UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching a close up walk through of the area and hadn't before noticed the steps in far corner of the bin area. This would be the perfect place for someone to sit and wait for a lift.

Indeed. It seems those steps are hidden on Streetview because of the cars parked in front of them.

Previously we've agreed that the Hughes doorway were Corrie sat and dozed or slept was an attractive spot because it was sheltered from the wind from several directions. What strikes me is that the steps in the Horseshoe are also sheltered but in an opposite direction to the doorway, so they too would be an attractive place in some circumstances to sit for a while to get out of the wind.

Another point, Tony describes him as being very close to his family, and how close knit they all are....again did someone mention previously that in fact, Tony said they didn't know as much about what went on in his life (or words to that effect) as they thought they did? Can anyone back that up, again just for clarification, trying to clear away rumour..

"Mr Wringe, a former serviceman himself, is also urging anyone who may have seen anything at all that could help the investigation to report it to the police, no matter how uncertain they are.
He said: 'This is entirely out of character. Corrie is so connected to his family, to his brothers, to his friends and to the guys that he serves with.'
Mr Wringe said the 'happy-go-lucky' Corrie was as 'thick as thieves' with his two brothers and would normally tell his family if anything was wrong."

http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/02/missing-raf-serviceman-may-have-been-abducted-6165908/

Last point...

"Nicola said he did not regularly walk the long distance back to his base but had done so in the past."
Ok so it wasn't something he did regularly but he had done it before so there was history of him finding his own way back alone

"Officers admitted he could have jumped on the back of the lorry to hitch a lift and could have injured himself when jumping off to complete his journey on foot."
well I didn't know that, I thought we were all working on the assumption that this had been fully discounted, yet here we are... so could he have jumped on after the bins had been weighed and removed and had turned round to leave?

"It is equally possible he could have willingly, or unwillingly, got in another vehicle which is why, so far, he has not been spotted on CCTV leaving the town on foot. His family believe it is possible someone stole or picked up his phone and threw it away after realising it was of little value."
So he could have just dropped it getting into 'another vehicle..."

"Either way, the device was disconnected from its network in the area at around 8am."
did anyone find out if you could tell wether a device ran out of battery or was turned off?

"If Corrie did accept a lift, Barton Mills would not have been an obvious destination, while the most direct route to Honington on foot would have been on an A-road and country lane."
That leaves the possibility he could have been hit by a car or fell into one of the many waterways along the route. So far, a search        operation involving police helicopters, dogs, RAF personnel and the Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue team has failed to find any sign of him."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19808...ce-of-the-earth-from-near-terror-snatch-site/

Hmmmmm.....

When you search the map for a landfill site in or near Barton Mills, there isn't one. So where is this one that is constantly referred to please?

There's is a reference to it in an earlier thread, someone did reference it, it might a recycling plant they're referring too, it was cleared up

post 319 but can't remember which thread

So where was the bin lorry heading then, MelmothTheLost? Could someone with Facebook ask on the Find Corrie page where the bin lorry was heading and which landfill site they keep referring to is?

I'd guess back to the Hollow Road Biffa site via a few dozen places such as food outlets, hotels, pubs, shops etc?

The police suggest, on their website, that the phone was in that area (and remained "stationary" there) from 0400 to 0800.

If the thinking is now that Corrie might have left willingly and he was with his phone when it was tracked towards Mildenhall, it makes you wonder what he and the driver were doing in those few hours. The phone may have remained within the catchment of the mast there but it doesn't mean it didn't move.

I'm wondering again about the 24h McDonalds on the roundabout. I see it has a drive-through so I wonder if at some point they got coffee or (yet more) food there, eg breakfast, and either parked in the car park or drove on to the picnic spot and lorry park a few hundred yards up the A1065. IF Corrie went AWOL he would probably not want to risk being spotted inside the McDonalds but I wonder if there is CCTV covering the drive-through area and if so how many vehicles passed through it during the hours in question.

There are also two 24h petrol stations on that roundabout but they definitely would have CCTV covering the forecourt. Also, all night petrol stations don't have the shop areas open during the late evening and early morning for security and safety reasons so there'd be no chance to get coffee and a pasty from there until the retail areas reopened properly.

When you search the map for a landfill site in or near Barton Mills, there isn't one. So where is this one that is constantly referred to please?

There isn't a landfill site there. It seems that earlier on "landfill site" was being used in its most generic sense. There is a household waste and recycling site on the A1065, about half a mile north of the Fiveways Roundabout. This is the sort of site an ordinary householder takes small electricals, bits of old carpet or Christmas trees for recycling.

If the thinking is now that Corrie might have left willingly and he was with his phone when it was tracked towards Mildenhall, it makes you wonder what he and the driver were doing in those few hours. The phone may have remained within the catchment of the mast there but it doesn't mean it didn't move.

I'm wondering again about the 24h McDonalds on the roundabout. I see it has a drive-through so I wonder if at some point they got coffee or (yet more) food there, eg breakfast, and either parked in the car park or drove on to the picnic spot and lorry park a few hundred yards up the A1065. IF Corrie went AWOL he would probably not want to risk being spotted inside the McDonalds but I wonder if there is CCTV covering the drive-through area and if so how many vehicles passed through it during the hours in question.

There are also two 24h petrol stations on that roundabout but they definitely would have CCTV covering the forecourt. Also, all night petrol stations don't have the shop areas open during the late evening and early morning for security and safety reasons so there'd be no chance to get coffee and a pasty from there until the retail areas reopened properly.

the frustrating thing is that I doubt they held into the cctv all that long, and never even thought to watch it as soon as the enquiry started, as it appeared to take the police so long to get the enquiry going..

So where was the bin lorry heading then, MelmothTheLost? Could someone with Facebook ask on the Find Corrie page where the bin lorry was heading and which landfill site they keep referring to is?

I don't think it's been entirely cleared up where it was heading. The most likely thing is that it made one or more collections in the area of the roundabout or Mildenhall. After that, who knows?
I'd guess back to the Hollow Road Biffa site via a few dozen places such as food outlets, hotels, pubs, shops etc?

Or onto a larger recycling facility elsewhere. I think details of one in the Thetford area have been posted previously, and there may be others. However the facility at Barton Mills/Mildenhall is purely for household recycling, not bulk or commercial.

Thanks for the info! But gah, again the truth has been bent. It could have been described as a waste recycling center, which is what it is, and not a landfill, which it definitely is not. I worked on a landfill. That site is not even close to being one, by name, definition or anything of the sort. Why did they choose this terminology?

Waste recycling is processed. Therefore what they would have to search is nothing like the task of searching a landfill. Just look at the site itself, by the looks of it, it has one large building for the processing and that's it. It's in the middle of a conservation area (Thetford Forest) so of course it isn't a landfill. So um, they didn't have time to search one building which is what appears to make up the entirety of the "Barton Mills landfill"? Or is it that everything gets incinerated immediately or something?

[/I]I don't think it's been entirely cleared up where it was heading. The most likely thing is that it made one or more collections in the area of the roundabout or Mildenhall. After that, who knows?

Or onto a larger recycling facility elsewhere. I think details of one in the Thetford area have been posted previously, and there may be others. However the facility at Barton Mills/Mildenhall is purely for household recycling, not bulk or commercial.
Pretty sure Tony's November update says the bin lorry went to mildenhall recycling centre.

The bin lorry timeline was elaborated on in the November 20th update:

The Bin Lorry. The bin Lorry collected 1 bin. Recycling waste. The lorry had cameras on it, but they are for viewing only, not recording. The bin it collected was weighed when it was lifted into the back, showing only 11kg of material was in it (Corrie is around 85Kg). It then drove to its next pick up in Mildenhall, then on to the recycling centre. It did pass by Fiveways roundabout at Barton Mills, but we know for certain that it did not stop at any point on its journey from BSE to the next pick up or its final destination.

http://www.findcorrie.co.uk/2016/11/21/left-in-a-vehicle-20th-november-update/

2nd question, we were discussing the possibility of him going AWOL,

Nicola is convinced that he could not go AWOL, we've queried what his relationships were with those at his camp/base, she seems to think they were very close?! Has anyone actually got a source they can credit as saying that his relationships were more difficult or is that just rumour?

Also, why did they not report him as AWOL? Did someone mention their opinion on this earlier in the thread? Why is this 'not Corrie? Surely anyone who decides to go AWOL behaves, or attempts to behave in a consistent manner so as not to arise suspicion?

not causing offence - just asking for clarification
The disappearance is entirely out of character for Corrie, whose RAF comrades in 2 Squadron have become like “brothers” to him.
Nicola said: “Corrie has not decided to just disappear, absolutely not. The RAF did not report Corrie as AWOL, which would be their normal procedure, they immediately reported him as missing and they took this to the highest level as soon as they could because this is not Corrie.

Im trying to get this kid of mine to bed but I didn't want to forget this. Why was he reported missing and not awol?

Thanks for the info! But gah, again the truth has been bent. It could have been described as a waste recycling center, which is what it is, and not a landfill, which it definitely is not. I worked on a landfill. That site is not even close to being one, by name, definition or anything of the sort. Why did they choose this terminology?

I was under the impression that the term "landfill" was first used by Nicola or Tony who were using it in its most generic sense. As people from well out of the area they probably didn't know what the local facilities and arrangements were so simply used a very general word that in retrospect turned out to be very confusing.

The bin lorry timeline was elaborated on in the November 20th update

http://www.findcorrie.co.uk/2016/11/21/left-in-a-vehicle-20th-november-update/[

It then drove to its next pick up in Mildenhall, then on to the recycling centre. It did pass by Fiveways roundabout at Barton Mills

See, to me there is nothing there that says that the recycling centre it went on to was that at Barton Mills/Mildenhall, especially as that one is very clearly a household recycling facility.

http://www.greensuffolk.org/recycling/HWRC/mildenhall-hwrc/

These were commercial pickups so "The recycling centre" suggests to me that it went on to a commercial facilitity elsewhere.

This surely shouldn't be a difficult point to put to bed once and for all, especially given the amount of confusion it has caused over the past 2 months.

See, to me there is nothing there that says that the recycling centre it went on to was that at Barton Mills/Mildenhall, especially as that one is very clearly a household recycling facility.

These were commercial pickups so "The recycling centre" suggests to me that it went on to a commercial facilitity elsewhere.

This surely shouldn't be a difficult point to put to bed once and for all, especially given the amount of confusion it has caused over the past 2 months.

"e Bin Lorry. The bin Lorry collected 1 bin. Recycling waste. The lorry had cameras on it, but they are for viewing only, not recording. The bin it collected was weighed when it was lifted into the back, showing only 11kg of material was in it (Corrie is around 85Kg). It then drove to its next pick up in Mildenhall, then on to the recycling centre. It did pass by Fiveways roundabout at Barton Mills, but we know for certain that it did not stop at any point on its journey from BSE to the next pick up or its final destination"

I took this as mildenhall recycling cente

Waste recycling is processed. Therefore what they would have to search is nothing like the task of searching a landfill. Just look at the site itself, by the looks of it, it has one large building for the processing and that's it. It's in the middle of a conservation area (Thetford Forest) so of course it isn't a landfill. So um, they didn't have time to search one building which is what appears to make up the entirety of the "Barton Mills landfill"? Or is it that everything gets incinerated immediately or something?

Another major argument against the bin lorry having used the Barton Mills/Mildenhall facility is that it does not open before 9am.

Why would the lorry driver make a pickup in the area at 4.30am or whenever it would have been and then hang around doing Giod knows what for another four and a half hours?

I really think we need one of the locals to trot along to this facility tomorrow and take photos for us.

Another major argument against the bin lorry having used the Barton Mills/Mildenhall facility is that it does not open before 9am.

Why would the lorry driver make a pickup in the area at 4.30am or whenever it would have been and then hang around doing Giod knows what for another four and a half hours?

I really think we need one of the locals to trot along to this facility tomorrow and take photos for us.

That's an interesting point. Does it allow public people to use it? So opening times for public and commercial can access it/leave their lorries there?

Ok so I've been off browsing - few questions....here's the first

The interview with Colin Sutton, he says they've searched the landfill for the phone? I thought they hadn't?

From itv.com

"The fact it went off at Barton Mills was the reason the police searched the rubbish tip, as the phone was communicating there.
"The fact it hasn't been found is unfortunate but searching places like that is very difficult."

I didn't think the landfill had been searched either. I was also very surprised as to why they would want to as recycling doesn't go to landfill surely?

the frustrating thing is that I doubt they held into the cctv all that long, and never even thought to watch it as soon as the enquiry started, as it appeared to take the police so long to get the enquiry going..
Talking of the 24 hr mcd the original cctv hub was put at that location and presumably that's partly how they maybe reduced the original 39 down to 23 plus all the appeals etc. I cannot believe the police would not have got the cctv from either the petrol station or McD at the same time surely? Especially as they dragged the pod over that way. Maybe look back at the police updates or someone on here will know. The waste went to the recycling with only one additional collection at mildenhall I think I read. This has already been gone thru but the point about the (vehicle?) Cctv at McD could be important, especially as that would be the only place open at 4.30 a.m. for food and refreshments, which we have briefly discussed before. So our questions are? - was cctv seized from any locations at that roundabout? If so, has it been viewed? Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member