UK - Gaia Pope, 19, found deceased, Swanage, Dorset, 7 Nov 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would say if they were going to give her anything for the PTSD and anxiety, on top of whichever meds she would be taking for the epilepsy, that Valium or Diazepam would be the one most gp's would prescribe.

They would be the most obvious prescriptions for the symptoms, however, GPs are very reluctant to prescribe either, due to the spotlight on dependency, and the studied relationship with suicide recently documented. Diazepam is occasionally prescribed, but usually in a short term (7 day), low (2/5mg) dose

Isn't diazepam also the medication prescribed for epilepsy?

Yes it can be- there are a load of different types of drugs for the condition depending on the nature of the seizures.

I jumped to diazepam as what she would probably be given for PTSD and extreme anxiety as it shouldn't interact badly with other meds she may be on for the epilepsy. Also it is quite commonly prescribed by GP's. As it is addictive, it may not be something they would want to give a young girl over a long period of time.

Apparently she enjoyed hiking along the cliffs in that area so if she was panicking she may have run to a place she felt safe.

alternatively she may have been heading home to Langton and decided to take the scenic route. If she wanted to avoid the high street as she was scared then the only other two ways to Langton are along priests way or the cliff path where she was found.

I haven’t been able to fully catch up but did they manage to identify the person by the car on the next get Gaia went missing?
It seemed to be very close to the fields where her clothes were found.

I also noted that in one Instagram photo, there was a lovely photo of Gaia on a picnic blanket taken in a very similar area to where the police searched. Just made me wonder if it was a place she would go to think or something, at the same age if I was upset I often walked along a beach, always sat on the same rock.

Can’t help wishing the big search was done sooner, with a chance of finding her alive. I imagine questions will be asked and the police may well end up referring it for review.

I’m late in the day but was involved in a similar search years ago and the last person to see the Missing person (later found deceased) was also immediately arrested on suspicion of murder, I was stunned at this but remember the police telling me it was procedure, especially if there was something questionable in the early stages.
This person was then bailed until their alibi/statement was checked out. Even now 20years later the death was left as an open verdict as they couldn’t be sure it was suicide and couldn’t rule out foul play. But didn’t have enough evidence for murder!

I pray that Gaia’s family get some closure on this as it would be unbearable to live with. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dots that's an awful situation. And my worst nightmare. For the deceased, their family, and also the suspect. We would hope that with all the resources available to us now that this couldn't happen. As an advocate for justice, I look forward to the day where doubt is eliminated x

Sad to hear her body has been found. Poor girl. This has been a very confusing case! I think they had good reason to suspect murder, but I could be wrong.

Dots that's an awful situation. And my worst nightmare. For the deceased, their family, and also the suspect. We would hope that with all the resources available to us now that this couldn't happen. As an advocate for justice, I look forward to the day where doubt is eliminated x

Yes, it still haunts me and others now and has had a profound effect on us all. The only positive, though hard to bare is that they do reviews every year to see if any new info has come. It is very hard not knowing as we feel like we have somehow let her down. I really hope Gaia’s Family and even those under suspicion get closure and Gaia is at peace,[emoji1374]
Thanks for your input Lucy, it is great to hear your views [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry- I am being thick lol- what I mean is do the police have to come out at some point and say they are cleared? Or no longer under investigation? Or, for instance, if this was ruled as accidental death, can the police say nothing at all and we just presume they are not under investigation anymore.

From http://www.sahotasahota.co.uk/released-under-investigation/

"At the conclusion of the investigation, the police should notify you of the outcome. This may be that you will receive a postal requisition or a summons to attend the Magistrates’ Court or a letter to say that no further action (NFA) will be taken in respect of the matter."

I gather from reading the rest of the article this was due to a change in legislation in April 2017 affecting how bail can be used.

Yes it can be- there are a load of different types of drugs for the condition depending on the nature of the seizures.

I jumped to diazepam as what she would probably be given for PTSD and extreme anxiety as it shouldn't interact badly with other meds she may be on for the epilepsy. Also it is quite commonly prescribed by GP's. As it is addictive, it may not be something they would want to give a young girl over a long period of time.

I can tell you from experience that 19 year olds are not routinely prescribed valium or Diazepam! And neither are a go to drug for treating PTSD.

My middle daughter was prescribed Diazepam for Hemi-Dystonia following a Stroke at 13 and she was given a prescription for only 4 tablets at a time and that was reluctantly but they were running out of ideas...

I wonder if perhaps she was self medicating. Diazepam is sometimes given as a ‘rescue medicine.’ (‘Buccal’ and Ativan are other common ones) So you’d be prescribed a daily medicine but also have a small stash of a more powerful sedative for times of emergency/protracted episodes. While there are strict guidelines for its usage within an individuals epilepsy care plan, there’s absolutely nothing to stop someone using it.

Isn't diazepam also the medication prescribed for epilepsy?

You're taking me back to my early days of training now Elainera!! 😁 Diazepam is a muscle relaxant. 2 decades ago, the most common use of Diazepam was in rectal administration form, to provide a quick muscle relaxant to people suffering an epileptic seizure. So in that sense, you are correct. However, as medicine has progressed, we are now providing preventative, rather than reactive, medicine for people with epilepsy. Regular prescriptions are for Kepra or Leveteracetam, with emergency supply of buccal midazolam which can only be administered by trained professionals

Buccal is frequently given to families as at home rescue medicine in the U.K. - 20 minutes training from an epilepsy nurse and a yearly 100ml stash. Possibly 2x100ml - one for school/college if they have an attached nurse.

Can anyone local pinpoint the field the clothing was found and the area the police were searching today where they recovered poor Gaia? I am not clear as to where looking at google maps. Near the coastal path is quite a vague location...

Sorry- I am being thick lol- what I mean is do the police have to come out at some point and say they are cleared? Or no longer under investigation? Or, for instance, if this was ruled as accidental death, can the police say nothing at all and we just presume they are not under investigation anymore.[/QUOTE]

Not thick at all Foxy. Sometimes there is no conclusion. We have had many situations where the coroner's report has concluded, but the criminal investigation us still open, and probably vice versa

Gutted for Gaia and family. Such a sad outcome.

Whilst the hypothermia theory is very plausible, I just can't shake off feeling really uneasy about certain events/behaviour.

Mainly the complete lack of empathy/concern by RD in the interview. Being a family friend you would expect some emotion or hope of finding her, but nothing. Unless she knew more of course.

Then the timely appearing/disappearing acts of PE. Too many coincidences for my liking.

Was it a coincidence that the body was found on same day as massive search effort today and PE going into hiding again? I do wonder if there's somehow a link.

My gut feeling is that police have known what they are doing all along and their suspects have played right into their hands. If this wasn't a tragic accident, i'm pretty sure the police will make sure justice is served.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Can anyone local pinpoint the field the clothing was found and the area the police were searching today where they recovered poor Gaia? I am not clear as to where looking at google maps. Near the coastal path is quite a vague location...
DM just published this pic. Looks really close to the clothes.

http://dailym.ai/2ARGi0b

(Hope I'm referencing link right - still a newbie!)
16583b7272a669efd98465904f99929b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Based on this pic from the Bournemouth Echo who state this is where the clothes were found....

I think this is the field?:

HC9c.png

Do you think the police statement that Gaia’s death remains unexplained, indicates there aren’t many visible injuries? Or might it be that after several days, decomposition would be significant enough to hide existing trauma?

For the police to have arrested 3 people on suspicion of murder there must have been *something* if not many somethings not adding up.

I’m struggling with the notion as a heavy smoker, PE lives with & was painted as the main carer for his mother who has COPD & requires compressed oxygen. That doesn’t seem advisable!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back