as established fact, has this been completely debunked now?

Police desperate to justify that expensive, dreadful search of the landfill.

Lawyer Matthew Holdcroft, for Suffolk Police, told Mr Thompson: "The part of your account we reject is that you looked inside the bin."
Mr Holdcroft said that the time taken for the bin lorry to enter and leave the service area was 51 seconds.
Mr Thompson disagreed with Mr Holdcroft's suggestion that he "simply didn't have the time to look in the bin".
Mr Holdcroft suggested to Mr Thompson: "You didn't take any care whatsoever."
The bin lorry driver replied: "No, I did."

No dispute that the bin was emptied, obviously, but it only takes a second to lift the lid and look inside , surely.

Didn’t Corrie’s phone track the route of the bin lorry for part of the journey?

I don’t know what to think. Part of me wonders if he WAS in the bin and ended up in the truck, but managed to get out before it got to landfill. It beggars belief that he wasn’t found there, and surely they ran cadaver dogs over what was left when they’d searched most of the rubbish?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back