UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As unpalateable as it is, they have spent 20 weeks searching, spent £1.2 million, shifted heavens knows how much rubbish and found nothing and have called a halt. I feel for the family but how much longer could it go on?, I know if it were my son I should want them to continue, but is he really there?

<modsnip> Media images of rubbish tips are the ones that will attach to his final moments, unfortunately. It seems that some misjudgements in his lifestyle led to his fate. If only more sceptical attention had been paid to bin lorry weights at the start - especially if Corrie was known to the investigation/ friends/ family/ colleagues (but crucially not to the public) as a skip sleeper. Is this becoming a form of suicide akin to that practised by railway tresspassers? Harsh to blame employees if so.

I would like to hear from the locals. I think some of you are from Suffolk. I am shocked at what has happened here. I am an American, so my shock and a dollar won't buy a cup of coffee these days. I think the constabulary has muffed this from the beginning. I am sure it was not intentional, but it's more keystone cop.

I would like to hear from the locals. I think some of you are from Suffolk. I am shocked at what has happened here. I am an American, so my shock and a dollar won't buy a cup of coffee these days. I think the constabulary has muffed this from the beginning. I am sure it was not intentional, but it's more keystone cop.

As was said right at the beginning of this case, Suffolk is one of the smallest police forces in the UK with only 950 sworn-in full-time officers and 250 part-timers. It's also a predominantly rural county with a few towns scattered about. It sees very few big cases and has had none since the Steven Wright case in 2006 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wright_(serial_killer)) when it received assistance from other forces. It's biggest risk in terms of crime is probably around the ferry and container terminals at Harwick and Felixstowe, but other than that its caseload is probably fairly mundane such as farm thefts, dealing with boy racers, domestic disputes, burglary, anti-social behaviour and so on.

That said, at the time Corrie went missing the force was also dealing with a couple of other disappearances so the available resources were split between these cases.

I disagree. Perhaps if they knew from the beginning he had a propensity for sleeping in bins or skips rather than the pushing of the "third party abduction" theory that may have made a difference to the order in which they performed their tasks. There is still the chance, I believe, that he somehow exited the lorry at Mildenhall and headed in Thetford direction and cross country back to base coming to harm that way. But I do believe SP have done all they can.MOO.
Eta am not from Suffolk but another small East Anglia county.

My heart breaks for Corrie's family. They are undoubtedly in unimaginable pain today.

For those who may not have read it yet, I posted the Suffolk Police update in its entirety in the media thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Media-*NO-DISCUSSION*&p=13516597#post13516597

Thank you for posting this.

From the update:
“Officers have been finding items such as newspapers and other material that have September 2016 dates on them. This is the time that Corrie went missing. Some items have been clearly identifiable as coming from Bury St Edmunds and this has confirmed that we have been searching in the right place, however none of these items have had any link to Corrie. We have also found items such as mobile phones, footwear and clothing and each one of these items has been checked to ensure it did not belong to Corrie.

(...)

Det Supt Elliott said; “I cannot thank them (the officers carrying out the search) enough for their efforts; in recent weeks searchers have been working in 20-30 degree heat while wearing layers of protective clothing – heavyweight trousers to protect from sharp items, face masks and gloves - and have needed hydration tablets in addition to supplies of water to combat the risk of heat exhaustion.

BBM

Imagine finding yet another mobile phone that isn't Corrie's either ....
Just as well they did not find other bodies.

Kudos to all who worked there. I have no idea how this would affect people but I wish you all the very best and a long, long holiday.

RIP Corrie McKeague :rose:

In the police update, it says: "It is known there were several collections in Bury St Edmunds after the Brentgovel Street one before the bin lorry went on to other collections in Mildenhall, Newmarket, Soham and Ely."

Yet his phone stayed on the BM mast until 8.30am when it was either destroyed or ran out of battery. It doesn't add up.

Thank you for sharing the article Reallyodd.

It must be absolutely awful for the family.

I have been absent for a while with this case however this is he 1st I've heard about a tip being given on who killed Corrie and that being the reason the police started searching landfill. Or did I read that wrong?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

"It is known there were several collections in Bury St Edmunds after the Brentgovel Street one before the bin lorry went on to other collections in Mildenhall, Newmarket, Soham and Ely."

It's good to have that clarified at last. I wonder if there is CCTV at any or all of the locations.

I have been absent for a while with this case however this is he 1st I've heard about a tip being given on who killed Corrie and that being the reason the police started searching landfill. Or did I read that wrong?

Yes the "tip" is a new snippet of information. I really doubt police based the search on that one call. The police ruled out any third party involvement from looking at the cctv in BSE so I'm struggling to understand how he was "killed".

Whilst my heart goes out to Corries family, I have this niggling feeling that N has, through her desperation, got things muddled. Given out wrong information and in part this has been brought about with the FB page. She has received much encouragement from the members there and in some ways I feel she has been carried along with some of her ideas and remarks. JMO

Do we know what information went straight through to the Private Dectectives and to the landline phone that was set up? I'm going to get slaughtered for this but at times I think 'too many fingers in too many pies'

Living just outside of Bury St Edmunds, locals mostly thought he would turn up, were a small rural county and things like this just never happen here. If only.

I don't understand why people want the police to continue a search that has been completed. They've searched through the area where all the rubbish from the relevant dates was. There is no point in searching waste from another timeframe. Moving on to the incinerated waste instead is the most logical step.

I agree there, they've done the search and now nothing is coming out of the ground from the relevant time frame. Where does The incinerated waste go to once the process has been done?

I dont think Suffolk police would be granted anymore money to carry on landfill search anyway JMO

Whilst my heart goes out to Corries family, I have this niggling feeling that N has, through her desperation, got things muddled. Given out wrong information and in part this has been brought about with the FB page. She has received much encouragement from the members there and in some ways I feel she has taken this as she can do no wrong. JMO

Do we know what information went straight through to the Private Dectectives and to the landline phone that was set up? I'm going to get slaughtered for this but at times I think 'too many fingers in too many pies'

Living just outside of Bury St Edmunds, locals mostly thought he would turn up, were a small rural county and things like this just never happen here. If only.

I totally agree, I sometimes feel it would be better if N spoke less and let the Police do their job.
JMO

As others have said, that is new information. However, there was this comment by N back in March, after the landfill search started: "Mrs Urquhart added: 'I don't think anyone who has put Corrie there is going to come forward - they would have done it by now. But if someone knows how someone is behaving, if they are behaving oddly, we're going to find Corrie if he's in that landfill, so come forward now, so whoever has put him there doesn't get away with saying he's fallen in a bin and it's an accident. At least give us some more closure, not just finding Corrie, but also how he got there and what happened to him.' "

Does the 'killed' tip put a different slant on that? Is it N effectively asking for corroboration/trying to frighten someone as she'd had the tip and wanted more info? Is that all she was allowed to say, rather than stating specifically that it was claimed C was killed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4290764/Man-held-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

Whilst my heart goes out to Corries family, I have this niggling feeling that N has, through her desperation, got things muddled. Given out wrong information and in part this has been brought about with the FB page. She has received much encouragement from the members there and in some ways I feel she has been carried along with some of her ideas and remarks. JMO

I agree. The family taking calls on their own reward hotline was a bad idea.

It's much easier for cruel pranksters to call a mobile phone and get away with it compared to calling the actual police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3